Director of Saab Germany resigns

A Googletrans from a press release received overnight.

——

Saab Germany: Hans-Jörg Hänggi, National Director resigns

• Hans-Jörg Hänggi, National Director of Saab Germany, is leaving the company on 31 December 2010
• Kjell-Åke Eriksson’s appointed Acting National Director
• Search for new National Director is already running

As Saab Automobile said today that Hans-Joerg has Hänggi, National Director Saab Germany, determined to Saab Automobile 31 to leave in December of the year to pursue new professional opportunities. With the resignation of Hänggi will take Kjell-Åke Eriksson limited in time, the position of National Director for the German market. The search for a new National Director has already started and Saab expects to soon be able to provide notice.

Kjell-Åke Eriksson has extensive experience in the German market. Eriksson headed from 2008 to 2009 in his role as Managing Director Saab Germany for over a year the German team. This Eriksson: “Although the reason is for my return to Germany a surprise, but I’m looking forward to another collaboration with the German merchants and the professional team from Saab Germany. I have the feeling of coming home, and I am confident that the changeover will go smoothly from Amsterdam. ”

“We will in the coming weeks, the precise transition plan and the division of tasks between Hans-Jörg Hänggi and I work out,” continued Eriksson. “The search for a new National Director has already begun and will surely soon come to a conclusion.”

Jan-Åke Jonsson, Saab Automobile’s CEO, said: “Naturally we are disappointed that Hans-Jörg Hänggi is leaving Saab, but I respect his decision. I would now take this opportunity to thank him for his dedicated work over the last ten years. ”

In announcing his decision Hänggi said: “They offered me an opportunity that can not ignore. I deeply regret, however, to leave Saab. I have worked for more than ten years in various national and international positions with great joy for the Saab brand. “

Bravada from GMI
The history book on the shelf is simply repeating itself. There will be many comments regarding the whys and the implications, but I’d like to pause for a moment and wonder why is Saab so quick to fill all the positions they created along the way. I understand they had to rebuild, or even build from scratch, entire swathes of their organization, but in view of their well-voiced cash-conservative strategy, over-staffing with executives is the least one should do. The ever-slow sales prove that somehow the sheer presence of an executive does not produce sales, and many experienced guys stumbled… Read more »
Paddan
Paddan

I concur with your comments. Well said.

ARUK
ARUK

+1.

Sam Y
Sam Y

that would be adream job for a saab fan will a lot less money

till72
till72

Me
Me
Bravada, you are mostly right, but Saab wasn’t Saab if it wouldn’t move faster than most expect. Saab Germany are only about half a dozen people and it is not an independent organization but depends directly from Saab in Sweden, almost everything (afaik) is done in Sweden. Sometime in August a second Saab Germany was created, and it was created as a branch of Saab Automobile AB. Now we have two points of view. 1) Mr Hänggi didn’t perform and Saab took the consequence. Which seems plausible looking at the sales numbers. 2) Mr. Hänggi had the idea to build… Read more »
till72
till72

Maybe it’s not important why he is leaving. But that he is leaving gives some hope that things are moving.

Bravada from GMI
Six people = 100 sales a month? This means every person has to be paid out of less than 20 cars, which also have to cover the transportation, marketing, IT etc. costs AND let the dealer and his personnel eat their Christmas pudding. Either those people earn laughably little, which would mean they are probably either hopeless or hopelessly undermotivated (I don’t believe in “substituting pay with enthusiasm”, you burn out quickly), or grossly overpaid given the results. I honestly don’t know the automotive standards here. I guess Alfa, Lancia, Chrysler, Jaguar and whoever else might be similarly overstaffed in… Read more »
michaelb
michaelb
I do not think anybody here should give comments on personal performance of Saab executives or employees – neither for Germany nor for the US. Without exact knowledge of circumstances, restrictions, decisionmaking processes – in other words what just an insider may have insights about – it is unfair to give such judgements. And an insider should be prohibited to give such judgements in an open forum. Moreover, business managers that do fine in well established and well running organisations, might not do so or not feel comfortable in a turnaround situation. This does not imply something negative about them,… Read more »
Me^
Me^

Michael,
I don’t intend to be personal on Mr Hänggi, but Saab DE has underperformed, for whatever reason, and he is in charge, so he is responsible for that. Managers get mostly paid only because of the responsibility they have to take.

And after all I said there may be two possible scenarios why he has left.

It is true, that Saab needs a big Diesel for the 9-5 and the still to come 9-4x, but at least where I live I seldom see a Diesel with AWD on the streets, no matter the brand.

Tompa
Tompa

I say, run Saab Germany out of The Netherlands. They have proven to be people with a great heart for Saab. So go you crazy dutchies GO!

😉 Cheers/Tom

jos
jos

LOL, actually SAAB NL is being run from Beherman i.e. SAAB Belgium… After the demise of Croymans last year.

Baracuda
Baracuda

And Kroymans was the biggest disaster the Dutchies did to all Saab Dealers in Germany.

saabaudi
saabaudi

Another example how difficult the German market is for Saab. It`s a disappointing fact concerning German Saab dealers, They never have been acquainted with a constant leadership of the Saab administration in Germany the last 10 years.

Thylmuc
Thylmuc

Considering that just some years ago, Saab sold 10,000 cars per year in Germany, anticipating a need for a stuff of 6 is not totally unreasonable. I think that nobody really knows what happened in Germany, but Saab needs to find out urgently.

Thylmuc
Thylmuc

Some yearly numbers for newly registered Saabs in Germany: 2000: 7489; 2001: 8157; 2002: 6652; then more or less steadily declining to 2008: 3797. Wasn’t 2002 the year the new 9-3 came out? If so, the Germans did not like it.

SAAB_andee
SAAB_andee

Germany as Austria were typically hatch markets – the 9-3 sedan wasn´t that saab people identified with.
of course there is a huge combi/wagon market.
and then there ist the bad reporting about saab after they were purchased from gm. every newspaper – car magazine always repeats that the 9-3 is based on the opel.
and opel hasn´t a good image