I know Saabs are good in winter conditions, but this is crazy!

Poor thing.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NN5cJf_HVM

For some more pleasing and elegant eye candy, here’s a Dutch test of four cars that people wouldn’t traditionally expect to have all-wheel-drive. One of them is the Saab 9-5.

OK, it’s in Dutch, but the scenery’s nice.

1975SAAB99
1975SAAB99

That poor 900! :O As for the Dutch road test: It has nice footage but for the rest it’s.. not that good. It doesn’t deserve the name ‘test’ as it’s just some guys playing around in the snow with several completely incomparable cars. Nice that they were positive about the 9-5 though, eventhough they really didn’t go very in-depth with it. They did mention the Opel influence in both chassis and interior areas, that’s something that will never go away I’m afraid.

B
B

Can it be that expensive to get rid of that Opel steering wheel? Seems that it appears in both 9-5 and 9-4x … A small detail in otherwise fantastic new cars

MillerMan
MillerMan

Here’s another one. Very old local piece about a road that’s like an ice track. With two little boys acting all tough, a reporter that’s boring as hell and random people coming out of the cars involved, this is hilarious even if you don’t speak Dutch.

But important: see that car at 2:10 driving by without any problem? Yep, you guessed it…

MillerMan
MillerMan
David
David

I’d really like to know what the Dutch Journalist thought about the 9-5’s XDW in snow. Dutch translators wanted!

Edonis
Edonis

I second that!

I must say, the 9-5 looks like a supermodel! I can’t believe how sexy it looks from some angles!

1975SAAB99
1975SAAB99
Here’s a translation for you: We are here in Austria in the Glaunentaler Gletcher Strasse. That’s a good location to test these four cars. They are four completely different cars but they have one thing in common: They’re cars that are normally not often orderd with the 4wd option, but you cán have it. In the Netherlands, only a hand full of VW Golfs are ordered with 4motion, a four wheel drive system. But it comes standard on the Golf R. And it does indeed feel better, when the 270 horses are distributed over all four wheels rather than just… Read more »
Edonis
Edonis

Thank you for the detailed translation! 🙂

eggsngrits

That 9-5 looks fantastic plowing through the snow! (I wonder why Dutch viewers would be interested in mountain driving performance — they live in Holland?)

Wulf

Yes, they live in Holland but they are allowed to leave the country.. 😉 Germany, Switzerland and Austria are not that far away. Amsterdam Austria is only about 600 miles/1000 kms. Germany and Belgium have some nice hilly country roads as well.

Lonnie
Lonnie

Holland is a nice place to live but all the flat terrain can get boring. I used to live there and we would leave almost every weekend and go to Germany or the Ardennes in Belgium; even Luxembourg sometimes.
There are some really fun roads not far away — especially in the Ardennes.

And to be fair, there are some hills around Arnhem and Maastricht — well slight elevation changes anyway . =)

Richard
Richard

Gorgeous HD photography production on the “test” drive piece, but I agree that the cars compared were anything but similar. Brilliant to see the 9-5 in it’s natural snowy environment 😉 and that snow covered curvy road is a Saab driver’s slice of heaven!

I’ve forgot why 9-3 TTiD doesn’t have a XWD option? It could really breath new life into this old boy, especially with the interior upgrade around the corner.
Heck, I could pull the trigger for one if they’d just got the backseat fixed in the SC. (the boot/trunk floor really needs to become flat when folded in a 5-door SAAB!). Practicality, remember?

Forgot to say that throw in a 9-3 version of DriveSense in there as standard as well for MY11.5 and we can stop talking about discounted Saabs. If the current model is going to be the bread and butter for a few more years, better make the upgrade attractive to us Saabers first and foremost.

Börjesson
Börjesson

Swade cleared up the 9-3 XWD question recently, in this comment.

saabdude
saabdude

Beautiful scenery…beautiful photography. The cars look fantastic, and the SAAB looks right at home playing in the snow.

BUT…8.8 seconds for 0-100kph for the 2.0L XWD Turbo4? That’s pretty pathetic.

My ’08 9-5 SC Aero was rated at 7.5 seconds, with a fairly similar GVWR. And my Audi A5 2.0L 4 cyl. TFSI, which weighs under 200 lbs. less, is rated at 6.2 seconds for 0-60 mph by Car and Driver, so 0-100 KPH is only a tick slower.

(http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q4/2010_audi_a5_2.0t-short_take_road_test)

Those numbers REALLY need to improve.

saabdude
saabdude

…and yes…I know the C&D reprot shows the car wighing in at 3649 lbs…but my state registration shows the car wieghs 3950 lbs.

Rune
Rune

This morning (around 5:30am) there was about 10 cm snow on the highway (in the fast lane). A slow truck was in front of me… I simply drifted into the fast lane, accelerated to about 100 kph and kept going.

The 9-5 was like a snow plow at that point. Rock steady too.

Edonis
Edonis

That’s one of the many reasons I love Saabs. When many other cars have to be left in the driveway in snowy weather (esp. mb’s and beemers), Saabs are up to the job.

“The 9-5 was like a snow plow (…)” 😀