Poll: Smartphones and mobile use

Saab have recently announced an upgraded Saab app for the iPhone and iPad, but as far as I know, there isn’t an official Saab app for Android (there are a couple of skins).

From what I can tell (I’m not a smartphone user), iOS and Android comprise the overwhelming majority of app providers and users when it comes to smartphones and whilst it gave the others a huge headstart, Android is gaining huge ground on all other smartphone systems right now. In fact, today there was a tweet from one of Google’s VP’s stating that Android phones were being activated at a rate of 300,000 per day.

I thought I’d do a quick straw poll and see what smartphone systems people are using. The iOS app is fantastic. But with Android growing at such a huge rate, it’s a space that Saab will have to get into soon.

Please click to make your selection. You can select up to two systems.

What sort of smartphone do you use?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

——

FYI – the mobile device stats for SU in the last 30 days are as follows….

Use of mobile devices is still a relatively minor source of traffic for SU at under 5% of visits. The seemingly instant growth of the iPad is interesting.

Trent
Trent

The iOS share worldwide is still much higher then android and in Saabs key markets, US, Western europe, the Iphone is still King. Thier is also a major hurdle for Andriod apps in that there is many different versions and the developer needs to test it on each, where as iOS its only 2, so its basicaly biggest bang for the littlest bucks.

David H
David H
the use of the iPad will only explode with the 2nd generation….a lot of us Apple users being burnt before know to always skip the 1st generation. i ind it funny that Saab would co develop apps for both the android and blackberry systems…i know it costs money buy they need to promote the brand….if SonyEricsson is going to be a brand partner why wouldnt you have an app on their phone? also the blackberry crowd here in the States are the ones that will be actually buying luxury vehicles. they are the new blood that saab need. the app… Read more »
Thylmuc
Thylmuc

The poll doesn’t seem to work from my iPhone which might bias the results.

I get a “Loading” message below the vote button and nothing happens when I try voting.

benrp
benrp
benrp
benrp
J.R.

i miss the choice “none” 😉

matt
matt

I’m hoping to get a droid in Feb so it would be very cool if Saab came out with something for it. I could show it to all of my friends and then they might want to get one too (if any of have money being college students and all). It would be cool if there was something that Saab also made as a plugin of some sort for older Saabs for newer handheld devices. I would buy whatever it was for my 2002 Saab 9-3.

Aero
Aero

Considering the corporation between Sony Ericsson (Android) and Saab in other areas – I find it strange that there is no app avalible for X10. Just in October this year Sony Ericsson and Saab arranged a photo competition at Paris Motor Show.

Thylmuc
Thylmuc

And I also cannot view the results. There is an issue with how this html is set up. Am I the onky iPhone user having problems?

Max

I’ve recently switched from iPhone to Android (Sony Ericsson XPeria X10), my son-in-law is getting an HTC running Android for X-Mas. Although our Saab is a venerable 1999 9-5 Estate, we don’t have any integration problems: we use a Kensington FM tuner which is doing a great job at a minimal cost 🙂

Janne
Janne

The first thing I do in the morning, is to use my Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (with Android version 2.1) to check the news at Saabs United. After that I check all the other major news before I get up… 🙂

I also check all the latest comments at Saabs United at bed time… 😀

Max

I do that too while commuting by bus (I like riding, but I even like more the concept of sitting confortably and have someone drive for me) or whenever I don’t have anything to do 😀

JH
JH

I write this from my Nokia cellphone with Symbian OS and the Opera Mini browser and it works very well. 🙂

Tim O'Brien
Tim O'Brien

Swade

re the issue of column width, that’s for readability, if you ask any marketing expert , say for eg Curvin O’Reilly you’ll find 26 alpha numerics per line in column width enhances readability.

Millerman
Millerman
I thought Saab people were independent and not crowd followers, how come everyone uses iPhones? 😉 Sorry for the little troll there. I currently use Windows Mobile, but next year I will probably switch to Android. I am all for customizability, but unfortunately WinMo isn’t supported a lot anymore. And I am not sure if the iPad should be listed as a mobile device. You don’t list laptops either right? Or tablets running on Windows 7 for that matter. It’s not a device you easily slip in your pocket, can’t browse while walking along the riverside. It’s used in the… Read more »
Stefan
Stefan

“I thought Saab people were independent and not crowd followers, how come everyone uses iPhones?”
You can say that what Apple did some years ago when they presented the iPhone was being independent and not following the crowd. Now everybody else, including Microsoft, Google, SE, and Nokia are following the crowd. And so are obviously you 😉

MillerMan
MillerMan

I wish I didn’t have to, but when apps like WhatsApp aren’t developed for WinMo, I’ll go for the second most adaptable OS. Besides, WinMo 6.5 is getting really outdated and WinMo 7 is indeed following iOS, which is exactly why I won’t get it. Too many restrictions.

Smithy

I’m one of those iPod touch users.
Steven’s mobile version package of the site works really well, but it looks quite standard and you should be able to add a slick header, right?

Denn
Denn

Thylmuc: I have the same issue with my iPhone4, cannot vote and see the results

J Fan
J Fan

I rely on semaphore and smoke signals 🙂

steve
steve

They still haven’t changed SAABUSA site for iphone when using the browser- still shows 9-7x and old 9-5

I love how it says 2010 GM at the bottom still – I think they would be better off shutting the site down or re-directing the traffic to SU than leaving that up. I googled SAAB on my phone and saabusa.com at is the number 2 site it pulls up behind SAAB.com which does not work on my phone because of Flash.

Peter Gilbert
Peter Gilbert
I use a Nokia but I chose to block text capability because I was inundated with mindless twaddle, being billed for nefarious sites which my carrier had to reimburse me big-time. Being colorblind it is very difficult to even read the screen (which is why I chose the Nokia, which had the better screen). I have carpel-tunnel from all my years of driving. In short these phones are designed by kids who have no idea what their thumbs will be like a few decades from now. I also do not use the camera because of visibility reasons and use a… Read more »
David H
David H

everyone has been clamouring to do get a partnership with apple. apple is the most valuable brand in the world right now. it doesn’t benefit them to partner with anyone b/c they can’t control the marketing and behavior of what another company does.

Saab should stick with a Scandinavian brand like Ericsson….especially if Sony makes a serious effort into developing mobile tech.
i think Nokia is the preferred partner b/w they develop a lot of tech in house with their operating system and are very innovative

im going to say it again. celebrity endorsement

Bernard
Bernard
I’m in the business, so here’s my take on this. So-called “apps” are, for the most part, the equivalent to what non-Iphone users call “bookmarks.” That’s why no one has managed to make any money selling apps for platforms other than the Iphone. Other than for games, there’s really no reason for non-Iphone users to even download apps. You can see how this works right in the comments for this article. Iphone users are noticing that some basic piece of web functionality doesn’t work on their devices, while everybody else is fine. This means that we’ve effectively got two internets… Read more »
Me
Me

I didn’t want to post any comments here, as many know me as the Anti-Apple Saaber, but I want to say Bernard, what you are saying is exactly what I tried to say here many times, maybe I have been less diplomatic 😉

JH
JH

“Me”: Count me in as one of those Anti-Apple Saabers! 😉

Bernard: Great post, interesting to read! I am pretty much of an outsider in the web browser world since I am one of the quite few who uses the Opera Browser, and also one of the even fewer who does it proudly on Windows Vista… On the mobile side it’s Symbian S60 and Opera Mini all the way! 😉

Edonis
Edonis
I use a HTC Legend running Android 2.2 Froyo, and sometimes use it to check SU while I’m sitting on public transportation etc. One of the reasons why I didn’t want to get an iPhone is that it has become too common, I feel like EVERYONE has one. Also, I don’t like the way Apple forces you to do it their way – you have very little control of customization. But ofcourse, iOS is very easy to use, and it “just works”, which is something many customers are after. It is however interesting that Apple can charge so much for… Read more »
Seb C
Seb C

Woohoo, #10 Samsung is all me I think… Saabsunited Mobile looks great and is easy to read on my Wave running Bada OS (I think the browser is called Dolphin).

Thylmuc
Thylmuc
Bernard: a lot of iPhone apps are not bookmarks in a wider sense. The same holds for Android apps. Concerning web standards, Apple trie to follow those, instead of relying on propriety technology. That is why there is no Adobe Flash support, but HTML5. Other than that, most web stuff should work alike. Safari is based on WebCore (developed by Apple) that is also used in Android, Palm Pre, Nokia S60 series, Chrome, and will be used by RIM. And while it is always a bit difficult to give a prognosis, I expect HTML5 to replace Flash within just a… Read more »
Me
Me
Thyl, don’t get too excited about Apple. WebKit was originally derived by Apple Inc. from the Konqueror browser’s KHTML software library for use as the engine of Mac OS X’s Safari web browser and has now been further developed by individuals from the KDE project, Apple Inc., Nokia, Google, Bitstream, Torch Mobile and others.[4] WebKit or WebCore or whatever was derived from Khtml and has been further developed by the community since 2007. And let me tell you something about this devil called Flash. Flash has reached in the web what no other technology had reached before, namely to publish… Read more »
Thylmuc
Thylmuc

Presently, more upset than exited. But the iPhone introduced a new operating parradigm to the masses, and made mobile internet feasible. There would be no Android without iPhone.

Bernard
Bernard
Thyl, The apps that aren’t bookmarks generally fall into two categories. They are either games, or they extend functionality that is missing in the OS. I don’t want to come across as being against the Iphone model. It obviously meets the needs of many smartphone customers, and Apple has done an impressive job of monetizing the experience (for themselves and for developers). My main point is that the answer to the question “does Saab need to release an app for Android, Symbian, WebOS, etc?” is “No.” In my opinion, they can cover those options (and many others) simply by making… Read more »
Thylmuc
Thylmuc
Well, I got an Hp41 emulator on my phone, to me the best pocket calculator ever. In this case, I absolutely concurr that this is a missing feature and should be standard on every phone. I presume it is on Android? There are however wide fields that pose concern re the bookmark aproach. One is availability outside the network’s radio range, eg. Navigating while trecking in remote places, or using the phone in highly shielded areas. The other is privacy. I just don’t want a computer not under my control to know where I am (at least not too often),… Read more »
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

I knew it SAAB and Appel appeals to the same market sector.
Why not for a strategic alliance between SAAB and Apple…..
Anyone knows what cars Steve Jobs drive?

Jeff
Jeff
Steve drives a silver Mercedes-Benz SL55 the last time anyone bothered to check. I do agree Saab should bend over backwards to get an alliance with Apple. Whenever there’s any mention of a new apple tie in or product, it gets instant headlines. People don’t even know if Saab still exists as a going concern. You want car people to know you’re still in business, sign a deal with BMW. You want the rest of the world to know you’re serious about selling a product, sign a deal with Apple. Wouldn’t it be something if they could get Apple to… Read more »
Curvin O'Rielly
Curvin O'Rielly

Years ago I lived in Seattle and drove a ’88 or ’89 9000 Turbo. Early one morning, when I was out and about running errands, a man in an Audi pulled up alongside me. He looked at me and smiled. I smiled back because it seemed like it was a nice gesture. Only when the light turned and he accelerated off into the distance did I realize that the man was Bill Gates.

Paul
Paul

If Saabsunited comments had a “like” button, I would click it! Cool story!

JH
JH

That’s not something that happens every day! :O Cool story indeed! 😀

Curvin O'Rielly
Curvin O'Rielly

I own a Droid and it runs on Verizon, the only network in the US worth a damn. (IMHO!) The Droid’s built-in navigation system is FABULOUS! It’s camera is excellent as well. I haven’t bought any apps, though I have downloaded a few free ones. The iPhone is coming to Verizon in a few months. Maybe I’ll switch. Probably not. A smartphone isn’t the most pressing issue in my life.

Jörgen Trued
Jörgen Trued

If human factors / man-machine-interaction people at Saab would make a cell phone i would most certainly be an Apple iPhone 4.
User interface and design is what both Saab and Apple is all about.
Both companies niched underdogs….

Beren Erchamion
Beren Erchamion

The difficulty of building an android app and the problem of multiple distros for android is an urban myth – its simply not a big deal for application developers. I run a mobile development group and we build apps for all the platforms.

The difference in adoption rates really comes down to Apple’s great marketing strategy coupled with consistent design. Its pretty simple to look up these numbers from various service companies.

RIM/Blackberry is a much more significant part of the pie than the current SaabUnited numbers are showing.