Saturday Snippets – the deal edition

Discussion surround US November Saab sales data has certainly been lively, with nearly 250 comments logged so far.

There are a lot of valid comments and suggestions in there and I really hope that some of the powers that be in the US and Sweden are reading them. These are your buyers (and a few of your dealers) talking here.

I’ve stayed away from contributing to the discussion, but might contribute my 2 cents in a post on here, soon.

One thing that I’d encourage people to bear in mind as they read/make suggestions, is that we are outside the circle and we’re coming at this discussion with incomplete knowledge of the situation. There are sometimes good reasons as to why things can’t happen as quickly as we’d like them to. I’ll try to cover off a few of these situations in my post. In those cases, it’s important that the situation is acknowledged for what it is.

——

I’d like to draw attention once again to a post I wrote a few months ago – I want the Saab.

There are some great Saab deals going around at the moment (see below) and whilst you might be able to get a BMW for $20 a month cheaper than these, you’ll be stuck with it.

Personally speaking, there are very few motoring requirements for which I’d want anything other than a Saab. Possibly about 5% of my motoring needs. For the other 95%, I can’t imagine driving anything else and being so well catered for or happy.

As I’ve said plenty of times here before – no other vehicle name that I’ve experienced has ever given me the combination of comfort, performance, utility and safety that a Saab does. And even if another nameplate came to within 10% of that, I wouldn’t want to own it. I want the Saab.

——

There are Saab dealers in the US who are now doing run-out deals on 2010 Saab 9-5s.

You can get this car, with loyalty and customer cash, for under $40,000 – and that’s the full-blown V6 XWD version.

New Salem Saab in Albany, NY are doing them, as are Dirito Bros Saab in Walnut Creek, CA. Probably others too.

It’s absolutely insane, but incredible value for what is an absolutely outstanding car to drive. Ask anyone who’s actually bought one and they’ll tell you.

——

Speaking of value, North Shore Saab on Long Island has Saab 9-3s, with XWD, at just under $300 a month.

Without XWD, they’re at $279 a month.

And 2011 Saab 9-5s (they have one in Java!) are available on a lease deal for $380 a month.

All are incredibly good value when you consider what you get for your money. That link has their current offers.

bk-aero
bk-aero
For me a Saab will always remain special. I currently drive Porsches every couple of days as I’m doing an internship there and they’re so much fun, so refined, luxurious, and quick and yes, I awfully want to own one. But my rattly, dated 900i fulfills not only my driver’s needs. It makes me happy. Each and every day. And that’s not only due to this – my first – car, it’s also the brand because of this special community, this pride to witness a unique rise from the ashes, and the helpfulness, kindness, and friendship I experienced among Saab… Read more »

Dont apologize for getting emotional, bk-aero, as I know exactly how you feel. I remember 18Dec09 as a truly terrible day for me when GM prematurely said they were closing Saab.
Isnt it odd how our cars can get us so emotional but then again its not really surprising as they are truly special. 🙂

JeremyP
JeremyP

Assuming you either currently own or can prove prior ownership of a 1995 or newer Saab, 2010 Saab rebates break out like this:

9-5 = $6,500

9-3 sedan/combi/9-3X = $8,500

9-3 convertible = $10k

Again, these assuome owner loyalty ($1k less if you don’t qualify). There is currently an additional $500 of Boston Auto Show bonus cash for residents of select New England states. Just thought you all should know…

Peter
Peter

California residents have been able to receive the Auto Show $500 Bonus since 11/19, but due to the LA and SF Auto Shows winding down, the incentive expires tomorrow at close of business. So there is just a two day window of overlap with the year-end “Holiday Bonus Cash” which went into effect today.

California SU readers: If you want one, go get one!

Who says Saab’s are expensive to lease with deals like these?

svx92
svx92

Reading MotorTrend. They pine over an A4 Avant 4 cylinder quattro “at $52,250 this thing isn’t cheap… But this one’s tough to beat”.

Issue also has an aero 9-5 sedan tested at $52,350. If SAAB is aggressive enough to keep the combi priced at the sedan levels then a9-5 combi vs an A4 Avant is a great value.

Chris Hansel
Chris Hansel
Tell you what guys, if I could figure out how to get into a new Saab without getting killed on my trade-in values on my 05 Aero, and my 9-5, both of which are high miles, I would do so straight away. I think this maybe a hidden problem to new Saab sales here in the States, which no one has yet discussed. A very high percentage of current Saab owners have high mileage cars that are diffucult to move. Not sure what can be done for folks in this situation, but I think it is a key to moving… Read more »
Alex
Alex

So, if they are selling the Aero XWD under 40k, are they making any money on the car or are they taking a loss?

Alex
Alex

I ask because a 40k Aero with XWD is a very attractive proposition, I’ve driven the 9-5 and it’s a fantastic car but even I have a problem parting with 50k for one but 40k puts it in a very attractive place. If this was the standard price I think we would be seeing a lot more sales.

Me
Me

Alex I assume a Aero at 40k is a black zero for Saab and leaves a very small margin for the dealer. But keeping those cars, as it seems they are hard to sell against the MY ’11 ones, is worse than only having a very small margin.
(not funded opinion)

V2rollerski
On Thursday November 11, I purchased a 2010 9-5, with all available options, from Charles River Saab in Boston. ( There were no dealers in NH that had the Aero with both the technology and Navigation package that’s why I went to Boston. ) Have been driving Saab’s since 1972 and love them. Of all the cars I have owned, including 3 Porsche, my favorite car is Saab. I traded my 2002 Aero combi for the 2010 Aero and got a very good deal. On November 16, with only 330 miles on the odometer, my wife and I went on… Read more »
John Schroeder
John Schroeder

Don’t forget about the Saab $500 rebate for members of the North American Saab Club!

Stephen Goldberger
Stephen Goldberger
under 40K for a full zoot 9-5 Aero is indeed a special price, but it also requires a special buyer. On the plus side you have what people always say they want – the biggest engine, the best chassis setting, and less of the extra gingerbread: sunroof, wood (or carbon fiber) trim. On the minus side – no wood trim, no sunroof, and the mpg and weight penalty of having the biggest engine and the best (i.e., XWD) chassis. With Saab loyalists, the competition for the 2010 9-5 (in the USA market) isn’t the 2011 9-5 Aero, it’s the 2011… Read more »
Ray Kopczynski

Swade —
Maybe I missed it, but did you do a follow-up with answers to the myriad questions given you to ask Victor, et al, at the LA Show ? I’m still interested in finding out about the “European Delivery” option — If/When it will ever see the light of day again. 🙂 Apologies if it has already been answered — point me to the link. Thanks!

Ray Kopczynski
Albany, Oregon

Stephen Goldberger
Stephen Goldberger

re: European Delivery in the USA

There is no reason this can’t happen quickly. All the infrastructure for European Delivery are in place, as they always have been. IDS is a sales division of Saab, as it always has been, and the shipping companies and customs brokers that were used for European Delivery to US customers were never part of Saab or GM. All it would take is the decision to move forward, development of a fee structure, and a dedicated individual to manage the program for Saab Cars of North America.

Paddan
Paddan

I think SCNA desparately needs to get its house in order (ie US sales) before it addresses European delivery, although I would like to see it return as soon as possible.

North Toronto Punter

I have to agree with Stephen G (and he knows the scene…).

Paddan: It would presumably be Americans (and Canadians) who would grab the opportunity so what’s there to lose?

SCNA getting it’s “house in order” is bordering on the Herculean. Here’s a small step that doesn’t have any downside (that I know of…unless they cock it up–but in my experience Swedes are some of the friendliest folk round…and can usually manage any ‘on the ground’ hiccups with aplomb and good humour!). And might–at risk of overusing the term– have some ‘Halo’ effect on conventional sales.

vince
vince

I’d have to agree with you on that one Swade 40k for a 2010 aero v6 is a damm good deal . the only thing however is the 2010’s don’t have a sunroof so if your one of those people who can’t live without a sunroof your out of luck . If I’m not mistaken some dealer in the u.s. had 2010 9-5 for 41 k brand new with 2 extra options included – vented seats, and tech. package sounds more like a steal than a deal to me.

Mailr
Mailr
I agree with the 95%, I usually long for getting back to a real car (Saab) when I’m forced to drive some other car for a longer period. I think it’s fairly obvious that the price isn’t the problem, getting people hooked is. 54 years ago when my dad bought his first Saab, the sellers were lining up at the house to offer test drives. The fact that not enough potential buyers are showing up at the stores might be fixed by improved advertising, but lowering the barriers for (long) test drive (as there is nothing to hide in the… Read more »
v2rollerski
Sun Roofs: We live in New England and all our cars in the past 20 years have come with sun roofs. Since I never use the sunroof, asked my wife and son if they used the sun roof on their cars. The answer was no so asked some other Saab owners and again the answer was : ” Hardly ever, really don’t need it”. Without the sun roof on my 2010 9-5 Aero I have more headroom, less weight and a sun roof is not inexpensive to produce. Would rather put the cost of a sun roof into something else… Read more »
John Schroeder
John Schroeder

I must agree on the discussion of sunroof use.

I rarely use the SR on my current 2008 9-5.

In fact the only Saab sunroof I really ever used with was the one that came with my 2005 Saab 9-3…convertible.

jcs