Sunday Night Snippets

Remember the vote over at Jalopnik earlier this year, to get the Saab 99Turbo as a potential entry into an update pack for Forza3?

Well, the time has nearly come, and Forza3 players can get the update pack, including the 99Turbo as well as the Delorean DMC12 and a bunch of others.

The update pack will be available from Tuesday, December 14. Details over at Jalopnik (where there’s no 99T photo – boo!)

——

Saab have dropped their breakeven point from 130,000 cars when GM owned it to around 105,000 cars.

So reports the Detroit Free Press.

Saab are aiming at a breakeven of 85,000 cars when things get fully sorted.

——

Some numbers from Till, from Jan-Nov in the German market:

Volvo XC60
6723 sold, 6584 diesel, 3218 AWD

Q5
21017 sold, 17996 diesel

X3
9385 sold, 8865 diesel

As you can see, and as has been argued exhaustively by many, the majority of potential Saab 9-4x competitors are sold with diesel engines. That’s for sure.

But there’s still room there for some ex-US 9-4x sales with no added cost to Saab’s budget.

——

Saab Cars North America are sponsoring a New Years Eve event in Royal Oak, the spot in Detroit in which they’re located.

Thanks Jeff!

——

Two Saab 9-5s have apparently caught fire in similar locations, and in similar circumstances….

Looks like it might be a dealer vehicle. I’m sure they’re investigating.

——

A little bit of housekeeping, if I may.

I’d like to repeat something I wrote in comments earlier today.

……please cut the “If Saab don’t do [the thing I think is important] then the company is doomed” statements. Saab are doing a million things right at the moment. The thing you think they’re doing wrong might make you wince, but please don’t condemn them for eternity for it – your pessimism can be contagious, whether it’s well founded or unfounded.

Let me add something else to that.

The thing you think they’re doing wrong? There’s probably a pretty good reason for it. Saab don’t talk about obstacles they face. They talk about their products and your item of concern – in the big-picture real-world – shouldn’t overshadow what are a great set of product offerings (and getting better).

This is Saabs United, an enthusiast website. It’s not SaabArmchairQuarterbacks.com or SaabMustSatisfyMEorDie.com.

Lift your eyes a little. Saab are doing everything they can.

Good housekeeping call mate.
I’m not sure it will be of much use if the new 9-5s start burning though… No matter how you try to spin that one, its bound to hurt big times. SAAB doesn’t deserve this!

Bravada
Ooooh, that’s not good news. I would like a confirmation that it’s the SECOND time around. It would also be nice if somebody from Saab bothered to inform Swade, and thus us, of the results of the investigation Is/are the, pardon the pun, “Phoenix” 9-5(s) TTiDs? Perhaps Opel was onto something then when they’ve said they have “temperature issues” with the TTiD engine. This brings about the question of how much of the TTiD is a Saab, and how much an Opel (or perhaps Fiat) job. Interestingly, the “old” TTiD has not been reported to have either fire or even… Read more »
Bravada

Ummm…

“reTRAINinig technicians”

“mistreated the car SOME other way”

Good morning!

Johan
Johan

I must say I like the info and writting from Swade but I dont generally like the comments from this site so there for I think I have a Christmas Holiday from SU. See u next year and a happy christmas!!

Jos
Jos

If you just want to see the articles and not the comments, just subscribe to the rss feed with the little orange icon in the regbt top corner, you will get the articles delivered in your newsfeed, and don’t need to go to the side to read Swades writings, so no need to be bothered with the comments…

74stingray
74stingray
The shame of it is that there are often some very well thought out comments that would be missed. Swade still runs a very tight, informative ship here and it is a shame that so many so called Saab followers are so dedicated on always bring up the wrongs of Saab.( the wrongs In their minds anyway) Sure, there are some things SCNA could be doing differently. But in the end i sit back and be damn happy to even have a SCNA to think about. @ Johan…. If you see this… You’re not alone for taking time away from… Read more »
bass900i
bass900i

on the plus side I’ve owned 4 Saab cars and have had one breakdown which turned out to be a voltage regulator. all up they build good cars.

Carl-Henrik
I would like to se the comparable numbers of those cars for the US market. How many of the ones sold in the US are diesels or not? The 9-4X is aimed at the US/CA-market at first – NOT the European. We all know that there will be no diesel for the 9-4X as it was planned/developed under GM and produced at a GM factory. So why complain then? We also do not know how the agreement is put into words between Spyker/Saab and GM for this car. And regarding the whining here sometimes.. yes – it is VERY frustrating.… Read more »
Me
Me

Good point.

I’ve got an easy answer, ZERO.
Those CUV’s are not available as Diesels in the USofA. Only the X5,Q7 and ML are offered as diesels.

My point exactly… 😉

TTAero
TTAero

This site is one of a kind. And it’s developed positive during the years thanks to Swades housekeeping. I do not understand how one man (and occacionly few other) can keep the site so clean and civile. There have been moments where I have felt like Johan. But Swade have sorted it out!
RESPECT Swade!

Your site is well known and appreciared not only among the nuts. I hear good things elsewhere.

+1. And in the midst of ALL the turmoil.
I like the honesty about this site. There is no bs or sucking up to anyone. If a new 9-5 catch fire for some reason, lets find out why and not just hide it. Brutal honesty is brutal most of the times.

SpinM
SpinM
Generally it’s good for a company – and Saab is no different – if there’s much talk about their products and much less about their internal problems. Every company has it’s own set of problems, but from what I hear, Saab is going the right way, making solutions, while some other car producers are getting depper into trouble (have some on my mind, but won’t mention them). About the products. I think Saab cars are having problem with the refference point of reviewers. It’s difficult to write something very negative about any of the big german 3. Everyone knows they… Read more »
Carl-Henrik

So true about the Audi – Skoda connections and so on.

And yes, the 9-5 and 9-4X are a legacy from the GM era. And a good legacy – not to forget!

TTAero
TTAero

Amen

Jank
Jank
“How come noone asks how similar Touareg and Cayenne (Volkswagen = people’s car and Porsche) are? Or an A4 and Seat exeo. I wonder how many parts are shared between Audi and Skoda. Doesn’t seem to bother anyone.” Amen indeed. You’ve hit the nail here; this is the biggest single issue Saab has in my humble opinion. How do I put it now? There is a.. an attitude, or a repeat pattern that runs through much of the reporting on Saab, a vicious circle one might say? There is much to be done, and I think SU readers can do… Read more »
Edonis
Edonis
I agree with you, Swade. While it’s very easy for us to condemn Saab for not doing something, we don’t have full information. Saab has competent people, and if it was a really simple solution to that problem, they would have addressed it in no time. As most of us commentors here are industry outsiders, we don’t know all the reasons for why Saab hasn’t done this or that. I’m sure they are doing their best with the funds that are available. Regarding the 9-5s catching fire, I really hope this is easily fixed. This would be the last thing… Read more »
74stingray
74stingray

+1 and +1 on both statements!

akzero
akzero
Dear Saab enthusiasts, I can not imagine buying a company that’s near death… from a corporation (GM) that essentially had been killing it for that last 10+ years. If I were the boss, I can think of a million things I’d need to being doing in the next 12 months. Many of the concerns mentioned in the comments section would be so far down that list. My local dealership recently closed its doors after 20+ years. The closest Saab shop is nearly 2400 miles away. Diesel is fine and all (I’d never own one) but when you can’t buy a… Read more »
Björn
Björn

Well, I must say that I agree in most of the cases with Swade and so it is here. It is also always easier to critizise something than to do something about it. By the way, I did the outmost I could: I ordered a new Saab 9-3 ttid SportCombi on Friday afternoon. Until Wednesday I will just have to make up my mind whether I shall include the “Xenonx/Leather”-premiumpackage or not.

Carl-Henrik

Congratulations to the soon-to-be-delivered new car! Which color and rims did you pick? And of course you will ad the premiumpackage. Just get as much out of it when you buy it.. otherwise you might regret it afterwards and then it is too late.

Björn
Björn

Dear Carl-Henrik
Thx! I was first thinking about Swade’s Java brown colour but I realized that I love also the arctic-white; the Swedish flag does also look much better on the white body work :-). Included are 17” alloy wheels. My dealer estimated a delivery time of 8 weeks but we agreed that the car will be delivered to me on April 5th which will be my 40th birthday…

Me
Me

Arctic white is fabulous !!!

Congrats !!!

till72
till72

Congrats. And getting the car delivered on your birthday is a great thing, I experienced that in February. 🙂

Rune
Rune

Björn, I am a big fan of xenon lights. Every little bit helps in the dark! 🙂

Also consider the xenons that can swivel from side to side.

Congratulations on your new ride! I hope it arrives soon.

TTAero
TTAero

The light is sooo important!

Dippen
Dippen

congrats Björn!:)

Swade

That’s awesome, Björn. Congratulations on the purchase.

And thanks to all for your understanding and support. It’s been a tough few weeks but the future is definitely bright (and the present’s pretty darn good, too).

Edonis
Edonis

Congratulations!

Xenons really help in the dark months of the year, and I don’t think you’ll regret including them if you do decide to do so!

Arild

Great Björn! Saab needs people like you who buy a current Saab in stead of whining about the perfect car that will never come.

Get the xenon if you can afford it. Saab’s xenon lights are among the best on the market and will help you spot the moose before it’s too late!

Mikaik
Mikaik

Congratulations, as a 93 SC TTiD owner I can only approve you decision. I’d get the xenon lights, if possible, they do make a difference.

Dippen
Dippen
matsvbg
matsvbg

Remember when Ferrari’s 458 Italia started catching fire this spring….I think Saab should treat this the same way they did…. Ferrari claimed it was a “thermal incident” not a fire… 😉

J Fan
J Fan

And there’s no such thing as bad publicity 🙂

SAAB_andee
SAAB_andee

offtopic – in the german newspaper sueddeutsche ther was an articele about the near term production of bmw. in the near future only 50 % of BMW were produced in germany . they even start production in india.

So SAAB really should be proud producing all cars (without the 94x) in trollhättan. an it would be great if the ng 94x also would be assambled in sweden

Sarah
Sarah
Were they not having issues with the Cadillac SRX engines or just GM motors in general “not very tuner friendly”? We all cringe when we think of the kind of engines put in our SAABs, those engines were not ment to compete with anything in GMs line up, You can defend SAAB all you want but you know those motors are Complete garbage….Sabatoge IMHO, GM does not want to see SAAB make it….thus Another good reason SAAB must develop there own engines. I do not mind BMW engines for the short term and would like to lease one. There was… Read more »

The only thing I can say is ‘Rome wasnt built in a day’. 🙂

Erich
Erich
I’ve had my fair share of negative comments myself. Its easy to be pessimistic and cynical about the world. So in the spirit of Christmas, here is what I am thankful for: – So many people noticing how truly special and iconic SAAB is. – The innovative spirit and resiliance of the employees of SAAB to get things up and running. – The dealers that have stuck by SAAB when it seemed there was little hope. – Each new person that discovers joys of a new SAAB and shares there experience with others. – The new 9-5, the new innovations,… Read more »
J Fan
J Fan
Swade, I just read through the comments that I think you are referring to. The lack of diesel in the 9-4X issue is now playing like a broken record, as are a few other topics which I’ve probably whined about too (website etc.). I know you always do your best to explain the situation, often replying to comments – to myself included – and will often follow up with a new post to explain further. While I usually take a break from this site at weekends etc., I realise that it must be a 24/7 thing for you – so… Read more »
J Fan
J Fan

OT: Sad to see that Tom Walkinshaw died today 🙁

till72
till72

That’s sad indeed! 🙁

GerritN
GerritN

For those who don’t know; Tom Wilkinson Racing together with Saabs Special Vehicle Operations was responsible for the development of the 9-3 Viggen.

Patrik B
Patrik B

SAAB needs to pay great attention on how they handle this. Volvo got some beating a few years back due to burning cars but I am not sure how it affected the sales.

If this reaches the main stream media SAAB will must handle this in a better way than how they “handled” the oil-sludge issue with the 9-5!

Muppen
Muppen

I do not understand, can´t we criticize Saab anymore on this blog?

We know that people at Saab read this blog, and I would not be surprised if they also become influenced by our criticism. I would also like to say that the criticism which we have mentioned are balanced and usually have a suggested solution.
And thats a good thing, i think!

J Fan

Vector 2.0T (220) €45,000

AUTOMATIC
Linear 2.0 T (220) €44,800
Vector 2.0 T (220) €47,800

Will
Will
I’d just like to apologize. I’ve made several comments here, and so far they have been predominantly negative. But obviously, if I didn’t believe in the cars’ true positive merits, I would not be posting here at all. My concerns are largely to do with my own, personal, local dealership experiences. Which are a reflection on those dealerships, and them alone. I’m sure there are better ones out there (heck, some of you work for them). I lament the fact that they are not closer. I think the cars are fantastic. I have yet to drive a Saab that doesn’t… Read more »
Carl-Henrik

For all your colleagues that want trucks or SUV’s.. well.. soon the 9-4X will be there.. 😉

Will
Will

Unfortunately, I don’t think they’d be interested. When I say trucks, I mean ridiculously impractical, almost comical trucks, like this. Unfortunately, being a tradesman outside the city, I work with a lot of farmers/hunters/rednecks. (Please do not count me amongst them by affiliation).

But, that makes their admiration of my ‘ride’ all the more impressive, if you ask me. These are not people who normally like any sort of car. Unless it races in Daytona, or is an American muscle car.

Carl-Henrik

Do not worry, I will not count you in amongst them.. and yes it is impressive that they like your ride then. Keep it up.. even the highest mountain can be climbed.. 😉

Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

Forza 3
Great for the http://www.saabsunitedhistoricrallyteam.com to get our driving practice on the X-BOX. Finally SAABs true icon has has made it there.

Rune
Rune

Re: Forza 3, have they gotten the physics right? Does the 99 feel and handle like a FWD car?

(I’m just curious — I don’t even own a XBOX)

Jörgen Trued
Jörgen Trued

Has anyone seen the Forza 3 upgrade with the 99 Turbo?
I have tried to find it through the x-box connected to the net.
SUHRT needs to practice!!!!