Wednesday Snippets

It’s a few days until Christmas but I’m ready for this year to be over. It’s been a long one full of celebrations and happy moments, but also a lot of uphill battles on multiple fronts – and I’m just about done.

How you doing?

——

Some Saab owners are getting together in Massachusetts to donate their hair to the American Cancer Society for use as wigs.

The Saab Shave Off has a Facebook page and you can check out the details there.

This is a great cause. Nearly everyone I know has had a family member touched by cancer in some way or another and hair loss is a common side effect of the treatment. For many, especially women, retaining hair cover is a key to retaining self esteem and just keeping up with their daily lives.

——

Saab Convertible owners will be rightly P’d off to read this load of complete bunk from The Car Connection. From reputed poor transmissions to unuseable rear seats, it’s fair to think that someone swapped a Saab badge onto something smaller and our (?)educated writer didn’t pick the difference.

——

Here’s a fantastic bit of light reading from a car dealer in the UK.

It’s about the various types of people he deals with in his day-to-day endeavours.

With mainstream dealers falling over each other at auction to bid secondhand prices through the roof on all but the most unsaleable of ordinary rubbish, I’ve spent a good few months specialising instead in finding immaculate, low mileage older cars that are on the brink of becoming classics.

We’re talking late Eighties, early Nineties stuff here, where the enthusiasts are of the age where they no longer live with their parents and earn enough money to throw some disposable income down Memory Lane, while there are sufficient cars still out there with owners who don’t yet realise they have such a following.

There’s some very good info there (and a few good tips for would-be buyers and traders, too).

——

Spotted recently by Olav, in Norway, a new 9-5 taxi to go with the one we’ve already covered from Finland. I’m sure these will become more commonplace soon, but it’s good to see nonetheless.

Kroum

Oy mate, same feelings here. 2010’s been too stressful and busy, ain’t even funny. Cheers to the new one – and keep your head up!

Btw., about to do a thread hijack, but since I haven’t had much time to follow my beloved SU: is Saab going to be at Detroit NAIAS in January? They are nowhere to be seen as an exhibitor.

Talladegan
Talladegan

Been a bit of an ‘Annus Horribilis’ for me too, so 2011 can only be better. In fact I’m just going to be VM-like and just make it so! 🙂

Talladegan
Talladegan

…of course the first million years were the worst 😉

MeanSabean
MeanSabean

All the best to you and your family Swade, keep up the good work. Saab will have a great year in 2011 !

Rob S
MTL
Canada

GerritN
GerritN
Poor Swade, it’s the curse of living in interesting times. Since you are asking about our well being. Everything and everyone seems to get bailed out or getting more tax payers money in the US, except basic science. The budgets have been pretty much flat over the last 10 years, i.e. declining, i.e. no wage increase to speak of. With the new administration in place we were promised for a doubling of the basic science budget over the next 10 years. Well, that looks to be pretty much down the drain already, the first cuts for FY2012 have already be… Read more »
SAABoy
SAABoy

Same here Swade, ready for 2010 to be over…

till72
till72

2010 has been a year of many battles and though most were a win I’ll happily see that year end. I’m done.

Arild

The Los Angeles Times has a nice video review of the Saab 9-5 .

Very good review, but what a shame she couldn’t be more accurate about the number of cars sold in US in 08 (roughly 21.300) 😉

till72
till72

Looks like some headed over to The Car Connection to comment… 🙂

ivo 71
ivo 71

So have I. But I kind of doubt you will be allowed to enjoy what I posted there after CC is done ‘moderating’ my contribution, even though I refrained from using less-than-parliamentary language.

😉

Ivo

ivo 71
ivo 71

‘Bovine excrement’ being one of the carefully selected polished expletives I used…

Ivo

ivo 71
ivo 71

Well, to give CC their dues, they did include my (ovi) comment.

Ivo

David

Reading the review of the Amanti I felt better knowing that no one with any sense of any sort will take this seriously. Did you see the facts they gave for disliking it? There weren’t any. They said, in more words, it was ugly and didn’t have a very spirited driving feel…. its supposed to be a huge, cheap luxury car!

There may be one or two people who take this thing seriously, but those dumb enough to are surely not the same people that would ever consider a Saab anyway.

CMHOHIOMAN
CMHOHIOMAN

I’m getting kind of excited about the plans for the 2012 SAAB 9.3 and what kind of engines and interiors they will have. I assume that the 2012 SAAB 9.3 will not be the radical new model which is due out in 2013. I know that their is no changes at all from 2008-2011 in the USA market.

Alexandros
Alexandros
Last day in the office today, I ‘ll be back on the 7th of January, but of course I ‘ll be looking everyday at saabsunited! Swade, thank you very much for your efforts in this very exciting year for Saab! All my best wishes to you and your family for a Happy Christmas time and good and healthy New Year! I ‘ll be heading tomorrow with my wife and our Lab dog in our MY 2007 9-3 Convertible from the southeast of Munich, Germany, to my father’s in law place near Cologne, Germany. So, if any reader from Germany sees… Read more »
Emil
Emil
Happy Christmas and a happy new year, Swade and everyone else! Today is this year’s final day of work at Saab for me. It’s been an inspiring year where, in my daily work, the differences between the post- and pre-GM eras can hardly be overstated. Every now and then, I almost get that old feeling back that I had during the weeks and months following my moving away from my parents; you know the one where there are a crapload of responsibilities you never even knew existed, a lot of hardships to endure, but the freedom to decide on Sunday… Read more »
Thylmuc
Comparison test in the latest “Autozeitung” with very bad results for the 9-5 TiD compared to the Superb and Ford Mondeo. It actually lost in every aspect except braking. Too little space for the given length, smaller trunk without hatchback (!!), worse finish, worse seats than the Mon., more wind noise, rougher engine, worse suspension, higher consumption, less comfortable transmission, slower, and costs 10000€ more. Boy. Several of the problems had already been known and discussed, also here, but not yet in comparison to those cars. Another slap in the face: in the same issue, there is another comparison test… Read more »
So this time they didn’t like the tight fit of the 9-5s sport seat? Where as British journos bagged the 9-3 for not having more support. Sigh. A 10k price difference is not that much when you probably have to buy at least two Fords to cover the same milage as in the Saab. The corrosion protection in the Mondeos I’ve seen so far have been pretty horrible. The one we owned (not so long ago) was no winter dream car either. The small petrol engines are also totally useless for overtaking, so the diesel must be better in that… Read more »
Henrik
Henrik

I don´t know anything about the Skoda and I really don´t care about it. But I´ve experienced the Ford as a rental and it was absolute torture, tire-sound was horrific. So much so that I actually opened the windows on the highway just to get another noise. I turned it back and got an OG 9-5 instead which of course was a dream to drive in comparison.

Henrik
Henrik

By the way, a guy at my office has a Mondeo company-car, when I asked him about what´s good with the car, he responded that the tow-truck gets there really fast when he calls, it has stopped more times than he can count.

Thylmuc
RS: no, the test is actually quite favorable in ragrds to seats. It is just mentioned that the Mondeo’s seats have a bit better fit (i.e. Tighter). Durabillity and winter drivability are of course beyond such a test. But still, there are a lot of objective issues that simply cannot be talked away. The higher consumptio e.g. Can partly be explained by the automatic transmission with which the test car was equipped, but the Superb had a double clutch transmisdion and consumed 1 litre/ 100 km less. And a real problem with Epsilon 2 again turns out to be the… Read more »
They want even tighter!? and I’m not a huge guy myself. Wow. I like the comfort seats over having the feeling of being squeezed, but I guess that’s just me. Not trying to talk away what you’ve mentioned. The backseat rest of the 9-5 should be thicker imo to improve headroom. Now people are sitting so far back the roofline comes down on you. There is sooo much legroom you could easily take out almost an inch. DSG, yeas please but not before it’s more reliable. I’m no platform expert but surely hope Saab has something up their sleeve when… Read more »
GerritN
GerritN

I found this funny and also a bit sad:

Excerpt:
“The Lotus Heritage fashion collection, expected to start next year, is partly inspired by Steve McQueen’s racing driver character in the 1971 film “Le Mans.” The collection will feature styles that evoke that era in British tailoring, including quilted cotton and leather snap-collar men’s driving jackets for $200 to $400”

I can well envision Colin Chapman gyrating in his grave.

When are we going to see a “Saab Heritage Fashion Collection”? I propose to have a moose inspired collection, including antlers (assuming that you have a sunroof).

GerritN
GerritN

And the Lotus CEO doesn’t even drive a Lotus but a BMW and a Ferrari! Great PR Mr. Behar!

lala
lala
GerritN
GerritN

After being clipped for years, Saab is finally spreading its wings!

What I mostly see happening here is that Saab is trying to find ways to become a really independent car maker with footholds in important R&D. If they survive they will be an important player around 2020. Not because of their sales volume but because of the relevance of their designs, like it used to be.

Tim
Tim

I wonder how Saab will benefit in the long term from this new company ..

“Saab Transmission Development moves to new company staffed by Saab engineers and wholly owned by an investment consortium “

GerritN
GerritN

Saab will have first access to new transmission designs?

TuuSaR
TuuSaR

“Saab is finally spreading its wings!”

According to press release Saab has 0% share of the new company so way I see it it’s a emergency measure to cut costs down.

lala
lala

what press realease? And even without shares this is a good thing for Saab

Tim
Tim
lala
lala

An investment group is the owner, lead by Fouriertransform. How do you know Saab isn’t part of the group? To me this means Saab will have acces to newly developed transmissions that they can get cheaper because it will be shared with other internation automakers.

Jörgen Trued
Jörgen Trued

Car connection, what a big bag of crap. Flex is at par with Porsche 997 convertible. The rear seat is OK for two ladies. Gearbox is OK as well.

Börjesson
Börjesson

Saab are recalling 630 cars worldwide, MY2011 9-5, due to a potentially faulty airbag.

Rune
Rune

I guess more details will be known soon.

No letter has arrived for my 9-5 Aero. Which is OK, because I haven’t planned to crash test it just yet.

Arild, how about you? Are you scheduled for some pillow talk with your mechanic? 😀

Pierre

I, too, am glad to see 2010 come to a close. In fact, I’m happy to see the decade end. Still, 2010 had its bright spots, starting with the sale of Saab.
August was the highlight of 2010 for me. I got to move to a new home in a new state, hosted the best Swedish Car Day ever (thanks to Swade), and got meet with, chat with and break bread with Swade and Eggs ‘n Grits.
I was humbled by your presence, and remain grateful for all you do for the world-wide Saab community. Thanks, Mate!

Dan
Dan
Happy Holidays and to all a Happy New Year. I for one am glad to see 2010 go bye-bye. November and December and January 2009 and 2010 were extremely stressful. I had no idea how attached I am, was, to Saab. I cried when the deal was signed to sell Saab. The saga consumed my time and energy. It cost me a great deal financially because I was so distracted. Oh well, I sure hope that Saab climbs back out of the abyss. I love this site and the community it represents. Thank you Swade, I appreciate your dedication and… Read more »
Thylmuc
Henrik: have a thorough look at Skoda. This is no longer that socialist rubish producer as of yesterday; if it ever was. Volkswagen manages Skoda quite cleverly, or gives Skoda freedom to develop attrractive products. Also, when When the tchech state sold Skoda, they obligated Volkswagen to produce at least one midsize car. While in its first generation, this was merely a rebadged long-wheelbass Passat, Skoda was given room to develop the second generation Superb on their own. They choose wisely reliable components from VW, good seats from Audi, added a limousine-like design reflecting the sideline from the Bentley Flying… Read more »
Thylmuc, with all due respect. Why are you so hung up on selling us Skodas? There must be twenty other car brand out there that suit your agenda better. This is something I find extremely annoying and unfortunately in common with most Skoda owners all over Europe. It seems to be a make you choose it you can’t afford anything more premium. I couldn’t care less if they’d offer door handles made of gold in the base Superb. Just don’t like the association. PS. One of the most arrogant drivers are young guys driving these new Octavias. They’ve tried to… Read more »
Thylmuc
When I started to look around for a possible replacement for my 9-3, I had in mind a car with somewhat more backseat room, towing capacity of 1800 kg, a huge trunk with a hatchback tailgate; and a Diesel running up tp 220 km/h i.e. what I actually wanted was a modernized 9000 😉 The only car that fitted this turned out to be the Skoda Superb. When I had an initial look at it, it looked good, also in the inside, but clearly _felt_ inferior to the 9-3. However, when I looked at the 9-5 at IAA, it too… Read more »
Okay. Glad you cleared that one up. I though you where a die hard Skoda fan 🙂 Saab will get there eventually (practicality, strong engines, new generation transmission) we just need to give them time, but we can’t start demanding Saab to try and sell the 9-5 for much less. By paying a premium price we can expect to be provided with a premium quality that withstands the test of time like all Saabs do. It’s one thing to make a car that’s fine for a few years, but Saabs need to go 500k+ km. It’s interesting to see -now… Read more »
Henrik
Henrik
+1 I drive a lot these days, and my OG 9-5 2,3t BP is just incredible i these conditions, we travel far into the woods for hours togheter and it´s just a joy. Sometimes I cath up with a car that´s going almost my speed (most cars drive really slow) and it´s always a 9000 CSE, NG 900 or an OG 9-3. I just don´t see that many of them in the summer, but in the winter they´re everywhere. Perhaps people with sportcars etc uses these for the winter? -Thylmuc, I´m sorry but Skodas are completely of my radar, I… Read more »
Tim
Tim

Don’t know about other countries but in Holland Skoda is positioned on the same level as Seat and below VW. I can’t think of any reason someone with the budget for a Saab like car would look at Skoda. Build quality and inside don’t come close to Saab.

Thylmuc

Well, I am not talking about Skoda, but only about the Superb; forget the rest of the range, boring plastic.

Thylmuc
RS and Henrik: regarding long-term durabilty of the Superb, it shares the platform with the Passat, and that’s probably not good. I start seeing less and less Passats of the same age as my 9-3 on German roads. Otoh, 500k km from a Saab also appears to be rather optimistic in our times. Most of the problems I had with mine concerned the Opel delivered Diesel engine, and at 250000 km, the injection pump finally passed away, a hose between turbo and engine burst, and I was told that the shuffles of the turbo are weared. I also expect the… Read more »

Thylmuc, I have no knowledge of BMW engine durability but I don’t think a failure by the Bosch VP44 fuel pump has anything to do with the Saabs (Opel) diesel engine itself. The same pump is used by the Greman trio and failures occur sometimes (thanks to overheating/autobahn?).
I actually have two of these ”no good” diesels with 400k on the clock and they’ve been very good for us so far and see no reason why they couldn’t go easily 700k+.
Got to go, they”ve found me 😉 Merry Christmas everyone!