Do Singaporeans get new interiors?

I’ve found a really interesting article on AsiaOne.

Saab sold in Singapore in the first 11 months of 2010 only 13 Saab cars, which seems to be very very low even for Singapore. But those Saab cars were only 9-3’s.

The 9-5 has been presented today in Singapore. It will only be available in two versions, a Turbo4 in Vector trim and the Turbo6 XWD in Aero trim. Maybe Saab can double the figures in Singapore this year with the introduction of the 9-5 Sedan. The 9-4X and the 9-5 SC will also follow this year.

But more interesting than the introduction of the 9-5 in a new market are the pictures in the article of the interior of the car . What at the first glance, looking at the thumbnails, looks like a dirty IP panel, is in reality a new material for the dull mate-black IP fascia.

The pictures seem to be from the Vector trim, and the new material looks like a grey wood structure. It is not easy to define, because those are no studio pictures, but it is definitely a different interior finish.

🙂

Update:
After reading all your comments, I would like to share some more thoughts about it.

The Geneva Motor show is almost there, and most rumours say that the 9-5 SC will be presented there. Other rumours also say that the 9-5 will be updated in combination with the introduction of the Wagon. If I were Saab, and I had some prototype IP panels, or even production-quality ones, I would show them in Singapore.
This was the introduction of the car in that market, so people maybe doesn’t even know about the IP fascia “problem”.

We see in the pictures at least 2 different cars, a silver one in Vector trim and a white one in Aero trim. The one in Aero trim does even have the sunroof, so I expect it also has the colour Infotainment screen installed.
Unfortunately we don’t have no pictures of the interior of that 9-5 Aero.

I’ve already said, that it is difficult to define the material used for that IP fascia, but it could be some grey wood, like used in the E-Class or 5-Series, or maybe some acrylic material with a colour structure.

Talking about wood, how would this finish fit with the cocoa interior and the amarello wood panels? I don’t know, but if they decide to put wood as the IP fascia, which is the place where I would expect it,the amarello wood should disappear.

BTW, I’m still thinking that those panels should be offered in the K’egg white carbon fibre used on the Trevita cars. At least as an option.

Patrik B
Patrik B

I would say that is high gloss black with one gazillion finger prints.

Chris Carrier
Chris Carrier

Close observation shows red and blue dots in the climate control knobs, so it must be in color.

turbin
turbin

You’re right Swade, similar to the trim I’ve seen in a DE9-5 Vector. Like plastiwood converted to greyscale.

marvin
marvin

Swade is probably right also.. But this post is actually written by Red J 🙂

marvin
marvin

It is definitely a new interior trim.. Hopefully the new interior trims are ready for public debute in Genevé along with the SC.

Looks like a really nice, classy event by the way…

Red J

I think this might be true, that the new interiors will be presented in Geneva with the SC. But I think they had to take the risk to show them in Singapore, as it makes no sense to get the people worried about a thing that is already fixed.

mackan

The new dash finish looks superb, let’s hope it will arrive in the rest of the world as well 🙂

Thilo

That looks superb. I really like it.

David Z

Agreed – looks excellent. Can’t wait to see it in person.

Mikaik
Mikaik

Am I the only one who prefers the plain black one?

I did like the initial pictures (the ice block) though… Now, if I can’t have that, I’m fine with the plain black one.
Not a big fan of “fake” materials (plastic wood, plastic granite, etc.)

Jr.
Jr.

No, I’m also not a fan of imitated wood. Hopefully it’s not the only choice. If I remember correctly, the basic black trim had a different texture in the first shots. A bit more polished with some square pattern, right? That’s the one I want. Or the iceblock, but I don’t think it ever will come to life. To hard to make.

Troels, Denmark

Agree. Plastic should be plastic. But refined and delicate on its own premises. Wood – especially fake wood – imo have absolutely nothing to do in a modern, high-tech car.
Regarding Saab interiors the way to go is -imo – honest, industrial materials, but used in a sophisticated way and finish. And with a slim(mer) and light(er) form-language.

Celeste

I think it’s bird eyes maple in black. Usually used in Mercedes Avantgarde versions (don’ know if it’s the right translation – in german). Lots of costumers like to individualize their car so I think it would be a good move if we would get some wood veneer options like this one or a walnut veneer.

saabdude
saabdude

In looking at the picutre blown up…it looks more like a burled pattern…albeit in plastic…but that is splitting hairs.

Having just seen my first NG 9-5 in the flesh this past weekend, that expanse of matte plastic on the dash is a bit overwhelming, so this is some improvement…BUT…I think a carbon fiber replication would have better, and more in keeping with the hi-tech theme of the vehicle.

Tomas TL1000R
Tomas TL1000R

saabdude!
Carbon fiber layer is my way of solving the issue. Use the original plastic and put on a layer of carbon on that, simsalabim. It looks great and sporty without looking cheap. I don´t know if it´s expensive or not.

GerritN
GerritN

The fake carbon fiber vinyl is pretty cheap, but so does your dash after application. Real carbon fiber is more difficult to get and rather expensive, you want to get the stuff with adhesive backing. Of course you could go cheap and get the bare carbon fiber plies or pre-pregs, but you probably want to leave that to an expert.
Better wait until a aftermarket dash comes out.

Arild

Good work Red J! The new interior trim looks interesting. Hopefully this will stop the complaining about dull plastic. Personally I’m not convinced that I like it. It looks maybe too much like the kind of bathroom wall panels people used in the eighties…

belfast_saab
belfast_saab

It’s an alternative for those who like it, so that’s a good thing. More little touchs like this will improve first impressions of the cars in testdrives and showrooms, little things count, VM knows this well at Spyker and we’ll see more of this detailing I’m sure as timke goes by. Good news.

Marque
Marque

Take a look at those Saab-on-persian carpet piccies.

Let it be a magic carpet ride for Saab! 🙂

Thylmuc
Thylmuc

Good to see more trim options. Will hopefully result in more revenue per car.

For me, the acrylic iceblock is forward directed, while faux wood is somewhat backwards, but there are people who will prefer the look of wood. Wood be great if the surface were replacable 🙂

74stingray
74stingray

Hum… not really a fan of that finish, maybe if i saw it as a whole dash covering. I dont mind the matte black finish as currently offered but i can see how it’s less than impressive for some.

It is exciting for Saab to be making some changes here and there as they keep chugging along.

Swade

I reckon it looks fantastic.

The big question is whether it’s a factory application or organised by the Singapore distributors. The interesting bit for me is that they’re RHD over there, so theoretically some other RHD markets (*cough* Aussie! *cough*) could piggyback off them and offer it here.

Talladegan
Talladegan

I seem to be developing a similar *cough* cough to Swade *cough* in the UK.

T74
T74

Went today to have a look at the panel. Really looks nice! It’s more like an artistic swirl pattern than wood. It does leave finger prints however had to turn on my torch light to really notice it. The sales guy said they customized it in Singapore for the local market for the Aero as well as Vector (no Linear offered in SG). Swade, will send you some pics.

steve
steve

I remember a guy from Saabcentral saying Singapore (fairly sure was Singapore) dealers added the Hirsch leather dash on their own in previous models. So my bet is this is something they did on a local level.

Tompa
Tompa

Nah, don´t think so. Saab has said alternatives will come. So why not now for Geneva?
Think it looks swell.

Cheers/Tom

Brett
Brett

That. Looks. AWESOME!!

Tompa
Tompa

Brett, I think something like that also would look brilliant in a 9-5 like yours. Saab aught to have more options for the owners of the first 9-5 with the button dash.

Cheers/Tom

Brett
Brett

It reminds me a lot of the dark burled walnut found in the ’04-05 Arcs, which does look really nice, especially with light interiors to contrast with it. I like the fauxluminum in my Aero though with the black leather.

NGMH
NGMH
I like it. I would not order my car with it but it looks good. I test drove a 2.0L FWD 9-5 on Monday. I was with the magazine writers as I liked everything except the matte black finish on the IP. The monochrome stereo did not help the situation, probably made it worse. The high res screen would probably break everything up enough to make the matte black finish acceptable, not great, just acceptable. I am waiting for SAAB to fix this before I order my 9-5 Aero XWD. I don’t want to live with this plastic finish nor… Read more »
Chris Carrier
Chris Carrier

Me, I’d rather own the car now and simply buy a fascia piece or Hirsh aftermarket later. Are you really suggesting that you’d buy the car tommorrow but for the fascia?

Henrik
Henrik
I drove one like that the whole day today, Turbo4 Vector. I agree that the monochrome stereo made that part look worse than it is, but I do think that this is blown out of proportion. This was the first time I drove a NG 9-5 for more than a testdrive and I was more impressed this time, weather-conditions was terrible i Gothenburg today so I could not really push limits, but the car is strikingly refined, just a real joy to drive, handled beautifully in the thick snow that covered all highways and roads today. My car today was… Read more »
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
NGMH. totally agree with You. I have many friends around the globe that share the concern. It is T I M E for Saab management to come out of the corners and explain themselves. To me there is something significantly wrong with marketing. It seams to happen over and over again. The so called stresstested businessplan and a lot of other talk. It is time to decide weather they want to play with the big girls and boys. Top notch or withdraw… as simple as that. — Trivia department: I live in one of the richest parts of downtown Stockholm.… Read more »
Jim
Jim

Sure hope the wood trim has better adhesives than were used in the 1995 9000 Aero line.

Pekko
Pekko

That panel looks great. Atleast in my laptops screen it looks similar to the black wood panels in the German rivals. And I loved it. I hope it is what I think it is!

Would look so cool in a Saab!

Jeff
Jeff

I don’t see why it has to be fake, given its shape and size. Larger real panels have been used in other cars, with even more indendations. That said, they’re in a totally different price league. It will be interesting to see what Saab has done to solve this issue, but as I’ve said before I’m a big fan of the greyed out woods like this one or light colored ones like birch that you don’t see too often. Great stuff.

Talladegan
Talladegan

I’ve seen an almost identical finish in various Jaguars I’ve had the pleasure of using over the last decade or more. Speaking personally I like it.

Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

Interesting to see SAAB entering the Singapore market. But why in the whole world could the cars not have been TOP line equipped. Monochrome screens on the grand opening night! I am disappointed.
Lets hope Saab can break open that market and in time some of the neighboring markets like Malaysia and Thailand. I was in Thailand a week ago and saw ZERO Saabs. Their airforce hand the SAAB 39 Gripen so why not Saabs on the roads. http://www.saabgroup.com/air/gripen-fighter-system/gripen-for-thailand/ (with great video of first Thai SAAB 39 Gripen flight)

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

They should have been top of the line equpped cars yes, but I’m that optimistic person that rather see any Saab than no Saab in Singapore. 😉

And regarding Thailand – not everybody can afford a Saab there. I spent 6 weeks in Nepal not seeing one single Saab – so strange.. or not. There are people in Nepal who could afford a Saab, as well as in Thailand, but I guess those markets are not as large as the possible market in Singapore.

ivo 71
ivo 71

I would think that affluent Nepalese probably prefer a SUV. So maybe the 9-4X could become a success there? Although I kind of doubt that Nepal will become a runaway market for Saab 😉 .

Ivo

Hate to agree with you (again), but at events like these you’d really like to show your best effort. It says that the other car was a Aero V6 and no hi res. display? Unforgivable imho now that there was even a new fascial panel. Come on guys, Saab doesn’t have to shoot itself itself in the foot. It’s tough enough.
There are people who will get their vital first impression here.

J
J
Greetings from Singapore! When the prototype was first available here, there was no news of it and the dealer did not bother to contact existing owners. After recognizing certain photos of the new saab 9-5 had the Singapore showroom in the backdrop, I realised there must be one available for viewing. Present was the Turbo4 Aero with HUD, adaptive chassis, navigation. Seeing the car in metal was awesome. Unfortunately it was not available for test drive. While eager to show the new car, the sales executive recognized our Aero 9-5 as a vector trim and kept insisting that it was… Read more »
Manlius
Manlius

I have a friend in Thailand that has a Saab 9-5 and is a big Saab enthusiast, but he has told me there are very few Saabs in Thailand and, at least as of last year, new Saabs were not sold there.

Ken H
Ken H

With all due respect, and with full understanding of the difficult period Saab has been in, but how on this planet could anyone sign out the monochrome radio in the 9-5?

It looks awful in the 9-3SS, and even worse in the 9-5. So it really beats me how this was allowed to happen…

Mark Orr
Mark Orr

There are actually quiet a few SAABs in SIngapore. Honestly I think SAAB should send some trim kits out to retrofit some vehicles on the lot. Some of that fake wood is just UG-LY!!!!

Joe
Joe

I don’t understand inclusion of tacky fake wood in an otherwise clean and simplistic design language, aimed at a modern freethinkers rather than conservatives.

Marcus
Marcus

When the 9-5 was introduced in Sweden the brochures showed a glossier panel with small dots in it, this looked very nice but it never came to production for some reason.
According to brochures it looked like this panel was supposed to be standard in the Aero package.
I think it´s good that they do something about the pretty boring grey panel that in the car today, it doesen feel premium.

Marcus
Marcus

…one more thing. Build a BMW at their site and look at the numer of different trims the have. I have said this bofore and I´ll say it again. Let the customer choose and take in mind that we all have different taste!!! This will sell cars.

Now – where´s the dark interior roof option? (like BMW individual antrasite grey that´s comes standard with M-sport package)

JH
JH

Both the glossy dotted panel and the ice block panel was made by a company that went bankrupt, if I am not mistaken. Personally the dotted one is my favourite so far, but the one in these new pictures seems to look good too. Hopefully that panel will be available at the launch of the 9-5 SportCombi. 🙂

Pedro
Pedro

Textured = good. It breaks the monotony and that’s why both the acrylic on the concepts and the fancy trim on the 1st studio pics looked so nice.

If this is a factory thing, then the only other item to take care of is the monochrome screen on non-nav models. SAAB should get a full colour display in there ASAP.

North Toronto Punter
The glass is filling to half on the dash material … Mentioned above: The closest analogue seems to be Mercedes black birds-eye maple — which I think quite elegant (presumably in brown too depending on one’s seat-colour choice). and it’s patterning hides fingerprints… People have been talking about ‘faux’ wood finishes and I’m not sure why. I can’t imagine Saab would put plastic wood (a la Cadillac) as a veneer. If they do…then I’m outraged. Surely not. What they do with the existing wood ‘border’ ( in the ’11s) is open…Overkill to have both (?). Nevertheless, a carbon fibre or… Read more »
GerritN
GerritN

“BMW hunting machine… ”

I love that!

Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

Lets face facts, the BMW´s are good, very good. The top notch in just about everything if one only made judgements/decisions with the calculating brain.
But Saab speaks to the heart that is different, but tha cars can not be too different to the competitors, it feels like Saab now is slipping behind.
Any good plans…..?

Jörgen, what BMW imho has over Saab is ‘only’ a wider model range, interior materials (refinement), engines (hp) and better customer experience, that’s it. We shouldn’t forget there are things that Saab already/still has an upper hand on the German rivals which I think is just amazing. Only Saab would learn to sell those better… You mentioned one of them. ‘The plan’ would simply be to improve on where they’re behind at the moment and what GM didn’t let Saab make improvements on for a long long time. I know (hope) they’re getting it. I’m sure VM must have a… Read more »
Rune
Rune
Actually… If I were to buy a 9-5 today, knowing what I know now… I would think twice about adding the satnav. Its one major advantage is the HUD integration. That’s it. On all other accounts it does not favorably compare with much cheaper handheld devices. (I am still waiting for an answer to my queries concerning map updates and coverage of other parts of Europe not included as standard) But yeah, it looks nicer. I fear we will be ‘stuck’ with what we have (which is, it must be said, pretty darn good in many areas) until Jason’s 9-3… Read more »
Patrik B
Patrik B

I’m with you Rune on the SatNav choice. First of all I rarely drive where a quick look on an ordinary map wont do it for me and then this navigation feature is built in to basically every mobile phone these days.

So spending some big bucks just to be able to click on a touch screen when selecting what station or select track to listen too makes no sense…

And then I don’t think that the ordinary monochrome display looks that bad. As long as it is clear and easy to read then I’m happy.

TTAero
TTAero

We opted for the satnav even that we knew that our android phones had better navigation (online events and updated maps). But I still think it was worth the money. The look, the touch screen to configure tha car and HK stereo. I also beleve the resale value will benefit with this option

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

I can just say that I’m getting more and more tired of people whining over the green display radio. Not everybody want’s a touch screen system. So why do people still continue to whine about it? If people can do the choice on their own, then it’s up to them.

Ronald
Ronald

I agree. Every time someone whines about that green standard radio, i just roll my eyes because it seems as if nobody can conceptualize the fact that the Nav screen system is expensive. Honestly I don’t think the base radio looks that bad, and neither does this dash panel (If I was to order a 9-5, this would be the panel I choose personally).

Doctor Donk
Doctor Donk

Do not know if i like it IRL but on pics hirsch panel looks better. The good thing about this panel is that it is made from grave stone

TomEaston
TomEaston
From RS’s post: “Jörgen, what BMW imho has over Saab is ‘only’ a wider model range, interior materials (refinement), engines (hp) and better customer experience, that’s it.” That’s it? Are you sure? You do not need all of the above elements to have a successful car company. I learned about this website from a SAAB fanatic friend of mine who knew I once drove these machines once upon a time. If SAAB had a a better customer experience than they would not be in this situation they are in (IMHO). You can play the blame game ( blame the economy… Read more »
Thank you Tom for your post. I believe it’s important to have everything out there in order to make Saab better in the future. Not trying to explain (too much), I believe you where owning Saabs in an unfortunate period in time (thanks to GM’s saving policy that also completely destroyed Opel’s reputation over here). Also a few years later (when 9-3ss came out) there was a widespread electronic systems failure spree going on effecting every premium brand from Europe, including Saab. There where Merc stalling left and right, people swearing not to buy Volvo’s even again and so on.… Read more »
Patrik B
Patrik B

You have had some serious trouble with your cars!

We have a completely different experience; We drove our 9-5 Aero -01 for over 6 years where the only things breaking down (except for expected stuff such as windshield, wipers and brakes) was the SID-display, one small and cheap part in the front wheel mount and the rear bushings.

We were so pleased so we bought a SAAB 9-3 SportCombi while we wait for the ng SAAB 9-5 SportCombi.

Nutella
Nutella

Interesting that despite your experience, most Saabs seem to considered as very reliable vehicle by Consumer reports or other similar reputable european organizations.
Generally speaking, Saabs seem to be more reliable than other european brands and according to Consumer Reports, the 9-3 is as reliable as the iNfinity G or the Lexus IS.
People say a lot of things about Saabs but anedoctal evidence aside, they seems to be very good cars and seem to last much longer than equivalent japanese cars.

Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

TomEaston, just for the record the service level and customer issues are so much better in the US compared to Sweden. This is an issue I have talked to one of the present top-level managers at SAAB. We agreed that the swedish sales and service organization needs to com up to a higher level. Lexus is a good benchmark. I Sweden SAAB has for many years been a affordable “everymans cars”, but things have changed moving to the higher segments. But the sales and service has not moved……