Screenshots – the 2011.5 Saab 9-3 front facelift

You guys do this so fast in comments πŸ™‚ Nevertheless, it should come to the front page.

Factory footage from the ‘Agenda’ story concerning Saab seems to have given us a first glimpse of the mild facelift to be made on the Saab 9-3 for the second half of the 2011 model year.

Here’s the money shot:

The red car in front appears to be the 2011.5 model. The grille at the front seems to be not quite as deep (though it could just be a perspective issue with the image – it’s pretty close to the outgoing model) and features a more prominent SAAB wordmark in the center, a-la the Saab 9-5.

Conveniently, it looks like there’s a non-facelifted 9-3 behind the red one so you can see the different openings in the bumpers, too.

Here’s a clearer image of a 2010 model for comparison:

It’s only a glimpse, and a fuzzy one at that, but it’s looking good so far.

——

Thanks to multiple persons for supplying screenshots. The one used above is from Brett, in comments.

Kanundrum

Looking Great!

74stingray

That red one is looking VERY aggressive… I love it. If i had that one…It’d have to call her Christine!

Oscar, from Barcelona

Just this weekend I saw the movie again. John Carpenter is a genius. Each person that loves cars should see it!

74stingray

It should be in every car buff’s DVD collection!

“Is that you Cunningham??? you’re not mad, are ya?”

I can see a Saab being evil….

GerritN
GerritN

Could someone explain to me why there are a face-lifted and a non-face-lifted 9-3 on this assembly line? I would assume that everything coming out of production would be the latest greatest version.

turbin
turbin

Pre-production

TurboLover
TurboLover

They have to serve “old” orders from customers and at the same time make cars for the showrooms in March

OK I can see the difference now. Looks good!!!!

74stingray

Darn…. Just when i thought I could get away with selling you a 2008 Kia , painted black with some TurboX badges on it…

Swade, can you cut 74’s tongue out for uttering such things!!!

till72
till72

Yeah, I like black humor… πŸ˜‰

@ Zippster…
pfft….. fooey doo doo. Passing the buck there Zippy? You’re far closer to me than Swade is,. πŸ™‚ just sayin… you’d look quite distinguished driving a Forte Coup with some blingy bling on it.

πŸ™‚ and where is the avatar, you had a Viggen ( the flying kind) on it right?

@ Till72… πŸ™‚ humor is always good, keeps us all sane…

74, I changed my email address and it looks like I lost my avatar earlier today. If I get another avatar I have to change my username. Boo! I quite like that Forte Coup but Im a Saab man thru and thru.

GerritN
GerritN

The Master in his latest “Housekeeping: Comments” section disagrees:

“Comments become a place for throwaway lines, online comedy auditions, ….”

This is NOT a place for fun!

@zippy… there she is!!

@GerritN

I am exempt from “double secret probation” as is my sidekick Zippy.

I think Swade was referring to the raunchy comedy club humor that some people toss on here as if it’s a locker room. Zippy, Till, myself along with others chat friendly here as well as add real input to the discussions.

Too many others epically fail at both, so says me.

GerritN
GerritN

Groucho, Chico, Harpo, ………

Jake
Jake

While I’ll admit that I thought that there was going to be more work done to it, it sure looks good!!!

GWC
GWC

… you mean 9-3 not 9-5 in title

TurboLover
TurboLover

Please read GWC’s comment Swade!

MarkoA
MarkoA

…and the Aero (Griffin?) version will get chrome surroundings just like on 9-5? Looks very sharp. I like what I see. Maybe thereΒ΄s blue (ice theme) headlights as well, but theyΒ΄re not visible on the pic?

David Wishart
David Wishart

The blue 9-3 (3rd in the queue) also appears to be 2011.5 model, but with the Aero foglight surrounds.

Thilo

Looks more like 9-5 to me.

Jake
Jake

We must have been thinking the exact same thing…

Jake
Jake

Are you sure that’s not a 9-5 Aero? The foglight surrounds look bigger than they should be, and so does the car.

GWC
GWC

Looking more closely, it looks rather photo-chopped when you zoom in on bumper under headlight

MarkoA
MarkoA

Those are captions of a TV broadcast, so photoshop is out of the question. We saw this car moving there.

GWC
GWC

Well … looking again it does not seem so clear and with your post I guess it is what it is.

Thanks

cmhohioman
cmhohioman

What kind of engine is going into the MY 2011.5? Biopower/E85 Petrol 4 cylinder?

Same engine as the 2.0T in the 9-5.

9000cse
9000cse

Oye vey. IMHO (from the images) the facelifted 9-5 looks like the guys in Trollhatten took a front fascia of a 2001 9-5 and used a high pressure vice to squish it to fit the 9-3. The front end also resembles a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am or a 1996 Mazda 626 (U.S. version). I think I am going to stick with my 2008 9-5 Aero and my wife’s 1998 9000 cse.

NZSAAB
NZSAAB
Ah the 2008 Saab 9-5 Aero. What a machine! Im on the lookout for one in New Zealand. Only got the occassional Linear on the market here. New Zealanders must have considered an over NZD$92,000 price tag for sedan, a car with underpinnings that span more than a decade to be unattractive and uncompetitive. I think its an excellent looking car which far outweighs anything else. For me its a car I want based on brand, looks and that super cool Saab 340 inspired fasten seat belts light. The performance is brilliant, efficient and the interior very comfortable. The new… Read more »
Vector-SS
Vector-SS

From what I can see, I really like the looks of the new 5-spoke wheels, they have some sort of “twist” to each spoke. Also, they seem to have brought back the rear trunk lip. So is it safe to conclude this is the Aero trim?

Bravada from GMI

I would guess the Aero would have white/chrome “frames” around the foglight casing like the current 9-3 and 9-5 Aero do, so my money is on a Vector Griffin here. But who knows if there are even going to be Vector and Aero Griffins?

Am I the only one surprised by the leisurely pace of the assembly permeating the report, and the amount of work done manually?

Belfast_saab
Belfast_saab

You are seeing much more that I can – which trunk do you see? The silver car?

Vector-SS

sid
sid

looking good looking good

foglights like the 9-5 aero, less pointy nose, me likey

J Fan
J Fan

I’m relieved. I thought the design had aged pretty well, I was concerned that they were going to try and graft on the 9-5 nose.

Look at the shape of the headrests – is there anything else we can see?

Alex
Alex

I had a similar fear but it was probably silly of us to think that, would have been a lot of money for a year run, Saab is smarter than that.

Mark Orr
Mark Orr

Still like the current 9-3 and the refresh looks fine. The 2T engine is great as you can now Hirsch it to 260HP which makes for a superb beast!!!

100%Saab
100%Saab

Agree.

Mark Orr
Mark Orr

Just a rant about the SAABUSA website… SAAB who is gonna buy your cars is you are too lazy to take proper pix of them. I was looking for pix of the 9-3 sport combi… APPALLING. It’s a great looking car, why not some nice clear multi angle shots of it? UNREAL!!!

Jeff
Jeff
You probably picked the worst time and worst thread to complain about a minute detail on the website. They have bigger fish to fry than having a few nice pictures of a car they’re going to have to rephotograph anyway for this new refresh which will be at dealers in a few months. Considering they are working hard on a new site, some patience would be nice πŸ™‚ If you want some good shots, go to saab’s own new site, media.saab.com. Actually, here’s a direct link to the pages you’re looking for. Clik to download all the pictures, a 4.13MB… Read more »
hipchecker
hipchecker

Is it me, because I really don’t see any difference at all. Am I missing something? Am I blind? The grill looks the same as the current one.

I was under the impression there was going to be more “significant” changes. Not a redesign by any means, but a more moderate facelift. Obvious stuff. Maybe its just that shot – too hard to tell.

Or was it the interior/engine that was going to get more work done?

Kjell Erik
Kjell Erik

Its comparable to the facelift of the 2004 9-5 aero, with the new front and rear bumpercover, and circular foglights.

Paul
Paul

Looks nice. My first impression is that it looks to me like a hybrid between the current model and the look of the ’07’s. Not that it’s regressing, that’s just how I’d describe the look in a nutshell – it seems softened up a little. And they’ve 9-5’d the foglight surround area up a bit. I like it.

Pat H
Pat H

the left hand side, going the opposite direction…is that the back of a 2011.5?

mo
mo

nope seems like the back of a 9-3

North Toronto Punter

Not that I was expecting more than minor tweaks…
But I don’t see anything either!
[Also wondering if I’ll be able to retro-fit the larger SAAB wordmark on the Turbo X…probably not]

Maybe somebody with markup tools (and younger eyes!) could make these changes a bit more obvious for us oblivious…

benrp
benrp

Look at the area which the foglights are in. They are now larger and more triangular.

Ralph
Ralph

Heh, it’s subtle but for the grill differences you have to look not at the large mid section but at the two sections between it and the respective headlights. These sections are now less high and more rounded in their contour.

saabken
saabken

So ……….. looks to me like the leading red 9-3 has a slimmer profile grille and side ports so all the “bottoms” line up with the bottom of the headlight housing. Is that it ?

And it has larger (a la 9-5) foglight apertures.

Tiago do Vale
Tiago do Vale

I was hoping for something a bit more substantial… πŸ™‚ Not that the current 9-3 needs it (it feel it doesn’t: it looks quite sharp), but just trying to have a glimpse of Castriota’s 9-3.

bk-aero
bk-aero

Only a couple of days ago somebody mentioned that the 2011.5 9-3 was already finished when Castriota arrived.

74stingray

I still think that the current 9-3, dated or not, is very attractive. This is especially true when compared to the competition, shes aged well.

baas900i
baas900i

most saabs age well, dame edna will become vintage…

Chris
Chris

I agree. I find her also to be very attractive and aggressive despite her age.
It might not look though so “low” and “wide” as the new A4 but she has an imposing and commending presence with lots of finesse in her style.
I hope Jason and Saab will do their best to impress us also on the NG9-3.

Cokeisit
Cokeisit

Looks good, I guess the front has the new lightpipe from the 9-5 as well. Too bad we didn’t get a closer look at the back of the car.

I think it’s good to see that they didn’t waste a lot of money to make bigger upgrades since the 9-3 still looks quite modern.

Hopefully there is a directors cut available from Agenda with a total 360 view of the car πŸ˜‰

Robert P
Robert P

The badge on the hood is gone too? Or is that being put on later?

Geertiv
Geertiv

It’s there or will be there. I took out the fragment of the video as best as I could so you can move it around a little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imnRYqmCbuQ

I really like the facelift! It’s much sharper looking and may well make this last year of the 9-3 a much sought-after model for years to come.

SaabKen
SaabKen

Hi Swade,

Any knowledge if there’ll be any interior changes ?

Marco
Marco
I really had to check some pics from the media pages to try and find some differences in the bumper. Maybe I haven’t been so precise on my looking before but now when focusing on the bumper it really seems to be a difference in it: The fog light hole is larger from the side than from the center. When looking at the Agenda footage you can easily compare the cars behind this one. The dark 9-3 after the red one and the 9-5 behind them both shows that the hole is closer to the 9-5 than the 9-3 in… Read more »
Patrik B
Patrik B

Is the design changes made in such a way that it will also make the car leaner thus making it consume less fuel?

It feels like it is gonna be this version of the 9-3 TTID SC that will make it below 120 g CO2/km.

andha
andha

Looks good, subtle change! The only thing i dont like about the current 9-3 is the sedans rear light arangement. Looks a bit like an overpimped after market thing. Hard to see if they changed anything the in the facelift. Hopefully..

Yerrun
Yerrun

I like the rear lights on our 9-3 sedan in black… But i don’t think it looks very good with most of the other colors. Keeping the iceblock look without the black surroundings would be nicer…

Alex
Alex

Yeah, the taillights on the sedan have always been my sore spot with the last refresh of the 9-3. Great in black, not so much in most other colors.

Andrey Borzenko
Andrey Borzenko

I like the current design more. Hope it still be possible to order pre-restyled 9-3 when Russian Saab dealers appear.

Pedro
Pedro

Modest but tasteful changes, it appears. Good stuff as the 9-3 still looks handsome (or pretty if you call your car a ‘she’) πŸ˜›

Saabim

Looks very nice. It should be red as like all sport cars.

Zizou
Zizou

(from this angle) it looks better than the first facelift!

gryphon95
gryphon95

I like seeing the 2011.5 9-3 take on a little more of the 9-5’s exterior styling. It’s not a big change, but it will help create more fleet unity in styling. More importantly, though, in my opinion, what’s going to change with the 2011.5 9-3’s interior?

quixcube
quixcube
I like the new look too. Very aggressive. It looks like the center part of the grill may have gotten just a touch taller too. I hope they apply the light bar across the back of the 9-3 too. Get rid of the black surrounds on the tail lights. I like the lights, but the black just doesn’t look right on light colored cars IMHO. The only thing the inside really needs to have changed (that I think they could actually change in this modest sort of update) is to move the aux input port off of the dash and… Read more »

A new dash, ‘9-5’ rear lights, an aux and USB input, anyone? (I believe the 2.0 DI is already confirmed)
Man, I could really go for a car like that (one more time). Diesel SC, though.

Johnken
Johnken

Looks like new grille, new headlights, new design around the fog-lights “ala new 9-5 Aero without the chrome”, new wheeldesign, and an added lip on the bootlid…

Alex
Alex

That is very subtle but honestly what else should we have expected? Why would they invest heavily in a car that only has a model year left. Even with that grainy video I can tell the front vents and wheels give the car a bit more of what it needs without looking overdone.

BaRa
BaRa

Must be me, but I don’t see any difference with the current front. What I do see, is a car at an angle rolling on the back wheels, and a distorted front view as a result.