Awesome Saab club cars come out to play in Oz

I get a lot of photos come through my inbox from Saab events all around the world. Sitting here in Australia, it’s easy to look at these brilliant cars in faraway places and think that all the good stuff is closer to Sweden. We are, after all, about as far away from the Saaberland as you can get. Sometimes I neglect to remember that we’ve got some pretty special cars down here, too.

A handful of those cars, either standard or exotic, got together last weekend in Sydney for a meeting of the NSW Branch of the Saab Car Club of Australia.

It was a normal Saab Club affair (meet, greet, street and eat), but when I saw some of the photos yesterday, it made me want to jump in a DeLorean, crank it to 88 and re-live my weekend in another location.

Some pics of some of the attendees….. there were around 13 cars and 22 people there all together.

(I’m guessing here, but) I believe the 99 below belongs to Simon A, who has a 99T that’s just as extraordinary. He’s also the guy who sold me my 900 Aero a few years ago and I can personally attest to the amazing condition that he keeps his cars in.

This would have undoubtedly been the celebrity car of the event – an ultra rare Saab 900 Enduro. These were a limited edition of 12 put together by Saab Australia, featuring an outrageous body kit, water injection and some other go-faster stuff. There are believed to be just 5 of these remaining, making them rarer that the original Saab Sonett!

This one makes me sentimental because it’s actually my old Viggen. Now owned by Wayne G, in Sydney, and apparently running as smooth as silk (which is fantastic news considering the accident I had in it). Wayne – I want it back some day πŸ™‚

The 9000 Carlsson is another favourite of mine. Great to see this white one there.

As you could tell from my SOTW entry yesterday, I’ve got a massive softspot for the TurboX. My good mate Jose owns this Turbo X, one of the first few purchased in Australia.

One more shot of the Enduro….. I really want to do a proper feature entry on this car one day. I must get up to Sydders and meet the owner some time.

And yes, there were people there πŸ™‚ …..and what a fine bunch they look like, too. Not a heavy looking right foot amongst the lot of them.

——

74stingray
74stingray

Thanks for the eye candy!

turbin
turbin

Yeah. such an impressive and classic bunch of cars.

matt
matt

You hit my soft spot for the 99T and the rare saab 900 is very nice. So many nice pictures here. The turbo X and the carlsson are nice too. I would love to get my hands on a 99T someday.

900_S
900_S

Enduro! There really SHOULD be a proper account of that car, as well as any others that might come up. I’m still shocked that other one surfaced at that mechanic in Melbourne. Such rare gems in Australia! πŸ˜€

Hans H
Hans H

I have never heard of these Enduro-Saabs.
The first time I saw one was on Roy Chui’s excellent Saab Art pages, as a february wallpaper.

Please write something about these Enduro-Saabs, when you can. πŸ™‚

Craig Dewick

There are a few references on the web about Enduro’s. I have a page on my website about them at:

and Chris Malikoff whose Enduro was at this event (I took my white 1990 Saab 9k ‘Carlsson’ along) has created a site but I don’t recall the exact URL right now. Hopefully Chris will see this and followup for you.

Craig.

Chris has actually contributed to this thread. His site is at http://www.saab900enduro.com and I’ll be heading up to meet him in a few months for a proper feature with three of the known remaining Enduros πŸ™‚ – SW

Golfhunter

We did a small presentation of the Enduro on Saablog-in by asking Omaroo more details about it :

A fascinating car indeed !

900_S
900_S

Thanks for the link, Golfhunter! You always have the best Saab pictures! Here’s my personalized Google page looks like:

Golfhunter

Dear Friend , I’m very pleased , amazed and honored to see your Google page ! Actually , like you , I think that Saab are looking so good that Saab pictures are always good .And I’m looking forward to being at Geneva to take pictures !
Thank you so much for your appreciation and comment .
Jeff.

900_S
900_S

Oh, looks like the link didn’t show up… Links to Photobucket might not be allowed, or I’m not doing it right. It’s just a screenshot. Maybe now? Never mind, if it doesn’t show this time.

Omaroo

Hi all πŸ™‚

A top day indeed. Great to meet new faces and fantastic to take the Enduro out for its first real spin (in my hands) on windy back roads along the river to Yarramalong from Wisemans’ Ferry, and then give it some neddies on the fantastic F3 expressway on the way home behind JosΓ©’s Turbo-X. New tyres and injectors this weekend – can’t wait to see what a decent spray pattern and balanced rubber will do for it.

Steve – superb site – don’t know why I’d never seen it before now. Let’s talk πŸ™‚

Hawkeye
Hawkeye

Finding out about Saabsunited is just one of the connections made when joining the Saab Car Club of Australia.

Omaroo

I’ve taken a short video of a run around the block I did today after replacing my CIS injectors. Sorry about the clutch squeak – it’s a project for tomorrow. LOL! This week should also see a 3″ mandrel-bent exhaust system installed, with twin exit pipes just behind the rear left wheel arch. I’ll do another video at that point.

Steven will do a full exposΓ© on the Enduro over the next few months, so this little video will have to suffice until then.

Enduro: in-cabin video

Your browser will need to support Quicktime.

Omaroo