Press release: Saab Highlights at 2011Geneva Motor Show

Two world premieres, the launch of the new Saab 9-3 Griffin range, and the unveiling of a limited edition Convertible celebrating Saab’s first year of independence: the Saab stand at next week’s Geneva Motor Show will be packed with more news than ever before.

World Premiere: Concept for Future Saab Design
Taking center stage is an exciting concept car showcasing design features and technologies to be seen in the next generation of products from Saab.

Conceived by a team under new Saab Design Director Jason Castriota, the concept’s sleek visual execution introduces styling themes drawn from Saab’s unique Scandinavian and aircraft-inspired design heritage. Cutting-edge technologies include all wheel drive with an electrically powered rear axle and a ground-breaking car communications platform using the AndroidTM operating system.

World Premiere: New Saab 9-5 SportCombi
Sharing the limelight, but no less important, the much awaited Saab 9-5 SportCombi also makes its world debut. This five-door partner for the new 9-5 Sedan will offer a compelling alternative choice in the large wagon segment and, in many European markets, is expected to sell in even greater volumes than its four-door peer.

Launch of Saab 9-3 Griffin range

The 9-3 range is revitalized with the introduction of the 9-3 Griffin line-up, replacing current Sport Sedan, SportCombi, Convertible and 9-3X specifications. It includes refreshed exterior and interior styling, backed by more powerful, fuel-efficient engines. The new gasoline turbos feature direct fuel injection and variable valve timing, while further fine tuning enables a remarkable 119 g/km CO2 and 4.5 l/100 km combined cycle fuel consumption for the SportCombi with 180 hp turbo diesel power.

Saab 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition
Saab is celebrating the first anniversary of its independence by unveiling an exclusive 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition, of which just 366 examples will be produced. Sharing the Griffin enhancements and based on Aero specification, it has a unique, Amber Orange metallic paint finish, etched side windows and distinctive interior trim.

Daniel B
Daniel B

Image 4 of the 9-5 SC:
DROOOOOOOOL!!!

Arion
Arion

Soo, android is confirmed? 🙂

Emil
Emil

Yes, it’s Android. It was rather entertaining reading all the comments to the IQon post the other day, really couldn’t comment on it then but now that it seems like it’s finally out in the open: Swade’s hunch was spot on.

Cokeisit
Cokeisit

Good to see that they will use Android, the future looks brighter and brighter 🙂

Tandu
Tandu

So it´s time for the dealers here in sweden to open the books so I can order a SAAB 9-3 Griffin SportCombi, any idea of a date?

Erik D
Erik D

Tandu, according to comments over on other swedish car-sites, both Teknikens värld and Vi Bilagare, the books are opened already!

Commenters speaking of having filled out orders already… One guy having ordered 4 for his company…

“The future’s so bright we’re gonna need shades” 😉

Tompa
Tompa

Saab 9-5SC… Well hello there good lookin´ 🙂

Cheers/Tom

PGAero
PGAero

Well, I have always liked wagons, and I think that Saab has done well with theirs (both the original 9-5 and the 9-3) in the past. This one, as I hoped, is no exception. It looks very good. Someday, I hope to own one.

~P

JGreen
JGreen

Android… NOOOOOOOOOO….. I was really hoping Apple and Saab (being somewhat similar in design philosophy) would debut some new iOS equivilent for the auto industry… Awesome… now google will know not only where we live, what we eat, who we talk to, but probably… where we are at all times….. 😉 — still, better than nothing. I DO hope it doesn’t get in the way when using an iOS device. I develop for both platforms, and can say, thus far, not a huge fan of Android… BUT… it is getting better.

aZuL2001
aZuL2001

I would think an open Android based system would be a better platform then another closed source thing.

As you (probably) wouldn’t like a MS Windows platform for the communications module, i personally wouldn’t want an Apple platform.

User interface is a completely different thing though, Apple scores high on that imho.

A more open system like Android, could mean more user customizable.
Trip logging app for cars in business use f.i.

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik
I don’t want to argue with you… but… you don’t want Google to know everything about you.. but you don’t care if Apple do? I will not say one is better than the other, because they are both “big brother wathcing you”-stylish. The only difference as I see (and is a bit being discussed in Swedish media the last weeks) is that Apple has a form of censorship regarding what is allowed in apps and so on. They want to control the entire chain from product to user, while on the other hand Android is more open. We may all… Read more »
M (US)
M (US)

Saab 9-5 SportCombi looks great. Android was a bit of a let down. I had hoped they would do something different. Android is a mess.

JeremyP
JeremyP

The ins and outs of this operating system stuff is over my head, but from a marketing point of view I would love to have seen them work with Apple. That would have been a home run in terms of generating a press ‘buzz’ in my view and creat a great synergy between Apple and Saab. Both companies seem to share some core ideals and brand pillars in their respective industries.

Toby

Apple and Android are almost the same both are Linux systems apart from one is more locked down and, one is more expensive, the other open source and cheaper-they can be configured almost identically and the open source bespoke applications can be managed in house by Saab exactly as intended for less development cost-to me it makes perfect sense and it is the very best option moving forward. The Apple option whilst in synch with Saabs brand does have some difficult digital rights management issues which individuals and corporations have struggled with in the past.

GerritN
Nope, Apple OS has its roots in the Mach OS and kind of was grandfathered in by Steve Jobs when he took over at Apple again. His NeXT company was using Mach for their machines. But then again, almost all operating systems, open (Linux, Android), closed (Apple) and garbage (Microsoft) have been happily stealing software bits from each other and from Unix. This cross fertilization means that they also are inheriting all the safety holes from each other. With the proliferation of all these appliances in every nook and cranny of our daily life it’s unavoidable that a cyber disaster… Read more »
x
x

I heard people saying that for 30+ years . . .

GerritN

Yeah, and it happened several times already! Latest one was the attack on the Iran nuclear facilities. All these attacks were pretty localized and many people just didn’t notice them.
I’m just saying that soon so much of your life will be affected by all these smart appliances that cyber attacks can have a much wider impact than in the previous 30 years.

JeremyP
JeremyP

That view looking straight at its backyard is sweet!

Saabulon
Saabulon

Yes, that’s a very muscular, yet elegant, behind!

logan
logan

So exciting. Can’t wait to see the future direction of Saab; though I do love the new 9-5 SC.

paredg
paredg
Im going to take a wait and see approach on the Android situation. I prefer my iphone purely because of the improvements iOS has made in usability for mobile users (Android still has a ways to go, but I love that its an open platform) but perhaps this new Saab implementation will be something special? Lets keep this in perspective, my 2008 9-3 Aero has a terrible pile of junk GM radio that cheapens the entire interior … I cringe when I get in a co-workers Pontiac G6 and we have the same radio/climate controls … so this will be… Read more »
Tompa
Tompa

Windows, Android, iOS… Don´t care one bit as long as the thing is userfriendly and a every driver, including pre used buyers, are able to customize and have alot to choose from.

Cheers/Tom

We where able to “survive” the basic SID’s for many many years so couldn’t care less about the platform as long as the system has a few decent inputs and high quality speakers.

JeremyP
JeremyP

I love my old SID’s! I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to these things, but I get the info I need without too much distraction. They are also easy enough that my grandmother couold use the features without technological overload.

Just hanging out here in the ever dwindling minority…

I’m with you brother.

Rodney
Rodney

I love the 9-5 SC. I disagree with others on the rear doors. I think they look fine.

Here is a quick review of the SRX with the 2.8T engine. I assume the Saab version will have the same options. He is a little harsh on the 2.8T engine. I chalk it up to another uninformed motor journalist.

The 9-4x is growing on me. I might just have to buy one for the wife. I can’t make up my mind because I love the new 9-5 SC. Decisions decisions…

Kim

I agree. It really looks GREAT! But for your wife the 9-4x would maybe be a better pick. Has a more “wife” feel to it 🙂 But the SC would be an awesome pick for a sporty family

Anders RO
Anders RO

Found a review of the 9-5 SC design on autoblog.com, they like the 9-5. It is short but starts with “Hello Gorgeous”, comments so far are also positive.

rpg
rpg

Wow! It looks great in black!

turbin
turbin

And the comments section show’s we have a winner!

JGreen
Apple controls the end user experience, from start to finish – understanding the reason, to make sure it is easy to use and each and every person can have that great experience, is why… not saying it is right… but there is reason behind it…. Google on the other hand in all way shape or form an advertising agency…. they sell ads… and they know what you like, where you are, etc… google maps, docs, search, all of it, sending bits to them they can sell…. I personally would just rather not have them in my car… probably get banner… Read more »
Toby

Hopefully Saab can use the code in a proprietory manner-so the ability for the main vendor to trash it with unwanted external content is a non issue. I agree that would be bad but I don’t think Saab would let that happen.

Argosy
Argosy

How much before the next SAABs with Android get rooted? 😀

The 9-5 SC looks fantastic. Can’t believe GM wanted to kill all of this. Schmucks!

Toby

One day soon Saab will buy GM and shut them down! ha! We will see how many people get upset about that and drive in convoys all over the world.

Martin N
Martin N

“Can’t believe GM wanted to kill all of this. Schmucks!”

Well… there would be no 9-5 without GM, don’t forget that. If 9-5 is fantastic, isn’t it because GM made it fantastic? I personally don’t think it’s fantastic, but it is the first “good enough” Saab from the GM period.

Let’s at least wait until we see some “independent” Saab designs on the streets until we start pointing fingers at GM, yelling “HA-HA!” like Nelson in The Simpsons. 🙂

Tomas TL1000R
Tomas TL1000R
Please! So your saying that GM did a good jobb with Saab, you must be kidding. The answer to your question is that GM not did much at all. Take the TTiD 119g for example, “impossible they said” .The 9-3 SC was ready for introduction 3 years before our beloved GM let Saab to start selling it. If GM have done there work properly they should let Stallbacken doing there stuff the way they do at this moment. And you know that I´m only scratching the surface. GM let the 9-5 lives for 13 years, do you call that responsibility… Read more »
Toby

@MartinN My entry was a little over zealous perhaps but I think Saab must get a lot of credit for the new 9-5-there are so many Saab unique design elements so many componants on it are Saab and not GM, so whilst I understand your general point I am not sure I agree. Infact I would only thank GM that they let Saab go-that was their best decision throughout their ownership in my view, I do not think I am alone here.

Saabheart
Saabheart

Can’t wait for the concept!

I would really love to see these wagons on the road periodically. They are so freakin’ good looking. It’s like a smarter Audi wagon with a personality! Perfect.

Peter Jones
Peter Jones

Pass the Kleenex!! I’ve always said photographs never do Saabs justice, they always look better in the metal, but when those pictures are so GOOOOD…I get aroused.

BishopQ
BishopQ
Android is an awesome choice. First is it’s based on Linux open-source so almost anyone can create customized apps and like. This gives Saab a broader eco-system then linking up with Apple. It also gives them more opportunity to customize and polish the interface whereas Apple would likely want their branding on it. I see this as a big win. Now if they could just put wifi in it so I can tether it to the hotspot on my mobile phone. We’d never be tied to stale out-dated GPS map data any longer and would have full web access from… Read more »
GerritN

“World Premiere: Concept for Future Saab Design”

Oh, so excited I just wet myself….

That’s my line!

Very tempted to mount a stealth mission to Geneva without “The Wife” to take a peek…..hmmm… thinks…

Ray Kopczynski
Max Torque
Max Torque

I LOVE the last comment by VM 🙂

Tim
Tim

🙂

JH
JH

Haha, that’s great! 😉

Baah
Baah

According to AMS there will be no SportCombi in the next gen 9-3 line up. Any insight on that?

bk-aero
bk-aero

I can’t imagine them not building a wagon. IF they have to drop a variant, it would most likely be the sedan.

Ken H
Ken H

Hopefully the android route is not a dead end like the fiber optics…

Ken
Ken

So how will this affect my spyker cars shares? Which way will they go in the split?

rodmylon
rodmylon
I and others explained this in the sales thread. You own shares in Spyker Cars N.L., that is a parent company. Spyker Cars N.L. owns two sub brands: Saab Automobile and the Spyker sportscar division. Spyker Cars N.L. intends to sell the sportscar division to Antonov. Then Spyker Cars N.L. will only own Saab Automobile and hence your shares are basically directly in Saab. The sale does not affect your stock ownage, since you never owned shares in the sportscar division but in the parentcompany. The shareprise was up with 13% at some point today. Spyker Cars N.L. will probably… Read more »
Aero
Aero

Bulid your Saab at saabsverige.com is updated with the Griffin versions of the 9-3

Baah
Baah

Great to see that the website is getting updated that quickly, seems like they are doing their homework these days!

bk-aero
bk-aero

I’m very surprised that Saab Germany was among the quickest this time. Yesterday every car of the 9-3 range could be configured on their website.

The front pic (angle) is also vastly improved! It now actually looks like a 9-3 in real life. Good job.

Tomas TL1000R
Tomas TL1000R

The SS is not ready yet, but SC and the cab is.

Bernard
Bernard

I really don’t think that iOS was even a contender. “You can’t win if you don’t have your own team,” in other words, Saab would have been totally dependent on Apple. At least Android is open-source, so it can be customized. I would have preferred Meego IVI, but Android is a good second choice.

Of course, the “in vehicle infotainment” is essentially just an app. All you need from the OS is drivers for various hardware (bluetooth, wifi, GPS, DVD, USB, touchscreen). The rest is just a matter of painting a pretty (and functional) picture.

maanders
maanders

Right. As a software developer, if I were on Saab’s engineering team, I would not want to build the whole car’s internal system on an OS that has to be serviced by some other company. iOS is very nice (in Apple products), but I would not want to be that dependent on Apple for fixes. Same reason why I think Windows mobile (or full Windows) would not be a good idea for a car. It either has to be something that you OEM and are allowed to modify/fix or something open source.

GerritN

So, does Saab have a software department?

LGA
LGA

Yes we do 😉

GerritN

Can you please make an GUI that simulates the old SID? Maybe with a couple of missing pixels?

Swade

…with a couple of missing pixels…

Comment of the week! 🙂

Jamie
Jamie

Thumbs up on the …with a couple missing pixels!!

Arild

Saab used to be responsible for developing infotainment systems for General Motors Europe. I guess they still have the people and competence in house.

Emil
Emil

We sure do. Regarding the SID-simulating GUI, may I suggest you take a crash course in Android programming while waiting for the Saab SDK to be released, then make one yourself 😀

GerritN

“Saab SDK” Cool! Let’s see how quickly I can hack into Trionic 10….

Emil
Emil

“Let’s see how quickly I can hack into Trionic 10”

Well.. don’t waste your time trying. (Hint: it can’t be done)

Bernard
Bernard

On a related topic, will there be an accelerometer in the IVI? I can think of a lot of fun applications, especially if you can tap into the OBD data stream (RPM, fuel trim, all the good stuff).

Jimmy Björn (Booza)
Jimmy Björn (Booza)

In the Swedish Saab site you can now build your 9-3 Griffin! I can VERY HAPPY say that i gonna order one SS on Monday!

kanundrum

Saw this on AB, anyone notice the tires are installed in the wrong direction? LOL

Anders
Anders

Ok, so let me get this straight: The 220hp 9-3 XWD is 0.1 seconds faster to 100 than the 300hp 9-5 Aero.. Dare I say this model year of the 9-3 is the tuners choice? 🙂 I think with remap, 3 inch exhaust from the turbo and a better flowing intercooler, this car will be a blast to drive!

Jacco

Something different, http://www.autoweek.nl/ a little poll.
The 9-5 estate against the V70 on the right side in the middle

hh1b9816
hh1b9816
I’m so sorry… As much as I really would have loved to like the 9-5 SC, I must admit that I just don’t. Take a look at the 9-3 SC. What you’ll see is without doubt the sole most beautiful and harmonic estates/wagons/combis ever build. I don’t understand how the same team of designers can have their design evolve in such negative direction over 10 years. The 9-5 SC reminds me of the SsangYoung Rodius or the former Renault Laguna. Not good…. I would pick the Volvo V70 any time… I guess I’ll just have to wait for the 9-3… Read more »
hh1b9816
hh1b9816
Toby

I have to disagree..the new V70 (previously not pretty but…architypal) has gone all “Ford Angular” it looks like a smashed egg box.

Don’t get me wrong I love Volvo too I have a V70 (for the Wife) but right here right now..? -SAAB has it for me on aesthetics alone

Mark Orr
Mark Orr

Is it wrong for me to think the SAAB wagon looks SEXY!!!?

hipchecker
hipchecker

The car looks amazing.

Android means it’s a no-go for me, if I was in the market for this type of car. THat’s too bad.

SAAB_andee
SAAB_andee

in the moment there is no android system in the 95 SC.

MedSven
MedSven

I hope they don’t use those phillips-head bolts. Then I won’t buy this car.