Saab 9-3 Aero Griffin gets tinted tail

I hadn’t spotted this and I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned in comments (RedJ gets all the emails to comments on his posts) but I figured it would be worth a mention here anyway.

Well spotted by Markku, a saabnut from Finland.

Markku was taking a look at the new Saab 9-3 Griffin on the Saab Sweden website when he noticed the difference in the tail lamps between the regular Griffin and Aero Griffin models.

The regular Griffin:

And the Aero Griffin:

——

The tinted lights do not appear on the Sport Sedan, but do appear on the Aero versions of the SportCombi and Convertible.

And they look pretty darn cool.

It looks like they also make an appearance on the Independence Edition (which looks better and better every time I see it – just awesome)

JH
JH

I also spotted that a couple of days ago, but I actually thought there was something wrong with the picture. I’m not sure I like it, but I think one needs to see it “in the plastic” to decide.

Phoenix
Phoenix

Same here. But I checked the 9-3 pictures from the celebration and those were not tinted so I also assumed it was something with the pictures.

Per
Per

Here is a comment for you.

nampat
nampat

Those lights look cool indeed. Specially on SportCombi. 🙂

Vector-SS
Vector-SS

Wow, those look fabulous. It’s small details like these that make all the difference. Got to admit, after Spyker took over, I have not seen anything but improvements. So many changes in so little time!

Paddan
Paddan

The 9-3 SC still looks right up to the second and I like the tinted lights. What I like best, though, is the use of the word mark instead of the Griffin badge on the rear. For years, I’ve contended you can’t see the name Saab under the griffin and that it was ineffective in letting other drivers know what car just passed. The new badging is superb. Wonder if I can retrofit my 2009 Aero SC.

belfast_saab
belfast_saab

Agreed, the Grififn type badges are not as stricking as say Audi’s rings or BMW’s propellors, so the simple badge of the word SAAB is more distinct (although chrome lettering on a silver background is very ‘subtle’).

I do like round badges, but after the Saab Scania roundel was replaced by the plain Saab and Griffin I think it looked a bit poorly designed.

Seems like over time we have just end up with the wording and no round badge?

Bravada from GMI

I disagree so much. Where I live, everybody at least a bit versed in automobiles knows the Griffin badge, and the rear end looks so baren without it. It was the subtle touch that completed the whole.

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

– That’s just because you are such a good Saab ambassdor! 😉

NZSAAB
NZSAAB

I 100% agree with you Bravada. To me that badge represents a significant part of Saabs history.

I love that badge. The colours, the design, to mde its very premium looking and also very warm.

Now Saab is literally showing its roots by having a cold chrome look. Less inviting, very sterile. On that note though, the steering wheel looks cool with it but i really love the griffen badge there too.

I will be very turned off the day the badge goes from the alloy centre and bonnet! No Griffen = no history = no sale.

Paddan
Paddan

There is plenty of history pre-the self peeling Griffin. That wasn’t introduced until MY 1985. You really wouldn’t consider a Saab without the GrIffin badge?

KT
KT

Totally agree the Griffin badge makes the backend much more lively, plus it’s part of the history.
European manufacturers dont change their basic logo design very often, for instance Alfa, the logo is like that since 100 or so years ago.

Joe
Joe

The letter logo is actually older than the blue Griffin logo, and hence contributes with more “history”, at least within the car branch. Source:
I remember an interview in connection with the 9-5 launch where it was revealed that the logo change was decided by the head honcho (JAJ) – the captain of the whole ship, I trust him and respect his taste.

Dimm
Dimm

I really hope not.I love the round badge with the Griffin and i consider it one of the most beautiful badges out there(with Alfa Porche Ferrari )

I would prefer if it stayed on the back as well and on the steering wheel of the new 9-5

Plain Saab letters are ok but the badge with the Griffin is just…nicier

Tony Cormack
Tony Cormack

I too prefer the badge – it does set SAAB apart and the letters are too understated, keep the badge and make the lettering on it slightly larger.

Also, in passing, I ordered a 9_3 Sportwagon with TX and plus pack last Tuesday – delivery March/April.

Peter
Peter

Congratulations Tony!

Agree. Plain letters are just too much ovloV. Save the badge.

Börjesson
Börjesson

I suggest a compromise. 🙂

Red J

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

That’s actually a really good idea. Very iconic logo that shows the brands heritage at the same time. 🙂

bk-aero
bk-aero

In my drawings I use the Saab wordmark in the grill and on the wheel center caps and the plain on bonnet and boot. I like this rounded-edge square logo but it’s too old-fashioned for “New Saab”

Red J

bk,
that logo looks old-fashioned because of the used font, imho, but this can easily be “repaired”. 😉

Börjesson
Börjesson

Or just leave out the SAAB text altogether and use only the plane as the logo. Would look very nice on that chrome bar at the back of the 9-3!

aerobert
aerobert

Love this logo!

Stefan
Stefan

I agree. I have never really liked the griffin logo. Not sure why, but I think it reminds me of trucks (Scania) and it does not feel very modern; a bit too cluttered and colourful in my opinion. I prefer the new one, very stylish.

Tom7374
Tom7374

It might be a technical problem in the configurator. Trying to configurate the Saab 9-3 SC Griffin Standard on the german webiste in the back view the rear lights appeared to be black, in the side view they changed to white.

Peter Jones
Peter Jones

I like the look, not so keen on the Griffin’s 3-spokes thought…

Although I quite like the look of the griffin badge let us not forget the link of the Griffin symbol to Saab is tenuous. It’s the symbol of the district in Sweden that is home to Scania, Malmo in Skane (-> Scania) and the original symbol of 1984 represented movement – denoting Saab-Scania as a transport and techology company

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

The 9-3 with the turbine rims… that’s just the most sexy combination ever. 🙂

x
x

The only connection to Skåne (Scania) was the factory SAAB had for a while in Malmö. That was however a failure that we don’t want to remember.

x
x

The “coat af arms” for Skåne looks like this:

That where the Griffin stems from.

The “coat af arms” for Västergötland (where Trollhättan is) looks like this:

So that would be the logical SAAB badge!

Or maybe the one for Trollhättan:

🙂

Tony Cormack
Tony Cormack

I`ve had a look at the swedish site and seen the Griffin – those wheels are so ugly, like something off a horse- drawn cart. Still like the badge.

Adam Shelton
Adam Shelton

I’ll admit it….I’ve always hated the clear taillights on the 9-3SC, a little too boy-racer IMO. That being said, I really think the smoked taillights are a huge improvement. The independence edition convertible is a thing of beauty, I think we are witnessing a classic there.

Jimmy Björn (Booza)
Jimmy Björn (Booza)

Those black tail lights comes with the “Sportpackage” on the regular Griffin modell too, its not specific to the Aero version

Rune
Rune

More specifically: Add the fog lights, and voila… Tinted tail lights…

Someone (Swade?) said “CGI error”…

The IE at the museum had fog lights, but no tinted tail lights.

Lars Jorge

I prefer the clear lights maybe because I have them and I also prefer the Griffin badge especially on a Griffin model but maybe also because I am from Skåne (Scania) and it is our weapon.

Bengt in Scania, Sweden

Thats right Lars! The Griffin is our cote of arms!

Robin M

I like the letters and understand where they are going but I love the griffin and the blue round badge.

BrianL
BrianL

Tinted tail lights might be a way to differentiate the Aero models from the rest.

SAVE THE GRIFFIN LOGO!

Paddan
Paddan

I don’t dislike the griffin badge, but I just prefer the word mark. I think they can live together with the prominent word mark assuming Scania gives Saab permission to use the badge. I guess that I recall the many, many years before the griffin badge made it’s appearance and the fact that many of them fail to age well has not been good. And I disagree that the majority of drivers associate the griffin with Saab.

Tomas TL1000R
Tomas TL1000R

It´s saturday and I like funny stuff don´t you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28V-_CLc8c&playnext=1&list=PL317C413451FC5807 Just a good song I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5BGsK5ZAU&NR=1&feature=fvwp It´s not that long till midsummer and this is like an instruktion video how we do that around here!

Sorry Red J and Swade but you can take it!

Red J

Sorry, but I don’t believe you drink so little. 😉

Tomas TL1000R
Tomas TL1000R

Let me putt it this way, I drink like an automatic gearbox from an old american V8 “big block” in bad shape just before breakdown to begin with then the real party begins!? But thats just me and all Sweeds that I know of…….I think……I can´t remember……..Where am I…….What was the questian……Where is the toilet……………You know????????????

Mikaik
Mikaik

I’m not so sure about the dark taillights, I’d have to see one in the flesh. I like the woodmark though.
I think the 9-3 keeps getting better. As far as I’m concerned, they might as well wait with the replacement, the current generation is soooo good looking.

Djup Strupe
Djup Strupe

It is just wrong image rendering. It is the same rear lamps on all 9-3 SportCombi.

Red J
I’ve checked the Saab sites where you can configure the new Griffin models. In the Swedish site you get the dark taillights with the Griffin if you chose the fog lamps. In the German site you have to choose the fog-lamps and the bi-Xenon lamps to get the dark rear lights. In the international site you must choose the fog lights and the roofrails in matt metal finish. So, yes they are standard for the Aero, but you can get them also with the Griffin, depending on the options you choose. Nonetheless, I think this is a SC only option,… Read more »
Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

I noticed that with the Griffin Aero in Sweden you get the turbine rims, but not with the Griffin, while in Germany you can choose the turbine rims to both models… and those rims are the sexiest rims ever on a Saab.

olaf95

The 9-3 SC gets better year by year. A absolute timeless, clear sculptural design icon!

Tony Cormack
Tony Cormack

I would like the badge slightly redesigned with larger lettering and positioned in the middle of the matt chrome strip with SAAB lettering also on the strip , but at the left end. The tinted taillights look good, pity I won`t get them on my new car. And I agree with Mikaik and olaf95, incredible to think the basic design is so old!