Swade is not Alone

One of our technicians, Liam Telfer, who emigrated from the UK (where he was already a Saab master tech) more than a decade ago has had a number interesting cars since coming to the States, including Saabs. Perhaps enjoying the “American Dream,” some of his vehicles have been quintessentially American. Currently, he is one of the few here who isn’t driving a Saab. His latest dalliance is with a Dodge Challenger! It is certainly a car with much presence, and is much more masculine and handsome than the cartoonish Camaro or ubiquitous and ordinary Mustang. Still, Liam’s choice of car seemed a bit unusual, but in light of Swade’s revelation, perhaps not!

MarcB
MarcB
Even as a red blooded American, I have always found Muscle Cars an aquired taste at best. In my college days (late 60’s), I drove a 2 year old Oldsmobile 442 for a while … the Olds version of the GTO. 442 stood for 400 HP / 4 Speed / 2 Exhaust. This V8 beast was also blessed with twin 4 barrel carbs and a drag geared tranny. It was loud, it rode stiff, and it was amazingly fast off the line. If you stood on it, you could actually watch the gas guage move … but at the time… Read more »
Pierre
A man after my own heart. One of my favorites from my youth was a particular 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible. This was because the friend of mine had such a car, or at least his step-father did, and was generous in letting us borrow the car. It was a very reserved looking car. It was silver, black top, 5-spoke GM sport wheels, and the elegant lines of the rear quarter panels which were much more handsome than those on the non-Supreme, including the 4-4-2. Once inside, though, there so much more which made this car special: full instrumentation, four… Read more »
Stan
Stan
Can’t agree more. I own a ’71 Cutlass Supreme convertible. 350 with 3 speed auto. My wife (bless her soul) bought it in high school with her baby sitting money (late 70s) and will never let it go. Unfortunately, she was young and had a boyfriend who tried to make it into a ‘442. I’ve had to spend some money getting it back to it’s native state (still not there yet, interior still needs some work, but the mechanicals are fine. Always a higher priority in the budget.). On the plus side, he installed a high performance cam that makes… Read more »
maanders
maanders
I do have to say as a kid growing up in the ’60s and ’70s, I thought the American muscle cars were pretty cool…and enjoyed seeing them at car shows, etc. But when I got to driving age, one thing that was nice (and I somewhat miss today) was how easy it was to work on those older cars with so much space in the engine bay! In college I had a Plymouth Valiant with the slant 6 engine and no air conditioning and you could practically crawl in there with the engine to work on things…there was so much… Read more »
Henrik
Henrik

I think they´re beautiful, Challenger, Charger, Chevelle and Camaro SS (1969) I´m not just a Saab-nut, I´m a car-nut. A black Charger, a blue Renault Alpine, a brown Saab 99 turbo hatch and a new 9-5 would be my humble dream-garage.
I saw a black 9-5 today at a parking lot, and from the rear it has some 60thies muscle car feel to it, hasn´t it? Proportionally small tail-lights? I always liked that. (for example the 99 hatch rear compared to the 900).

PT
PT

Nice garage Henrik. Mine would have some similar elements.

Ian L.P.
Ian L.P.

No, not alone, my driveway has my 9-3 convertible and my wifes new Challenger. It certainly makes my car invisible, that car has presence!

Fredde
Fredde

Chrysler is and has always been the “Saab’s” of american auto industry – much smaller than the “big ones” (GM & Ford) but making cars for the “car-nuts”. Creating legendary models with high performance engines, better chassis than GM/Ford and much better looking cars. I’m a Saab employee since almost 40 years but I’m also a MoPar-fan/owner since 1975. Saab and Chrysler has a lot in common when it comes to its “genes”.
Regards / Proud owner of a Saab 9-5 Vector and a Plymouth Barracuda 340 Formula S

PT
PT

I’m probably missing the point, and I do have a soft spot for muscle cars, although I don’t know why but…….what happens when you need to go around a corner? Ahhh, there’s the source of my reservation. I’ll take an RS Clio over a Challenger any day.

A bit off topic but the guys at Springman’s just sold their first 9-5. Jealous of its new owner? Absolutely! Congratulations to Jason and his sales team. 🙂

SaabR

Thanks zippy. It’s a beauty too. Black Aero. Classic and classy. I know I am jealous and I sold it! 🙂

SaabR

Oh, and I forgot… On the topic of muscle cars. A 67 or 68 Firebird is the one for me. If you want heavy metal instead of hot rod thunder, my 1964 Cadillac has a certain charm as well! 8) It is nestled beside my 99 9-3 in the driveway and keeps her company at night.

Jason Powell

Thanks Zippy, sold to a Saab owner too.

Red J

For the statistics.
Canada sales February ’11: at least 1 😉

Chris Hansel
Chris Hansel

Old school Mopar, now that is a thought that require my remaining hairs to stand up. Yes, old Saab 96’s and 900’s sitting next to an 383 hemi with a torque-flight transmission, almost heaven. Why? I don’t have a clue. But I do think I have make some changes within the fleet to make this field of dreams come true.
Chris

MitchbSC
MitchbSC

I drove a Challenger as a rental car recently. Liked the car. Pretty well balanced in the snow and ice that week. I really disliked the instrument cluster backlighting:

The needles get washed out in the bright backlight.

Beren Erchamion

Eh well…gotta say I’m surprised. I think these cars are junk. They represent everything in a car I don’t like. Maybe just me – if you like it go for it.

hipchecker
hipchecker

Couldn’t agree more, Beren. And the Challenger is the worst looking of all of them. My buddy has the new ‘stang, and that’s pretty nice, but the Challenger looks more like a box on wheels that anything else.

I guess I’m wrong though – It sounds like that by all the comments people really like them!

Trollblazer

Saab 9-7X Aero; an impressive American / Swedish combination, with loads and loads of torque V8 Power….
I always listen to Jill Johnson when driving the 9-7X; a beautiful Swedish singer singing good ol’ American country music…: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxDCMWp4_c

😉

Frank
Frank

9-7X Aero = ‘Muscle Saab’… 😉

Its really a lot of fun to drive actually, much better than the Chevy Trailblazer, especially the Aero with the big V8 from the Corvette !

And its fast….: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KblFwOLJLI&feature=related

Viking97X
Viking97X

Trollblazers are indeed great fun to drive…