Day 2 at the Geneva Motor Show

Good morning from a very chilly but pleasant Geneva.

I’ve just shot an iQon video with Christopher McKinnon and I think you will like what you hear about the iQon system. It’s very exciting indeed. I’m processing that now and will have it up on Youtube and here at SU as soon as possible.

RedJ is getting detailed shots of the Saab 9-5 SportCombi and will bring you all those details later on today. I’ll be working on the Independence Edition 9-3 Convertible.

——

The Saab stand had a distinguished visitor here first thing this morning. “Radical” was his description, and he meant that in a very good way.

For those who are more recent arrivals to Saabs United, that’s Christian Von Koenigsegg taking a look at the PhoeniX Concept. The Koenigsegg Group were the first to negotiate a purchase of Saab from General Motors before the deal was cancelled in November 2009.

——

More to come later today.

turbin
turbin

And that’s an evil genius with no small amount of class.

Tobias
Tobias

After having postet very disappointed statements about the new concept car, it is really funny for me to see myself getting used to the new design, it is indeed something you have to get used to it but when …. then it looks pretty good, in some angles even very good!

Talladegan
Talladegan

Golfhunter

Mornin’ Steven & Johan .
It was very cool to be together yesterday and I wish you a good day .
I’m back at the office , snifff…
Jeff.

Bengt in Scania, Sweden

Thanks to all of you for your great job in Geneva!

benrp

That first photo really makes it look different, for the better. It really makes it look shorter and more rain drop like.

Manlius
Manlius

I have noticed that the proportions of the car seem quite different depending on the angle of the photo. It’s almost like an optical illusion the way the nose sees long and powerful from the front quarter looking back, but the vehicle looks like a compact Tron-like raindrop from the rear quarter looking forward. I like that, btw.

Joe
Joe

I’m interested in CvK’s opinion who earned his stripes in the sports car business.

Tompa
Tompa

Nice stuff lads

And to Christian yet another big thank you to you and your wife.

Cheers/Tom

Ps. Jeff.. You Did get to go there 🙂 Ds.

baas900i
baas900i

Mr Koenigsegg thinking about writing a big cheque and i don’t mean ordering a new car?

Toby
Toby

What do you mean then…?

TM7374
TM7374

Hmm, I am still not convinced of the design of the Phoenix. It might help to see it in real.
What I dislike the most are the funny tail lights, that were used in the 90s in a Pontiac Firebird.

TobiasE
TobiasE

Sorry if it’s a re-post but a interesting video where Jason Castriota talks about the 2012 Saab 9-3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJ_QMcIsuE

Kjell Erik
Kjell Erik

Very interesting 🙂

wilfried
wilfried

Gone are the understated fine lines of the unborn 9X & 9-3X concepts.
All those dazzling baroque convex & concave curves, all over the car. This Jason Castriota, is he the new Chris Bangle ?
If this Phoenix was a baby-Spyker, I would say ‘yes, well done’.
I guess, my state of design-mind is at least 10 years to old for all this hocus-pocus.

Nice fact knowing mister Von Koenigsegg spending a very close visit.

wilfried
wilfried

Very nice set of pictures from Golfhunter at his Flickr-acoount.

Daniel B
Daniel B

After waching that last video of Jason discussion the NG 9-3 2012, I am VERY encouraged and not worried at all.
” you´ll see the Phoenix at the front and the behind that, the car is more traditional Saab, cleaner..

Sounds fantastic to me!

/Daniel

aerobert
aerobert

Agreed! It sounds very very promising!

Talladegan
Talladegan

I think watching that video has just assuaged all my concerns for the 9-3 replacement. I am so glad I watched and listened to that. This guy is really good for Saab.

WooDz
WooDz

Love it!

JC “The only car I will confirm is the Convertible…”
“Will SAAB do a Hatchback?”
JC “Yes we are also doing a Hatchback… There will be no Sedan.”

Great news but you gotta laugh..

So what’s the bets the 3 signed off car is a Wagon?

Arild

Or maybe a Wagon in the form of the next 9-3X ?

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

It’s said that the PhoeniX is a 2 + 2 car, but can someone show us photos of the rear seat??

And I would love to a photo head on of the front of the car with the doors open at the same time.. 🙂

Scott
Scott

P.S. IQon, rather than iQon. Keep the great posts coming!

Toby
Toby
This is not meant to be a whinge just a precis of my observations so far… I have made a brief list of what makes me uneasy about Phoenix some of this has been mentioned before… They talk about the ice block…lets have the glass looking cool and blue, not dirty black Use the fibre optic lamp method at the rear it looks beautiful on the 9-5 so something similar to that cleverly done. Use green military jet style lighting it is green for a reason (long term optical acuity and fatigue reduction) Put an X on the front to… Read more »
Rune
Rune

Are those small headlights feasible for a production car?

Surely they will have to redesign the front quite a bit?

Red J

Rune,
Jason has said that we will see the front of the PhoeniX in the NG9-3, not that the NG9-3 will have exactly this front.
In any case, if you use LED’s for the high and low beam, you don’t need that much space.

Rune
Rune

I was not aware that LEDs had come that far.

Are they planning on having a complete smart-beam implementation using LEDs? (in a headlight that small)

Jon C
I think that with LEDs they can pretty much do as they want, I do know a big bone of contention on the Jaguar XF was that the lights became much bigger on the production car compared to the concept. Personally I think Jason has created a great concept. Its a difficult task to keep existing customers happy, without beoming Jaguar of the late 90s and yet driving the design forward. I hope the debate will focus on what makes a Saab a Saab rather than trying to cling to minor details. I rather hope JC DOES turn out to… Read more »
Toby
Toby

Well said Sir, a part of me has been thinking that…