Monday Night Mega-Snippets – Happy/Sad edition

I’d like to take this opportunity to pass along a belated, but very happy 82nd birthday wish to Mr Saab, Erik Carlsson.

His birthday was last Saturday, March 5th.

50 years ago, Erik nearly took a placing in the Monte Carlo rally driving a station wagon. He finished fourth. Some brief video here.

——

I had a chat with Manfred from Hirsch, at the Geneva Motor Show. There are some new body kit items coming from the 9-5 soon. They look fantastic from the early imagery that I’ve seen, but they’re not ready to be shown yet.

What he could talk to me about was this new, lightweight wheel. How light? The wheel itself weight just 11 kilograms. When you put a tyre on it, the weight doubles to 22 kg.

I don’t know about you, but the idea of a wheel being the same weight as the tyre that’s placed on it is a bit of a mindblower.

——

A note from TTELA about the Saab factory:

Saab will be going to maximum production in the next few weeks thanks to strong orders towards the end of February.

Sounds like those Independence Day announcements have caused some interest.

——

A tiny bit of Djup Strupery….

Talk has come through that the Saab 9-5x has been signed off very recently, for release in MY2013.

We watch and see.

——

And speaking of the 9-5, if you’ve never seen Saab’s U-rail system in action, there’s some video here demonstrating it from Geneva on the new Saab 9-5 SportCombi.

——

TreeHugger is the Anti-NTP.

It’s great that Saab is thinking about hybrids and stop-start systems and all that, and it’s not nothing that a car this sporty can get in the mid-40 MPG range, but for a concept car that is supposed to be forward-looking, it’s not enough. It just doesn’t cut it these days.

It’s a CONCEPT you bunch of double-rainbow dreadlocked moonbeams.

——

An image from comments…….. by Jeff the resident photoshopper

——

Last, but by no means least….

Vale David Calabrese

Many Saab fans and club members in the US are mourning the loss of David Calabrese last week. David was tragically struck down in car accident in Chicago.

My correspondence with Dave was minimal, but it was very obvious that he was a passionate Saab fan. He wrote to me several times earlier this year telling me about observations he made at Saab dealers and auto shows that left him very concerned for the brand, some of which I passed on to Saab in North America.

I’ve had a number of people write to me about his passing and it’s quite obvious that he was held in very high esteem by all. It saddens me that I never had an opportunity to meet this old-school Saaber.

David Calabrese was 70 years of age.

Vector-SS
Vector-SS

My thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends. RIP David.

74stingray
74stingray

+1 sadly…..

Golfhunter
Golfhunter

It’s always sad to loose a Saab friend even if I didn’t know this man .

Arild

Swade, do you know if that Hirsch 9-5 body items will include a grille? When spring arrives I need to think about fixing mine which was broken when I crashed with a bird…

Red J

Sorry, but TreeHugger doesn’t know what he/she is talking about. Yes the PhoeniX is a piece of **** because the LEAF or the (still prototype) Focus EV gives you more MPG.

Show me a car that can beat the PhoeniX in every discipline? A car that is faster, has a better 0-100kph value or 80-120kph value and a better mileage.

Why are people so one sided??

Kurt Schirm
TreeHugger, keep in mind when you suggest “it’s not enough, it just doesn’t cut it these days”: this is a very very producible vehicle because is based upon real and existing technology that is designed and ready for mass production (the next gen 9-3 architecture and power trains), it is not a test bed vehicle to stretch the paradigm of what the car company can possibly do in the future. When compared to the Leaf, it is designed to be a “fun to drive” luxury vehicle that will get great fuel economy and above all be a vehicle that people… Read more »
Smithy

* Happy birthday Mr Saab!
* Nice wheel, Hirsch…
* Speed up Trolls…
* I’d buy a 9-5x
* U-rail is a terrific invention.
* TreeHugger should expand their horizons…
* The concept does not look better without the ‘wings’…
* Rest in peace Mr Calabrese.

😉

Edwin
Edwin

+1 on all points!
I decided to look for an 9-4X or the new 9-3X (if it comes) next year because it was stated that a 9-5X wasn’t planned… But if the 9-5X appeares, one will be mine!

TurboLover
TurboLover

Maximum production with one shift that is. If orders increase further (9-5 SC 9-3 SC sub120 anyone?), they will have to start a second shift.
So, it is in the right direction, but no Cigar…. yet….

Daniel G
Daniel G

Good to know that they will proceed with 9-5x!

Carlo
Carlo

RIP brother in SAAB David.
C

Doctor Donk
Doctor Donk

11kg nothing special. 18 inch will be even more lighter. Cmon hirsch give us 18 inch wheel which is ok for brembo brake kit, that kind of low profile is stupid for winter and bad road markets and gives nothing, only ghetto look…. 255/45R18 with light wheel is the winner overall and not hard to produce.

And body kit news sounds very cool, i think 2002-05 with front hirsch bumper looks best.

9-5x sounds all-right. will be nice car with sedan body.

Pedro
Pedro

Deepest condolencies to David Calabrese’s family and friends. RIP.

Baracuda
Baracuda

The Hirsch wheels are very nice but the Price for the set including tires is a little high with 6.000 euros!

North Toronto Punter
That’s quite a good weight number for the Hirsch combo especially in 20 inch wheel/tire. Euros of that makes me sweat too however… FYI: O.Z. Alleggerita HLT’s (18×8 /Anthracite) + 235/45-18 Michelin Alpin PA3s equals just over 19kg…the lightest 18 inch winter wheels combo I know of with a Turbo X! (Would be under 19 kg with my preferred Continental ExtremeContact DW for Summer). Wheels are some 2 kg lighter than the tires (and the Alpins, size for size, are the lightest Winter tire out there). Thought I was extravagant but package was less than half the price of quoted… Read more »
Marco
Marco

Maybe the weight comes with the size.

The 16″ Super Aero for the 9000 has a weight of 9,2kg and when made from Carbon Fiber the weight goes below 5kg…

I also tried to find a good source for tyre weights but wasn’t able to do so. I believe that the weight of the tyre is higher the higher the profile of the tyre is…

North Toronto Punter

TireRack.com is pretty comprehensive for tire weights (and wheels). Check the ‘specs’ hyperlink for any given tire size. Great variation between tires of same size and even of same profile. You can waste many hours comparing :).

It seems higher price (generally) = lower weight. Nothing too surprising.

My sweet spot (for a 9-5): O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT 19×8.5 (black) at 10.18 kg with 245/40ZR19 Continental ExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season) at 10.9 kg. Not cheap….but you’d probably have money left over for the Hirsch ECU Hirsch upgrade!

Sven an Dijkman
Sven an Dijkman

Hi Jeff!

As I have pointed out in an earlier comment, this is what I believe will be the main outline of the new 9-3 (according to local newspaper Sydsvenskan car writer Lasse Holmström that new car will be named 900..).

It is definitely different from any other car around. Your works also brilliantly shows the “hidden Ursaab) underneath the “fluid metal” . Many other details can and will be different in the production version but the large lines will be found. Still, just my 2 cents.

But great work from you Jeff!

Enjoy!

belfast_saab
belfast_saab

Funny, it looks naked without the wings, maybe I do like them after all??? confused now?!

GerritN
GerritN

No, you’re not confused, I noticed the same thing after Jeff released his renderings last week. I think it’s not the wings that you are missing but the rail that runs to the front. Without it the PhoeniX looks too much like a bubble car and, in general, we don’t like the Jetson’s designs anymore.
There has to be something that ‘breaks’ the large expanse of the bubble glass canopy.

Rune
Rune

A colleauge of mine proposed painting the winglets black…

Troels, Denmark

Strange that those quite elegant , light and functional and Saabish wings have caused so much discussion. Those renderings shows (what I have been saying – sorry) that the wings never have been a (the) problem. A problem is – in my opinion – the heaviness off the whole car seen from the side and the big dark “whole” along the door-panels.

gunteman
gunteman

I agree. I’m somewhat warming up to the overall design, but the side-view heaviness remains a problem. A waist-line that high makes it look heavy, bloated and about as powerful as an old guy with the waist of his pants drawn up towards his chest. Only a handful of cars, like the Lancia Stratos (coincidence?), have been able to pull that kind of design off, and the Phoenix just doesn’t.

Stefan
Stefan

In my opinion the wings should not be realized in production. They may look cool (I am a bit ambivalent about that), but they are very pedestrian unfriendly, aren’t they?

Alex
Alex

I may be proved wrong but I really think that mystery 9-5 with the new tailgate is the 9-5x prototype without the cladding.

The car was noticeably higher off the ground than a standard 9-5 and that tailgate seems to work well with a rear bumper with off road cladding much like on the 9-3x.

Red J

Alex, you may be right. I used the name “American” to give it a name, but it is still not proven if the USofA and Canada will get the tailgate shown in Geneva or not.

North Toronto Punter
Or, from his (?) POV: Treeghugger’s Doppelganger :). I’m hooked on PhoeniX. It’s replaced Rune’s 9-5 as my wallpaper. Even I who thought we’d need need to bring out something beyond 300 HP in the next 9-3 to be competitive (for my Turbo X replacement….[sibling?]) has been put in his place by this car (I must remind myself … Concept). If they can crack 0- 100 Km in 6 seconds…with anything near the fuel economy claimed…looking like that [Oh please God, winglets…If Hirsch was smart they’d start figuring out a way to fabricate NOW …if not from factory] costing even… Read more »
North Toronto Punter

And, to (re) echo: Hats Off to David Calabrese.

Alex
Alex

The wings have grown on me, they are part of the composition of the design and do their part and I have to say I think they do it well. I think people see them as tacked on bits but when you remove them I just see a bubble car, nothing very interesting.

sky
sky

.ha ha .so if you put these wings onto a nsu bubble car it will turn into a phoenix.?wow.never thought my dream car would be a nsu bubble.

Sven van Dijkman
Sven van Dijkman
Yes Alex, I agree on what you feel. But the wings will not make production on the new 9-3. Better no false hopes there. But what the PhoeniX does is showing us a solution -in principle- of how a teardrop shape of the (upper-) back end of the car can be combined with a great cargo and a spectacular design. I guess that this basic shape is what VM always refers to when talking about the design of the next generation 9-3: that it will be very different and special, very Saab-ish. But I could be wrong. When was the… Read more »
Per klerestam
Per klerestam

Anyone that can photoshop a 9-5x?

Greven

Red J

Try this.

But it is a little bit old

turbin
turbin

Re: wingless PhoeniX. Anybody remember what happened to the “clean” Koenigsegg with no wing on Top Gear?? Stig got owned by that car, and Clarkson was crapping himself in it. They got to call the much needed and belated wing, the Top Gear Wing.

I think this is immensely bold of SAAB to redefine what the wing can be especially without affecting visibility.

That said, hats off to Jeff for at least demonstrating the clean lines of the underlying body.

PT
PT
Hang on dude – wasn’t it that they insisted on driving it before K-segg had set it up ( it was a proto I recall) and the wing was pretty much redundant once they tweaked the suspension anyway? I’m sure I read that somewhere. Nevertheless – I remain a fan of the wing. While I’m here: Love the Hirsch wheels. The price? Comes with the territory. Look at something similar from Rays or BBS. Finally we get the 95X, surely the biggest free-kick in Saabs recent history. This will be a great addition to the family if its true. Sad… Read more »
Helen D'ambrosi
Helen D'ambrosi
Hi All, David Was a great soul. I can truely say, They don’t make that model any longer! David would often spend his sunday’s working on his Saab. Then he would come for dinner and chat with me and my roomate.We are all hurting so much! I am going to have a service for him. I will post the dates and place. He is the article on the accident. Gone but never forgotten. Helen D’ambrosi Jr and Candy Shelar. March 3, 2011 A 70 year-old man died Wednesday, one week after he was involved in a multivehicle crash on the… Read more »
900_S
900_S

Wow… My thoughts go out to family and friends. Hope everyone else was okay…

Jörgen Trued - SUHRT
Jörgen Trued - SUHRT

The Monte Carlo movie from 1965. So sweet!
9 min 10 sec into the movie the SAAB 96 winners are seen Pat Moss-Carlsson and co-driver Elizabeth Nyström (from Trollhättan) gets their 1st prize in the Womens category.