More Saab ink from the Geneva Auto Show 2011

Once again, to augment the very capable and welcome coverage from Geneva by our own Swade and RedJ, I bring you the following links and information from around the internet.  Enjoy!

Via MusicforaNurse on Twitter:  I think the Saab PhoeniX hit the mark!

Take a look at the excellent photos from our good friend Golfhunter.  Well done, Jeff!

I am glad to see a little love for the new 9-5 SportCombi from Autoblog.  They call it “one sharp cargo-hauler”, and I tend to agree:

Autoblog photo of 9-5 SportCombi in Geneva

More 9-5 SportCombi photos from Autoblog may be found here.

Venerable auto media giant Motor Trend weighs in with a reminder that Phoenix was a Pontiac compact in the ’70’s and ’80’s, but certainly gives credit where it is due, saying, “The car may be a bit busy, but it is gorgeous…”

Wired magazine has a great post entitled “Saab’s Surprisingly Slick PhoeniX Hybrid” that, not surprisingly, details as much about the Google-Android-based IQon system as does about the car overall.  I love this bit:

Saab floored a lot of people at the Geneva auto show with the Phoenix, a slick gas-electric concept that provides a glimpse of the automaker’s future now that Spyker’s taken over from General Motors.

James Bell, correspondent for USA Today, says this in a very short article:

Just 12 months ago, Saab was on the verge of liquidation. Today, they are a perfect example of the spirit and energy seen in people and companies poised for growth in the post-meltdown era.

USA Today also takes issue with the fanciful prose from the Saab press kit.  I might agree….

Britain’s What Car? goes under the skin to explore the underpinnings of the Saab PhoeniX with our Jan-Åke Jonsson.

Jonsson insists that the new architecture is essential to Saab’s independence (it was sold by General Motors just over a year ago) and, although expensive, will ultimately save money.

‘We will be able to use the same powertrains in all our vehicles and build them in the same plant (Trollhattan in Sweden), so there are lots of benefits,’ he said.

Cars.com likes the Saab PhoeniX overall, but they dislike the winglets on either side of the roof.  WARNING: “Q” word in use!

Swade, RedJ, Golfhunter, Robin, et al: enjoy Switzerland, keep sending information!

aZuL2001
aZuL2001

Compliments for the coverage guys.
You really know how to make us green with envy of not being there.

Thanks 😉

jos
jos

Speak for yourself, I’ll be going next week… 😉
Ok, not a VIP in the press days, just a plain fanboy along with all the others.

saabdude
saabdude

Great coverage! Thanks.

Will all of these cars make it to the New York Auto Show in April? Sure would like to see them in person.

Looks like SAAB will be located next to Porsche & Audi in NY.

Saabheart
Saabheart

I think we should plan a meet up at the NY Auto Show. I love meeting up with fellow Saab people!

Jr.
Jr.

Saab is mentioned at Engadget as well. That doesn’t happen every day. For me, IQon is a much bigger and more important release than the PhoeniX

JeremyP
JeremyP
I have always found the ‘fanciful prose’ to be a bit ridiucous. All car companies do it, but I thought some of the PhoeniX text was way over the top. Car companies insist on naming every single aspect of the car with some cute moniker or in our case trying to relate every single item back to our aircraft roots (Saab has been doing both in top gear). Aircraft haves seats, cupholders (maybe not jet fighters) etc so lets not push it too far. I remember the new 9-5 having ‘fuselage inspired styling’ which seems like grasping at straws when… Read more »
Henke
Henke

Jeremy Clarkson is a Clown not a good car tester!

Peter Gilbert
Peter Gilbert

The 9-5 Combi in the photo looks every bit as good as I expected.

Peter, interestingly not until you said it, did I realize why the wagon looks so good in a familiar way. It’s got the same kind of tail light cluster reaching over the hatch that the c900 did.

JL
JL

The new 9-5 SC is such a beautiful cargo-hauler! Hard to resist and I expect that it will become a great success.

TurboLover
TurboLover

News about Swade in Ttela (Trolhättan’s main paper)
I short: Swade will stop bloggin’ at this site (as we know), but will probably not “leave Saab”
Run it through Google trans and read for yourself:

This is exiting, were will our King / Rock Star / Idol / Role Model / X go from here?

Loma
Loma

It’s a well known secret in Belgium that he already changed his name into Wouter van Besien , and became the chairrman of the flemish green political party “Groen”.

TurboLover
TurboLover

I would believe you if it was not a fact that van Besien drives a Toyota 😉

Nate 9-3
Nate 9-3

Swade is an international man of mystery, that’s for sure.

Ted Y

Regarding the USA fanciful prose complaint, they say “the point seems to be that the car has a lot of drag coefficient”. Ha, quoting them, I say “Who writes this stuff? indeed. 🙂

mike900
mike900

Thank you Eggs!

It really helps to see the broader opinion in these little snippets of yours.

Excellent 🙂

Börjesson
Börjesson
Here’s a full translation of that story in TTELA about Swade and the future of Saabs United: Steven Wade stops blogging – may get new assignments for Saab GENEVA Usually first with news about Saab and often attending the fairs around the world. But now Steven Wade will stop blogging at Saabs United. – But the site will continue, and I may possibly get new assignments by Saab, he says. Saabs United played an important role in the fight to save Saab – through the blog, car caravans with Saab cars were arranged around the world. And when it comes… Read more »
rodmylon
rodmylon

It would be the biggest mistake of the decade if Saab didn’t hire Swade in some form. With all the cutting edge tech. and design and so forth presented Saab can still make another world’s first – and that is interactive communication and community. And Swade has had a vision for that for years. Please, please, please Saab (Muller & Johnsson) and Swade: GO FOR IT!!! =) =) =)

As somebody, who seemed like an insider, posted in the comments on Aftonbladet: You’ve ain’t seen nothing yet! =)

TurboLover
TurboLover

Richard
Richard

I will most certainly miss Swade and his articulate, well balanced opinions and prose. But if anyone deserves to seek out new horizons and opportunities closer to Saab – Swade is the man. I suspect we’ll hear more once Geneva is all said and done.

As always Swade, amazing coverage at this most important of auto shows for Saab! Best of luck on whichever road in the Saab universe you take.

hilmar
hilmar

Sorry – for me the wagon looks as if they put two pieces together. A sedan with a bagpack. No continual design like my OG 9-5. Waiting what they will create with the NG 9-3. Good luck !

Golfhunter

Thank you Mike for the credit and appreciation .
We really did have a good time yesterday all together .Definitely productive !

Alexandros
Alexandros
Very positive article about the Phoenix from Germany’s SPIEGEL ONLINE: http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0,1518,748570,00.html The highlights: “The Swedish brand Saab, which fought a year ago for survival was in Geneva a real surprise: They revealed a spectacularly styled coupé with the evocative name Phoenix. “We want to provoke,” says Saab’s designers Jason Castriota.” “However, there will be not a 2 +2 seater model such as the phoenix. “It was in this car about once again to show something provocative,” says Saab desgn Jason Castriota. Nevertheless, the car is not just a bang for the parched worn by mobile industry audience. “We want to… Read more »
Joe
Joe

OT: Seidl to make U.S. dealers serious about SAAB engagement:

rodmylon
rodmylon
I noticed some concern about the strong Swedish crown (kr) compared to the dollar, and somewhat compared to the euro. Both Saab and Volvo are troubled by this and the current exchange rate is 0.02 more than the expected maximum in the business plan (the Swedish news started with “Saab’s business plan broke”). Volvo is somewhat secured by the factory in Gent, and of course Saab soon has 9-4x from Mexico, but the business plan requires sales of the 9-3 and 9-5 in US too. The crown is expected to keep rising compared to the dollar and euro in short… Read more »
Daniel R
Daniel R

Did they expose two 9-5 SC’s?
And can anybody tell which colour this is? Thanks a lot.
In general from the pics I would say the new SC is especially in light colours a breathtaking beauty.
Enjoy Geneva everyone lucky enough to be there.
Daniel R

Red J

On the booth there are two different 9-5SC, one BioPower with Automatic transmission and one TTiD4 XWD with manual transmission. The BioPower is Diamond silver with parchment interior and the Diesel is the next darker grey shade, I think its called granite grey, and has a black interior.

Daniel R
Daniel R

Dankeschön!
Daniel

NGMH
NGMH
SAAB is making a huge splash with this car. It made it to a techno geek blog called DVICE. See it here I like reading this blog and so do technophiles the world over. That is good news for SAAB. Even more important, my sister called and said she wanted this car! She doesn’t care at all about cars. Doesn’t follow the car scene and the fact that she even heard of a concept car shown 4,000 miles away from her is amazing. That means that lots of people must be speaking about this car for her to even hear… Read more »
gunteman
gunteman

I’m a bit on the fence regarding the 9-5 SC. I guess using the same doors as the sedan was a financial decision, but it was unfortunate. It would have looked better without the slope, and it would have worked a lot better. But, if they were really forced to save this money (don’t have any knowledge about how much it saves), I think they made the best of it, especially by including that little twitch in the upper edge of the c-pillar, which kind of helps the slope look more OK.

JL
JL

I doubt that they kept the sedan back doors to save money. I think this design is intended and I love it.

gunteman
gunteman

Have you stepped into the back of a 9-5? It’s a tricky maneuver and you end up in a position where you can’t see out of the car. The sedan is so stunning in it’s coupe-ness that it’s worth that sacrifice, but for a combi aimed at families with kids (and in Sweden the taxi market is big) it is a very real problem. I think Saab has recognized this, but that they had to go this route.

JL
JL
I see what you mean, but I do not remember it being that bad. It may still be different to step into the back seat of the SC, but that remains to be experienced (there will be more space through improved interior height). Most often it will be kids – shorter and more flexible than grown ups – entering the back seat. It is rather unusual for adults to sit in back seats. Getting into the drivers seat of Audi´s and BMW´s is a bigger challenge to me than getting into the back seat of a 9-5 sedan. Strangely enough… Read more »