Press Reaction to the Saab PhoeniX Concept

Swade, RedJ and Golfhunter all in the same room with Victor Muller.  In Switzerland. Jealousy knows no bounds.  Hoist one for me, gents.  I’m headed to Green Bay, Wisconsin today, which could actually be the antithesis of Geneva.  For me it is, anyway.

For the rest of us, we rely on the word of others to describe what they see at events like this one.  Here are a few of the people writing about the Saab PhoeniX as unveiled today:

– From Car and Driver:   I love this new phrase coined in the C&D write-up:  “Saabnitive Dissonance”. This heading seems to describe the departures from the Saab norm; they point out that Jason Castriota’s roots at Ferrari signal a departure from history and that the design is not your typical Saab.

On the flip side, they, too, note the Pontiac-ish tail lights.

– From TopGear: “Think of this Saab as the T-1000 of concept cars, only with less duplicitous pointy-metal-finger death and more economy. ”

– From Car Magazine: “[Jason Castriota] called the new language ‘Aeromotional’.  But we see plenty of hallmarks of Castriota’s work at Bertone, mashed up with references to Saab’s past.”

Car Magazine also calls the PhoeniX “one of the few genuine surprises of the Geneva show”.

– From AutoExpress: “The future is looking bright for Saab. In the boldest statement yet of its new-found confidence, the Swedish giant took the wraps off this stunning sports car concept at the Geneva Motor Show”

– From TopSpeed: ” Back in 2006 Saab impressed the world with the launch of the Aero-X, a concept considered a piece of art back then. But now, five years later Saab wants to amaze us once again. And they did with the launch at the Geneva Motor Show of the new Phoenix, a concept car that previews the design language of next generation of Saab cars. You have to admit, if the future Saab models will look anything like this, then the company will really raise from its own ashes, like the Phoenix bird did.”

– From the New York Times: “‘We did it to show we could, to show that we are here to stay,’ said Victor Muller, Saab’s chief executive, in an interview.”

– From Motor Authority:  “clean, muscular shape” and “a 2+2 cabin that blends simplicity with technology”

– From Kilometer Magazine: “The Phoenix is simply stunning, and we expect that while a sport coupe might not be Saab’s first priority, the face, some of the surfacing, and hopefully the dot-matrix taillights will make it to future production models. While looking thoroughly modern, the PhoeniX also looks very Saab and it even evokes the Sonett with its short, stubby rear end. New design languages always need a buzzword and the one for this new look is ‘Aeromotional.'”

– From NetCarShow: A very no-nonsense, workman-like description.  Almost like they just copied the press kit or something. ;-).  Worthy of mention because of the fantastic gallery of Saab PhoeniX photos posted on the page.

– From Jalopnik:  They invite you to “check out the hot, sexy Swedish action of the exterior”.

Finally, from Swedish Radio, an excellent series of photographs from the Saab Phoenix unveiling are located here.

Todd
Todd

The more I look at this car and imagine it without the wings the more I like it. I too was a bit unsure at the beginning of my day. But after a full day with it as my desktop background it is looking better every minute. Secondly after seeing the passion Castriota speaks to Saab’s heritage and his design attempting to capture it, makes me glad he is part of the future.

CPB
CPB

I agree that it would look better without the wings–and without it, the teardrop shape would be accentuated & highlighted. And I think it would make the car look more “production-ready” (although that could make it less of a “concept” car).

Nate 9-3
Nate 9-3

Great write up.

maanders
maanders

Hmmm…Kilometer Magazine likes the “dot matrix” tail lights…..they seem to be one of the few who do. 🙂

Peter, Sweden
Peter, Sweden

Great job, Eggs! A really nice read, it’s starting to look promising indeed… But one can’t help to wonder – are all the other Saab-models drowning under all the Phoenix-talk?

What is the press saying about the 9-5SC? What do people think about the Independence-convertible? How many people out there will even notice that the 9-3SC has gone green?

coxy900
coxy900
There are so many comments flying around, I don’t know if this has been referenced yet. But a very interesting, if short, interview with JC: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorshows/geneva-motor-show/265072/jason_castriota_qa.html “Our core products have to satisfy our loyal fanbase – yet attract new customers too. That’s difficult. We have to prepare existing customers for where we want to go, then attract new ones.” And: “Design-wise, the character of the nose, the front end graphic, the strength of the stance and the fuselage-style body will all be translated to the production-ready 9-3 when it arrives in 2012. But we will not do Russian doll cars… Read more »
maanders
maanders

Russian doll cars….interesting phrase but very descriptive, i.e., all the models will not just be larger versions of the same identical shape.

Jason Powell
Peter, I don’t think it’s possible to be drowning under all the talk of the PhoeniX. The fact that people like Car and Driver have already covered the car and wrote an extensive review of it can only help attention come to the other vehicles under the umbrella. Saab has done exactly what one could hope with a concept, got people talking. Look at how many websites out there already have write ups on Saab today. The PhoeniX will draw them in at the show and they will not be able to help themselves from stopping at the Independence model… Read more »
gunteman
gunteman

Narration to the slide show at http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=125&grupp=14223&artikel=4376993:

1. Come on! Come on! Come on!
2. Yeees!! This looks stunning!!
3. Noooo!! What happened!!
4. Phew! It does look stunning!
5. What? Is that thing for real? Hope it’s the angle. Strong stance? Like this?
6. Overrun?
7. To the right! To the right. There’s a stunning car to the right!
8. Ah, there it is!
9. Hey, you’re looking in the wrong direction!

OK, sorry for bringing more Phoenix bashing into this thread…It seems the car did the trick. Lots of attention, and most of it positive. Guess I’m just the worrying kind.

Svx92
Svx92

Russian doll cars? LOL. Take that Germany. I think buzz word/phrase might make it higher in my lexicon than aeromotional.

Great to hear that the concept car is newsworthy. As sexy feminine as the AeroX is, this is muscular masculinity. I expect their balanced offspring to my next 9-3 convertible.

Alex
Alex

The more I look at this car the more I get it and the more I love it.

I just saw a pic of the new 9-5 SC and honestly my first thought was, “a litle bland.” Jason has raised the bar for Saab IMO

Anders Milwaukee
Anders Milwaukee

If you have time you should head to Milwaukee when you are in Wisconsin. We have a SAAB display at the Milwaukee auto show until March 6th.

martinsaab
martinsaab

“If this is the future of Saab, then the brand will never die!” says German Autobild.
“The PhoeniX is spectacular…” “…then the Saab fans don’t have to worry about the future..:”

Sounds great. And keep in mind, it is a German car magazine. 🙂