Saab PhoeniX Concept in pictures

OK. My camera blew up two-thirds of the way into today’s proceedings so I haven’t got a whole heap of photos. And guess who left his charger back at the house (here in Geneva)…..

But here’s a quick photographic tour of the Saab PhoeniX Concept. It catches some of the great little features on this car.

I’ll take a bucketload more tomorrow and I’m also doing a video tour around the car with Jason Castriota.

——

The crowd reaction was interesting.

The crowd was pretty big. Opel had the press conference immediately before Saab and even while the Opel conference was still going, the crowd was building 5-deep at Saab.

I was expecting a large ovation when the car was unveiled but the reaction was a lot quieter than I expected. That’s not a bad thing. The reaction was very positive, but I think a lot of people were really having to do what we had to do – take it all in and get used to it.

The car was almost immediately set upon by the crowd and it’s been extremely busy at the Saab stand all day ever since.

——

The rear lighting will be a cause of concern for some. The execution in this concept is probably not quite what they envisioned when they put the idea together. It’s basically the victim of an incredibly short time frame.

I love the aeroplane logo incorporated in the back there. The dots, not quite so much, but they don’t offend me at all.

As you can see, there’s also extensive use of carbonfibre in the back, too. I’ll have more detail on that below.

——

The front end. The paint looks awesome and the contours show up beautifully. There’s some reminiscence of the Saab 99 hood contours in there. The whole thing looks really, really clean.

The wordmark looks great. I know some will lament the loss of the Griffin on this, but personally speaking, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it in this context.

Not that’s got muscles….

——

The side profile. Also muscly. The more I look at this photo the more substantial the car looks to me.

Another angle…..

——

I think the ‘flying buttresses’ are the most controversial part of the design. Personally speaking, I love 98% of this car. These are my personal 2% and I’m struggling with them.

The purpose is to effect the airflow, of course, and aerodynamics is an important part of this car and will be an important part of Saab’s future.

I’m willing to bet, however that most of the negative commentary we’ll hear will relate to this feature. It seems to me they could have left these off and it wouldn’t have had a negative impact on the car at all, but it would have avoided some of the negativity.

Bottom line – this is a design concept and should be looked at as such. It’s not a precursor to a production model and whilst they’re not a part of the car that I like personally, I’m not going to have those dictate my thoughts on the whole concept.

——

A closer look from the different perspective….

——

Some of the rear-end CF detail….

——

And now to one of the more favoured features….. the wheels maketh the car once again…..

And the centre badge in detail. Love those wings…..

——

A look at the front end into the interior…..

——

RedJ got a couple of pictures of the interior, too. Very minimalist, very clean. I’m going to look into more of this tomorrow.

——

And finally, inside the rear hatch. This is another RedJ shot. I haven’t seen this for myself at all, yet. Will be part of the tour with Jason tomorrow.

Ari
Ari

I don’t mean to sound too glib though; it’s all rather heart breaking in terms of its ramifications for Saab’s future.

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

I disagree.

I think it is a brilliant step forward while still maintaining subtle roots.

Considering the intent of the car, it is an exceptional piece.

Jason Petho

DMR
DMR

Ethnic stereotyping – unbecoming of a Saab driver.

Alyeska2112
Alyeska2112

Agreed. And I’m not at all dismayed by the design. Minus the obvious whimsy of the airfoils, I think it’s a remarkable shape, with a subtly aggressive stance, and a terrific harbinger of Saab’s ever brightening future. 2010 is over. Things are genuinely looking good in Trollhattan.

SasaK
SasaK

Agree 100%, it’s so TASTELESS. I feel so sorry

psmisc
psmisc

“This is what you get when you hire a guy from the Jersey Shore to do a Swede’s job.”

Stay classy, people.

Charles
Charles

I don’t think this one is going to grow on me. Seems they have done a 180. There is no simplicity to this design, nothing scandinavian, nothing Saab. It has bulges, flying buttresses just for the heck of it. The ice of blue/greens and ice blocks seems to already been thrown out the window with all the red in the interior. It is anything but clean.

I want to like this, but I can’t. It is garish.

kanundrum
kanundrum

I know where your coming from, but leaving SAAB back in the old days of styling will get it no where in the future. Times have changed and for them to make it in this world they need to compete with how the new cars look.

Have you seen the focus, fiesta, hyundai etc.

They look amazing.

Charles
Charles

That is fine, and you can change your design direction. But if it breaks all your core principles, than I see it as an issue.

I car can be clean, simple, yet still very modern.

You mentioned cars that have very busy designs, that will age quickly and not gracefully.

I know its a design exercise, but really, a hood window on a Saab? There is nothing clean, classy, understated about that. Leave the hood window to Corvette please…

rodmylon

I suppose the hood window shows the heart of the independent Saab beating (even if it’s a Saab modified BMW motor). No more compromises in the heart of Saab.

Jeff
Jeff

I love the contours on this car. The bulges, the muscularity of it, yet in a sleek minimalist way, all very exciting stuff for a company that has been all about reducing form to smooth curves. This is Saab’s “I’ve been to the gym and I’m ready to compete” moment. I like it.

Bravada from GMI

We have seen the Focus, Fiesta and I am right back from driving a Hyundai. They are awful, insectoid, alien, bloated and rather repulsive. Both inside and out. Absolutely nothing to derive inspiration from. Stay away from those.

Henrik
Henrik

+1 brrr, the worst thing is that I spotted a Fiesta parked next to a Ovlov V60 and from behind it looked like they were sisters 🙁

Dino
Dino

Haha, I nearly fell off my chair laughing 🙂

Doctor Donk
Doctor Donk

Where are griffins?

eggsngrits

I think that the Griffin will go the way of the two-stroke engines and Minilites.

Seriously, if memory serves, Saab Aeroplan AB (the original Saab) licensed GM to use the Griffin for cars. Now that GM isn’t in the picture, the agreement may come to an end. Again, that is my recollection; it may not be reality.

Alyeska2112
Alyeska2112

True, the Griffin logo was lost to Saab Cars. I remember reading they had to choose between the logo and the wordmark. I definitely think they made the right decision.

Ante
Ante

Brand agreements are between SAAB Automobile AB and SAAB AB…

JeremyP
JeremyP

Griffin Up! Oh… wait… Can’t use that anymore… Letters Up!

Rick C
Rick C

Make it “flaps up” as in ready for take off! Great to see the aero logo back, especially on the wheels…..those spinning Griffins had to be getting dizzy….I think the “fire breathing chicken” has seen it’s day, I know the one on MY hood flew away!

TurboLover
TurboLover

😀 I made a real LOL on that 😀

KT
KT

I feel very disapointed of the design and the lost of the griffin logo.
The griffin is part of the brand history! It’s more classy distinctive than just the letters.
Can anyone imagine BMW/ Alfa abandoning their logos and replace with letters?
By the way the new aeroplane propellor logo is so old fashion! I’m sorry but we are not in the 60s anymore!

kanundrum
kanundrum

Get rid of that auto gearbox and the wings and it will be good to go!

Bernard
Bernard

It’sgot three pedals and a stick shift, so your wish is their command. As for the wings, I really don’t think they will make it to production for pedestrian safety reasons.

rodmylon

It’s quite clearly stated in the press release that it has a 6-speed manual gearbox!

Justyn
Justyn
saabdude
saabdude

Folks…please…it’s a STYLING EXERCISE.

Don’t get your knickers in a wad.

It is seemingly drawing a lot attention to SAAB…and that is precisely what SAAB needs right now. Remember…there STILL are a lot of folks who think SAAB is OUT OF BUSINESS. Remember that? And how people here get all angry about that fact?

Anything that will focus the world’s press attention on SAAB in a positive way is priceless.

So relax.

eggsngrits

+1. This is a show pony, not your everyday ride. Concept cars are supposed to push the limits a little.

DMR
DMR

At the same time, the concept defines the vision…this looks more like a Spyker vision than a Saab vision. Remember the Aero-X? This is no Aero-X.

With the Phoenix, Saab can no longer claim to distinguish itself from BMW and the herd that follow that path. If they are not careful, they risk getting shoehorned into the gadget heavy Acura category, or worse as C&D put it, as a European Pontiac that ends up appealing only to hardcore racing enthusiasts.

saabdude
saabdude
“…this looks more like a Spyker vision than a Saab vision.” So when GM had SAAB in its clutches for two decades…the AeroX was the only vehicle that came out of that “shotgun” marriage, and it never got any further than one show car? Might you prefer SAAB still being a part of GM, where models don’t get refreshed more than once in 10 or 15 years? We’ve seen more from Spyker/SAAB in the first 12 months of ownership, than we did in the 240 months SAAB were a part of GM. “With the Phoenix, Saab can no longer claim… Read more »
Mikaik
Mikaik

I wanted to write the same post throughout the day. In the end I thought is maybe wiser to just stay away and not stir the spirits.

I totally agree with you, saabdude.

From a crowd claiming to be so “different”, some of the comments are really disappointing, while the lack of respect for JC’s work is disturbing.

B.
B.

BMW PhoeniX a.k.a. Efficient Dynamics:

BaRa
BaRa
Do you really consider the BMW Efficiënt dynamics concept a contender for the PhoeniX concept? These are two totally different cars. The only thing they have in common is that they are sportscars and that they are trying to spin car aerodynamics in a different way than before. BMW does it by elaborately folding the car’s surface, Castriota limits himself (visually, at least) to the flying butresses. Something that was introduced, but in a different shape, in the 9-X Air concept. Other than that, no resemblance between the BMW and the Saab. The PhoeniX has much more in common with… Read more »
Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

Teknikens Värld in Sweden has this video up on their site: Teknikens Värld Saab PhoeniX Concept video.

For people not speaking Swedish it can still be nice to see the details….

esone
esone

Interesting video. Castriota has dared to do it. And……..do not need to speak the language to see 🙂

SAAB_andee
SAAB_andee

Some details were nice – some not (do´t like the back) but the car has done it´s job. It´s a pure PR car. If you remember most clean saab designs were good but not really recognized by the press (only the aero x was a halo car) This concept car has enough to hate and love. the new 9-3 is a different story.

charlie
charlie

OK.

Details on the rear are looking very interesting. I like the brake vents.

The interior! Wow. I am loving it. Single cluster at front, with SID information? Then the screen at the right angle. That is really really really good.

Do something like this for the single cluster:

(from the aero-x)

Those headlights can’t be DOT legal?

is is 2+2 seater?

Save the Griffin!

Esone
Esone

Fantastic:) They have managed to create a Concept in a short time, and with so many elements of older Saab included. And the car looks futuristic and modern. Because …… older Saab was, and Castriota is a genius.

Dan

I still don’t think the griffen is going anywhere. I think the older airplane logos are just for this concept, to match the older Saabs that it is intended to imitate.

The griffen is how the world knows Saab. Not the airplane.

Baah
Baah
I was just starting to like the concept, and then I found this: http://www.yosax.com/bertone-mantide Then I thought like this: VM pushed JC to come up with something “new” for the Geneva show. JC said “ok, but it will be tight, I will need to use some of my old stuff”. So, he started with the Bertone Mantide concept and tweaked it a bit. VM said in the interview that we “will see the similar front and the hood on the new 9-3”. Probably because that is the part of the concept that JC really had the time to re-work from… Read more »
(db)

A quote from an old Jalopnik interview with Castriota;

You just go; “Nah, I’ll keep this one in the drawer, just keep it in the head.” And one day, who knows, maybe an opportunity will come about, where you can go; “Viola! There it is!” And you know, people will love it or they’ll hate it.

Baah
Baah

Yes, at least 80% of this car is from the drawer, I would guess. As I said, he probably worked on the front to make sure it will fit with the next gen 9-3. And I do think front part of the car looks pretty good. The side is not SAAB at all.

It is very obvious that this is a drawer thing when Bangle asks “what is SAAB about the car”.

SasaK
SasaK

so sad, tasteless and re – cycled. I am deeply worried about the new 9-3

Joachim
Joachim

++ For the Android based IQon system should be standard in all SAABs

Ralph
Ralph

Hoping to seen some pics of the new Saab 9-5 SC here as well…

keith
keith

hilmar
hilmar

Not too futuristic for production, straighten it a bit , please, and it will hit the mark ! 🙂

Börjesson
Börjesson

From DI.se:

So how much will the new 9-3 look lite the Phoenix?
“More than you think”, says Mats Fägerhag.

I really hope they lose the Klingon forehead, though! (I.e. the strange creases on the hood.) And the interior, obviously, is completely horrible on the Phoenix and should have no bearing whatsoever on any production Saab.

Argosy
Argosy

I see that Jason Castriota is on his way of becoming SAAB’s Chris Bangle in a way he’s going to split opinions. Well, if he can have the same effect on SAAB sales as Bangle did on BMW sales, so much the better.

Personally, I love the concept. Considering they didn’t have much time to do it, it’s great. I love the “wings”.

JTMav
JTMav
I think when I look at the new 9-5 and see the hints of the Aero X then I think we will see a very interesting 9-3 next year. Concept cars are almost always intended to be controversial. Designers drool over the chance to make such a statement without any pressure for it to be practical or utilitarian. I see what Jason is talking about with reference to the roots of the company yet it must be fresh and modern, which it is. Just gets me that much more curious as to what the new 9-3 will look like. I… Read more »
Edonis
Edonis

Instead of the red illumination in the instrument cluster, I wish they used the same blue-green which they used in the Aero-X… I don’t like the rear-end, but the front is really good looking, and I could see an adaption of this design on the next 9-3 would look really cool!

2-don
2-don

I completely agree!!! If they would have stuck to the blue-green tail lights this would have looked a whole lot better. Also, I’m not too crazy about the wheels. Otherwise it’s not horrible, but different. It will take a while to grow on people. Why didn’t they go in the direction of the 9-3 Air? That was a great looking car!

Smoke_Jaguar4
Smoke_Jaguar4

It reminds me of the Cylon Raider from the re-imaged Battlestar Galactica series – especially the ‘vestigial’ wings. Hopefully it won’t try to extinguish the human race 🙂
Overall, what you would expect from a concept car: 90% free-form fantasy, 10% peek at the future. I’d say most of the details forward the A-pillars will be seen in production, the rest we’ll need to wait for.

Baah
Baah

Agree, and that is because 90% od this car is some old JC design work that has nothing to do with SAAB, like the Bertone Mantide.

rodmylon
I disagree! The rear is straight off the Sonett!! In a modern fashion. For those saying it has no Saab cues, here’s a list (again): -Front (obviously, and it’s much cleaner than at first sight) -Hood – lines and scultupring abit like the UrSaab (and the other old saabs) -Side window – like the UrSaab (clean bend at the back end of it – NOT a hockeystick like on the 900, as we expected. STILL this is a saab cube!) -Rear hatch – teardrop shaped and coloured like the UrSaab -Rear metal – bends at the sides like the Aero-X… Read more »
TurboLover
TurboLover

Well the basic shape is actually very good.
I see this as a very very good bottle of wine that have been opened to early. Maturing the wine will make it smoother just like this concept shold be smoothed by reducing all the exess features and overworked steel bending.

To put it in an other way. This concept is to much VM. it should be a little more JÅJ when it becomes the new 9-3 production car

Gunnar
Gunnar

Couldn’t have said it better!

eadams
eadams

+1.

Way too much checked tie with striped shirt …

Talladegan
Talladegan

I thought the same when viewing that 😀

Jason H
Jason H
Well, I’m super excited that we even HAVE a concept this year – Saab has been in a real rough patch most of the last decade. I’m not ready to say I’m totally blown away, need to spend more time with it, but I think certain tech in the car is very slick and that I like elements of the car that I think could make it to production models. JC said that you’d either love it or hate it, and from the various car mag comments/forums, that’s very apparent. In short – to have this, the 9-5 SC, and… Read more »
Talladegan
Talladegan

“I’m not sold on the dark color of the wheels however, I think they’d look better a few shades lighter.”

I think we’re a bit old fashioned as I feel the same but the ‘youth of today’ seem to like that dirty wheels look!

saaburban
saaburban

-I was so excited for this day to come.
Finally saab would have its ‘Audi TT’ moment,
with a concept car that could recapture saab.
Maybe an Ursaab reborn, in an sensual super hightech
silver teardrop.

-im critical of what i see, this is a distraction…
im worried, that saab is waisting time and money on this….
it is far from the aero-x star quality i would have expected.
If the next jason 9-3 will save saab, it better be as far away
from this as possible. lets see what the auto press will do
with this one.

SAAB_andee
SAAB_andee

This phoenix thing has done it´s job. I´ve checked the german car magazines and – the phoenix make news. so it creates some rumor . without the phoenix saab would´t be recognized by the magazines. a nice brave clear swedish concept as the 9x biohybrid wouldn´t get that attention.

It´s pure show to create PR.

Richard
Richard
This concept has a very different feel and presence than the Aero-X, which presumably is part of where some of the negativity comes from since the Aero-X is the last concept car that Saab had produced. As beautiful as the Aero-X is in my eyes, I don’t see that they can continue with that design language if they are to build into the future. I think choosing the teardrop element of UrSaab for this concept is brilliant. That shape introduced over 60 years ago was revolutionary. Almost every new design Saab has introduced has been beyond it’s time and took… Read more »
Keifer5448
Keifer5448

Drag co-efficient of 0.25
Canopy-inspired greenhouse
Teardrop shape
Driver-focused cockpit
Versatile cargo deck
200hp 1.6L engine
5.0 l/100 km and 119 g/km
Advanced eXWD
Nearly invisible A-pillars
And the list goes on…

Besides the red interior illumination, it would be hard for this car to be more Saab-ish. I have been with Saab all my driving life and am now on Saab number four. I must argue that, by the numbers and features, this is–without question–a Saab.

maanders
maanders
And remember how different the design of the Sonett was when it was first introduced, especially the Italian designed Sonett III? Yet everyone now considers that design part of Saab’s heritage. This concept strikes me somewhat the same way. But yes, production cars need green/blue lights….much more calming for night driving. The color red tends to impact people to excite….green and blue to calm. Red is fine for a concept/show car as you want it to build excitement, but I am confident that Saab’s years of safety knowledge and driver-focused design will swap out the red in production cars.
rodmylon

True. I wonder how the 9000 was initially received? It looked nothing like previous Saabs. Totally cubical. Still it’s a true classic these days! =)
And then we have the EV-1…

Keifer5448
Keifer5448
I’m in complete agreement about the 9000! I owned two (1990 turbo and 1995 Aero). In terms of overall function and interior form, a true Saab in nearly every sense. In terms of exterior form, a radical departure. Yet, even in terms of the exterior styling, it still seemed to embody an irreverence for status quo forms of the day–another hallmark of Saab. I see two general types of design: absolute and relative. Absolute design dictates that new designs mimic those that came before (read: retro styling). Relative design considers past designs and how they were situated among competitors. The… Read more »
Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

Just spotted Swade talking with VM on Swedish news on channel TV4. 😀

Nate 9-3
Nate 9-3

Nice!

Joe
Joe

Me too! Two SAAB saviours taking care of business.

rodmylon

I checked those clips, and more importantly!!! :
Antonov is now accepted by GM and the Swedish government. Only the EIB stands in the way now. It seems to be only a matter of time until Antonov is allowed in. Perhaps Muller will repay the loans earlier or something to get Antonov in fast, if no other way is found. Antonov says that there then will be possibilities to raise up to 1 billion euros in loans for Saab to create it’s future!!! If the talks about financing continues after that we might as well resign and buy horses… 😉

lala
lala

haha +1 on that

GerritN
GerritN
There has been a lot of talk about Saab DNA over the last year. Somehow design clues like clam shell hood, wrap around windshield, hockey stick, etc. have been confused with DNA, i.e. the underlying philosophy. As we look back over the years these design clues appear and disappear, but the philosophy seems to have stayed the same. Imho, the Saab philosophy has always been to design a beautiful car but in a simple and minimalistic way. The airplane heritage came in handy because, for aero-dynamical reasons the same design rules apply leading to a clean uncluttered vehicle. This is… Read more »
Richard
Richard

Excellent point on the definition of Saab DNA.

Lee
Lee

Well said.

Ian L.P.
Ian L.P.

I would of agreed with you last night, but looking at it today with more shots and angles I think it is a very clean design, I think you may be focusing too much on the details, specifically ones you may not like, such as the wing things. The overall shape is very clean and elegant.

Hinks
Hinks

+1. It´s fine as American muscle cars go, but Saab it ain´t, no matter how many wings they glue on.

Martin P
Martin P

Check out the doors:

maanders
maanders

I have already stated my initial opinions in the other posts on the concept, but with Swade’s close-up shot of the wheels and logo….seeing the low-profile tires that are so often used on concept and show cars just makes me think…..

In the future……there will be no potholes! 😉

Well….at least one can dream…

Dmain
Dmain

Separated at birth…I knew this I had seen this car before:

maanders
maanders

Seriously? I don’t see much similarity there at all.

Talladegan
Talladegan

Nor me. What is the white car anyway?

ivo 71
ivo 71
It’s a Buick Reatta. Hand-built (!) 2-seater coupé (I believe it was the only post-war 2-seater Buick; some ragtops were built as well) series, produced between 1988 and 1991 with standard 3.8 litre engineering and FWD. It had some pretty advanced tech in the cockpit, too: a touch-screen operated computer control interface for various in-car functions, no less. Remember, we are talking pre-1990. Not bad imho given the styling ideas of the period and the usual Buick design language. It even holds the road quite well and doesn’t actually drive badly at all. Pretty compact for an American vehicle, too.… Read more »
chaaalie
chaaalie

The whole point of having a concept this quickly and at this show was to PROVE to everyone Saab is not dead, not dying … having Castriota at the helm of it gives it some cache … but the most important thing here is that people are talking about a Saab. People are forming an opinion about a Saab … and hopefully sharing that opinion.

You know what that is called? RELEVANCE.

Welcome back, Saab!

Niklas G
Niklas G
charlie
charlie

I think we are being a little harsh on JC.

It does the trick. Gets the attention.

i do see the Ur-SAAB there.

Now to get to the classic 900SPG…

Peter
Peter

Yes, Bangle. Saab owns Aero. Has since day one.

Great video!

SAABoy
SAABoy

Is it me, or is that an annoyed Chris Bangle? He sounds like, not a nice guy, there. There’s this awkward tension throughout the conversation.

Peter
Peter

Two alpha males?

Also Bangle may be a bit jealous of the initial reaction to the PhoeniX. While copied far and wide, his 7-series was not well received initially.

Henrik
Henrik

I agree, he seems jelaus, I love it when Jason mentions the UrSaab and Bangle goes ursaab? I bet he thought that ws the 900. Well done Jason!

charlie
charlie

Also Bangle bashing on JC for “what is a saab”

as he likes to say, something you have to tear it down.

J Fan
J Fan

Annoyed or just a smart-alec?!

J Fan
J Fan

That was a great piece there.

JC seems like a very nice guy. Bangle came across as that awkward professor at university who would never let a student be right, and who always had a different ‘correct’ answer at the ready.

Also, look who is watching on at 0:46, I’d like to hear his thoughts 🙂

Curvin O'Rielly
Curvin O'Rielly

It looks like Bangle flunked charm school.

Loma
Loma

excuse my french , but:
Bangle, you aaare an asshole !!

(I may have broken some forum rules here, but I couldn’t resist)

maanders
maanders

Top Gear seems to like it.

Geneva Motor Show Saab PhoeniX Concept

TurboLover
TurboLover

Hmmm, when a read comments in different medias, I get the sence that people that are not into Saab DO like this concept very much, while “true Saabista” are a little bit more reserved.
Have anybody else noticed this?

rodmylon

I was actually thinking the right opposite earlier today. But I’d say it’s quite equal atm. I’m a bit afraid that non-Saab fans don’t get all subtle UrSaab/Sonett references, and it seems several Saab fans don’t either.

I read the comments over at DI.se and both Saab fans and Saab “dislikers” liked it and disliked it – but with a strong positive trend. The PhoneiX does exactly what it was designed to – raise brand awareness and discussion.

JL
JL

+1, great point!

Peter, Sweden
Peter, Sweden

I really don’t think that non-fans care about the references – on the contrary I think non-fans appreciate a bold direction which seems new (to them). There is a reason for them not being fans (yet).

The Phoenix does precisely what it needs to do: bring awareness that the brand is not only alive, but it’s really kicking — in the same time it cares about us fans with all the true Saabyness that only we nerds appreciate and notice 🙂

Laurens
Laurens
If this observation is right, then this concept car might already have achieved it’s purpose: attracting new consumers that are needed to bring the brand to higher sales levels, outside the ‘hardcore’ Saabista’s who cannot safe Saab for the long term on their own. Considering myself one of those Saabista’s, feelings are mixed indeed: front is absolutely a great step forward, certainly Saaby and promises a lot for the new 9-3 (or is it 93?). Don’t know yet about the side and back though, more Spyker than Saab I guess. Wings are really overdone, nothing clean Scandinavian design there. But… Read more »
Muppen
Muppen

Yes, I have seen that to!

saablife
saablife

What an insult to the SAAB design philosophy. Absolutely horrid. Where are the clean lines? This looks like an edel that was flatined by a large heavy object (meteor). This looks like a mid-90’s GM concept car that never saw the light of day.

Mr. Castriota is not doing any justice to the SAAB design philosophy at all.

Bring out the Aero X please!

TTAero
TTAero

Well, it seems to be doing the trick. The press likes it and that will create the buzz.
Great, bit I can not really se the wow-factor in this. I french concept use strange stuff and angkes, saab usually do not.
The front end is nice looking. But, as the saabs usually grow on me, I just might love this in a couple months.

GerritN
GerritN

Oh dear, people are going to quarter me for this, but I can’t resist.
Nissan doing Saab better than Saab?:

Next car in the slide show is the PhoeniX, so you can easily go back and forth between the two.

Btw, Ferrari is having its Panamera-me-too moment:http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/03/01/automobiles/autoshow/20110301-geneva-auto-show-4.html
Ugh, ugh, ugh, even Italian design can be ugly!

Mikaik
Mikaik

In fact, Nissan`s doing the AeroX again, only 5 years later. Can’t wait to see their PhoeniX in 2016.

maanders
maanders

I see what you mean about the Nissan. Sort of looks like the Saab concept prior to the Aero-X.

And that Ferari FF…..the front end of that car….ewwwww!

Troels, Denmark

Also the Koenigegg have the Saaby wrap-around-screen AND hockey-stick!

Toby
Toby
I wanted it, I wanted to see it. I thought I’d go, I have been waiting for years in the shadows for this I’d leave things undone to see it, I almost did… I drove home today in thought. I missed turnings I would normally take, deep in thought and in silence, radio off, I drove 20 miles more than I should have in my black 2002 9-3 Aero hatch just thinking about Phoenix. Trying to reconcile it. It looks more Spyker than Saab, I have searched for the DNA and I am sorry I just can’t find much of… Read more »
Troels, Denmark

I think that I will not make any more comments about this concept-car. Just, very friendly, – hopefully in sufficient time before finishing the new 9-3 that we all have been expecting so much from – reminding J.C. and V.M. about one important statement regarding design:
ONE CAN NEVER SAVE A MEDIOCRE SHAPE BY ADDING DETAILS. BUT ONE CAN SOMETIMES IMPROVE A GOOD DESIGN BY SUBTRACTING.

T.M.
T.M.

Well said. I still can`t decide if I don`t like it or hate it, there are some things that are ok, but it came out as a Frankenstein of older Saab models, I trust the 9-3 will look good as long as Simon Padian is still around and has a word to say in all of this. 🙁

Dave
Dave

Yes, I really hope Simon Padian is still arround. Unlike the Aero X, it’s really hard to see this one as a SAAB.

SAABoy
SAABoy

Lets replace the red with some other color effect. Maybe someone could photostop green or ice block effects for the interior and the hood window, please? 🙂

martinsaab
martinsaab
Strange observation on my side: it really starts (slowly, but still) growing on me. The more I look at it. Keeping in mind – of course – that it is a conceptual study… To the things I dislike: * the Peugeot-look-alike wheel arches: they are too flat at the outmost surface right above the wheels (don’t know if you get what I mean) * the rims: yes I do love the new Saab turbine rims, but those protrude way too much. Replace them by the 9-5 turbine wheels and I am happy 🙂 And I love the old-fashioned aircraft logo!… Read more »
Lee
Lee
Wow. I need to keep this in perspective: PhoeniX is not necessarily a template for future production cars, just a concept intended to generate outside interest in Saab while showcasing Saab’s design prowess. Saab fans are already going to stop by the Saab booth – Saab needs to grab the attention of those who are not yet conscious of Saab, something I am sure this concept car has accomplished. It is over the top, but as a concept, it isn’t supposed to be conservative – production cars are conservative. With that said, PhoeniX is too much Castriota and not enough… Read more »
Elbobo

It’s interesting as a pure concept, which it is. I wouldn’t drive a car that looked exactly like that but the chances of that are nil. I really think it has a lot of SAAB EV-1 in it as I looked at it more closely……

Chris

Kittciokas
Kittciokas

At the morning when i saw this car, i had mixed feelings, but now i do really like it, especially from the side, front is okay, but can be improved (i like Aero X front better), back is not bad (I love Aero X back), but not good to. Overall i would give it 8,5/10. I don’t like too small headlamps on the front and i would like it to be a little more minimalistic, like Aero X. People at Autoblog wasn’t very possitive, but here, in Lithuania, 99% of people loves it.

hughw
hughw
I’m an American and this car reminds me of overly muscled cars like the Corvette and Firebird. Just too much bling and too little cool. Sure the lines are nice, but I don’t see how the design concept can be adapted into production cars, other than a new sonnet. WHat Saab needs quick is to reach out to Jonathan Ive who evidentially is about ready to break with Apple and head back to the UK. I’m ready to buy a 9-5SC when they hit our shores, but looking into the years beyond, I don’t see a Saab in my future… Read more »
Pino
Pino

+1 on Jonny Ive for Saab’s design

Peter, Sweden
Peter, Sweden
It’s interesting how different perspectives two Saab-owners can have — I see tons of ideas that can be adapted into production cars. For instance the front could easily be the new 9-3-front. Also the absence of rear mirrors is a nice detail, as well as the return of the hatchback, the center tailpipes, the LED-cluster on the back, the extremely driver-oriented interior, the focus on aerodynamics (0.25!) + all technology underneath (electronic AWD, iQON, etc). All things mentioned above could and most certainly will end up in production Saabs. The Phoenix shows which road Saab is heading, it is not… Read more »
Harry
Harry

I sure like the technical stuff: 200 hp with 5,0 l/100km, the eXWD and the Iqon.

But I was very much looking forward to the design as a first glance as to what the new 9-3 might look like, as by end of 2012, my current 9-3 will be nine years old. It’s not that I do not like the design at all, but I really hope that it will considerably sober up come the new 9-3.

Olav
Olav

I like PhoeniX a lot! Bold lines flowing along the body like contrails in a windtunnel. If the new 9-3 really will have elements of this creation then I am really looking forward to see it in flesh in 2012. Way to go JC and VM!

Cheers from Norway
-Olav-
Always on the longest road home when out there with my SAAB. Always!

David Zemon

Once again, I’m in love.

I have issues with the car still, but no more than any other concept. I think the hood window needs to dissapear, and the flying butresses should go die lol but for the most part…. wow. Wow wow wow. Jason did an incredible job!

Cheers,
David

Carl-Henrik
Carl-Henrik

There are things I like.. and things I don’t like with the PhoeniX.
But I don’t care, as it is a concept and not a car that will go into production.

On another note.. it is interesting to see the comments here just confirms JC’s comments about “either you hate it or you love it”.. 😉

Jonny Mac
Jonny Mac

I like it! Castriotta implemented a fresh and modern design with more aggressive cues than in the past and in way that will hopefully lure Audi and Bimmer owners over to Saab so it can stay viable. Although this is just a concept, I can’t wait to see some it in production with the next generation 9-3.

TuuSaR
TuuSaR
Saab has generally had quite “ready to road” concepts but if you look what other carmakers are showing and have generally shown, then you realise that concept cars are usually more about new art gallery than “ready to road”. Common Saab rule is also that exterior is minimal and cockpit is busy like in a airplane, this thing is opposite. But in this case I guess it’s more are time and money why interior is so minimal.(if he even worked it on the last night) Anyway, as it’s not production car I see no reason to be emotional about it.… Read more »