Scottish Snowcross Championships 2011

Scotland is not Switzerland or Sweden, but they seem to have a couple of mountains where in winter they can have some snow fun.

This weekend the 2011 Scottish Snowcross Championships took place in the Glenshee Ski resort.

2011 Scottish Snowcross championship's poster

As you can see, it was sponsored by Saab.

It is an amateur competition, but at least locally, it keeps the name of Saab related with Snow-sports.

Last year Saab already sponsored the event, and it seems like people had a lot of fun.

For more pictures visit the Aberdeen snowsports club.

Back in the days where Ski-cross came to life SAAB-Salomon was a big name in the scene, they even had its own team. Now SAAB doesn’t have the budget, imho, but Salomon is continuing the job on its own.

I hope the relationship with Salomon is still there, and Saab can rejoin Salomon in 2013 when the financial problems of Saab become a lesser problem.

Allan B
Allan B

Three cool things about this story: It recommends that Saab refurbishes its links to winter sports (I heartily agree); second, it pleases us Scottish Saab enthusiasts (of which there are many); and the third cool thing is … ahem, the snow.

Alastair
Alastair
I totally agree Allan and to also point out that in response to – “Scotland is not Switzerland or Sweden, but they seem to have a couple of mountains where in winter they can have some snow fun” hey we are as far north as Alaska and have conditions that make the Alps look like a pussycat when we regularly experience hurricane force winds over the ski centres (emphasis on the word centres) with -20 to -30c a yearly occurrence. I also link SAAB with sport and feel that this synergy attracts a broader audience in terms of age group… Read more »
turbokalle
turbokalle

NO post is ever only to have one comment! Not as long as I`m around:)

I’ve been following with frustration the whole winter how Bimmer is trying to claim some kind of winter car status is Scandinavia sponsoring in almost every outdoor sport event possible. Next year Saab’s got to be more associated with winter, cold and tough conditions that can be overcome.
Same goes for the NA marketing. Why would anyone buy a Saab in Canada if they don’t know how good these cars are all year round?

Olav
Olav
That is not quite correct. Yes, BMW is now one of the major sponsors of many international sports events, just google BMW & Sponsorship and you’ll see what I mean. BMW and Audi however are big and especially Audi has been one of the major sponsors for most ski events all over the world for years without trying to establish themself as the winter car of Scandinavia in special. Off course there might be some elements of this wintercar-thing, but I think both BMW and Audi have a more general approach to this. Oh well, throw a snowball after me… Read more »
Olav, here it comes 😉 I probably should have added that B have been quite aggressively marketing the 4WD in nearly all events and I hate to say I’ve seen no answer to this from Saab anywhere. Saab should make it clear that good winter cars don’t necessarily need AWD and if you want it, they most certainly got it. When sponsoring an event try to get a message through, not just put the company name up there. I think the general public needs to be reminded of the Saab core qualities. How often don’t we get into a conversation… Read more »
Olav
Olav
I don’t disagree, but this has still little or nothing to do with what car is best as a winter car. At least here in Europe skiing events always engage huge audiences, and those events are perfect spots for a car manufactor to highligts their products. In the past SAAB was promoted as The Winter Car, but it’s not fair to say that SAAB nowadays is especially better than other car brands in winter conditions and therefor should put there focus on a wider target. Most cars today have FWD and 4WD, in the sixtiees this was very different where… Read more »

Duck! 🙂

..it’s not fair to say that SAAB nowadays is especially better than other car brands in winter conditions..

Just because cricket isn’t ‘huge’ in Sweden doesn’t mean they shouldn’t sponsor it in the UK. Choosing different sports for different markets is the key and I agree cross country skiing is probably not the best alternative in Canada even though they won the gold medal 😉 (ice hockey?)

Rune
Rune
but it’s not fair to say that SAAB nowadays is especially better than other car brands in winter conditions As I have commented a few times now already: I recently drove an Ovlov V50. That experience shocked me, because I had up to that point, assumed that Ovlov would at least come close to what I have come to expect from Saab. My old Saab 9000 from 1997 ran rings around the Ovlov. The 9000 is more stable than the V50 when the highway is partly covered with ice (the V50 kept falling down from the icy edges) and it… Read more »
SAAB_Andee
SAAB_Andee

In Austria BMW is sponsoring the austrian ski team – which is of course the best to place your car as winter car. In summer BMW is sponsoring sailing and golf.

With the winter sponsoring they really got the image of an winter car. (but most people i know buy the cheap bmws without 4wd)

Would be nice if SAAB could do some sposoring to promote xwd

74stingray
74stingray

I’d throw a snowball at ya, even if we agreed!

Ken H
Ken H

They got the money to do so, it’s wasted energy to worry about that.

Saab has to persuade the market with their own arguments, in any case.

Ken H
Ken H

Why does a car maker need a connection to sports, anyway?

I think it’s a no-brainer. A and B (Saabs main and rather sporty competition) have been associated with sports much more for the past twenty years and there’s no question it has contributed vastly to their sales success.
Saab is the perfect choice for smart and active -often outdoor- people so what better way to reach the masses? They still need to get the name out there as much as possible to build confidence in the brand and all the new or updated products.

Olav
Olav

For some reason I am not able to answer you on the post above where you link to the ‘Vi Bilägare’ article about the wintertest, therefor I do it here. SAAB 9-5 became marginally best out of the test. And I’ll let that emphasise my point related to the Winter Car issue.

I don’t this we disagree that much as a total.

Cheers from Norway
-Olav-
Always on the longest road home when out there with my SAAB. Always!

Olav
Olav

The above was addressed to RS. Sorry for messing this threat up a bit 😉

Emil
Emil
The real question begging an answer is just why the Swedish national skiing team drives Volkswagens. Every time I see one of those VW commercials where their cars zoom around on snowy roads, with shots of members of said team interspersed, I get the shivers. The bad kind. The SNSS should be ashamed of themselves for selling out, and should immediately cancel their deal with the Germans in favour of Saab (or possibly Volvo, but that would be foolish as they’d just put themselves at risk of getting stuck in the nearest snow drift). If nothing else, to give me… Read more »