Antonov Still Wants a Stake In Saab

This may be old news to many, but it’s worth having on the front page to remind everyone that one of Saab’s greatest champions is still waiting on the sidelines waiting for approval. Lars Carlstrom continues to remind the press about Vladimir Antonov’s interest in having a formal stake in Saab, and was interviewed today by SvD.

“We have received indications that GM is sympathetic to him, so we hope the government takes a serious effort and speak out with GM so that we will get away from this lengthy decision-making,” says Lars Carlstrom who SvD (and SU) thinks been highly critical of the Swedish government.

According to SvD, he is ready to transfer money the day after he’s approved. “It’s just prestige and policies that govern this nonsense in the process. Are you willing to bet 10,000 jobs in the prestige issue? If we were approved today the money would be there in the morning.”

He’s less concerned about the recent board resignations, and sees them as Tim explained, as a way for the members to legally separate themselves from the potential fall out. “Given the turmoil you’re worried about personal responsibility. It is understandable, it is not meant that people should have to undergo this ordeal,” he said, but added that a new board should be formed “within days.”

Thanks to Börjesson for the tip.

saabdog

I wonder who it is that doesn’t like Antonov. Seems a no-brainer to let the guy in.

paddan

This is insane. Mr. Antonov has been cleared of purported mob connections and has the means to help the solvency process. What is the problem other than bureaucrats who have nobody to answer to and are superlative finger waggers? GM no longer appears to be an issue. Let the man invest now.

skwdenyer

But does VA really have enough money to make much of a difference? Perhaps the fear is that he will get a share of the company, effectively block others from doing-so, and not bring sufficient money to bear in order to provide a long-term solution?

saabdog

If this were the case, couldn’t he just use all of his underworld connections to raise the cash? /sarcasm!

sala or bust
In short: Yes, he got the money. Fact from ttela.se Companies which are controlled by the Convers Group Value: at least 44 billion SEK Lace, bank (Lithuania), finest, investment bank (Lithuania), Latvijas Krajbanka, bank (Latvia), Conversbank, Bank (Ukraine), Convers Money, mortgage companies (UK) Pension Bank, Pension Fund (UK), Prince Tower, mortgage lenders ( UK), Multi-Asset, Bank (Switzerland), Banco Transatlantico, Bank (Panama), Banco Transatlantico Dominica, banking (Commonwealth of Dominica), Lietuvos Rya, newspaper and TV (Lithuania), Radio 101, radio station (Latvia), Odnako, Business Journal ( Russia), Telegraph, newspaper (Latvia), CW Capital, consulting (China), DBG Convers, mobile services (UK), Svyazstroy, telecommunications company (Russia),… Read more »
skwdenyer

So, if he liquidated a quarter of his entire assets than he could meet the apparent funding needs of Saab. What money, as opposed to illiquid assets, does he have?

I’m not knocking anybody, I just think it is important to understand what size the great white hope is!

jelger

@skwdenyer: and what is the long term solution now? non-existent. I’d say, take your pick on the best chance, it is this week or nothing at all.

skwdenyer
@jelger: the long-term solution is to have a realistic appraisal from VM as to Saab’s investment needs (development, losses, and so on), and then an understanding as to how that number will be met. 30m euro here, 20m euro there will not do very much, I’m afraid; it will simply move the problem a little further out. Assuming we get to the new 9-3, what about marketing and promotion for that model? What I’d like to see is GM accept a debt-for-equity deal, converting current and future debt for supplies of cars, components, etc. for the next, say, 12 months… Read more »
davidgmills
Better idea still. Have GM reacquire Saab. GM’s $450 million in debt will always be an albatross around any buyer’s neck. The new European ownership, with no real cash to speak of, has just not been up to the task of remaking Saab and no serious large European corporation has ever put in any kind of offer to buy Saab. Without the financial support of a very large European corporation experienced in the production of automobile products, Saab will continue to have liquidity crises and no stability. Only a large American corporation would be a legitimate substitute and that means… Read more »
Toby K

That is almost a soution-providing GM can stay out of the management. in my experience Americans think they know about stuff they don’t know about.

please my American friends don’t be offended you do some stuff better than anyone-Jet fighters/computer systems etc-all awesome but don’t try to build Saab cars-that is what I mean.

But seriously it doesn’t matter where the cash comes from and GM money is as good as any-the problem is Saabs independent thinking could be stifled again-and franky no-one wants that-not even GM.

rune
Toby K, I have read through a couple of Saab books this summer, and my impression is that the biggest problem of Saab under GM was the constant change of leaders at the top. GM Executives would typically stay for a year or two, just long enough to change Saab’s focus a bit and then someone else took over. All this while Opel was competing for GM’s affection. Personally I think the core of the problem was Opel and their inflated egos. They envied Saab and tried hard to undermine Saab’s operations. Underbidding Saab for the production of the 9-5… Read more »
Mynoob

Well if he can invest 1 billion € I’d say we’re home free 🙂

ANA

One could be forgiven in thinking that there is a conspiracy to keep VA out of any Saab deal and that the Swedish government as well as the EIB are in the thick of it….. Pressure really needs to build on all parties to explain what the roadblock is.

Nate 9-3

The “West” is afraid of Russia and China. Simple as that.

ANA

I think that is too simple a hypothesis.

rune

Worth pointing out that Sweden accepted and even encouraged a Chinese company to aqcuire Volvo. (With Ford’s blessing)

davidgmills

A year or two of ownership means nothing. Let’s see how good a move this was for Sweden and Volvo in ten years. I have talked to a lot of US Volvo owners who don’t want to buy Volvo anymore. I also bet that in ten years Swedish production of Volvo will be nil.

rune
davidgmills, I cannot peer into the future, and I was skeptical when the Volvo-deal was announced. As you know, I think Sweden should be more careful with their industry, but apparently this is not a priority for them… Japan used to have a reputation of producing low quality products, yet now many people perceive Toyota to be the best quality car money can buy. Perceptions can change fast. Moving all of the production means they’ll have to move R&D as well, effectively freezing development. That would be a silly thing to do, unless all other competitors have already done the… Read more »
KarlR

I wonder if it’s possible for the dealers to make a lawsuite against EIB if SAAB goes Bankrupcy. If EIB doesn’t have clearwater they can get in to big trouble I think!

sportwagon28t

he wouldnt make a big enough difference as Mynoob says Saab needs a billion to get back on track. The company also needs a strong leader and a different direction to the current comedy

there has to be a VERY good reason why he isnt being approved, maybe in the future we will find out im sure

Mynoob

sportwagon28t: 1B€ would be more than enough, they need less than that.

And don’t use my posts as fuel for you trolling – go troll somewhere else.

davidgmills

As I recall, GM had invested about a billion in SAAB and it wasn’t enough.

skn

For people to continue the crap line about “better leadership” and “different direction” the alternative would have been a seasoned traditional CEO who would have lost his lunch and hurled a long time ago

Remember apple?

This moment requires VM

Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth

And people like VM know how to rise to the occasion. When Saab gets its liquidity, you will watch VM morph into the type of leader for that moment as well

Remember Apple? Remember steve’s relationship with tim cook?

VM will relish making people like you eat your words a year and two and three from now

OliverH
VM is not a Steve Jobs. There’re much differences between both. Apple is not seeking or a CEO or a CFO. The board of directors has more than one man. Apple is Steves passion from the beginning. He don’t talk about the Apple DNA. He talks about amazing things 😉 I’m not one of this pray VM people. He and his team saved Saab. Maybe if VA has been excepted in the past there’s no/ less problem with the credits, maybe EIB loan doesn’t exist with the limitations. But i’m not sure if the last actions make situation more difficult… Read more »
Khrisdk

VM is hopefully not a Steve Jobs.
I am not really joining the pray VM chorus, but I still expect him to deliver as opposed to everybody else who does nothing to avoid getting into problems

JasonPowell
+1,000,000 People bash VM like crazy here and everywhere. I do and don’t understand it, I understand being upset about things he has said like “this will never happen again” and stuff like that, but if you can’t see how handcuffed he has been through this process then I don’t know what you’ve been watching. The other thing to note here is that every time a road block has been put in front of him, he has found a way around it, how many people can say they would have been able to do the same? How many people would… Read more »
SaabKen

Wow, is it 8pm already out there in Langley, Jason ?!? My clock says 12:39pm [wink]

(maybe the SU clock is off for some posts ?)

JasonPowell

Ken,
Believe me, it feels like 8pm, but I’m sure the time stamp are off for our area.

Why hasn’t VA been approved? It’s all down town to the European Idiotic Bank who seems to want to control Saab’s fate. 🙁

Tim

I guess nobody except for certain people at Saab and around VA know for what reason there’s still no approval. I think it’s about time all parties speak and tell what issues still have to be solved and what kind of planning they have in mind…

saabdog
I would just loooove to know the inside story as to why VA is not let in. To me, this is the most intriguing aspect of the entire Saab deal. And, I wonder if VM’s close relationship to VA may be part of the problems Muller has been having getting the Swedish government/EIB to do more for Saab. Someone should make a movie after all of this is resolved…VM could be played by Brad Pitt, Vladimir Antonov could be played by Russell Crow, Kristina Geers played by Jessica Beil, and Steven Wade plays himself. I’d pay to see it —… Read more »
daniel
It is normal that bank wants 120% insurance. As long as Swed Gov is co-insurance they do not mind if Saab went down or go up, they will collect (when they could get money now from Gov it is easy earning do not have to wait for Saab to return) their money one way or another. Swedish gov will spent some 50-100 mil EUR to recover region is Saab went down but this they can justify in front of Swedish population as you see we are social in our efforts. Do not try understand why borrow 20-30 mil to Saab… Read more »
sportwagon28t

MyNoob you may be suffering from memory loss – your post stated 1Bn ‘ home and dry’!!!!! lol

Khrisdk

He could have stated any number.
Neither he nor you have any information whatsoever about actual numbers or any facts.
What you have is an attitude towards and opinion about VM.
That’s about it.
Like it or not

Mynoob

Im just using simple facts from the 2010 report which stated that they ran about 200M€/year loss and used that figure and multiplied it with 3 years (which I think is what it would take to turn it around) and added the supplier debt and added some more which would be <1B€.

Obviously that number will be far less if they boost sales a lot, FAR less.

Khrisdk

I wasn’t really concerned about your numbers..They might be right or they might be wrong
It was more the fact that someone is using anything to air their personal dislikes and opinions.

CurtInFalcon

There are also a number of analysts who think 1 billion is the magic number. Tata had to invest even more to turn around Jaguar/Land Rover. But I think between Pang Da, Youngman, and Antonov that there will be enough capital to keep Saab going. Now, if only the EIB would make a decision.

sportwagon28t

we are all fans of the brand alike
I just feel its under the wrong leadership thats all
everybody should be entitled to their opinion, there are some auto forums that feel SU is too biased towards VM and VA lets prove them wrong. Work for the brand not for one person. there is no i in team!!!!

Khrisdk

The problem is that you can choose between VM + VA or noone at the moment so there’s no reason to start a discussion regarding things that could have been done differently up to this.
That discussion has been taken several times.

SAAB_Andee
@sportwagon28t you call yours fan of the brand -but without VM Saab wouldn´t be here today. No european automobile player wanted to save and take over saab. And also you have an executive team which has to do his job. NO VM is responsible for all. Don´t forget that the wind down in the USA was a master disaster for the brand in the NA market -and 2010 wasn´t an easy year -first cars went off the line in march – they had no cars in the US – europe is an order market. They had to organize the whole… Read more »
ANA

@SAAB_Andee
Are you are calling the suppliers stupid for wanting to be paid on time?
I suppose by this logic the employees are stupid too?

rune
ANA, there is an unanswered question whether the suppliers weren’t being paid on time, or if they demanded different payment terms (basically COD). The information I have indicates that they started requesting cash on delivery. Victor said a few weeks ago that it all started with one supplier, and VM chose to play hardball. Then the ball really start rolling. VM’s lack of diplomacy skills on this occasion is noted, but some questions still linger concerning certain suppliers’ ability to do what is best for everyone concerned. There is some interesting linguistic shortcomings in the stories published so far. “I… Read more »
ANA
Rune I will answer the question – they weren’t being paid on time – if they were Saab wouldn’t be in this mess. Initially VM said that the first factory halt was a ‘blip’ and insinuated that it was an isolated case triggered by a single supplier, which it clearly wasn’t. Since then it has come to light that Saab owes millions to a large number of suppliers. I am not being negative (I dearly hope that Saab can get out of this mess) however I am stating that it was not good management to get to this position and… Read more »
rune

ANA, can you document that there were suppliers not paid (in accordance to the 90-day schedule) prior to the stoppage?

The information I have seen on that is sketchy to say the least.

(after the stoppage, all bets are off — we all know what happened afterwards)

ANA

Rune
I am not pointing to any documents but what I can say is that the terms for most suppliers were 47 days (not 90) and I am 100% sure that these terms were not adhered to in many cases.

Jonas Axelsson

Let’s try it this way?

VA has not been proven innocent. He also has not found to be guilty. You do not hire someone to find you innocent and it would be a hell of world if you did.

Perhaps the problem is with Conovers Group and VA’s father? Can he divorce himself from his father and money perhaps? There may be no problem with the son at all?

ANA

What’s wrong with being ‘innocent until proven guilty’?
Also I seem to remember that there were 2 reports that found there were no skeletons in his closet.

JasonPowell

I seem to remember that too. He had done his own investigation and they had done one as well and both came out clean.

twirix

The government and EIB will have nothing to say about if Saab pays the EIB loan. Just do it if you want to be independent. Still have to get an acceptance from GM though.

Khrisdk

Back so soon?
I feel another song coming..;-)

rune

twirix, We’ve discussed this before, haven’t we?

I think you should explain exactly why EIB or the government should be worried. Why are they so concerned with the question of ownership? What does a worst case scenario look to you?

Antonov seems to be as clean as investors come. Even if that were not the case, shutting him out for the past half year has not exactly helped neither EIB nor the government in any way, now has it?

twirix

Perhaps it’s time to realize it then and stop blaming everyone else, it’s pathetic.

Khrisdk

I think You and I should go step out in the backroom,, aka The Forum section and have a nice long chat about Neo-liberalism and how to make conversation in more than random quotes and denying to answer direct questions.
Feel free to pass up on this opportunity of a lifetime, but I am actually a very nice Guy who also invites Jehovas Wittnesses in to discuss their POV.

twirix

Yes I realize this forum only want yes sayers, if any one in any way points out that Saab has it self to blame is not wanted. I guess the psychologies has a term for this.

Btw, I answered your questions below even though my critical questions usually are unanswered.

Khrisdk

Not really.
Those were Runes questions.
You should try reading the comments over the last year.
You might be surprised how many people actually have been critizising VM and the decisions made by Saab.
Now:

How’s about that roadtrip to the Forum?

Nate 9-3

Rune – you are so dedicated! I imagine that you are on your honeymoon and you are still keeping up with SU 🙂

rune

No worries Nate — honeymoon postponed until winter. 🙂

twirix

But to answer your questions. Saab/Muller knew from start the condition with the EIB loan. If it wasn’t acceptable Saab should not have taken the loan at all.

EIB also seems to think that Saab hasn’t fulfilled the condition how the loan should be used, i.e. investment in green technologies etc. That is not a good ground for requesting further steps away from the conditions, especially not when the plans of how to make Saab profitable has failed completely.

rune

Yes twirix. The world is completely static. Nothing ever changes. Everything is predictable. VM should have known the suppliers would suddenly demand COD and be prepared for this, not invest the buffer money in marketing and R&D. etc…etc…

You did not answer the question. What is EIB worried about? Why are they so hung up on the whole ownership question?

twirix

Other companies manage to deal with a dynamic world, but apparently not Saab, they fail completely all the time. So what hopes are there for such a company?

rune
twirix, Saab is a young company. Its history started in February 2010. What happened before that is not so interesting, because all the parameters have radically changed. I am not at all certain that there are many automobile manufacturers that would not seriously struggle in case all their suppliers suddenly demanded COD. Either way, I think it is important to focus on opportunities, rather than be so concerned with reasons why something might fail. Sweden has done well in the past, but lately they’ve adopted the Norwegian policy of “bugger-it-all,we’ve-got-oil”, except… Well, Sweden does not really have any oil. I… Read more »
twirix

That’s the spirit, deny all bad things. That mentality explains why Saab is such a failure.

rune

I am a bit slow these days. twirix is obviously just a troll.

Anyone see any reasons to keep him around?

KarlR

Can you please provide where EIB is saying that?

twirix

I will not google up articles from the past 6 months for you sorry.

Can you instead provide info about how the EIB loan have been used and compare that to the conditions from EIB.

Khrisdk

Your question, your job.
Unless you do your job you have no credability.
(Again)

Though it dosn’t really seem to worrry you

twirix

Sorry, it doesn’t work that way for EIB. Saab has to show they have fulfilled the conditions. EIB seems to think Saab can’t do that.

rune

twirix, it is difficult to disprove a negative.

We have been following Saab related news daily. I for one do not recall EIB having stated that Saab haven’t adhered to the terms.

And we have already seen some results/products. The 9-3 diesel with low emissions is probably a direct result of one of those EIB initiated projects.

Khrisdk

You’re not EIB.
We are not Saab

Now go find the facts for us

GerritN

Stop feeding the robotrolls…..

sr

That is silly. EIB may not lend money to companies in distress. That is the reason for the delayed payout.

“Saab måste hamna i ett bättre ekonomiskt läge innan banken betalar ut mera pengar. EIB är nämligen bundna av EU-regler som säger att de bara kan betala ut pengar till ”friska” bolag. ”

Google trans http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/stopp-for-pengar-fran-eib-till-saab_6277594.svd.

SAAB_Andee

Without taking the original business plan from the Koenigsegg deal with the EIB loan no quick deal with GM was possible. But don´t forget that the EIB had used too much time to approve the Koenigsegg deal – so they went out. Koenigsegg also knowed that for an good 2010 year the deal has to be finalized in late october. An that without the wind down from GM

johan

Bad news. According to SvD sources the EIB won´t lend Saab anymore money until the business is healthy:

SAAB_Andee
For all quickcheckers – They don´t need the loan from the EIB for liquidity because it´s locked in projects – they need the approval of a VA. If VA get´s approval he could put money in…. Of course the EIB loan would help in the R&D sector but production is more important. The other Problem is the EIB is sitting over the whole guarantees from the whole loan – You can´t lend money from a commercial bank because of that. So they have only to give green light for the sale and leaseback deal with reducing the loan amount from… Read more »
johan

The EIB loan is connected to the short term financing, though. Hemfosa (the real estate company in talks with Saab about the sale and leaseback deal) has stated that they will buy the properties- if other parties do their part too. Amongst them is the EIB, and its loan payment. That´s the catch 22.

KarlR

Always EIB where ever they turn! EIB Sucks!

SAAB_Andee
But the EIB has to pay out some part of the loan if SAAB did their part. You can correct me but i think they have to invest in R&D first and get the half money back from the EIB. So it isn´t a fair story. And the EIB takes no risk because the amount of the loan is guaranteed from sweden / and they have locked whole saab inventory as guarantee that you can´t lend money from others. so it´s the perfect catch 22 as when you want to put money in from new shareholders have also be approved… Read more »
WM

It really has become Kafka-esque in some way, hasn’t it? It’s like VM has to constanty wander through a dimly lit labyrinth in search of some mysterious approvals, and from time to time he opens a door that exits in China, or Detroit. How disorienting is that?

Chuck Norris jammies to be sure (props to Nate 9-3)!

SAAB_Andee

But the EIB money isn´t for daily production -only r&d locked in projects –

robbe

Would it be possible to for the SU crew to post a graphical representation of Saab’s current position in terms of monies owed (how much, to whom), current and possible investors, assets, liabilities, etc.? (in a consistent currency)

My mind has turned to mush from trying to keep track of all the players and figures.

Thanks.

I’m hoping Saab can pull through all this mess…

Bravada from GMI

It is really startling that Swedish Automobile NV doesn’t feature that in their website. They are a public company trading mainly in Sweden, they should be crystal-clear transparent.

BoeBoe

Read the annual and quarterly reports…

saabman

I may have missed some details, but in looking at the new Swedish Automobile corporate website I see that it still lists both Saab and Spyker Cars as its entities. What has happened with the plan to sell Spyker Cars to VA for 18 million Euros to reduce debt and focus on Saab? Wouldn’t this proposed sale provide significant needed income? Or was that sale, too, somehow prevented? Or has it already happened? And if so, why is it listed even after the site and name of the parent body has been changed?

SAAB_Andee

As there was never an official closing press release it must be still part of SWAN

saabman

So I wonder what’s up with that. Not that VM has to answer to me, but this kind of thing leads to the impression that Saab flails around and proposes lots of ideas without following through. I certainly want Saab to thrive and would help by buying a 2012 9-3 Griffin when they come out if I could afford one (but I still have too much of a loan on the 9-3 I have now, alas).

saabman

Well, maybe it doesn’t much matter. In going back and reading old articles about the proposed sale, the funds were to be paid over six years, and it reads to me that it was principally to pay down Spyker debt, so they could simply focus on Saab but not finance Saab, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-24/spyker-agrees-to-sell-sports-car-unit-to-vladimir-antonov-to-reduce-debt.html

Bravada from GMI

VA probably doesn’t have that much money to throw around.

lundin
Too sad all this. Here is hoping for a solution “as is” otherwise i hope there is yet another chance for some kind of automotive engineering in Trollhättan,that hopefully can grow into something bigger and eventually leads to a start of producing cars again. Anyway,i still think Saab should have handled the gov talk a bit different back in 2009/10.And i am sad we even allowed maud to get the chance to invent and keep here favourite quote “we can’t save a private loss making company, it is not our responsibility” that made it to the public as the one… Read more »
Bravada from GMI

I agree with you on most accounts:

1. Saab could have done more to endear the Swedish public to them, especially when Volvo was busy getting Chinese.

2. Saab needs to go out there to the people where they are. Get unconventional and GET OUT THERE. Saab’s best advertising are the cars themselves. Let people drive them!