Technical break

Sorry guys, but the discussion, as I follow it, is not any more about Saab.

I don’t know who are the good guys and who the bad ones, but it is too much running in circles for my taste.

For the ones that also need a break, here is some interesting film from the Swedish film archive.

Bilturist i Storbritannien (1959)

It is about Swedish tourists making a car trip to the UK in 1959. In the late ’50s cars had too be small and light, and if you don’t believe me, watch the film till the end.

m!ko

finally, some fresh air πŸ™‚

Ralph

What also helps is switching off the computer and opening the nearest window πŸ˜‰

till72

That computer really has an off-switch…? πŸ˜‰

m!ko

40 minutes at work left, and I’m switching computer off πŸ˜€

m!ko

the windows in my office are unable to open, so I suffer with aircon :/

till72

Can’t wait for a time when it’s about cars again…

bpsorrel

Amen to that!!! πŸ™‚

Tripod

Great find; had missed that one.

golfhunter

So we invite you to continue the discussion on Saablog-In πŸ™‚ . It seems that the wind has changed of direction about Vladimir Antonov

till72

Now that sounds interesting… πŸ™‚

Tomas TL1000R

ryanonsrc
Wow, talk about a turn around that we could be experiencing here! Saab starts from shutting down their plants and being unable to pay employees to getting money from a real estate deal *and* multiple Chinese investors *and* (hopefully) Vladimir Antonov. Everything thing I’ve read has stated that Saab would by extremely lucky if only *one* of these scenarios played out … yet, it looks like we’ll be getting all three. All the other automakers that have failed on my watch *never* had this kind of interest, and there are a lot of them: Hummer, Mercury, Pontiac are three that… Read more »
goofy
Mercury, and Pontiac were not automakers, but brand names. Saab is a real, tangible entity with people and assets behind it. Saab has engineers, there hasn’t been a Pontiac engineer for 20 years. Besides wonderful products, Saab has something authentic and viable to fight for, Mercury was a registered trademark affixed to dressed-up Fords. Ford (Mercury) and GM (Pontiac) had no tangible assets to sell other than brand names and logos. I wouldn’t be surpised to see Ford and GM revive those names in the future. Easy come, easy go – NOT the case with Saab.
ryanonsrc

True. I suppose I was comparing “apples and oranges”.

This would of course be a big reason why Saab is going to continue hanging on. But, as all of us here understand: the reasons for Saab’s survival go well behind that.

spacy

Simple really………………..They were not SAAB…nut Said.!!

Make it so!

SaabClubAlaska

I just read this brief article on Antonov’s supposed aspirations to “move production to Latvia.” Huh? Is there any truth to this news?

spacy
PhilCH

As far as I understand it was always in discussion to produce cars in Russia for the Russian market (about 20’000 entities per year), this story is new and my personal opinion, it is far away from reality, VA is very familiar with Saab and its history and he knows that if he moves production away from Sweden he puts the brands reputation at risk and with that his investment and his own future…

sala or bust
Just sent an official request to the government asking them to enlightening me of how the prime minister can tell the press that “we gave NDO the mission to investigate mr. Antonov, and it is better if NDO do this investigation than the government” and at the same time, the NDO actually did accept mr. Antonov 2 months ago! I’ve also requested all corresponding between the NDO and the government regarding Saab Automobile AB from 2011-01-01. I’ve never ever considered voting red…I just don’t believe in them, but during the latest government reaction regarding SAAB, I think the government are… Read more »
spacy

Well, what a simply fabulous Film.

This was my boyhood time & it’s funny, but, being a spotter then (of all thing Mechanical) of Car & Trains etc, looking back to be able to identify the vehicles.

A great simpler time………………………………

PS: Love the kettle @ the begining of the film!!…

saabyurk

What a great video fond! From 1959 I was expecting small, fuzzy and faded colors. Instead it’s large, HD sharp, and great colors. Beautiful Saab 93 – want!

Peter Gilbert
This is such a great trip down memory lane for me because I did a similar trip in reverse to Sweden in 1968. I took my left-hand drive 1966 96 over to GΓΆteborg from Hull, UK. The North Sea was so rough that there were only 6 Swedes on-deck and I was about the only Brit! The 1959 Swedes would have been so at home in Britain because Sweden drove on the left side of the road back then. !n 1968 I drove for the first time on the right as Sweden had only just switched over 6 months prior… Read more »
saabyurk

“have film footage of the white 99.” … Any chance you’ll get it digitized? Would be great to see.

Romac

That was one lovely film! (too bad I should have been working!)

spacy

I was watching you…..you’re sacked, Ha

sportwagon28t

great film, thanks for sharing it.

Swedish Grace

I have a small article (in swedish) about old Saabs on my website;

Welcome! πŸ™‚

Chicago Swede

Boy……do I wish it was 1959 again! What an absolute treasure and proof of a happier and much simpler time! The video of the entire excursion abroad in the most beautiful and charming SAAB is just too much! How simply wonderful the world was back then! Where is that Dr. What’s-his-name again’s TARDIS when I need it?????

ANA

A great film, thanks for the welcome diversion.

Amazing how the SAAB was aerodynamic compared to most other cars on the road.

900 classic cab

Speaking about technical, it was good to see that the SaabsUnited Forum has already posts in it, I had responses πŸ™‚ Thanks.

rune

That airlift at the end was amazing. I had absolutely no idea anything like that existed. Sure, I know there were airplanes big enough, I just did not realize someone had used them in this fashion at the time. (outside the military that is)

What a grim contrast to a certain Irish airline of today… πŸ˜€ Imagine showing up with a car at the check-in counter today…!

spacy
Snatch

Is there any posibility to download that film?

Niklas G

I haven’t tried yet with this video, but unless they have some special protection to prevent it, there are different software for downloading streamed video like this one. (The one I have is called Replay Media Catcher, not perfect but it works. With some googling you probably can find others too.)

Anders_Sweden

I think that the summer of 1959 was very hot. Sweden and Scotland looks like Spain.

What is the background of this film? Why is it in English?

spacy

At th end of the film, I like the 3 cars that are loaded on the plane.

1. Jaguar Mark10