Where to Turn Next

Remember this Press Statement from a month ago?

SPYKER ISSUES SUBCRIPTION NOTICE UNDER GEM FACLITY

Zeewolde, The Netherlands, 16 May 2011 – Spyker Cars N.V. (Spyker) announces today that it issued a subscription notice for 1 million shares under the current EUR 150 million equity facility between Spyker and GEM Global Yield Fund Limited. The exact number of shares to be issued and the price thereof will depend on a 15 day pricing period, which commences today.

You read that right, Saab has a credit card essentially for up to EUR 150 million when times get really tough. They initiated the agreement as backup financing when they purchased the company from GM, and after this latest share issue if my math is correct they still have most of it left.  It’s expensive debt, it involves issuing shares with a 15 day pricing period, but it’s cash nonetheless to at least stop the bleeding. I wish Saab had tapped into this or something similar sooner to prevent today’s situation, but it seems that only a few legal documents are the culprit holding up the property sale deal, and they misjudged the timing on it’s finalization. From all indications, it appears to be a big mistake at legal on this one.

According to TTela, Victor Muller is in the US right now looking for immediate liquidity injections. GEM is based out of New York. Something tells me it might not even be the GEM funds that Victor ends up finding the best deal with this time around, but for all of you out there who suggest Saab is out of lifelines, I’d ask you to remember this major one.

Quijote

Clutch.

I agree with you Jeff, shame this wasn’t used to prevent the latest blow, but hindsight is 20/20…

Unfortunately, the paycheck drought is absolutely all over the media sites right now… Insideline, Jalopnik, Bloomberg, you name it.

900SE

I just hope they fix the problems already. I’m starting to have stress related issues 🙂

Frank Wulfers

Victor better hurries… SWAN share price crashed 55% today. It has always been a volatile stock but this is pretty extreme.

Carlo A

now it sits at 1 euro

Peter, Sweden

Now is the time to buy then, right? 🙂

Carlo A

if you are brave, yes 🙂

Audun

Perhaps VA is buying? 😉

Carlo A

today around 12% of the company changed hands… big chunk

GerritN

Looks like someone is dumping a lot of shares….and someone is picking them up cheaply.

Audun

Interesting! 🙂

Börjesson

Maybe Muller is over there to cook something up with CJ… 😉

Carlo A

the cowboy?

BoeBoe
GEM = Not an option (at the moment) At the moment Saab needs at least 30 (or more) million euro. At the moment the share price = <1 euro GEM gets a discount on that price so they pay <0,90 For 30 million euro GEM would get 33 million shares (or more) and that would make them (by far) the largest shareholder. At the moment there a 18 million outstanding shares after an issue to GEM that would be 51 million shares. And it would give GEM a 64% share in SWAN that is not an option. The deal with… Read more »
Jake

So nice to hear your troll impression again, BoeBoe.

BoeBoe

I just explain how the GEM facility (and stock market) works. You guys clearly don’t.

Jake

If it stops Saab from bleeding out, then it’s good news, BoeBoe.

WM

You must be quite happy at this turn of events, BoeBoe.

BoeBoe

Sorry, only try to explain it…

it is nice to dream, but it is much nicer if you base it on facts.

gryphon95

What’s up with slamming BoeBoe here? I think the post was informative. Actually, it was clear explanation of why GEM is not going to be the lifeline that saves SAAB this time. We should pin our hopes on something else.

Red J

Jake,
this time Boe was neutral and very informative.

Keep calm.

ANA

Agree!

Tim

Robbie, please read the original press release again. It states that the exact prices will be based on a 15 day pricing period which start May 16th. So the stake GEM would get is far less than 50%.

BoeBoe

And do you think GEM will be happy to buy shares at this moment and lend SWAN some money? Guess not.

Also the price of the price they pay per share will be determined in the future (not the past) and at the moment it doesn’t look good.

Even if they pay 3 euro per share (which is a lot) they will get 10 million shares and will hold an interes in SWAN of 35%. Guess they don’t want that.

Tim

Who knows about their intentions, I don’t but it seems you do 😉
Anyway, they’ve got the possibility to issue shares at a price based on a 15 day average (may 16th – may 31st) but having an 30% -or more- stake would mean they will have to make a bid for the entire company and I don’t think they will do that. Let’s wait and see, that’s all we can do…

BoeBoe

Not a 15 day, but a 15 working day period so that is three weeks.

Tim

@ BoeBoe: The press statement says 15 days, not business days. So we both could be wrong.

BoeBoe
I am not wrong! i know my facts 😉 As back-up financing, Spyker entered into a EUR 150 million Equity Credit Line Facility with GEM Global Yield Fund Limited (“GEM”) for a term of 3 years. According to this facility, Spyker may issue shares to GEM at 90 per cent of the volume weighted average price of the shares over a period of 15 trading days following a draw down notice sent to GEM by Spyker. Source: Press release Spyker Cars Your source says only “15 day pricing period”, it does not say: a period of 15 consecutive days. And… Read more »
Carlo A

GEM may not be able to object if it is a call option

sr

Also, anyone wanting to own more than 10% of SWAT will have to be approved by the EIB.

Remember the Gemini cash injection? It had to be structured as a loan with an option to be converted to shares after 6 months, so that Gemini had time to post a request for approval and time enough for EIB to approve it.

The low overall value of the total stock makes it very hard to draw money from the GEM fund. The 4 million euro they got on may 16 was probably the maximum at the time without hitting the 10% limit.

BoeBoe

They first used it to purchase the company from GM

That’s not true. They intended to do this, but they didn’t! They got this money from Heerema.

Spyker paid for Saab in the following way:
USD 25 million is borrowed from Tenaci
USD 25 million convertible loan agreement with Heerema Holding Company Inc.
USD 24 million a loan from Saab Great Britain Limited

No money from GEM was used to buy Saab.

BoeBoe

@Jeff, please use this information in your article.

It is wrong to think that Spyker issued shares to GEM for the purchase of Saab!

They first used it to purchase the company from GM

= Not true!

Börjesson
Here’s a nice story for a change: Leif Pagrotsky, a very public and quite popular Swedish politician, a former minister (among other posts, he once held Maud Olofsson’s job as Minister of Industry) and the economic brains of the opposition (though he declined the job as shadow finance minister), has just bought himself a new 9-3. His reasoning: “That was the car I liked, a diesel with good [emission] values and a bit smaller than the Volvo V70 I’ve had since 1999. It was good value for money, seems good and fuel-efficient. I thought that if everybody who is worried… Read more »
spacy

re; USD 24 million a loan from Saab Great Britain Limited

Maybe, just maybe us Brits could do it all & float the Co, so shares could be offered to Saaies worldwide.

Saab GB, has always been the powerhouse of Saab sales, so you guys over there (@ Saab GB) put some thinking caps on.

My Money is still on the table………………

MrTinkertrain

According to his biography, I think Mr. Muller thinks that he is supermen. He was a lawyer, then CEO in Spyker, then designer (!) in Spyker…is he a polihistor?

Skipper

Maybe Victor should ask all the Saab dealers and owners to contibute whatever they can afford to some sort of Save Saab Fund! I guess most people who love Saab would contribute something. I wouldn’t have a clue as to how much something like that could bring in, but it could make the disgusting and shameful Swedish Govt realise what Saab means to a lot of people, not least the people who work for Saab!

jelger

A lot of dealers already contribute with puring their own capital in their loss making dealerships. After suppliers and unions, the next revolting factor are these dealers. Expecting them to put money in a ship that is constructed wrongly (that enhances corrupted influence/deal-breaking) is asking the impossible.

MrTinkertrain

Never. Sorry but it is a waste of money. It would be enough for 10 seconds I’m afraid…

Börjesson

Swedish Radio has a long (six minutes) and very interesting interview with car industry analyst Matts Carlsson about Saab’s situation. He gives a far more balanced view than other commenters I’ve read or heard today. Carlsson believes that Saab’s future in the longer term looks quite good, provided they can get over this short-term hurdle.

The interview is in Swedish of course, and as far as I know, google haven’t come up with an automatic audio translator yet, so I guess this tip is only useful for some of you…

Tim

I have to agree but they first have to get their short term financing issues solved. After that the Pang Da/Youngman deal needs to be approved and they will need to restore trust. That will take a lot of time, money and effort…

kanundrum
From Swade him self: My response, however – no chance. No chance at all. There’s no covering over the darkness of the hour, but I keep telling people what a colleague told me last year: when you’ve got new, great product, there’s always a reason to keep on going. Right now, we’re in a very difficult position. But we’ve got heaps of great product on the verge of release and even better technology being worked on out in the back rooms. For me, there’s absolutely no chance of giving up on this company. I can’t wait to get back to… Read more »
Jason Petho

When Victor throws in the towel, I’ll throw in the towel.

Until then – “Keep Calm, Carry On”.

kanundrum

Ditto.

kanundrum

Saw 2011 Saab 9-5 Biopower here in Washington DC was looking great!

KarlR

I think everything will turn out fine!

katar1na

I just LOVE your comment, man =)

It´s comments like that we need in hard times!

Actually – I´m praying to God that SAAB and the employees will be saved ffrom this unfair treatment – and that SAAB will show the world that little David still can win a fight against Goliath!

I´m qiuet bored to hear these no-sayers and black birds screaming that SAAB is dead. In up-coming commercials SAAB just got to have a CAT with 9 lives as a symbol! I believe that the end is NOT near!

Dippen

Saab spare parts,the most profitable companty within Saab:

Jonas Axelsson

Was it not in the press that Vladimir gave Victor the money to buy Saab? I think it is also that Gemini is owned by his fathers banks. It seems like all paths come back to Vladimir in this. Banking is complex but I doubt he stands to make a loss and that is what the smart and wealthy do isn’t it?

OliverH
When i reread this press release: http://newsroom.saab.com/news/news/saabautomobiletemporarilysuspendsproductionpendingmorestableinflowofcomponents.5.741c75ab12da7f448807ffe2505.html i feel angry on how the Saab management deals with the brand of Saab, suppliers, customers, fans and their employers. The “mission hope” seems to be at that time in place. Maybe they hoped to fix a deal to get a very short time money injection to ramp up production. Playing a risky game. Does they burn more money than before or is this a subjective feeling (not objective). My personnel feeling: They need more money to get a restart and a clear balance (remember the deal on in front paid cars for… Read more »
GerritN

It’s time to call back the Keep Calm and Carry On Girl that saved Saab in 2010!

Keep Calm and Carry on

Audun

True 🙂

KarlR

Tripod

Thank you; though I don’t know if I’m calmer … 😀

JasonPowell

wow, I am lol

michaelb
A massive injection of liquidity is required short-term to pay salaries and supplier bills, and even more massive further capital is required to stabilize the company and allow to execute a reasonable long-term business plan. Finally, a new management has to come, as the current ownership is discredited. With what happened this week, the two Chinese companies will probably not exercise their options at the prize agreed in the MoU, and that means either less money to come, or the existing shares will become completely worthless. However I do not agree, that it is in the interest of the two… Read more »
OliverH

Jake

Audi went through the same situation in the ’80s and early 90s. Look where they are now! Saab can do it. Even if it’s just to prove the naysayers wrong, let’s win this thing, Saab!

OliverH

Really? That company which introduced the TDI? Never heard before.

Curvin ORielly

Jake…
Don’t forget that Audi had the backing of VW, a well-heeled parent company. Saab is out there in the cold, cruel world all by itself. Can it win? Only time will tell. Let’s hope so.

OliverH

That’s what I thought about.

Jake

Saab has VM. 😀

Coke is it

I just saw the local SVT news for western sweden, they said that VM is in the US and are talking to GM. Not sure if that is true or if they did mix up GM with GEM?

Dippen

wash thinking the same thing, would guess it is GEM.

Börjesson

He is talking with General Motors (among others), according to Eric Geers.

Coke is it

I wouldn’t mind having GM back. They were on the right track with the new 9-5 and 9-4X where they let Saab be more Saab.

michaelb

It is reasonable to talk to GM. If Saab is gone, Opel will be in deeper difficulties as they loose a potentially big client. But surely it is about IP fears as well.

A valid point indeed, michaelb! 🙂

katar1na

This is madness, nothing but total madness.

A loved brand.
A high quality product.
A world wide well known and respected brand.

And a filthy wealthy nice guy named Antonov who knows a good car when he sees one.

What´s the problem?!

jelger

spacy

I keep saying this……I have £100 now, today (sure there is 1000’s Saabers like me)..

Just tell me where to pay it into…………………………& more to follow if it works!!

OliverH

I’ll follow – with different management or CEO. Saab shouldn’t go down.

kanundrum

Same. Let me know Ill paypal it right over.

veljkopopovic

as someone posted before, try to find a way to handle public donations …. 30 mil is quite big money amount, but a million people with 10 euros will make it 20 mill …. I am up for that ….

OliverH

Can we paint a picture of the situation?

Rumors said that outstanding debt could be 5x-6x Mil Euro.
Than we have salaries of around 10 Mil (SEK?) per month

Incomming:
5-6 Mil Euro from Saab Parts division every month up to now. They must react asap
Prototyping/ dev for GM/ Opel ?

Is it possible to get a fly by calculation?

Börjesson

The real estate deal is completed “in essence”, according to TTELA sources. Only formal stuff remains, which could be handled over the weekend, and Saab could get the money early next week.

Bengt in Scania

Nice!

ryanonsrc

That’s good news.

So, will this allow them send out those paychecks and resume production?

Börjesson

If this comes true, then pay checks certainly. Production probably also requires that the suppliers agree to the now famous 10 percent deal, or an approximation thereof.

GerritN

The Keep Calm and Carry on Girl is helping already!

Ralph

The Keep Calm and Carry on Girl is helping already!

I thought that meant that the bra-only version was next.

GerritN

Tsk, tsk! There are minors on this blog.
And the Girl only helps when she keeps her Keep Calm and Carry On hoodie on!

jouni72
I just came to online and didn´t look previous comments carefully but I would have an idea. How many Saab-dealers there is around the world excluding pang-da? If every dealer would order ONE extra Saab NOW and would pay it immediately in advance as Pang-da? I think dealers have that much “loose” money to support their “mother company”. What is the risk there? They could get cars and they could be sold as usual. Or those prepaid cars would be something specific same way as independence edition Saabs, for example these being “employee edition” each car would have kind of… Read more »
CurtInFalcon

The problem with the dealer ordering one extra car is that US dealers have far too many cars already sitting on the lot waiting to be sold. Many dealers are losing money and can’t afford to order more cars. Plus, with the production shutdown, the dealer would not be guaranteeed that the car would be built.

Bengt in Scania
Börjesson

You read my posting of this, even commented on it, and then you went ahead and pasted the same link anyway? 🙂

Tripod

Saw that, Börjesson, equally confused here. 🙂
(And then I had already read somewhere about the possible talk with GM and other.)

indigoproj

I think SAAB is done.

Bye bye.

Red J

And I think outside is raining !!

GerritN

Hm, it’s actually pouring here, but the skies are clearing already.

Red J

Really ?!?!?!
😉

saabdog

GerritN, that has to be a metaphor for something…bet its something good for Saab!

Chicago Swede

I truly hope Sweden as a country remembers that after this is all said and done, that they stood by and watched an ICON of their own culture break off and crumble into the sea. Later on I can tell my family about a car company that produced the most intelligent cars on earth once upon a time……….makes me sick to the very core of my being and ashamed to be a Swedish American.

Börjesson

Feel free to bash Swedish politicians and Swedish media all you want, but kindly refrain from bashing Sweden as a country. Generally speaking, it’s quite nice here!

Bazzer
I agree, Sweden is a lovely country, only been once in 1993, great place nice people and fantastic Saab. However the Swedish government would seem to be misguided, you cannot survive on service industry. You must manufacture to create wealth and pay high taxes! If SAAB does not build the car, the truck driver is not needed to transport it to the garage, for the saleaman to sell, for the financier to finance, for the insurer to insure, for the mechanic to fix, for the girl in the fuel station to take your payment – the list goes on!! This… Read more »
spacy

AGREE, and if the Swedish Goverment does not understand this……………….take a good look @ the UK

Chicago Swede

Apparently it is a quite a nice country for most people, except SAAB.

rcase13

I can’t help but think that Jan Åke Jonsson saw all this coming.

One thing for sure, VM isnt giving up without a fight. I do, however, think JAJ’s resignation timing was rather ominous.

Dippen

GEM or GM? ,According to Swedish Radio, VM is going to meet GM?

Jonas Axelsson

Do you think Jan Ake saw some things were not quite by the book and I also note that the new CFO took hasty leave.

A Chief Financial Officer must have had a reason, what ever happened to him?

spacy

I just google earth’ed Saab’s Trollhatton Sweden.

The factory is surely, a great big complex…..