IAA short notice

To be here and checking the offerings from the other brands and knowing that Saab is not here makes me a little bit sad.

OK, I’m still missing Merc and VW, the Koreans, Fiat and JLR but nothing has impressed me at the moment, but maybe is it only because the brands have last week already announced everything they will be showing. 🙁

The most time till now I’ve been at the Volvo booth. I must admit that the You concept is not bad at all, but I don’t know how many will accept such a bulky front.

Another car that I like, although it sounds strange, is the Cadillac Ciel. Yes it is a Cadillac, but it feels like a back to the roots, trying to be once again the Brand that best represents the ultimate American luxury.

And If you wanted to know what has happened to the Saab booth, this is how it looks like.

Audun

That Volvo looks ugly!
So does the Cadillac.

Tim
5 years 16 days ago

I agree on the Volvo. Don’t like the Cadillac either but it does look better compared to the Volvo 😉

Motoradd's Cat

I agree with Audun.

BBC West Midlands is claiming that JLR are the stars of the show with three new concept cars. Have to say that the two seat jag does look good and has shed the old mans image.

Motoradd's Cat
ANA
5 years 16 days ago

Bearing in mind that JLR is based in the W.Midlands what do you expect BBC West Midlands to say?

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Exactly what they claim, despite allegedly being unbiased.

I’m not JLR’s greatest fan, I’ve been on their plants in the past and I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole, but I have to admit the C-X-16 is quite good looking (but I still would not have one even if I was given it for free).

Jarkko
5 years 16 days ago

I think Tata would have been a good home for Saab. I mean Jaguar, just below them the Saab etc. Same platform for the new “3-series” Jag and Saab 9-3. Even the marketing side would fit both marques nicely. Just a thought ….

Pedro

A RWD/AWD SAAB 9-3? Hmmm… How would SAAB fans react to that? 😉

Khrisdk
5 years 16 days ago

hmm.. Some people claim that the PhoeniX was ugly with a Cyclops attitude..
In that case I would say that these are Batmobiles..especially the Caddy.
Do they have any interesting tech below the skin or are they just strange shapes in the landscape?

GerritN
5 years 16 days ago

The Caddy is just a huge brick with wheels and friggin big gas-guzzling engine to overcome the inertia. So yes, in a way it is back to the American roots. Why use a fly swatter if you can use a sledge hammer?

Pedro
5 years 16 days ago

AFAIK, a “spiritual predecessor” to the Ciel’s engine (the Ciel uses a DI 3.6L twin turbo V6 while this was a 2.8L twin turbo V6), was installed in a certain SAAB 9-3 test vehicle that was once photographed in the Trollhättan plan parking lot. The purpose: smaller engine with lower fuel consumption and emissions, but with V8-power, or putting it another way, GM emulating the original SAAB turbocharging idea. Good to know bits of good SAAB-ideas such as engine downsizing are alive and well throughout the auto industry 🙂

Khrisdk
5 years 16 days ago

Well..I dumped my US steel Sledgehammer in the early eighties after meeting something with an Air hammer.

M.A.
5 years 16 days ago

The Volvo’s hood reminds me of the PV444/544.

Tim
5 years 16 days ago

It reminded me of the Chrysler PT Cruiser…

USAaber

You beat me to it… 🙂

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Squashed at the front by a truck.

Audun
5 years 16 days ago

They could make a modern PV/Duett…

Marque
5 years 16 days ago

I guess the hood definitely stems from the V444. However, to be a bit more acrimonious, it is definitely a ripoff from the PhoeniX. 🙂

USAaber
5 years 16 days ago

Looks like Volvo is getting on the retro-wagon, at least the front has lines of the old PV544 series cars. Would be interesting to see if the rear is like the old “hunchback”.

Troels, Denmark
5 years 16 days ago

When I see those cars I understand even more how much you must miss Saab at the show…. 😉
What about Alfa Romeo ? (the only other company that still has an integrity in the Saab-level, imo )

Jeff
5 years 16 days ago

I like the Jags the most this year, have to say.

nordican
5 years 16 days ago

That Cadillac looks like it came from an old Science Fiction movie; I kinda like that daring styling. Put in a jet(sons) engine and I’ll buy it… 😉

Patrik B
5 years 16 days ago

That Cadillac have attitude and I like it! (Probably the first Cadillac ever I have liked…)

Jonas Axelsson
5 years 16 days ago

Caddy was long a leader in the old days when it came to Carlsson like driving. The original Pan America race across Mexico over the dirt being chased by the Lincolns, those cars had a performance heritage. Later, they got soft and slow.

Thylmuc
5 years 16 days ago

Thx for posting pictures. In an interview with a car designer in German magazine “Die Zeit”, he very much criticized the present design languages as backward and intended to apeal to cultures that like to glue bling (Svarovsky glass) to their car bodies. I think he is right. Car design is no longer about solutions, but about image.

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Retro cars are line fillers.

Grumpy
5 years 16 days ago

Darn it I hit F5 before sending my comment.

Just wanted to add that as far as I know the Ciel was built for the 2009 GM Centennial so it is a bit old, although oddly cool. Probably the first time it is shown on this side of the pond.

Jeff
5 years 16 days ago

Nope. It’s brand new, this year. Actually it was primarily designed by women I’ve heard too.

Grumpy

I stand corrected, thanks Jeff, I must have read a Memo 🙂

GerritN
5 years 16 days ago

Ah, that explains it. Woman like em big!

Angel-off
5 years 16 days ago

I’m risking to be killed, hanged and then stubbed, but I actually like to Volvo, the Cadillac is dead ugly though. Here is a video of You concept:
Volvo Concept You – Launch film

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Interesting things happen at international motor shows, particularly how the car makers view their future market share and direction.

It would appear that GM wish to move their Opel brand up-market. Not as far though to compete with BMW etc but just above were it currently is.

Isn’t that what GM were doing with Saab?

Grumpy
5 years 16 days ago

Well what else can they do, they have nothing worth mentioning in the upper segments after dumping Saab. Opel had ambitions in the past especially with the Omega. Cadillac a a non-starter in Europe and maybe a few more decades of trying will convice GM to give up.

GM needs something above the Insignia, it is not there yet but it is not from a lack of trying , on Opel’s part.

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Um, they should have kept Saab and spent some time developing it instead of milking it.

20:20 hindsight

GerritN

Yes, nail on the head.

monte03
5 years 16 days ago

The German Saab blog just confirmed that the NDRC gave its ok on the provincial level. So now its only up to the headquarter to give the final approval.

This is good news !!

Ralph
5 years 16 days ago

Good news indeed, could you give a link?

Ralph
5 years 16 days ago

Ah, it’s already been picked up and turned into a news item here 🙂

JoppeVR
Angel-off

+1, love from first sight 😉

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Makes the Jaguar C-X-16 look very ver dull.

sportwagon28t

ummm ok???
Have you actually seen a pic of the Jag CX16? its a stunner and by all accounts is a show-stopper at Frankfurt too!!
VM had better get his skates on when the mess is cleared up because compared to many efforts at Frankfurt its already looking outdated- well it looks like a rounded off Spyker to me????

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Yes it’s been on the local TV news show tonight (all round views and interviews with JLR top brass). I live in the West Midlands (about 12 miles away from Birmingham).

I’d still prefer the Phoenix, I just love the sculpted bonnet, it looks like a bird of prey zeroing in on its target. I reckon any car in front of it would move over pronto.

TurboLover

Regarding the Volvo;
It is possible today to fully help newborn babies with cleft upper lip. However, I do not know if they can help a car with inverted cleft lower lip…

Khrisdk
5 years 16 days ago

Hmm.. just had a closer look at the abandoned Saab stand..
Me thinx me sees the backend of a Chevy BelAir ’57 CV..Hmm..
They could have placed worse cars there

Pedro

’57 BelAir = *drool*

beren
5 years 16 days ago

I agree that it is sad to be looking at cars with my finger poised over the “sell” button with the most likely choice some kind of Audi. Please hurry up the funding! No desire to go to another brand, but my car is my way to work and there’s no “hey boss sorry my strange swede car is broke and I can’t get parts” excuses that will pass the test at work.