Plan X, Y and Z

Somebody asked me to make a list of alternative cars to Saab.

I’m sorry but after having seen all cars on the motor show, and having seated in almost everyone, only one car made me feel similarly as a Saab.

You will find out after the jump.

This is the reason Saab can’t die. I will never be able to buy that car, I mean buying a house is less expensive, but I think any of us would love to be able to buy a car that is more than a way to get from A to B. Yes I’m passionate about Saab, and this makes me feel that a less perfect Saab is at least as good as the best of the cars, but at least I feel something for the car.

I get the impression that the Smartphone generation doesn’t feel anything any more about cars, they are either a way to get from A to B or a badge to show off, this is a little bit sad in my eyes because people building those cars are passionate, in most cases, about that, and a car costs too much to not be able to feel emotional about it.

Anyway, I know Saab will survive and I will still be able to buy a new car.

ValS
5 years 16 days ago

”I will never be able to buy that car”…
sounds pessimistic, RedJ
I think we should always try to do our best ๐Ÿ™‚

Totally agree with you, that SAAB is more than just a car to get from point A to point B.

DUTCH900C
5 years 16 days ago

SAAB that feels like a Rolls Royce.
But why not like a good old, it’s a shame that English brand died, Bristol? Or perhaps: Aston Martin? And when talking about older cars that doesn’t exist anymore: Facel Vega? In my opinion that als are great cars, but i’ve got the same problem as RED J, i can’t pay them and when i could pay them, then i don’t have the money to restore and/or maintanance them and yes, i’m very happy with our/my SAAB(‘s).

Romac
5 years 16 days ago

Like Saab, the report of Bristol’s death is an exaggeration! They were taken over by a division of Fraser-Nash. CCP/VA tried but just missed out apparently.

Sensonic
5 years 16 days ago

My “wishlist” would be either SAAB or PORSCHE. But have to stick with Skoda SuperB at least 4 four years because the new company car had to be ordered and SAAB was dropped off the company car list when there was a fear of wind-down in 2009. Bummer ๐Ÿ™ And the delivery time of that Skoda has already been delayed by two weeks… Gonna have it in the end of September.

Luckily I still have my old’n’trusty NG900 Turbo.

katar1na
5 years 16 days ago

We are all of the same Spirit here on SU – obviously! =)

Ok, I would not say “No, thanks” to a car like that… but if I have a free choice…

SAAB <3 FOREVER

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

If the worst happens the answer is simple.

Your old Saab is you new Saab

(spend some money on it and keep it mint)

Audun
5 years 16 days ago

I promise to do that if the worst happens. It has already, this year, got a new turbo and some other parts and a big service (more than 150k plan says + new oil on the aut transmision. All at my Saab dealer.
If Saab goes down , I’ll still own a Saab for the rest of my life; my current 2002 9-3 SE or a 9-3 SportCombi 2008-2011 . ๐Ÿ™‚

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

One of the few positives about the former GM ownership is that there are planty of parts (original and aftermarket).

Saab Parts will be in business so long as there are customers needing parts.

Audun
5 years 16 days ago

Yes. But what I’d really hope to do one day is to buy the next 9-3 with the small petrol engine from BMW (tuned by Saab) and the eAAM rear axle. ๐Ÿ™‚

WM
5 years 16 days ago

Is this true? I already cannot get parts for my ’07. I doubt I’m the only one. After a bankruptcy the suppliers will be back to making parts? I’d like to think so. This is the number one reason I wouldn’t buy a fire-sale SAAB in the worst case scenario (which is not going to happen).

Audun
5 years 16 days ago

It looks like it is more problems to get parts for new (eg. 2007-2011) cars than for old (eg. 2002) cars.
Maybe the suppliers use this to force Saab or the whole situation?

JH
5 years 16 days ago

My understanding is that many suppliers have paused their production of Saab parts and only makes a small production run for spare parts each month or so (as I believe they do with old models), and when Saab restarts production there will be a higher availability on spare parts for the newer cars.

liftarn
5 years 16 days ago

Indeed. There will be a good supply of used Saabs for at least two decades.

Kimberly
5 years 16 days ago
If you want luxury with sporty but not stellar performance (like Saab) consider Lexus. If you want some luxury and decent performance, or stellar performance if you want to spend a few more $$$, consider Audi. If you want a luxury sportscar and keep the price tag within a few thousand of a Saab Aero but want sportscar performance and much better interior material quality (but deal with an infotainment interface more quirky than Saab’s SID) consider BMW. I love Saab for its ergonomics and wraparound cockpit, but the interior materials and performance are lacking compared to Saab’s claimed &… Read more »
Alex740
5 years 16 days ago

A Lexus as an alternative to a Saab?! I always thought one of the big draws of Saab to it’s customers was that it was different, Lexus in my mind is the exact opposite of that. They are very reliable but the you can’t get much more vanilla in the luxury arena than a Lexus.

Troels, Denmark
5 years 16 days ago
Exactly! And not only different for being different – but to make it better and more as part of a holistic philosophy. My 9-3 is to repair at the moment and the workshop borrowed me a brand new Skoda – which is absolutely not among the worst cars – but, I have to admit, that as soon as I drive (or are passenger in) another car I miss all the small well thought through details in Saab: From the lack of (unnecessary, disturbing and sun-catching) chrome around the speedometer, to the easy-read graphics and the natural placing of all functions.… Read more »
JH
5 years 16 days ago

I think this is the most impressive demo for the eXWD system:

The difference between FWD and eXWD is truly amazing! ๐Ÿ˜€

Audun

+1 ๐Ÿ™‚

kanundrum
5 years 16 days ago

My 08 TurboX still looks like Day 1 I got it!

If anything were to ever happen to it I’d just starting using public transportation ๐Ÿ™

CoolCombi
5 years 16 days ago

I have a video tape of Bob Sinclair taken at the 1988 North American Saab Owners Convention. He states that if all you need is transportation to get from Point A to Point B, a Saab is more of a car than you would need. He always talked about the “soul” of a Saab and the passion for life that Saab owners had. Saab owners are different. Someone called me (because I drive a Saab) as “quirky”. I told that person that I would take that as a compliment! Griffin up!

ng
5 years 16 days ago

Totally agree with Red. I feel my SAAB as a part of my body and soul. What am I going to do if SAAB dissapears? I think it is going to be very hard for me to TRY TO BUY an other car.

Rico
5 years 16 days ago

This statement is the most important for me in this situation:

Saab Parts will be in business so long as there are customers needing parts.

Driving Saabs for over 40 years and with actually four Saabs in our family, (one 9-5 Station, two 9-3, one 900 I cv) we will try to keep them runnig as long as possible.

By then we will not think about an alternative! I don’t find the saabish feeling in no other car here in Germany!

Chris_de_Ze
5 years 16 days ago

Alfa Romeo and Saab are two distinctive brands that their owners exhibit almost the same passion for their cars.
It’s hard to find the same attitude elsewhere in other brands targeted to and affordable by the general public.
As owner of a Saab and an Alfa I can say that Saabisti and Alfisti behave almost the same.
If I ever decide to buy another car my first choice would be Saab again, but if Saab is not there then I would go for an Alfa.

Let’s hope Saab will continue to exist and flourish.

CoolCombi
5 years 16 days ago

Here in the States (and evident from folks I have worked with over many, may years), Subaru is a brand with a loyal following. Can’t say that I’ve heard of a Subaru Owners Convention but they are loyal customers nonetheless!

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Funny you should mention Alfa Romeo.

After yesterdays news I looked at the Alfa Web site (looking for a possible alternative to Saab).

No Spyder anymore but the 159 and 159SW at a quick glance do look like the outgoing 9-5 and 9-5 Wagon.

It’s probably a co-incidence, but the world works in strange ways. The Saab 9000 was a platform shared with Alfa Romeo and Fiat way back when.

Are Alfa Romeo and Saab designers wired the same way still?

spacy

I can see the current 9.3 rear side view in the AR 156SW, but not much else

Thylmuc
5 years 16 days ago

Iirc, the 159 is based on the GM Premium platform developped by Saab and originally planned for the new 9-5. Still surprising that you recognise similarities!

By the way, it really seems that the platform was too massive for an Alfa, since a lot of Alfisti complained that the 159 was too heavy (at least before the first revision).

GerritN
5 years 16 days ago

Do Alfa’s still sound like a coffee grinder?

Chris_de_Ze
5 years 16 days ago

Sorry, no such feature on the Alfa’s (not yet at least). You either have to buy or prepare yourself the coffee in advance.

saabsp
5 years 16 days ago

I couldnt agree more, Saab is more that just a car, a mode of transport. its a lifestyle, an expression and it sparks emotion.

saabsp
5 years 16 days ago

Funny you should mention Alfa Romeo.

If I were forced to choose an alternative to Saab, Alfa is where I would look. Could it be that they also have an Individual character that sets them apart from everything else????

WooDz
5 years 16 days ago
As this Alternative vehicle post has risen it’s head I thought I’d just add my 2 cents. SU has it on record that I stated 2 things. the 1st was that I’d never buy another GM vehicle, the 2nd was that I’d also never buy a Volkswagen. My car will hit 12 years old in exactly 10 days time. I’ve replaced a lot of components, some were very expensive. Recently I was faced with another set of choices which means another โ‚ฌ1,000 to put into the car. It not that my Viggen is a so called ‘Geldfresser’ or ‘moneypit’ it… Read more »
GerritN
5 years 16 days ago

Sounds like the time for has come to buy a trailer.
Unfortunately the Viggen can’t have a trailer hitch, I know since I have a Viggen and a trailer.
If I would live in Europe I’d keep the Viggen and get a Saab diesel with a trailer hitch.

Toby K
5 years 16 days ago

Probably an old Saab. if not then maybe an Alfa or Jaguar XKR or XJR (second hand). I’d rather not have to take that choice though!

Belfast_Saab
5 years 16 days ago

+1, was very tempted by some 2005+ Jag XJR – classy car. Glad I stayed with Saab though, my 9-3 2.8T SS is often admired as is my Viggen which does not look 12 years old!

Peter Gilbert
5 years 16 days ago
I have never owned any other brand since I was 18 and I don’t intend to switch now. It’s like a long faithful marriage. Even a different brand when I rent I have guilt. If you do maintenance by the book and more some, like (items not in the book). Change the power steering fluid every 30,000 etc., you will go that million. My friend Irv Gordon has almost 3 million on his 1966 Volvo. I am in frequent contact with the Israeli SAAB Club who would love to be able to buy a new model but alas there have… Read more »
5 years 16 days ago

Lets put it this way, there is only one part of me I would rather not do without that my Saab. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If there were no Saab it would have to be an Alfa Romeo or a BMW. I still want to drive a classic 900T16S/SPG/Aero before I die (which wont be for wuite a while I am hoping).

Go Saab

Alexandros
5 years 16 days ago

I work in Munich, Germany, and I have seen several Rolls Royces, like the one in the picture, driving in the streets of Munich but also other luxury and/or sport cars. I point them to my wife and say: “Look, there is our house driving by…”

Believe me, I have never seen not a single NG 9-5 in Munich…what a shame…

Thylmuc
5 years 16 days ago

Also living in Munich, I can assure you that there are NG9-5s on the streets. Not just as many as I had hoped by now.

Greg Abbott
5 years 16 days ago
2010 was the year for me to get a new car, fortunately I was able to buy a new 9-5. But I did have to contemplate alternatives to Saab for a period of time, and I surprised myself a bit by ruling out any of the German cars. The German cars are overpriced, and in some cases, wildly overpriced. The brand image for the German cars is also conformist — the message you send by driving a new Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Porsche is “look at my conspicuous display of wealth.” Now, conspicuous display of wealth has a role in… Read more »
GerritN

I seriously object to the mentioning of Porsche in this context ๐Ÿ™‚

I probably would have cut my tongue out 10 years ago, but I agree on the Taurus SHO as an alternative. Ford has come a long way. The American alternatives for a Saab have grown which is of course the reason for the new 9-5 not flying off the dealer lots.

mike saunders
5 years 15 days ago

I agree with that assessment on conspicuous display of wealth, but on the other side….the German cars you mention (maybe Audi excepted) have a warranted reputation for quality and performance that Saab has tried desperately, and unsuccessfully, to match.

+1 on the CTS Wagon. It’s beautiful. I’ve driven the Taurus and wasn’t blown away by it. It’s competent, but felt like driving a coffin.

The VW CC is extremely worthy of consideration, as it just blows away the 9-3 in all respects, including price. High on my list would also be a Buick Regal GS

spacy
5 years 16 days ago

Not much else for me….So

I will buy a very late OG9.5, when one comes up @ the right price. I’ll trade in my older 9.5 estate (03). Saw a nice 2006/7 9 5 Aero estate today for, wait for…..ยฃ2750….nice, but a bit short on the service history, so said no..
Will keep looking & keep it (with my 9K) for a few years, then maybe something else will appear to please me…..

spacy
5 years 16 days ago

Obviously the NG9.5 would be gorgeous, but I’d be worried about spares for it….

Motoradd's Cat
5 years 16 days ago

Had me very worried about the value of my 08 9-5 vector sport Tid Wagon there so chjecked with Autotrader.

Got to be something wrong with that car.

2008 diesel models are being advertised for between about ยฃ8000 to ยฃ11000 on Autotrader at the moment.

2006/7 for about ยฃ6000 to ยฃ8000.

spacy
5 years 16 days ago

There are a few very cheap ones around, that have very high miles (+150k), but this one was nice body with 88K, so it was worth a look, but as I said, only 2 service stamps[maybe more, as ex lease, 1 owner though] in 88k mile, worried me.
But there a some good ones @ around ยฃ5k……..Iid always hold their money better, though.

spacy
spacy
5 years 16 days ago

Nothing more to say…….thanks.

sala or bust
5 years 16 days ago

I’ll just pick a cheap safe car….No fuzz.

Smithy
5 years 16 days ago

I can assure you Red J that there are in fact a lot of people that favor a car that will make an A to A trip worth while… ๐Ÿ˜‰

ivo 71
5 years 16 days ago
Would it totally destroy my rep if I said in public that I quite like the Opel Signum 3.2 Cosmo? The only thing wrong with it is the maufacturer’s badge and that simplistic Vectra dash layout, otherwise it’s a great compromise car with very good road behaviour, more than enough power, great seats, top quality materials inside, an excess of space front and back, a built-in fridge (yesss!) and even pretty modest fuel consumption figures for a 3.2 litre. There, I have said it. Now do your worst. Other, probably less controversial possibles: Alfa 156 SW 2.5 V6/3.2 GTA (because… Read more »
GerritN
5 years 16 days ago

“Would it totally destroy my rep if I said in public that I quite like the Opel Signum 3.2 Cosmo?”

Yes, you’re toast ๐Ÿ™‚

ivo 71
5 years 16 days ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah….you’re just saying that because you can’t buy one out there in the colonies…

๐Ÿ˜‰

Ivo

Toby K
5 years 16 days ago

No he really isn’t I’m pretty sure he’s considered that quote scientifically, objectively and finally subjectivly and come up with no, no, no.

Still it could be worse you could have said Hyundai or Chevrolet.

ivo 71
5 years 16 days ago

Well, I know for a fact that GerritN actually รญs a scientist… so maybe I am toast indeed ๐Ÿ™

Ivo

Alex740
5 years 16 days ago

If Saab goes under I’m sure a lot of owners will go to Audi but personally I think it’s one of the most overrated brands on the market right now. IMO, the designs are bland and depend on LED decorations to jazz things up, the perceived quality of the cars is much higher than the actual and the reliability is terrible from everything I’ve heard from friends.

I’ll be holding onto my 9-5 Aero as long as possible and then I’d consider a Porsche.

hans h
5 years 16 days ago

I agree on your thoughts on Audi. The last “good” Audi (in my mind) was the A2.

If I can not buy a new Saab, I will buy an old one. As I have done frequently so far ( I own six Saabs, from 1958 to 1993).

Is Boxster as good as they say it is?

Jonno

hej Saabanistas!
Check out this blog from ANE. Perhaps Saab could show this concept immediately after production re-starts….. just in case anyone lost confidence. Saab up!

BLACKAERO
5 years 16 days ago
I am old(er). What has that got to do with purchasing a new car? I recently was in the market for a convertible and purchased a used 2009 Aero. This is my 6th Saab; my 2nd Aero. I looked at all the competition – new cars. I discovered that interiors have become computers with wheels. It appears that manufactures are no longer interested in designing cars for people my age but for younger people who aparently need to be “tuned-in” while driving. I found dashboard instrumentation in some cars to be virtually unreadable. After checking out the competition, I went… Read more »
ivo 71
5 years 16 days ago

Agreed. I’m probably your age and have also wondered why it is that some people’s biggest problem with a car is the -in their eyes- insufficiently performing infotainment system. Cars apparently aren’t for driving anymore, what seems to be the important aspect now is the sound of the in-car audio and the options of the phone stuff.

Ivo

saabsp

Alex740

My opinion of Audi and experience from friends who drive them is the same as yours. Even a friend of mine is turning away from his TT. It’s just too problematic, with numerous electrical faults which the dealer fails to correct and charges an arm and a leg to diagnose.

WooDz
5 years 16 days ago
I just wanted to add a little more to my post above. The sad point of all of this is that I feel SAAB just doesn’t have a model for me to buy. I don’t want a trailer because I’m then heavy speed restricted and I have to park the trailer somewhere safe at events and I don’t have the space at home for one either. The order of the Touran feels right but I’m not over joyed. I’m buying an appliance, and seeing the same car(s) at a set of traffic lights will no doubt incur a strange feeling.… Read more »
Toby K
5 years 16 days ago

Yeah do Jag drivers smile at each other? Do Alfa Romeo drivers? its funny how even if you are not a big Saab fan (like us boys and girls) somehow everyone knows they are in an exclusive little club.
I got a really nice smile from a blonde 9-3 driver yesterday as I pulled up at the petrol pump in my old black 1989 900 t16 Aero.

it cost me ยฃ80

Worth every penny.

ivo 71
5 years 16 days ago

Expensive smile… She a professional girl? Or were you maybe referring to a different ‘exclusive little club’ next to the gas station this time?

๐Ÿ™‚

Ivo

Edonis
5 years 16 days ago
I haven’t been much on SU for the last half year, it’s just too depressing to read about all the problems Saab is having. I don’t want to live the rest of my life without a car, so Saab needs to survive. I don’t currently own a car anymore, but in about five years time I will purchase a car again. Ofc, I could buy a used Saab if it were to go out of business, but I’d really like to buy a factory fresh car with that nice new car smell. Not with the Merc, Bmw, Audi, Lexus or… Read more »
Thylmuc
5 years 16 days ago

Does the above pictured vehicle allow me to tow a horse trailer?

Can I do a speed travel from here to my parents’ without refuelling?

Is it available in a version without pathetic design?

If not, I feel it is not for me. Well, I am more of a Bentley fan anyway;-)

mattlach
5 years 15 days ago
I thought about this a lot back when we were going back and forth in the end of the GM days, and the truth was I just couldn’t think of any other brand of vehicle I would consider driving instead of my Saab. at least not any other vehicle I’d reasonably be able to afford. At one point I would have considered Volvo, but now that they are owned by the Chinese, and they dropped their R line, they are straight out for me. I will not put my life in the hands of a Chinese product. Audi’s are a… Read more »
Jan9.5
5 years 15 days ago

There are rumors that Audi and BMW will come with cars comparable to the new Saab 9.5 in about three to four years … these will some form of exclusivity the first 6 months….:-)