Mother GM has come down with yet another sibling to big brother SAAB 9-5 and middle sibling Buick Lacrosse. They all share the same last name Epsilon 2. Yesterday at the Los Angeles Auto Show the Cadillac XTS was officially seen for the first time. The other brother Buick LaCrosse was there at the show but big old brother Saab 9-5 was at home in Sweden.
It is interesting to see how similar the siblings are and yet so different.
So what is similar and different:
– Chassis geometry length between axels, FWD standard and Haldex XWD option. HiPer chassis, DriveSense guess Caddy calls it something else but I believe it is the same.
– HUD is the same in Buick and Saab Caddy might get it in full color just like WNB and iduA (Stupid if You ask me as a Human Factors Expert)
– Rear seat infotainment seams to be the same as well as the front info screen in Buick and Saab. Caddy has stepped up somewhat with their take on Saab iQon.
– Steering-wheel same in Buick and Saab some more frustrating buttons on Caddy.
– Adaptive lights same
– Seats and headrests looks like it is the same basic structure Saab Whiplash protection, and control knobs etc.
– Door buttons for windows etc. looks the same
– Exterior mirror design with the LED turn signal bar similar.
– Glass similar? hard to tell. But sure look similar on all 3 cars. Plastics on B-pillar looks just like 9-5.
– Exterior styling. Well here is the great water divider. It´s a matter of taste. My raking is this Buick looks like any Japaneze car, Saab looks sporty modern and sleek, Caddy looks modern but with that edgy hard non-welcoming look.
Saab 9-5 NG
Would be great to have all three in an AutoCross shootout to see if there are any handling differences.
What on the 3 siblings is designed by the Saab people, would be interesting to know. Sure the germans at Opel in Russelsheim as been on it so my two cents on this is that all there are to a VERY high degree European cars, if not at least to some percentage SAAB. Hurray!
Lets hope people can have the choice of all three pretty soon.
Please fill the link with any information You have on the three vehicles similarities and differences.