Teknikens-Varld’s 9-3 image

This cover picture from Teknikens Varld dropped into our mail box and I thought it would be nice to share it with you.

Big thank you to Jan Erik.

_______

Just for clarification, this is a completely speculative photoshop job by Teknikens-Varld’s artist. It’s also very, very off. The biggest problem you have here is that they’re adapting Castriota styling to a sketch he never even made, rendering some of his work very clumsily on the front which was not leaked in the NDO’s original leaked sketch. This sketch gives us almost nothing constructive to base a design discussion around except for the dangers of speculating on something that you don’t know much about. For proof of this, see their artist impression of the new 9-5 from a few years ago.

Have no fear. The Castriota 9-3 is incredibly striking- unlike that rendering. -Jeff

Kimberly
I really, really hate the front end. That new look is horrible. The 9-3 taking that look would be like BMW abandoning their kidney grill. The rest of the car, I like, but that front end has got to change. It kinda-sorta works for the 9-5, but I really dislike that look on the 9-3. I hope they’re not putting it into production with that front end. I hope that photo is of a mule with the typical fake front fascia to hide the real details. Also, those “scoops” in front of the wheels? Unless they’re going to be bringing… Read more »
Red J

Maybe its me, but hate is a too strong feeling for me.

For your information.

– This is a CGI
– This is from an unknown design stage
– This might very well be photocchopped by TV
– You can’t hate a picture

robbe

-This is a CGI
-This is from an unknown design stage
– This might very well be photocopied by TV

This sort of information should be included in the original article/post. As well as a translation of the text from the magazine cover.

900SEB

The New SAAB 9-3: Secret document unveils the new model we all long for!

Z!

don’t worry, that drawing is just a spectaculation of journalists…

jthaze84

It’s actually not. My friend in Sweden sent me this photo a couple of days ago. According to the article, it was leaked from official documents Saab sent to a government agency several months ago. They were inadvertently sent between government agencies, which under Swedish law, makes them public.

jthaze84

It probably is pre-Castriota, however.

montahue

I imagine your swedish friend lives in a fictional universe. Please correct me if i’m wrong.

Jeff

When Castriota saw the leaked sketches, I’m told he was not amused (and upset). I personally think it looks unresolved, and can’t stand the rear light. His design is much more resolved, but design is a matter of opinion.

Tomas TL1000R

It look about the same as the earlier picture we have seen. Just a version of it if you ask me. I like it but think the “real car” is going to look even better. I do not think that JC leave the mission by just doing a smaller 9-5 look alike in a coupe back(sort of). So time will tell hopefully.

Vector-SS

I think hideous is the correct word here; CGI, photo, 2012/2013, or whatever that picture is!

Alex740

I put no stock in this, it’s clearly a photo chop, a fairly poor one, of what they think it will look like based on that earlier sketch that we already know to be outdated.

Khrisdk

Who cares what it is or looks like or if we like it?

It’s on the frontpage..Without Doomsday writing

hans h

Interesting isn’t it. 🙂

On one hand, there are doom and gloom articles about arrested Antonov, negative GM and reluctant chinese companies. But on the other hand, there are articles like this and sales campaigns all over Europe and that gives me a slightly positive feeling.

I take it as a positive sign.

Tripod

I agree with you Khris; and Hans.

It looks like the pre-JC car we saw a few weeks back. The is most definitely not a Saab front fascia. Im not taking this too seriously.

Grumpy

do we Know if ‘JC’ is still involved?

Not that I think this looks anything like the final product. For a photoshop design it is not too bad though.

Jeff

He’s definitely still in the picture. Keep in mind how involved he was when this whole mess started. Now realize how much work has gone on since then. His design has helped push the engineers to further develop the platform, glad he’s involved.

saabyurk

Pretty much agree with kimvette, but instead of “hate” I would give it a big “meh”. However, as mentioned by others, this is pre-JC and I think JC’s version will be sensational if it ever sees the light of day. I’m really hoping to replace my 04 with a new JC version someday. Keeping fingers crossed.

Iiari

Probably far off, as everyone has said, and even considerings such things feels sooo far away…

But a general comment looking at the photo. Am I the only person who hates the high beltlines that are becoming increasing common on cars? I LOVE low beltlines and great sightlines. Such things are friends to drivers who appreciate situational awareness of all things on the road around them. The feeling of sitting in a bathtub while driving and having huge pillar and height blindspots really bothers me…

Thylmuc

Completely agree with you. Completely. Concerning the safety aspect: “In Schönheit sterben” (To die in beauty).

spacy

If you enlarge the picture, then look across the top of the rear screen, it is not symmetrical.
Much higher on the passenger ‘C’ pillar than on the other side.

Just a photochop job, although the grill is a bit big [think Peugeot].

montahue

Also the rear end looks “bent” due to the artists bad perspective skills. And just look at those air intakes (!!!) they and their”framing” occupies half the fascia. I don’t think this picture has much to do with either some leaked Castoria design or older Padian design, its just made up from fantasy world by a average “photoshop-designer” and TV wants to sell their magazine. Saab still sells, not cars atm. but non the less it still sells (dreams) 🙂

Cerulean

This is great, just like the old ‘Trollhattansaab’ days, people discussing future Saabs and how they should/shouldn’t look. Far better than the discussions we’ve recently got used to. Bring on the new dawn!

hilmar

A first impression maybe but one should work on it. This can´t be JC´s new 9-3 ? 😉

The bumper looks totally unfinished, but I like the headlight. Overall shape is more like a sedan than a hatch. The rear should be much higher like in the early Padian 9-3.

The most important think can’t be seen though. Does the car drive like a Saab? I very much believe so, if it ever hits the road.
Fingers crossed.

saabworker

It’s very interesting, and fun to read all the speculations when i actually have seen the new 9-3. 🙂

Red J

😛

Belfast_Saab

Tease!

Troels, Denmark

In 1:1 – or as computer-renderings ?

saabworker

1:1

emil

Isn’t it? I too have seen it, the 1:1 model that is, and I can only concur with Jeff’s statement: Have no fear. The Castriota 9-3 is incredibly striking- unlike that rendering

saabworker

It’s truly awesome!

Jeff

Best looking Saab ever in my opinion.

How about the interior?! 😉

Red J

Me likes it 🙂

Red J

I should delete this whole comment branch, you are nothing but sadists. 🙁 😉

Ken H

Teknikens Värld hired a teenager some years ago to do some photoshopping, and he was skilled enough but not always very aestethical… I guess he is still working for TV… 🙂

Tech crazy as I am, I would rather like to read about Öhlins Racing AB…

paddan

I would be happy to see these designs make it to market, if you know what I mean, and it shouldn’t take a rocket scientist.

Toby K

These are not the designs.The top one was mooted but things moved on with Jason. the latter is too clumsy to be a representation of anything other than the general shape. nothing (much) to see here.

At least it gets us talking about possibilities which is good.

conkers

I’ve seen the NG93 in the flesh… I am not easily impressed, but it took my breath away and it had me wanting one.
None of the leaked images or photoshop/renderings out there are close to what I saw
If you like cars, you have to like SAAB.
If you like SAAB’s… You’ll LOVE the NG93

talladegan

I really wish SAAB would ‘leak’ some kind of image of the real deal

Jeff

Not going to happen, especially now that the next 9-3 is delayed. If the buyers can get the deal through, they will need to sell as many 9-3 Griffins as possible to bring them back to their bottom line and stem what will be enormous losses. It’s almost back to square one.

saabman

Like most who’ve already commented, I don’t find the artist’s rendering to be very appealing at all. In fact, I’d even say it’s less appealing than the current 208-2011 9-3, as well as its 2003-2007 predecessor. But, it’s great that there are publications, especially in Sweden, focusing on Saab’s positive potential and not simply on the next arbitrary ‘deadline.’

Mark

I hope the 9-3’s successor looks better than that. None of the photoshop concoctions so far look like anything I’d really consider buying. They all look too bland and too “GM era”. Hopefully that’s all behind us now.