Variants of the Auto Express 9-3

People that know how the final car looks like have said that the blurry picture of last week was a pre JC design, and thus not really the real deal.

Auto Express has given a talented photoshopper the task to polish that picture using clues from the 9-5 and the Phoenix, for instance the fog-lamps pods are 100% Phoenix, or the crease on the rear fender.

Our Italian friends from the Saabway club have sent us two variants of the AE 9-3, which are at least interesting, and some of you will like more than the original AE 9-3

The first one is mostly the same 5-door configuration from Auto express, but the side of the car has been cleaned(no rear crease, no concave surfaces), more in-line with the current 9-5.

The second one is simply a 3-door variant of the first one.

BTW, I think this two pictures fit quite well to the blurry picture.

TM

This photochop has serious problems as far as proportions go…..wheelbase is too short,wheels look too big, the doors are too short for a coupe….. I suggest a SU competition , of how the new 9-3 fastback would look like…..nothing fancy pant….simple scketches, that would be allot of fun.

SAABoy

If I had to pick one out of the two as the original, i’d say the top one. Blow them both up and check out the wheel graininess…

Luca S.

It’s been made in just a few minutes from one of our forum users.

The second one (the 3door) has been designed reducing wheel diameter… the door is longer (maybe it should be a bit more longer, but it’s longer that the original version) and thewheelbase has been shortened.

TM

wheelbase should be the same…..a real coupe has the same wheelbase as the sedan.

Luca S.

I agree.

I just explained how HE worked out it.. 😉

Jeff

Don’t worry. If Saab survives, the JC version is much, much nicer than any of these attempts. Lets pray it doesn’t leak. These actually make me want to buy the current 9-3 more, lol.

oistein

You’ve seen it I take it?

mnztr

I like the softer rear arch on these ones more.

Luca S.

me too!! We talked a lot about that and than one of us made this pic… I think it’s a lot better with the soft rear arch. -)

That 5 door is smoking hot. 🙂

Hving said that Saab needs to do a Jaguar and head off in a totally different styling direction that keeps hints of Saab’s past.

Luca S.

You know what..? I don’t know what they’re thinking about the new 9-3 design at Saab….. but for me… I’ll buy that 9-3 tomorrow morning… I think is definitvely perfect.

Henric Tungström

crazy proportions, wheels and axle-distance as mentioned, and what about the rear door-handle.

No, if someone is skilled enough (ie not me) take the leaked picture, put the phoenix front on it and dream up a nice rear. (Classic 900 rear-lights inspiration? Or can´t they be placed that low anymore?

cheers

Luca S.

Sorry but wheels are alway too big in rendering examples…

The first pic has the same wheels adopted by Auto express (it’s the same pic.. just smooth on the rear arch). I think volumes proportions of the first pic is perfect.

The second has smaller wheels (as in real).. but also a shorter wheelbase and, I agree, it should remain the same..

Luca S.

Rear door handle is there where Auto Express put it… as everything else except for the rear arch and the 3door version…

Basically… is just the same picture.

Henric Tungström

I know, I know, it was the auto express original I was talking about, sorry if I offended you.

Luca S.

Oh ok, I misunderstood… for the “offence” no problem, don’t worr, it wasn’t me who made this pic… XD

I just wanted to explain what was changed to be more clear in the discussion,… 😉

About the rear door handle I agree.. it should be moved a bit more backward… but in the original pic there were the rear crase… and it hasn’t been moved. Is correct to say that if you clean up the rear arch.. then you could move back the door handle and so the side could be again more beautyful..

Toby K
Honestly..no offence but the guy that did this is clearly a talented photoshopper. That said he has no idea about the propertional laws of beauty, it looks like it has potential, it still looks a bit safe, but something is definitely wrong with the wheelbase and the wheel scale, also the 3 door should have much longer doors in the saab tradition and be more of a sports coupe, less like a 5 door (just without the extra doors). You’ll be glad to know that the end result though I’m not a fan of this particular design still makes me… Read more »
Piet-Hein S.

i think this car would be a 9-5 (Sports)Hatch, to compete with Audi’s A7, being a hatch of 4.70m.

but way cheaper than € 59.000,- (NL-price)

btw: the A7 reminds me of the mid-80’s 100 Avant (the pre-zinked version, that is)

900 classic cab

The 5 door version suits me. Not so crazy about the 3 door. It reminds me an Audi A5 sportback. Not that it’s ugly, but it’s not original anymore and SAABs are supposed to be much more that german copies.

Mark

Too GM. It’s even got the generic GM door handles! Saab needs to find it’s own road again.

Alex740

I agree, all GM cars (9-5 and 9-4x included unfortunately) all have similar details that give the design equivalent of a GM aftertaste. Time to cleanse the palette.

Alex740

The photochop makes the car look like even more of a fat little piggy, very heavy looking, the creases helped break up the long expanses of blank paneling. Judging from JC’s other designs the sides won’t be so plain, I look forward to seeing what he comes up with, he had a great basic form to start with.

Mark

I think the original fuzzy image was based on the GM idea to shrink the 9-3 on to the Delta II platform. This is why the proportions don’t look right when it’s stretched to the size we expect the new 9-3 to be. Well that’s my theory anyway and it it explains your ‘fat little piggy’ observation.

Alex740

Yeah, I completely agree. Overall though the basic shape is fantastic, it’s that’s the starting point JC is working from then I think we will be seeing something pretty spectacular.

Mark

If JC can filter out that “GM aftertaste” and put in a bit more real Saab, it should be great. Can’t wait to see a real coupe, but I guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer for that one? The bigger market 5 door needs to come out first.

TonymacUK

Wheels too big, back end looks as if something has fallen on it! Front almost as good as mine – I`ve just walked across the multi storey to my car, gleaming under the the fluorescent lighting, best looking car on the floor!