Bård Eker talks of Saab

Bård Eker
Picture by Embert Saeter
Koenigsegg owner Bård Eker talks to www.dn.no in Norway and says:

– I am following what´s going on. We need to hope for the best. There are interesting possibilities for Saab.

Just what this mean we do not know, but they did the ground work some years ago they might just have to make minor adjustment in there Numbers/Excel files and come up with a revitalized business plan. Keep Saab in Sweden with the makers of the worlds fastest 0-300-0 km/h production car would be, lets put it right, more than interesting.

tobbe

it would be so cool if koenigsegg could make a bid on Saab, and start it up again.
On thing that must be saved is the museum.

TurboLamko

Everything must be saved in my opinion, but the museum especially!

Coggy

To the devil with the museum, here in England almost all we have remaining of manufacturing industries are museums. A car factory making Saabs in Sweden is what must be saved.

dog green

I think Christian and Bård will be alot better prepared if they come back to try again. This time there is no EIB money I guess , but they might be contacted by other investors…..

GerritN

And so the whole circus starts again?

Only an investor who can come up with 500M to 1000M Euros has a chance to kick start Saab. Also, without GM IP it will take 2 to 3 years to produce anything again, so you don’t only need deep pockets but also be able to hold your breath for a long time. Somehow I have the feeling that Koenigsegg has neither.

Greg Bakos

I have a feeling GM would not interfere with a Koenigsegg deal so long as they agree to zero Chinese involvement.

Marque

Good point. But, in an assumed involvement of Ksegg, it depends on whether what investor parties can Ksegg align with themselves (to produce the 1/2 – 1billion cash needed). As far they aren’t from China, GM should be fine with it.

adams

+1.

spacy

But YM still has part of the phoenix hardware now….

Troels, Denmark

I – unfortunately – have a feeling that ypu are wrong in this matter…

VM’s biggest business mistake was to not sell the TV-rights to this reality show. Saab could have made easily 50 million eur per season.
On a more serious note, how about selling the lot to Ksegg that immediately takes ‘the reborn SAAB’ into the Stockholm stock exchange and NYSE to raise some serious cash through an IPO. I think the community alone would be willing to pick up stock for at least a billion SEK.

hogge

Well, then maybe we’ll see a Koenigsegg based Aero X be made in the mean time.
And I’ve stated this time and time again: remember that the current 9-3 already is being made in china. Saab could import those and sell them right under GM’s noses!

Red J

No current 9-3 is being build in China.
BAIC still has not shown any production cars from the SAAB tech they bought.
And the first to come will be the C70 based on the 9-5 and it looks nothing like the 9-5.

saabtec

Way too soon to say anything myself. Just sitting back and watching it unfold for the next week or so. Hoping for a good outcome none-the-less.

Marque

Heck, what a beautiful piece of metal in the background, btw.

Coggy

I had the pleasure of driving a 9-5 Aero for a month, what a joy !
(Except for the electronic handbrake)

saabtek

I don’t know, I’m exhausted but going to my guy Larry at Country Imports in Neosho Wisconsin to pick up a di cassette for the 95. I’ll always have saabs to drive and kind of glad the chinese are not involved considering that ovlov’s don’t look swedish anymore their starting to look over designed like hyudais however their spelled. bye now!

Thylmuc

Interesting point. So you see a correlation between Volvo’s new design line (which I also don’t like, nor consider Swedish), and the new owners? Hitherto, I tought it was just “the times”, that were started by Renault (Avantime) and BMW (7 series). Mmmhh…

Reminds me of an interview I read lately, with a designer who complained about this point as well, attributing the recent design shift to putting more importance on pleasing customers from regions of this planet that would also glue Svarovsky gems to their cars…

Radu

I think this could be the happiest sollution! Especially because it might keep the product in Sweden and concept and overall philisophy could be still kept in the natural environment of saab! I think that if Made in Sweden goes away it will be a great loss, perhaps even reputation!

Doctor Donk

Koenigsegg PLEASE DO THAT. SAAB SHOULD BE SWEDISH! 100% Swedish and a bit Dutch.

spacy

To late for that………..

TurboLamko

It’s not to late at all yet!

Doctor Donk

I just got brand new saab so its OK for me to wait untill gm free car is done

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

Koenigsegg taking over, very fine.

Make Saab sales limited to 50,000 per year, only to dedicated fans, just like super pricy sportive cars, would be great too.

Angelo V.

That’s a recipe for eventual failure too. Look to the roots to find blossom. It’s in entry level cars that are interesting, reliable and safe. Saab did this in the 1960s for crying out loud—-and they can do it again.

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

Yes but my suggestion is only for the case that if Koenigsegg takes over, because IMHO Koenigsegg is just too small to make Saab BIG.

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

And NO to anything related to general morons, make Saab re-start with only Saab own stuff, that’s the way to go, pure Swedish cars.

mo

after seeing all these statements from various parties, for me the best is to take them all with a grain of salt. i don’t think i could handle anymore disappointment.

Angelo V.

Interesting maybe, but we need marketable, not interesting. I don’t want Saab to devolve into a boutique brand that sells a couple dozen cars a year—-smaller, cheaper, reliable is the path toward Saab surviving the next transition, if there is one.

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

There is such a market.

I am not here for pro-Chinese posts, but the fact is that current Chinese car market is around 19 million new car sales per year, and this is still the beginning, prediction is that in 2020 the new car sales will hit 40 million annually.

Had YM succeeded the cooperation with Saab, if we can get only 0.5% of the Chinese market, that’s already 200,000 cars, fu.cking general morons (*&)(#$)*(#@_$)*#@$_(my first dirty post on SU)

Troels, Denmark

+++

Angelo V.

+++++++++ – +++++

meccano
I wonder if Koenigsegg has the money to buy Saab’s assets and fund its resurrection? I must also note that the immature tone towards General Motors around here is both tiresome and childish. Saab Aerospace (Saab AB) couldn’t save Saab Automobiles. The richest and most powerful family in Sweden couldn’t save Saab Automobiles. The largest car maker in the world who poured billions of dollars into Saab Automobiles starting long before they even owned the company outright couldn’t save Saab automobiles. That brings us to the sincere, underfunded, inexperienced, charismatic and charming Victor Muller and his Spyker Cars (whose deal… Read more »
Marque

that clever dutchman who never made money with his fist car company

Well, exactly how much money did GM make with Saab? (We don’t know). But how much money did GM make themselves? (Tax payer bailout). Seems to me a swampy path you chose by this argument. It doesn’t hold water.

Besides, I bet you’ll never be sucessful here with the mission of GM’s defence, just because of a few very strong and well founded reasons, which are simple and everyone is aware of.

ivo 71

Contrary to meccano’s comment, swampy paths by definition do hold water. But, even so, I like your analogy.

😉

Ivo

meccano
How much money did GM make with Saab? None. That was kind of the point, no? You’re really wanting to compare GM’s historical ability to turn a profit selling automobiles over the past 100 years vs. Mr Muller’s over the past decade at Spyker and Saab? That’s an attempt at humor right? I keep reading here about how the Swedish Government should have backed Saab, but the complete opposite reasoning and logic is used when arguing why General Motors are nothing but morons. Odd logic and reasoning, but it makes sense when one considers my original observation regarding tiresome and… Read more »
OddJob

Hey Bård, why not team up with Youngman. They might need some further European ground.

Allan B

I’m feeling it.

74StingSaab

I’d rather GM rekindle Saab instead of another small boutique car company.

Snowshoe
For a swedish solution of resurecction of Saab I would personally consider buing shares for 100 000 SEK if a good enough funding can be achieved. By that I mean that I would buy the shares only if the whole needed amount is signed up for. How much money that could be raised like this I have no idea but that figure or perhaps a little more is what I could invest in a little gamble with my pension money. But as I said provided that the full funding is achieved. Possibly also the GM licenses need to be agreed… Read more »
Thylmuc

At this stage, nothing would surprise me, even GM buying back Saab. They are the biggest debitor, I presume.

Interesting that GM just anounced that they would lay off a significant number of engineers at their Rüsselsheim (Opel) development centre. Two years ago, they kept Opel for the very reason of this top-notch development team. Are they preparing for a re-integration of the Saab team? Have they recognised that they still lack a premium brand in Europe?