US Sales November 2011

I waited to put this up until the end of the day (US time) so that everyone could have some time off of the waiting game. Hopefully you spent it well. In the meantime, we continue to wait patiently on one party in particular, and hope that all issues that need clarification can be ironed out as soon as possible. Until that point, there really isn’t much to speculate on.

Somehow, when you consider all that Saab has been through, it’s incredible that there are enough loyal customers who are willing to buy a car from a company that from all indications from the mainstream press is a walking corpse. Maybe these customers know something the reporters don’t.

November 2011SalesYTDStock
9-31503,7101,218
9-51661396971
9-4X40234254
Total3565,3402,443
November 2010SalesYTDStock
9-33063,7183,089
9-5915521,368
9-7X102
Total3974,3724,457
ryanonsrc

One thing that jumps out to me: the 9-5 sales are up from last year. I see this as a clear indication that once a plan is securely in place, production has restarted and some new models have been released (e.g. the 9-3 replacement), we could start seeing a dramatic increase. People like a good comeback story, if Saab can leverage take advantage of this: next year could look very different for Saab.

dcpattie

I guess folks are getting these NG 9-5 and bargain basement prices. Since I took ownership in Oct 2010, I’ve only seen two other NG 9-5 on the road in metro DC. Surprising considering all the Saabs on the roads in this region. In fact, when you see all the Saabs parked at area shopping malls you wonder how in the world could Saab be in its current situation.

Benjamin

I’m one of the 150 purchasers for a 93 this month . I love my 93 sport combi. Its an awesome machine! Thanks vick muller and employees!!!

JasonPowell

Wow, that is a pleasant surprise. Even if someone wants to say that these are fire sales or anything like that, it doesn’t matter much as the dealers have been able to move some old inventory. We pay flooring interest on the cars on our lots, so for the dealers that have moved some cars in November, I applaud you, good job. Oh and hey, there are 356 more Saab’s on the road in the US then this time last month.

MeanSabean

Jeff what kind of remark is that? Your always telling us to be positive, I just don’t understand that negative remark coming from you !

MeanSabean

Ok Jeff that’s what I want to hear, positive things! Not 15-20k off retail price of remaining Stock. Unless they will clear all old stock and start new Saab company from scratch without GM Tech!

100%Saab

“That or you can pick up a 2011 9-5 Aero $15-20K off retail. Just a thought.’

In your dreams. Try $15K off a used 2010 9-5 Aero, maybe.

jim

I’ve found zero mile 2011 9-5s for $27k advertised (and posted link here). That was months ago; it could be $24k now.

Saab_Lurker

I have never seen a new 9-5 base dip below $27k (which is a steal at $12k under sticker). I have been watching values on eBay and the local megadealer. I don’t see any 9-5’s left at the local dealer and just one at the megadealer. I have never seen a 9-4X on the road or at a dealer.

Grumpy
Well reading the comments here it is getting more and more clear that trying to sell Saabs in the states is a waste of time and, above all, money. No offence guys but the prices are too low to make money on selling cars if you are producing outside of North America. Saab should perhaps setup an exit strategy. Just selling the 9-4X and perhaps a version of the 9-5 for a few years and then close shop. Saab should concentrate on building the markets in Western Europe plus Russia and China. The effort to sell a few thousand cars… Read more »
aerostar
Grumpy…the US has been one of Saab’s strongest markets for the past 60 years. The sales are a direct reflection of the state of the brand, it’s quality, reliability, it’s pricing, advertising/marketing… and in all of those area’s the Saab dealers having been carrying the heavy load alone for 3+ years. It also happens to be the second largest automotive market in the world. With a fresh start, a marketing plan that fits the market (Not Move Your Mind, which means nothing in the US market) agressive advertising (Saab has done none in the US since Born From Jets-2006) the… Read more »
Grumpy
Aerostar. just to keep the discussion going, when do you believe Saab and prhaps the US dealers, should cut their losses. Yes the US market was great and for maybe even many years did Saab make money there. But the Costs are too high to maintain. The Aggressive advertising you talk about would be better placed, IMHO, in western Europe. Perhaps focus could be put on New England and parts of California. I just don’t believe Saab can restart all markets at once. I say go for the profit margin close or mothball markets where you can’t turn a profit… Read more »
aerostar
Alot of the US dealers are cutting their losses indicated by the discounts offered on the 2011 Saab models. There is no where near the margins offered as discounts..those are losers coming out of the dealers pockets. That being said the dealer count has dropped by 50 or so dealers who either have folded up shop (sadly) or dropped the brand (sometimes for Saabs betterment like many dealers who were dualled with Caddy/GM etc.) You may have a short term solution by bringing Saab marketing back to its roots in New England and the NYC and Philly and Washingto DC… Read more »
BoeBoe

the US has been one of Saab’s strongest markets

I rest my case.

Quixcube

On the bright side, north america isn’t costing Saab much of anything at the moment because they aren’t doing anything here (and even if they were, odds are they wouldn’t/couldn’t pay for it anyway). Just saying.

Still, in the future, I think the idea of withdrawing to a few key markets (northwest and northeast) is a good idea. Put Subaru in the crosshairs and start small.

Pedro

Sorry for beinc cynical, but… Loyal costumers or awesome deals to clear inventory? What is the real reason for those sales? 😉

Khrisdk

Both probably..
Regarding US/NA markets in general look above at Grumpys comment.
I then to agree with him.
Just leave the 9-4x there for a while, the Mexico build and engine choices makes it better suited for NA, and a lot of people like it.
Not so much the 9-5 at the needed price

aerostar

And who in the NA market is going to sell just the 9-4X? Nobody can stay in business with one model, you need multiple models with differing choices within the same brand. That is what Saab has been pushing for and righty so. You close NA market you might as well close Trollhattan.

Khrisdk
Maybe. At the moment I am not so sure. And I suspect that most surviving Saab dealers in NA at the moment are multibrand. So let me rephrase the above: Keep prices in NA at the necessary and trim levels to generate income for the EU made models and at the necessary level to generate income for the Mexico made model(s.) Do that math and you will see that the seller would be the 9-4X with a little rub off on 9-5 and 9-3. I think the main problem that is killing NA dealers is the fact that they have… Read more »
jim
US sells a **-ton of BMW 3series, Audi A4, Audi A8, Mercedes S-class etc. Millions of luxury cars annually. Saab can discover a way to price & compete in the USA. Or, probably it is over. Presently, the marketing head of Saab USA is the former Subaru USA man. He is someone who knows what it takes to sell here. It is a buyer’s paradise here. Saab’s pricing was a mistake because nobody ever paid those prices. It made residuals look that much worse. Meanwhile, the buyer’s guides print MSRP which was extremely unfavorable to Saab, and resulted in foot… Read more »