GM will not license to anyone

SvD.se came up with news that I already predicted in my post yesterday: GM will not license their IP to any new buyer:

– We are not in discussions with anyone about Saab and we will not license the technology to some any buyers, says James Cain.

But there may be an opening. When SvD Business asks James Cain sure that GM’s license also applies to the current 9-3 model, which in summer fill ten years, he becomes uncertain.

– I can not confirm that it is also the 9-3 model in the same way as 9-5 model.

Looks like he was not as well prepared as those who asked that last question…

We already had a big discussion here if the 9-3 would be enough to restart Saab until a new model range arrives. Now it is official that GM remains in its position. No matter who asks. They see Saab as a threat, a danger for their own brands, which is annoying and charming at the same time.

But this is not the end. At least Youngman have known about this before and tailored their plans accordingly. From everything I know the 9-3 is not GM IP in itself. And even if GM says they won’t license technology it still does not mean that they won’t sell parts to Saab. If they can’t kill Saab, it may be in the best interest of their shareholders to make some money of that, right?

phermansson

Exactly. And what’s the big news here? The media in Sweden blast this as a huge new setback, but that GM wouldn’t license the 9-5 and 9-4X feels like yesterdays news.

Trued

You are right. Guess everyone knew that GM would say know to the modern cars.
Go get a NG 9-5 while they last… they are packed with high tech IP that to some extent has been developed in Trollhättan.

We wish the owners of the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, Opel Insignia all great car experiences with the SAAB technologies inside their cars.

Carmania

“Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, Opel Insignia all great car experiences with the SAAB technologies inside their cars.”

And I can almost guarantee that the next generation LaCrosse, XTS and Insignia will be worse than the present since they will be messed up by incompetent GM developers without SAAB developers there to guide them 🙂

saabboy1

+1 No doubt, those GM cars are the result of Saab. GM is scared of a new Saab success with out them!

OliverH

It’s Important for the negations process with the receivers. A bidder must show how to run Saab with the current Saab 93.
So Brightwells announcement was only a disturber in the YM negoatin.

Örjan

“A bidder must show how to run Saab with the current Saab 93.”
Actually they don´t. The one with the biggest bid will get to buy “Saab” regardless of what their plans are. If the buyer just want to torch the whole thing it´s perfectly “OK”. The only goal in a bankruptcy is to get as much money as possibe. Sad but true.

rune

I still think the wishes of the biggest creditors count for something. NDO says they want Saab to find a new owner who can ensure continued production. CLEPA expresses similar thoughts.

But time is running out. The bidders will find it more difficult to succeed the more time passes. Thus the value ought to drop as well. A generous bid now is worth more than three potential bids three months from now.

Örjan

“whishes” and “must” are different things…

dcpattie

So GM won’t allow their “cars…9-5, 9-4” to survive and at the same time will not uphold the warranty on 2010+ cars. What a bunch of losers.

wfg

Honestly, I believe Saab, in which form it may ever restart, should get entirely separated from GM. GM has been proven not to be a trustful partner many times. Just looks what is happening with Opel! A much better choice would be to ask Magna or some car manufacturer how might like the idea to collaborate with Saab (e.g. Subaru, that had done so before or Mitsubishi as They may need a partner) for future collaboration. PLEASE stop considering GM as partner in any instance – it was and always will be a big mistake !!

kochje

agree: +1

MrTinkertrain

FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS YOUR EMOTIONS.
WORDS ARE NOT ENOUGH TO EXPRESS WHAT I FEEL TOWARDS gm.

Coke is it

If this is the case then i promise I will order a 9-3 SC instead of the new 9-5 SC just to get a reborn Saab going if Youngman can complete the transaction.

I will buy the 9-3 even if it’s not the car I want since it is not up to par with the current competition (the 9-3 is a good car but everyone must face the fact that it is an old car by now).

Removed sentence*** by EDITOR

Sorry for the language… or wait, I’m not sorry for that 🙂

TurboLover

Thanks EDITOR, good move!

Understand you Cokeisit, but please try to stay a gentleman :-/

Coke is it

I miss the time one could use the f-word freely on the internet. Is it copyrighted by GM now? 😉

TurboLover

Hahahahahahaha 😀

Daniel B

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…
Best comment ever…
You know.. If they haven´t already, I´m sure they will try….

rune

My thoughts are these: Let us wait for someone to buy the factory. Then we start seizing GM’s facebook page again, and we start arranging convoys to GM’s HQ.

I was not involved in the anti-GM protests a few months ago, but now that the cards are all on the table, I see things a little differently. Let us make sure it will be in GM’s shareholders best interest to continue the 9-5 license. GM’s breach of contract in the middle of December shall not go unnoticed.

KoGa

I agree. GM must be put under pressure. Should have been done first thing when they decided to stop the Youngman deal.

saabserb

This just confirms my trust in Youngman contra Brightwell. Youngman has done their homework.

Brightwell are just vultures!

TurboLover

Oh, I was obviously number 2 on this conclusion 🙂 .

rune
Easy there big fella. No need for name calling. I doubt any of us here have any idea what talks have been taking place between Brightwell and GM. Heck, for all we know GM’s spokeperson is not up to date on the developments taking place. If he had been, he should have said this already half a year ago. And even in case Brightwell have failed to do their homework, that does not mean they are “vultures”. Keep in mind that YM stumbled quite a bit last fall as well. They too thought they would get a 100% deal through,… Read more »
saabserb
Facts for suspect: 1. If someone says that there has been negotiations with GM and GM is positive about selling licenses to them. And the week after GM declines everything and tells that they will not give 9-5 license to anybody, then I must be suspicious. 2. If there is news that Youngman is prepared to bid big time one morning and then someone reacts the same afternoon that they would bid too and match I am suspicious too. If I know that Youngman is big in China in vehicle industry and that Brightwell has so far acquired a plastic… Read more »
rune

Yeah, I get that you are suspicious, but calling them ‘vultures’ qualifies as libel.

I still think you are only seeing a little piece of the puzzle (goes for me as well). It surprises me how quick you are to judge. (and despite the amounts of word you expended in your reply, you fail to be specific)

Just tone it down a little, alright?

saabserb
I have labeled Brightwell as vultures and predators in a number of comments to the previous posts and have never got this reaction. We have also been calling GM names just seeing a little piece of puzzle. Maybe that is completely rational business decision. But feeling that we as SAAB fans have these days we could and want to express freely, which I am thankful for. Honestly I don’t think that my opinion matters to Brightwell or anyone else in this process so why would we be afraid to label them? I would be happy if they prove that I… Read more »
rune
I did not notice your other comments. GM have a history. We know quite a bit more about them than we know about Brightwell. EIB is more of a mystery as they rarely (if ever) say anything, but they have yet to explain why it mattered to them who bought the property. (apparently it stopped mattering when it was too late for the property deal alone to get the production rolling again) Their actions have directly damaged Saab. Brightwell OTOH has not done anything to hurt Saab. AFAICT Brightwell appear to want to help (and turn a profit while doing… Read more »
saabserb
Rune, mu last comment on this theme: I will respect the policy and will not use the names on the potential candidates. My will give my last reflection, if I may: 1. True that Brightwell haven’t done any damage to SAAB but potentially can big time! As any other who acquires SAAB and doesn’t have money and realistic plans. 2. This site has been, beside the best source of information, a good place for personal reflections and even for expressing different feelings. Calling names is one of them. 3. Personally I don’t believe in love/hate feelings in big business like… Read more »
kochje

One message; get rid of the biggest auto car manufacturer in the world; GM.
They did sell 9.03 million cars last year and do not want to give anyone else a license anymore.
Thank god; at least there will be other cars on the planet that do not all work with the technology of the biggest car manufacturer in the world.
Saabb was and should be unique; so get rid of GM and let Saab go his own way, or if needed work with companies with a normal business ethic.

MrTinkertrain

Agree. And if the worst happens I will never ever buy a GM product even it is a cupholder or a pen.

TurboLamko

Saab will make it hopefully 😀

I won’t buy GM products anymore, even if Saab will be alive i won’t!! NEVER!!!!

Ken H

Well this was an easy one already 2 years ago. I don’t see any reason to buy anything from GM, now or later.

900 classic cab

TurboLamko

Never EVER!!!

I started hating GM already in early 2009, way ahead before Saab’s problems when they killed Pontiac!!

Toby K

Here in the UK they are not doing so well, i’d say Ford have the edge now and when I think about who actually drives a Vauxhall/Opel I honestly can think of no-one I know-my constant bitching about GMAC’s sub prime lending issues or the fact that if you see a car with its headlight out it’ll be an Astra, and of course how they tried to kill Saab (twice) must have worked. I really hope the intelligent Chinese get a sense of GM/SAIC as compared with the potential of Youngman.

TurboLover

Youngman seems to have understood this already. I do not trust Brightwell anymore since they have stated that they have had good contacts with GM, not true… hmmm…
Youngman FTW!

Rachel up!

Karl Ask

GRIFFIN UP,RACHEL UP!!! GO SAAB GOOO !!!

TurboLamko

Youngman knows how to do it, they have the experience 😀

Youngman UP
Rachel UP

Mark
GM continues to be an obstructionist as expected. It really is time for the Swedish government to get tough with GM and say that if a bidder comes up with a decent offer for Saab, with reasonable guarantees in place to protect GM’s precious IP, then GM will have to agree. Otherwise face sanctions. This can begin with the Swedish government simply refusing to buy any GM product. Other governments in Europe can tackle Microsoft so the Swedish government should be able to take on GM. GM’s obstructionist actions that threaten to finally make thousands unemployed should not be tolerated.… Read more »
phermansson

Dont expect anything like that from our government. They are occupied with selling out all our common tax-payed assets here…

Mark

Then they’d rather have the unemployment they get from not being assertive.

ivo 71

I doubt GM would be enormously impressed by the Swedish government ‘getting tough’ wih them, even if SweGov would be prepared to do something about keeping 10.000 Swedes at work. Which they demonstrably aren’t.

Ivo

rune

The US Treasury Dept still owns 33% of GM? Couldn’t SweGov at least have a chat with the Americans and ask them kindly to extend a helping hand?

Mr Cain says GM are protecting the shareholders. Well… We should talk to them in that case.

Mark

By itself the Swedish government getting tough with GM won’t do a lot I agree, but if this was a part of a multi pronged attack that swayed public opinion against GM it would certainly help.

It’s time the Swedish government made some gesture. All it has shown thus far is incompetence.

baas900i

Swedish government has been asleep at the wheel for a long time now.

bpsorrel

News like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16643790 makes me want to spit!

Clear now that GM wants to badge engineer the 9-5 and 9-4X for themselves and probably never intended to let a reborn Saab have them.

alwaysSaab

This is essentially my worries. GM is going to say NO anything touches on its IP. So the only way is to go round it like what Youngman is going to do. When that is done, we can tell GM to go fly kite.

Trued

Dear American citizens,
Please talk to Your Congressman/Senator/President
Socialized/governmental owned controlled company GM acts very negatively towards fighting for its life car maker SAAB. Putting 3500 skilled swedish workers out of jobs and endangering the economic structure of a region.

Baracuda

Not to forget how much tax payed money is wasted!

TurboLamko

+1 to Baracuda
And + 1 to Trued also!

kochje

Hi Trued, this is indeed good but someone her said ( Markac I believe) that it is also time for the Swedish government to get tough with GM.
And that is something the Swedish people must do; write to the government and ask them to wake up.

hans h

The swedish government getting tough with GM. I don’t think so. The cowards are only acting tough against poor or sick people.
And of course the industry, including Saab.

Rolf Hägg

If they ever had that option, which they clearly do not, they should have done something to save this situation a long time ago. I wonder how much pride the country actually has in its most iconic brand, doesn’t seem like too much from this side of the pond.

xelav

Clearly that brightwell is not the right partner if they also don’t get the IP . Only 9 3 might work for youngman , not for the Turks . Can’t wait for more news tomorrow…

saabluster
Little confused at why what James Cain said is being taken as they will not license to anybody. At least looking at the quote provided here that is not what he said. “- We are not in discussions with anyone about Saab and we will not license the technology to some buyers, says James Cain.” He said they would not license to some not all. That means some people they will not license to but others they might. Just because they are not in talks with anyone does not mean that is on their end. It could just be nobody… Read more »
kochje

just drop GM; it does not even make sense to continue to discuss this anymore.

74StingSaab

TurboLover

Here is the original quote in Swedish from svd.se

“– Vi är inte i diskussioner med någon om Saab och vi kommer inte att licensiera tekniken till NÅGON köpare, säger James Cain. ”

The Swedish word “någon” can sometimes mean “some” and sometimes mean “any”. This time it means “any”. So we were only a bit lost in translation… it should have said:

“we will not license the technology to any buyer”

kochje

So that is clear; GM does not want to have any legal obligation anymore against a company which acquires Saab.
So let it please be the opposite as well; Saab has no obligations whatsoever against GM.

phermansson

Feels like Mr Cain said the same thing last week, or was it the week before that? And Brightwell says they are talking to GM. Is Cain the new Bagdad Bob, living in his own little world?

lasses

GM – Bad business practice all over the world.

In the future, I will harm them where I can. Personally I will never buy a GM car again. I will do all I can to convince my friends and relatives to stay away from GM. And I will spread the message about their bad business practice whenever there is an opportunity to do this.

Rolf Hägg

You better get a large mic. They just surpassed Toyota and are back on top. They can care less about us and our never wanting to buy a car from them. They are too big to care about anyone and they show it.

MrTinkertrain

I never ever thougt that I would praise Volkswagen Group but take a look at the brands what they have now. They made almost all of htem successful, they never obstructed any of their brands intentionally without doubt . And notice that they have problems with Seat but they are not seem to sell it.
And compare with GM.

bengtp

I don’t know how far they have come with the development of the different components for the next 9-3 but would it be possible to use some of these components to replace GM-components in current 9-3?

akis96

Hmm my personal don’t-buy-list is getting longer:

Don’t buy any Continental Tires again (for first buying the Austrian Brand Semperit (inventor of winter tires), receiving lot’s of subsidies an closing the profitable factory down as soon as they could and then moving the machines to eastern europe.

GM for screwing Saab. The sad part – I really liked GM Trucks a few years ago and my girl friend has an Opel…

Tilley

Uh-oh, dilema: Gislaved are part of the Continental group.

Allan B

I thought Continental stopped the actual manufacture of tyres in Gislaved a few years ago? I have driven past the factory many times in the past decade and witnessed its closure and then rebirth with new companies using the space instead.

How much money did Saab Automobile invest in development and tooling of the 9-5 and 9-4? And now the company that rises from the ashes can’t even build these cars.
I see one HUGE lawsuit coming. Costs + lost profits + interest = a lot of cash. YM could use that money to put the SAAB brand back on the map with some mighty World Cup, Winter Olympics, Golden League, British Open, Wimbledon, Icy Hockey World Championships and Super bowl adds for the next 10 years.
They will need to build a second factory in THN as a result.

In your face G.

kochje

Like that; hope it will happen as you describe……

saabo

The new Saabs that are available here in Sweden right now are owned by GM AC. If I buy a new Saab, that means that I will support mother GM which feels wrong. On the other hand I would like to support the dealership, so how should one do???

kochje

In my opinion the new Saabs belong to the assets of the company or, if with dealers, are assets of the one who purchased these.
I do not see how GM could pretend ownership of these Saab cars.

saabo

I talked to the sales guy at ANA Trollhättan last weekend, and he confirmed that GM´s fincance company owned the cars that were new. I do not know why, and it´s probably only here in Sweden, but it´s quite ironic.

I tend to do as Phermansson suggests, and go for an old demo car instead.

Martin T16s

As an ex dealer in the UK it is part of the franchise dealer network agreement that all dealer car funding is provided by GMAC which means that new cars are essentially funded by GMAC. When our dealership closed all new and indeed used cars were then taken back by GMAC and will be remarketed by them.

phermansson

Buy a used one?

rune

I think you are thinking of “GMAC”, now known as “Ally Financial”.

Most is owned by the US government. GM takes a small share:
Motors Liquidation Company (5.9%)
General Motors (4%)

So… What you need to do is to buy 96% of that Saab. Leave the mirrors or something behind. Problem solved.

saabo

Thank´s for the clarification. I think I can live with the 4%.
😉

theSandySaab
Yesterdays news… Still, comparing with Ford and Volvo and Geely, the difference is amazing. GM behaves like a spoiled preschooler. We won’t share anything with anyone… How in the world could Saab be ANY threat to GM with global sales of over 9 million??? But maybe it is better this way, to get rid of all GM IP and possibly get a clean start…. Nevertheless, I am amazed to see a lot of Saab DNA in most GM cars. Everything from SAHR II, engine control and turbo, the XWD system, etc… A lot of this and more was at least… Read more »
David-SAAB

+1,000,000

Saab/YM must block GrandMom from using the eXWD system in the future no matter what!

Chris Carrier

Deeply dissapointed that this assures the death of the current 9-5 and 9-4. Still, the value of my vehicles is enhanced by the public seeing the Saab company continue. I bought the 9-4 knowing it might be a completely unique, one year vehicle, but the 9-5? That just seems unecessary.

I know that GM has postured in absolutes before, especially two years ago when they were “winding down” Saab with no interest in alternatives.

Chris Carrier

Well, now wait. If the author’s assertion is correct, (“And even if GM says they won’t license technology it still does not mean that they won’t sell parts to Saab.”) then a new owner could continue to build the car in its current form. They just couldn’t continue using the tech in newly developed vehicles. Hoping, anyway.

Bravada from GMI

This is very very worrying. It confirms none of the suitors even picked up the phone to call GM. They should be the ones hearing this (or something else) from GM directly, not us through newswires.

I am sure there is a difference between what a spokesman says to the press, and what decision makers at GM would tell to a seriously interested party that would make them an offer. But that confirms no such offer was made.

Alexandros

I ‘ve been listening to the song “Release me” when driving to the Outside Saab Meeting in Stuttgart, Germany and thought, why in God’s name is GM behaving like that…

Alexandros
Martin
I really DISPISE gm the are the most pathetic company on the planet. Once again they wait until the last minute before a pressconference so the can scare of the buyers that wan´t to start up saab again. Well gm the thing is that youngman has a plan that doesen´t envolve you, aaahhhh what are you going to do now? Saab will with youngman´s help come on you like DAVID vs goliat, and guess what goliat won´t win 🙂 It is alright gm you can have the 9-5 and the 9-4x to rebadge to som other like buik, becouse that… Read more »
Daniel B

Tjis morning I had a conversation with the tarmac in my office parking lot.. It was actually more engaging then trying to have a conversation with GM I thought…

Toby K
This is not news-if GM can prevent Saab from surviving by any means they will, I am surprised to see people including SU commentators still thinking well “maybe GM would still sell Saab parts” No, no, no. the next iteration of Saab will have to be stand alone and independant of GM and that would also mean even if not explicit or implicit that the parts would not be sourced or be allowed to be sourced via GM. so that leaves you with a 9 year old partial 9-3. bits could be gathered from Hirsch or any other saab non-OEM… Read more »
David-SAAB

Unfortunately I agree. With that much money at stake I can only hope the long term plan is concrete with YM.

Rico
The main key to definitly understand the situation and actual “relation” between GM and Saab is this sentence: “They see Saab as a threat, a danger for their own brands, which is annoying and charming at the same time.” This is a ridiculous behavior for GM. It fits to the actual GM decision about Opel, to sell cars with the Opel brand only in Europe and a very few other countries…I know very well some countries in South America and a know how many people how made good experience in the past with cars from Opel. They would by a… Read more »
David-SAAB

Opel cars have historically been sold in Australia as rebadged Holden cars (Australian car maker owned by GM) later this year Opel is being launched in Australia under its own separate brand, as an upmarket European brand to compete directly with Volkswagen, Peugeot, Renault etc. I am somewhat skeptical because Opel has always been known as a European Holden just like Vauxhall in the UK. GM are quickly being known for their bad business decisions.

mr_ebbot

Am I the only one that is curious about the 5 billion bid? If the creditors claims on Saab is only 2 Billion. Why the extra 3 billion? Is it because the value of the parts is bigger?

Anyone with som insight?

TurboLamko

This might be so they also can pay the creditors at the same time…

mr_ebbot

You mean that they will resolve the EIB loan also?

Makes sense, it is a very bad loan and with that out of the way they can have less insight in the business during the restart.

Wonder if GM would alow Saab to produce the current 9-5 but restrict the countries they can market the car?

If the retail network only has products so it can survive for 5 year period it would be much easier to make the business work.

Massimo

produce only the 9.3 may not be a prolem if YM decided to produce and market the cars in Europe which is already produced in China with their brand.It could be a opportunity for dealers waiting for the new saab

Wim Maes

Is GM really going to block this again??? Do we need to occupy that facebook wall again like in november?

I was owner of an opel insignia, witch I let go last year. I do not want to have one nut that belongs to the GM umbrella.

I’m already planning to buy the next generation Saab (phoenix) 900 to put next to my classic 900. CANT WAIT!

Mark

By a GM spokesman actually saying that GM won’t license technology to anyone, it has now put itself in a position where it can directly attacked. Let the fun begin!

100%Saab

I have said it before: GM is a lost cause. Big Ed is no longer the GM CEO. Ed is the one who sold Saab. The new guy(GM CEO) does not care about anything but money.

Just a thought.

Mark
GM is not a lost cause, you just have to know how to attack it. Getting angry on facebook achieves very little. Instead you have to damage GM’s core credibility and it’s public image. That will definitely cost it money. Just like what happened two years ago when public opinion swayed against GM. This made GM sell Saab when it’s quite obvious that it would’ve preferred to liquidate it. Now GM has to be convinced that Joe Public will see it in a very bad light if it doesn’t agree to let potential buyers of Saab continue making cars. GM… Read more »
arne

james.cain@xx.xxx. Tell him what we think about that

Remember that he is not the one making the decisions. Stay polite, gentlemen! /till72

arne

Let us occupy that facebook wall again like and send mailto:[email protected] Let the fun begin

David-SAAB

This really only confirms what we already knew. Gm were never going to play along.
I only hope the current 9-3 can still be used as YMcertainly have the funds to get cracking on the Phoenix pronto!

Rachel up!

900jubileum

This is yesterdays news and not suprising. GM:s point of view was clear even before the bankruptcy. They did not want to licence to anyone before the bankruptcy so why would they change their mind now? Youngman now this and are now try to find a solution for this. But as usual, Swedish media use this as another disadvantage of Saabs future and it is of course very sad.

Ricky

GM again? We all know what GM loves to Saab. Saab will survive without GM and we will be HAPPIER.

ArchDandy

Hell Yeah!

Eagle63

Be GM-Free; buy a 9000 (if you can still find a good one..) and keep it till the new non-GM 900 becomes available !

XC9000

I’m doing just that; keep on driving my 9K till the all new 900 arrives…

XC9000

And IF that never happens I’ll eventually buy another Swedish car, but never ever a GM product…

VikingAir

+9 !
99,90,900,9000: proud history, timeless design!, equivalent to the Viking Air legacy fleet….

ivo 71

I’ll just keep on driving my 9000 as long as I can. Period.

Ivo

nordican

Good plan…!
They’re able to outlive any GM product anyway….

Martin T16s

Just coming to the end of a refurbishment of my Black 9000 Aero. Cant wait to have it back on the road so I can lay the Classic 900 up for a bit.

i. ant. kal.

sounds like a good plan!
i love my white ng 900 cab.. (i know its a GM) i love to take good care of it…
but i am planing on buying a 9000 aero or 900 soon…
they are just awesome…
i don’t care what happens… there are enough saabs out there…my second car is going to be a Saab
no matter what…
just find the right one… and take care of it…
ivcho

XC9000

Great; if you find a nice 9000 in good shape, buy it; they’re getting really hard to find..

DUTCH900C

The first thing i thought about when i read the article:
What the f*ck and what an arrogance from GM!

Saabheart
Wait, Volkswagen is the majority owner of Scania now? I never realized that. Interesting. Just a quick break from the GM bashing which really gets me down. I don’t know why all the readers here nowadays are always bashing GM. I’m not happy about what they are doing but it is obviously working since they turned the company around (at least for the time being). The automotive industry is the largest most competitive industry in the world and for some reason everyone is surprised that GM is acting this way. It always has been and always will be about money.… Read more »
DUTCH900C

That’s a very interesting point you hav wrote and (perhaps) that is indead the reason why GM is acting the way they are doing.

XC9000

I don’t think every other big car company would have treated Saab the way GM did. Take a look at Ford / Volvo; that was quite the opposite of what happened at GM / Saab…
GM just seems to be one of those companies you better stay away from, we learned it the hard way I guess….

Timeshifter

Ford for example Ford allows anyone to use some of their engines and/or drivetrains in cars for small fee (many small/local sports car manufacturers have their engines), Toyota as well…
Not everyone is douchebag…

Dejjo

Why are they such assh*les?? Makes me sad and makes me angry.

Today i got some very bad news, my father had is eye on a new 9-3 griffin, but because of everything that has happened he has decided to buy a Opel Astra 🙁 Damn you GM.

Martin T16s

So why on earth did he go buy a GM product?

Dejjo

Well I guess he has lost faith in the company as a result of the bankruptcy. He really wanted a Griffin, has owned in the past 2 9-3´s and one 9-5. But in his defense he did have a previous generation Astra for a short while and it wasn´t totally horrible.

I have tried to make him wait or look at another SAAB but no-go  I´m not going to be able to look him in the eye anymore.

Toby K

That deserves a high five, in the face, with a chair.

ArchDandy

I belive in YM. SAAB need a new start, from the beginning. I am just so tired of to hear anything from GM and NO is just an echo. If YM is villing to invest in Saab and restart the facorty, It will be great.
Built up Saab again from the beginning, but during the time produce 9-3.

This company has to survive in some way. With 9-5 or not.

kochje

Agree with you.
Just hope that the model of the 9-5, which is one of the nicest cars driving around these days, as well as the 9-5 SC will be used by YM for future developments.

davidsblumberg

Well done GM, now you’ve really hit a new low. Didn’t think that was possible. What a pathetic excuse of a company, living off vultured technology developed by hard-working Swedes. The Swedish government should seize all of Saabs assets, sell it to Youngman and FUGM.

orion

At least a clear view from GM, so lets all forget GM for now and in the future.

Anthony Halpin

Oh dear. I’ve been sitting on the fence so far but it looks like GM’s true colours are showing … as in they did a slow “Corporate raid”.

The apparent protectionism is laughable … it NEVER works!

baas900i

twists and turns, current Swedish government disabled and placing bets on financial services? does the silent Swedish investor exist? is gm ip/tech worth having ? I have never been to Sweden but as an outsider it looks messy… the Swedish government will bring zero pressure to bear on gm, China will exert the pressure on gm in the form of increased tariffs… look to the German auto giants on how to deal with open socialism…

Rolf Hägg

Has YM ever said anything about reinstating warranties with their bid? Or are us 2010, 11 and 12 owners stuck holding the bag? Too soon? Just wondering if I should buy an aftermarket warranty.

saaburban
My educated guess is that the new Phoenix platform is infact à modified old 9-3 platform, so all this while the new 93 in waiting has been the old 9-3. À clever “1 step back, 2 steps forward” strategy. To produce the older 9-3 will actually be good as it can use some of the technology developed for the next generation. I’m sure this will mean BMW engines and other goodies. Some parts in the Phoenix might be GM licensed and this will mean som more work / more engineers in Trollhattan, improving, modifying technology to work better with how… Read more »
Allan B

That is a very well educated guess, and analysis, in my opinion. After all, Saabs are experts at this game. They came up with a future-proof platform in 1967 … and were still using it in a modified guise in 1994!