Update II: Museum cars; scrutineering available

From one of my recent scrueineering jobs in the Saab Car Museum. Used this picture of the 99 Turbo rally to replicate its rear axle, Porsche brakes, exhaust system etc.

Early this morning I spoke to the lawyer at Delphi who is working with the Museum issue.
He told me quite frankly that it is all about selling the Museum cars for as much as possible. That is the duty of the lawyers in this bankruptcy situation. Nothing specific information was given he referred to the documents on their website. I finished the conversation with a gut feeling that they are desperately working on getting things sold.

If anyone here on SaabsUnited is interested in any of the cars in the museum and can not make it over to Sweden by friday noon. I can for sure help out if You want to have any objects scrutineered, I can check the car out, take additional photos etc. Guess I will have to take a vacation day etc. and charge a fee. But what is SaabsUnited all about well to unite the Saab world.

Please read my post from yesterday about the museum cars. http://saabsunited.saabklubben.se/2012/01/the-important-thread-on-cars-of-the-saab-museum.html
Today the lawyers have posted pictures and rules of the sale on their webpage. http://www.delphi.se/filearchive/5/5935/Bilder_pictures%20Saab%20Car%20Museum%202012-01-15.pdf

How to bid document here: http://www.delphi.se/filearchive/5/5926/120113-PM%20anbudsgivare%20saabmuseet.pdf

The cars can be looked at after setting an appointment with ex. curator Mr. Bäckström. Bid must be in at the latest this friday at noon.

hughw
Someone else may have brought this up before me, so if so, ignore. Does anyone know why the lawyers are selling off the museum cars ahead of taking bids on the whole company? Obviously, the museum is iconic and special and stands apart to some degree, but legally isn’t it just a part of Saab as a whole, which they are trying to sell in one piece? The only thing that I can think of is that they are taking bids not only for the museum cars, but also, everything else; the stamping presses, the office desks, whatever. Then when… Read more »
MK

What I have read (rumors?) Is that there is no money left in the estate so they must sell in order to continue operation.
Although everything is still so, a certain heating and electricity needs to be paid regularly.

hans h

Was it not something that Consilium was supposed to do? Have I missed something?

hans h

Or is it Innovatum?

MarkS

I’m a bit confused by all of this as well. The museum is being treated as an entity separate from the Saab factory? This is all very distressing!

Angelo V.

It’s disheartening to see a carefully comprised collection broken up like this; it truly is. Once these cars are separated, they’ll probably never be shown in a collection again. I guess the only thing to keep in mind is that if somehow, someway, Saab can be kept together as an entity to manufacture cars—-and the brand is intact—-if we get a buyer for THAT, it trumps the bad news of a museum being broken up. I’m keeping my eyes on the prize—-which is a company to step in and save Saabs FUTURE, not their past.

Red J

Although, I would love if all(most) of those cars are kept in a public museum in the future.

kochje

All forms are in Swedish language so do the lawyers think the buyer comes from their home-land?

Ralph

Not sure how well known this situation already is in Sweden, but maybe the King (as Saab lover) still has to be informed? Also depends on if he’s the kind of man to do things like buying a museum, of course.

Ryan D. Gamber

Is there an English version of these forms?

kanundrum

Wish I could bid and buy easily kind of like ebay style haha!

gustaf

Heartbreaking as it seems, I’m hoping there is a reason for this. I’m still hoping for a buyer to show up.

Marco

After looking at these cars and seeing that most of them are either prototypes or otherwise not able to be registered I have to say that many of these will be ending up as parts when sold like this… They have no value to anyone separately… This is sad…

Ryan D. Gamber

I hope this isn’t the case. I see this as an opportunity for private collectors to pick up the vehicles and continue to display them.

Greg Abbott

The speed and singular focus on Sweden prevent these cars from being sold at their natural value. It would take some time and an international effort for these cars to find the right buyers, at the right price.

I hope the administrators are doing this not as a serious effort to sell cars, but as a due diligence check against the value of the cars so as to justify the Innovatum bid for the whole museum.

kochje

That would be nice…….

900jubileum

It would be really nice! I have also wondered a little bit over the short bidding time. Let us hope for the best!

KoGa

Did I miss something? Excuse my ignorance but I did not see any news confirming that Innovatum would bid for the assets of the museum. Where does this info coming from?

100%Saab

Thank you. Very sad. I won’t be bidding on any of the museum cars, but I did save the pdf. Again, thank you for the pdf.

900jubileum

Let us hope for the initiative from Innovatum, Trollhättan and the region. As it stands in the documents there is a chance to sell the entire museum and also that the bidding may be suspended if the recievers says that.

Steve Parsons

A friend of mine donated the 750GT to the museum back in 1987 or 88. I see he is listed as donating it in the listing of the cars at the museum. When donating it there was a contract that stated he’d get the car back if Saab went out of business. Is there a phone number and/or email address he can use to ask about this??

MK

in this document http://www.delphi.se/filearchive/5/5926/120113-PM%20anbudsgivare%20saabmuseet.pdf there are a sentence:

“More information on bidding / sales process can be submitted by
receivership at the request via e-mail bo.stefan.arleij @ wistrand.se with
copy to gun.ternulf @ wistrand.se.”

Maybe you can try that.

spacy

Steve Parsons

In a funny way, this could be good news, as, they cannot sell anything that does not belong to them, may just delay things, till they know actual ownership.

Anyone that has donated, should get in touch with the administrators ASAP….

derek

Would someone translate this pdf to English or transfer it to html so I can google translate it? I am interested in buying one car (not the most expensive/rare car but one of the cars that may have lesser demand). If Saab continues as a company, I would be willing to give the car back as long as they allow me to sit in my own car once every few years.

derek

Never mind. I figured out how to translate it.

Wishing the museum all the best.

900jubileum

Yes, let us really hope that the museum can be preserved as the heritage it is.

spacy

I made a suggestion yesterday in Trued’s last post to raise some money, but not alot of interest.

Perhaps Innovatum would accept donations to help them bid for the whole lot.

I found this; http://saabworld.net/f85/saab-museum-news-24829/
with some email links to them at the bottom.

Worth a try….!!

900jubileum

I think that the best alternative is to give our support to Innovatum. Of course it would be very sad if the museum is splitted up but I think it is the best alternative to be united and continue work for save the museum togheter.

Jeff Shore

VM 420/421
How much do you think these would sell for? Can you get under car pics of the 4WD 9000??

I’d love to pick up both of these cars – wonder how much shipping would be. I know the 85′ I could import – the 92′ would be questionable I think.

Daniel B

Seriously thinking about putting a bid in for the Aero X, although I’d rather see the museum intact… but how much on earth might one bid be…? 20000 $ is manageable but I’m pretty certain they already have gotten a much higher bid… hmm… hope Innovatum may get the museum intact …

Ryan D. Gamber

I would predict the Aero X to go for 75-100,000 USD. I’d encourage you to submit a bid for anything you may be interested in, but that one will likely have the most interest. I hope they release a list of winning bids when it is complete.

spacy

Daniel B

If you are serious & can afford to bid, then put in the bid anyway, after all what have you got to loose?.

Daniel B

@Trued: my thoughts exactly… a serious offer from me (which would be approx 200kkr) will not reach far…
I assume they are Way over a million dollars already…:) man kan ju få drömma:)

Daniel B

Still hoping for a solution with the collection intact though.

KoGa

Trued, I would be interested in some of the not so rare, but still nice newer cars. My funds are very limited and I could only bid on one probably, but I would still like to have some more information and photos if possible. Just in case you end up in the museum, let me know.

Does anybody think it would be a good idea to collect all who are willing to bid, how much and on which car, just to have a general idea?

bender
Wow, I can’t believe this. These care need to remain together, in one piece as representative of the history and essence of SAAB. As much as I wish I could have such cars for myself, I wouldn’t dare see this as an opportunity to have a toy. In fact, I’d feel pretty guilty I must say. I would only buy a car if I had the money and the interest was there to bring them all back together. What a world we live in. Those people really don’t give a crap. As I say, in business there are no feelings.… Read more »
KoGa

We agree that they must remain together. However it may not happen, and if it doesn’t, I rather own a piece of history than let it disappear.

spacy

Everyone:

I have emailed Innovatum, asking how we can contribute [or if we can].
When I get a response, I will post any info on SU.

bender

Please do so. Thanks for getting that out

Ryan D. Gamber

FYI – The conditions of the sale state that the bids must be mailed to them by Friday, but they have just confirmed that they will accept signed bids as email attachments up to the deadline.