A Real Saab Story

This is in no way a breaking news for most, but for this dealer and customer, it’s is a great news story. On a monthly basis for the past year since Saab’s re-introduction to Canada, I have been in contact with Amedeo Palazzo, General Manager of Saab of Edmonton. We mostly talk about business and the state of Saab. Since I came to Saabs United, he has called me more to see what I know because in Canada, we don’t get a lot of updates. Saab of Edmonton had the only black on black full load 9-5 Aero with rear seat DVD package, just an incredible car with a list price of $72,319. This car is to die for, just an incredibly beautiful work of art. The other day Amedeo called me and said guess what? Naturally I said, what? He proceeded to tell me that they had just sold this car to a customer that was in love with it. This customer was so in love with it that they provided this letter:

Les (left) with Sales Manager Mark Jones (right)

A Real Saab Story:

Here I am on Valentine’s Day 2012, picking up my new Saab 9-5 Aero. A love affair of many years, this is my third 9-5. My wife also drives her second 9-3 Aero. After a trial separation as Saab was in and out of controversy, I moved back to Saab with a 9-3 of my own. While the current state of affairs is far from certain, I am certain that this is the car for me for some time to come. My new friend Amedeo at Saab of Edmonton & I look forward to a lasting relationship and many valentines to share in the future.

My plate LES 695 says it all.

Thanks

Les

His plate shows his love for the car, Les has a 6cylinder 9-5 (LES 695). The customer also opted for an upgraded set of wheels. This is for sure the only 2011 9-5 of it’s kind on the street’s of Canada. Congrats to Les and Saab of Edmonton on this purchase, I have no doubt that you will enjoy this car for years to come and your purchase and comments show that Saab is something that becomes a part of you especially after as you say “a trial separation”, you came back.

E

Those wheels look fantastic on that Aero. Thanks for sharing the story and picture, Jason.

900 classic cab

+1, the wheels are amazing !

Bob Conolty

I could not be more happy for him. What a great story! Thanks for sharing. Long live SAAB!!!

kochje

Smithy

That car is a pure legend! Treat it well! I found an high-end 9-5 in Sweden as well, will buy it in a few years from whoever will own it.. ;D

dcpattie

I love those Edge wheels. Hopefully not fitted with summer tires since you’re in Edmonton.

MikeSf

Stunning machine!

Congratulations!

Dmain
I am impressed. Les: you ARE the man! I think one of the things the new Saab company did not fully appreciate is that die-hard Saab owners tend to be clever and “thrifty”. I count myself one of them in that I like to buy a great car, own it a long long time, and then get another great car. If you buy instead of lease and you keep the car a long time, the total cost of ownership is lower. In contrast, some of my “BMW and Lexus” -type” pals will lease a new car for three years, and… Read more »
Mike Baughan

You could always keep your 2009 9-3 and get an additional 2015 or a 2018 9-3 (if they’re still called that).

I’ve got a 2007 9-3, but as soon as it is economically feasible, I intend on getting either a 9-3 (Phoenix) or a 9-5. Admittedly that will probably be a while from now though.

Angelo V.

As long as I can get parts and service and as long as I don’t have a cripping repair bill for some major component—-my 2004 9-5 wagon will be in my garage or in my driveway. I marvel at what a great fit it is for me every time I drive it. So far, after 7 1/2 years of ownership—-it’s been trouble-free. It is as tight and spirited as the day I drove it home from the dealership.

SaabKen

Man, I *almost* want to move to Edmonton now ……. 😉

Way to go, Les. Hope you find out about SCWC and join us online:

rune

That is one heckuva car! Congratulations Les! I harbor absolutely no doubts that you will be very happy with your new ride.

Coke is it

Nice car Les! You will be very happy with it 🙂

Mike Baughan

That is a BEAUTIFUL car. Might there be a possibility for some interior pics?

I keep imagining how amazing the new 9-3 replacement would be if it had the current 9-5 interior. <>

Joseph

Beautiful car! 72 grand!? Someone has more money than brains!

SaabKen

That’s “list price”, btw. He prolly walked out the door with a dent in his wallet closer to Cdn$55K

Heck if I had $72K I’d buy a 9-5 Aero ! And I have a brain (I think …..)

David-SAAB

That’s not fair Joseph. Who are we to comment on how a person spends their money anyway.

dezzer

agree….joseph out of order

Joseph

You guys are hilarious. That’s a pretty common saying, I was not judging the man (a man who I’ve never met). I was simply commenting on the gargantuan sticker price, I think even 55k is way, way too high. Regardless, it is a very beautiful car and probably one of only 4 or 5 NG 9-5s in Alberta.

alwaysSaab

Good and decisive move, Les, congratulations, you are the man. Long live Saab.

ryanonsrc

Congratulations! … and yes the rims are great. The high-end NG 9-5s are real head-turners. In particular, the trim around the fog-lights really look awesome.

David-SAAB

Angelo V.
It’s a really beautiful machine and it’s an emotional lift for all of us to read something like this. It reminds me of something: My family, along with thousands of others, were victims of a big flood in 1972 (Hurricane Agnes, northeastern Pennsylvania). There was river mud all over the streets, in our homes, ON our homes—-and our yards were torn up from the flooding. My uncle, who lived a street over from us, had a friend who did landscaping. As a gesture of friendship, that landscape guy re-sodded my uncle’s large back yard—-suddenly, there was bright green grass growing—-while… Read more »
David-SAAB

Great story to share!

Galway-Saab

What a great story . Thanks .

saabman

I was driving home from work late last night and I a new 9-5 passed me. It was dark so all I could really see was the bar of red light across the back (and a Charles River Saab sticker), but it looked really great. I wanted to catch a front view as well, but I couldn’t catch up with him (not that I tried too too hard). I hope the driver didn’t get a ticket! It’s too bad there aren’t more of these machines around. Congrats Les!

saabfanatic

Congrats from Ottawa/Canada. That’s one hluve machine you’ve got Les…hope you drive by the capital city sometime so I can take some pictures of that beauty!

JP

It really is an uplifting story. I saw one on the highway (RT 95) last week and it was stunning in motion…

Peter, Sweden

I can’t understand why more people don’t buy the Edge-rims, they look stunning! I’ve been searching for a used 9-5 Aero since december (picking up my Turbo 6 next Friday!) and ONE of maybe 40 cars had the Edge-rims, while all other had the Turbines.

fuzzi

here another real story about the 9-5 II:

M.A.

I don’t care what this guy writes in his anti SAAB website. I tested the NG 9-5, the car is awesome.

Aah the infinite wisdom of this anti-Saab site. I honestly can’t understand ”car guys” behaving like spoiled teenage girls when judging the NG 9-5? So, the MY10 GM type plastic parts don’t have a perfect fit and finish… Who the f cares? My family buys cars to get from place A to B. The difference is HOW you get there, not how the interior panel sits as long as it’s quiet. How many have their house in perfect aesthetic harmony? My god. I just noticed there’s a crack between the freezer and the cabin next to it. I must slit… Read more »
lab shala

If 9-5 would have better refinement, with its power , look and safety would bit MB E Class ,BMW 535i and Audi A6. If Saab survives it would take few more years to get there.
I paid 38k for my 2011 model 9-5 Aero, very happy for what I paid. Similar BMW 535i would cost me 84k here in Canada

3cyl

Well stated RS. If a low volume manufacturer like SAAB builds a car as good as the 9-5 and uses a (relatively) modest interior to make the numbers work, that is a small price to pay for having an interesting car that isn’t on every corner. A lot of the supposedly “luxurious” interiors in other cars are overdone anyway.

Baver

WARNING – To anyone who may be tempted to look at that site, my PC completely froze up after viewing a few pages-and I mean completely.

rune
Please do not post links to that site. This is another example of posting a bunch of gripes with no suggestions offered at all. Yes, e.g. the dashboard finish was a bit disappointing. What would this joker had done differently? This particular situation was publicly well known: When GM started the liquidation process December 2009, a number of suppliers threw in the towel. Among them was the supplier of that nice glass-finish dashboard fascia as shown in Frankfurt. It proved too expensive and complex to find a new supplier of that particular fascia, so they had to go with what… Read more »
3cyl

Your comments are too harsh Rune. It is an excellent site – for people who judge cars in the same way they evaluate double recliner sofas.

Howard Werden

That was a beautiful car. i sat in that when I had my 9-3 in for service. Every option from heads up display to a rack in the trunk. Gorgeous! Congratulations

Turbo9000

Congrats with the new Saab Les. There should be many more Saab’s in ‘the true north strong and free’ 😉

conkers

I just hope the noisy steering rack doesn’t manifest itself on this car….

They look good…

Conk

What Saab has a noisy steering rack?! The only noise I’ve ever experienced has been the strut bearing in the NG 9-3. Changed ones (250.000 miles ago) and been completely silent since.
In fact one of the reasons for us to buy Saabs has been the high quality power steering, but of course you can’t keep the same fluid in there for decades.

Congratulations Les, you own a 9-5 that is 99.5% perfect! LOVE those Edge alloys but to get that extra 0.5% it needs to be Arctic White. Having driven the Aero all I can say is I am jealous as hell.

🙂