James Cain: No discussions at the moment

Ttela talked to James Cain, the CIO of GM. We all got to know him as the guy who brought us the “no” to the deals Youngman and SWAN tried to get through. He was pretty strong stating that there are no discussions with Saab bidders at the moment despite they have been approached by some.

– It is reported that we are in discussions with Brightwell, but categorically, we do not discuss with them. We do not discuss with anyone, says GM’s CIO James Cain on Monday.

I would not want to get hard on Brightwell now because they stated they are in contact with GM. If something is going on behind the scenes it is nothing to talk about in public and maybe even subject to non-disclosure agreements. For any potential bidder it is crucial to know GM’s stance before they place a bid as this seriously affects the amount of investment that is needed. Not to discredit James Cain here but things regarding mergers and acquisitions activities just like those license agreements are mostly dealt with behind closed doors. And if you want to keep it secret you don’t tell your press guys. This happens all the time.

This is not to say I know what is going on there or not, it’s just to remind you to keep calm. There are many things that we do not know and as eager as we are to get news, no party in the has to disclose all details to us. Some things have to stay behind closed doors where they belong, even more in times like these. As the receivers stated there are still all potential bidders in the game and what Mr. Cain had to say did not sound like “no licensing to anyone” anymore. Take this as a good thing and stay optimistic.

janke

I wondering if saab is gone ,the phoenix platform can Gm take it and use it ore what?

Snowshoe

Only if they purchase it.
And Youngman have a non-exclusive license to use it.
How much the platform is worth without the guys and gals that have been working with the platform is hard to guess.

StefanH STHLM

He´s telling us that there´s NO discussions with Brightwell. Maybe they´re talking to VM.
Then he´s making a truthful statement, but still not lying.

As when he stated that there will be no more 9-4X built i Mexico and the tools are about to be dismantled.
In reality it opened up for the possibility of producing it anywhere else……

🙂

saabboy1

+1 I agree Victor is the one he is talking to. Lets hope this works out.

TurboLover
But if we have 6-7 bidders and the deal is to be closed in 14 days and nobody has talked to GM, mustn’t the interestyed parties calculate that they have no deal with GM? Can they have missed what happended to the Youngman deal last fall? My guess. Most bidders are sattisfied with: 1. A top modern production faciity in Europe 2. A brand with great herritage 3. Phoenix technology Then some say, that having “nothing” to produce the first 1,5 years would be expensive. Yes it would, but it would cost EVEN more to start WITHOUT: 1. A top… Read more »
phermansson

don’t be over optimistic, it will take 2,5 -3,5 years to get a re-engineered next gen 9-3 out on the market! it is in no way even close to finished!

TurboLover

OK, but that does not negate my overall argument, does it?

davidgmills

A brand with no dealers? What a joke.

TurboLover

y u no read what I wrote?

David-SAAB

Australia still has a solid dealership network for Saab, and after speaking with my local, their service department is booked 10 days in advanced. They can certainly wait it out according to them. Sure Australia’s market is relatively small, only 25 million people however, the Saab brand is still quite strong in Autralia.

Quijote

I don’t trust anything that comes out of Mr. Cain’s, or GM’s, collective mouth.

I am proud to announce that my girlfriend, who is an attorney and therefore has sufficient funds for this, declined purchasing a Cadillac CTS-V thanks to the context of GM’s misconduct towards SAAB. She didn’t get a Saab, but it was NOT a GM product. Small victory, but one nonetheless.

paul

Good to hear. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, so I am happy every time someone buys something other than GM. I understand protecting their business, but especially since they’re a company who was bailed out by the taxpayers (in order to save JOBS, not executive bonuses), I am very unhappy with GM’s conduct in regards to Saab.

Henrik B.

The same goes for me!
I’m getting a new company car (lease), in april. I was going to get an Opel Astra Stc. But after GM’s disgusting actions in the Saab matter, I’ve asked for a Ford instead.
And after discussing having snottet kid – we would then be 6 – we talked about getting a Chevrolet Orlando (korean built, but none the less money to GM). This option is now also off the table.
Sorry GM – YOUR LOSS!!

Cheers!

David-SAAB

Well done Henrik. It’s these actions that will ultimately teach GM a lesson. We the consumer have choices!

saabfanatic

She did the right thing – besides the fact that Goverment Motors builds them, who wants to buy car that resmebles a pimp cars anyway!

guy davidson

in America the Cadillac Escalade is the ultimate “pimp” car… the other cadillacs have the same lack of class.

Katsura

My boyfriend, who is not really a car guy, has been so angered by the GM attitude he has said to me he will not ever purchase a GM product. Which in Australia, means Holden, or other associated GM products.

Looks like we will move to the Ford camp – likely a Volvo.

BTG88

Katsura – Ford sold Volvo to the Chinese company Geely.

Katsura

It’s still got some Ford connections.

xlx

this doesn’t say too much. besides of no-trust-to-GM, even if they would be in talks with anyone, he can’t say “yes”. if he would say “no comment”, it’s the same as “yes”. So he has to decline.

hans h

I am just tired of GM. In all ways possible.
And that includes mr. James Pain.

96mn12

Humm… James Cain is the spokesman, not the CIO.

mnztr
We need to remember that you only tell your spokesman stuff you want to be made public. It is 100% possible that Brightwell has many powerful contacts, even through the Turkish govt. that are acting on their behalf to open doors. The fact is, we won’t know until something material happens. So I wish Brightwell the best of luck in cracking the GM code. It would be very sad indeed if such a wonderful car like the 9-5 Sportcombi is not built. There are soooooooo many lousy cars that are being built, to see an exceptional car thrown onto the… Read more »
philip

And Jaguar XF

The 9-5 is very good, but I suspect it will be one of the shortest lived production models of modern times, which is a pity, as I have one!

Wittendorff

Your luck 🙂

mnztr

It may seem like bad luck to be a N9-5 owner.. but imagine if you could only afford a Toyota Corolla…

Chris Carrier

If my car breaks down, I may feel unlucky… but I probably still wouldn’t trade it for any other.

Remco

mnztr,

Spot on, the 9-5NG doesn’t have much competition beyond the big German 3 and at the right price it would definately be a more attractive offering. I’d prefer one over the Germans any time 🙂

Chris Carrier

“we do not discuss with them. We do not discuss with anyone, says GM’s CIO James Cain”

This sounds like a translation, perhaps from english to swedish and back again? The odd use of “we do not dicuss…” makes me thing the subtlety of the message might be better understood if we could find the original english quote.

“We are not discussing the matter with them. We are not discussing it with anyone.” (suggests it literally means “we aren’t discussing it… right now.”)

“We don’t discuss the matter with them. We won’t discuss it with anyone.” (much worse)

Chris Carrier

meant “won’t” not “don’t” in my last suggestion there.

baas900i

off topic but there is money to made if you get it right… impressive results from Jaguar Land Rover http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9081671/Jaguar-Land-Rover-makes-559m-in-three-months.html

TurboLover

Congrats to them! And I must ad that the Evoque is an instant icon. In a terrible future with no Saabs, Land Rover would be one of the brands I would consider

guy davidson

clunkers.. no sophistication

saabdealer
This is pretty black and white. GM is not talking to ANYONE. They are not going to license the 9-4x or 9-5 to ANYONE. The $$ it will take to buy the company with NO models to sell (I say no models as I don’t think we can even use the current gen 9-3 platform) for 2 years is a business plan that would never pass top level management or a board of directors. The only hope is for a manufacturer who wants to acquire the dealer network for their product but this does nothing for the Saab brand and… Read more »
saabdealer

Furthermore, I don’t believe any of what Brightwell is saying. If there’s any shot at this, it lies with Mahindra and Mahindra. And they’re showing signs of pulling away.

Chris Carrier

“The only hope is for a manufacturer who wants to acquire the dealer network for their product but this does nothing for the Saab brand and the customers who helped prop the company up during the last 2 plus years (2010 and 2011 models). ”

Here, here. And I’m not going to be loyal to a new company that isn’t loyal to me,

StefanH STHLM

Adding :

ANYONE is NOT buying their cars either. Opel will soon end up down the drain, too.

Katsura

A shame, Mazda is 1 of the only 2 ‘interesting’ Japanese car makers. Mazda 6 is a good product.

It seems the general population likes to trade character for boring blandness to fit in with the rest of the sheeps.

David-SAAB

All Ford based cars. Mazda 1 shares platform with Fiesta and Mazda 6 shares platform with Mondeo. (at least they are not GM though)

Greg Abbott
Any buyer with a GM license is the best option, which has never been a likely proposition based on publicly available information. Brightwell, if they can get a license, is better than Youngman, Mahindra, or others without one. A pet theory of mine is that **if** GM would grant a license to any buyer, it would be to Brightwell — another in a line of (possibly) underfunded suitors who, if they succeed at all, will take years to be a threat to any competing GM product. GM will not grant a license to Youngman, we know that. And Mahindra has… Read more »
Henrik B.

What I would really like to know, is WHO the European (car-manufacturer) is?

Cheers!

phermansson

I would look at a brand that builds premium cars and has a propeller as a logo 😉 They might be the ones! =)

Henrik B.

Makes sence, as they need to widen their portfolie – like Audi (VAG) does with Skoda, VW and Seat! I could live with a sub-brand of the Bawarian ones – as long as they still have ‘the quirks’ and frontwheel drive…

Cheers!

TurboLover

Ahhh Spyker!

hans h

🙂

ivo 71

It can’t be BMW then because, contrary to widespread misconceptions, their logo is NOT the image of a propeller. Just do a google search on that.

Ivo

Dan P

well.. that’s extremely interesting, Tim…!

AMG ng900?

David-SAAB

I too have a feeling it’s BMW. The 3 pointed star could also be a possibility though. One never knows………

Legally Saab
Coke is it

Interesting. If BMW would buy Saab I’m now 100% sure that all current Saab models will be built again 🙂

Niklas G

Yep, it certainly has been a major dilemma for Saab for some decade now that if something is really good for Saab, GM will probably (or now almost certainly) say no.

Angelo V.

I’d prefer a really strong and competent company that makes cars (Mahindra) without a GM license—-over untested, unproven, underfunded pretenders who might be such a joke, GM deliverds the license and snickers.

Chicago Swede

Hmmm…….

I think that what this all means is that the company is for sale and is in fact being looked at by many parties. However, any GM based product is not currently being considered as part of the purchase. Fine by me. The best SAABs were made before GM and if the company survives, the best will be made again without GM.

Henrik B.

And that is simply not true!

Cheers!

Chicago Swede

SAAB 900 SPG.

Henrik B.

Sorry, but they are in no way better than OG9-5, NG9-5 and NG9-3. And I’m talking rost, safety, comfort, roadholding, quality a.s.o.

Cheers!

dezzer

What benefit would James CAIN gain by lying…i’ve got a horrible feeling about this !

phermansson

Well he might not be lying, but what TIll is saying is that he might not know himself. To really keep a secret, don’t even tell the guys at the company who talk to the press…

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

Sad still bothering GM.

Get on into future, the Phoenix.

Mark my words, NOONE will get GM’s “YES”.

guy55

STOP THIS SOAP!!!!!!!!!!IT IS ALWAYS A SAME STORY OF GM!!!!
al what we offer by saab is not good for gm of opel….i am very angry about that,we are losers for gm
Sweden stay up and begin nex jear a new buisnis whith good partnership ….SAAB IS SO GOOD PRODUCT FOR EVERYBODY WE WIILL DRIVE
EVERYDAY A SAME CONCLUSSION?PLEASE STOP WHIT WISHFULL THINKING?ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!
GM GO AND GO !!!!!!!!!!, WE ARE JOUR CONCLUSSION TIRED,i now sure saab come back and not whit gm!!!!!
greats from guy of belgium ,everybody stay up of a new saabstory!!!!

Chicago Swede

Je suis completement d’accord avec tous que vous venez de dire a propos de GM! I am in complete agreement with everything you said regarding GM!

CSD_ChineseSaabDriver

Get rid of Gmorons, just in 3 years we can have new Saabs

xelav

Thanks TimR, hoped for it. Is that propeller blue and white? Or is it usually in silver color ?

xelav

THE brand with THE silver propeller has also front wheel drive platforms!

Red J

The only brand with a silver propeller that I know, doesn’t even have a platform.

Thylmuc

BMW also has a FWD platform. Presently used in the Minis.

saabhuy

” stay optimistic”…but anyone could be realistic here 😉

orion

The involved bidders aren’t stupid (i suppose), at least they’ve a businessplan with more options to go on!
1. a plan with GM.
2. a plan not with GM.

My guess is it will be the secound.

TurboLover

Exactly!!

xelav

Mercedes ! I mean they do have B classe platform wich is frontwheeldrive( just as À classe) On that platform and engines you can make a quirky litle Saab . And since they work together with Nissan / Renault , there should be choice in engines( Renault 2 liter turbo) gearboxes, etc. They won’t have to invent the wheel again. Just à thought.

Red J

Never thought about the Mercedes star as being a propeller, that’s why you confused me.

saabdog

I think the most likely scenario will be the acquisition of Saab without GM. Hopefully it will be Mahindra. They will need to regroup and revive the Saab brand using NO GM parts, IP, etc. The best example of this is how BMW resurrected the Mini brand. It can be done but it will take focusing like a laser and introducing a new 9-3 in about 2 years.

SaabKen

Well said.

Even without the GM parts and the current lineup Saab has something none of the bidders have. A world class name and a heritage (knowledge and experience) you cannot buy with money in normal circumstances. The key is to get the people who know how to build premium cars in Sweden back on the payroll before it’s too late. Time is seriously running out. Decisions needs to be taken by the bidders today, not next month. If they have cash and good intentions, lets go and continue with Phoenix project asap. What is 500 million euro and an other 500… Read more »
TurboLover

xelav

I am going to wipe my ass now. Also off-topic.

TurboLover

Print something from gm.com to use as… you know what… 😉

guy55

GENERAL MOTORS IT IS OVER WHAT JOUR BUISNISS FOR SAAB?END OF THE STORY!!!!
MULLER COME BACK WHITH A NEW MODEL OF SAAB AND THIS IN DE DUTCH COUNRTY, I BELIEVE IN THE TRU NEW DUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAABPEOPLE?
SPEEDY GONZALES MULLER COME SOON BACK,WEL HE LOVE THE SAABPEOPLE AND HE FIND NEW BUISNISPARTNERS!!!!!
BY MR GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE LEBEN AUTOS HA HA HA

kochje

like this idea; however it seems not realistic under the given circumstances.

TurboLover

Please do not shout.

xelav

?

100%Saab

I guess I can wait another two weeks. Still on hold.

Just a thought.

mnztr

I think the recent news of RECORD PROFITS at Jaguar Land Rover show how much potential a premium brand in the right hands can have. The RR Evoque is FLYING off the shelves…

xelav

That’s what i wanted to say!

Bravada from GMI
I believe this is a very direct dig at Brightwell. Cain made a point of referring to them specifically, and I believe GM is very unapproving of them, and VM’s past efforts. After all, they have for some reason decided to end the farce the last time around. I think there is more behind that than “IP protection” (which is bollocks), or fear that Saabs will suddenly take over GM’s sales (bollocks as well). I believe there are some restrictions to be made, such as the 9-5 in the Chinese market, or the 9-4X in the US, but GM would… Read more »
rune

In that case GM ought to have a chat with e.g. Mahindra and get a constructive dialog going with them. That would be good PR and help secure the jobs of their former colleagues in Sweden.

I continue to be surprised why nobody in Sweden are finding ways of asserting some pressure on GM.

TurboLover

Agree, especially since GM is largely owned by the USA and Canada gov.
Giving speciall benefits to your own Industry is not acceptable in free trade. Swe gov should protest, but they seem to be to lame 🙁

kochje

If you are from GM, which I hope you are not; please do see to what GM did with Pontiac.
They just protect their own interest and do not have any other reason or theory we can discuss about.
This is just rough and blind protectionism.

Bravada from GMI
I am obviously not from GMI, and I believe their conduct with Pontiac, as well as other deceased brands (Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer) was extremely wrong in many ways, and there was a lot more that has been done that contributed to their demise than simply the decision to pull the plug. They were all salvageable though, and I believe January sales results show how GM is limping without them. That said, there was no serious offer on the table concerning the Pontiac brand, which had basically no dedicated plants and dealers, and generally was impossible to separate from GM. If… Read more »
Bravada from GMI

God do I have keyboard issues -> I am “from GMI”, as I contribute to GMInsideNews.com from time to time, but I am NOT from General Motors as such, and have no professional, business or personal connection at the moment.

kochje

Thanks, good to know 🙂

kochje

We just should ignore GM and do not even try to publish what they are claiming.
Ignore them for 100% and go on with the Phoenix platform as a basis for a new Saab company.

All hopes that GM will be collaborative are useless.
Look at what they did with the city Pontiac in the US; they just want to do the same with Trollhatan. Do not let them get that chance.

Angelo V.

I’ve been saying the same thing since December. To pin any hopes at all on GM cooperation is silly. You need to make plans to move forward without them—-and hope you can get a big jolt if you end up persuading them to license tech. On the other hand, if the only plan you have relies on GM, might as well get out of the way and let a real bidder bid.

kochje

I agree with you for 100%. Hope they will also do this.

xelav

Come on! News please!! No new postings yet from SU.

Toby K

it’ll be months before there is any real news, IMHO. The Waiting and hoping is unbearable.

Angelo V.

If it will be weeks before major news, but months before real details—-I’m fine with that. But “months before there is any real news” i.e. months before any decisions are made? Saab will never recover from that. There will never be another new Saab car if the company isn’t sold as a whole in the coming few weeks.

Keith

The delay’s in providing news are because the bankruptcy attorneys are reading all the brilliant, thoughtful and rational proposals made in the comments section of SaabsUnited. It could take months for them to give all the excellent business ideas the full analysis they so richly deserve.

Angelo V.
From Car and Driver: “•Indian firm Mahindra & Mahindra—a major manufacturer of passenger cars, commercial vehicles, and agricultural equipment—is reported to have entered preliminary discussions to buy at least portions of Saab. These reports date back to December 30, however. As of this writing, Mahindra spokespeople weren’t available for comment. If you’re confused by this quagmire of news, it’s understandable. And you’re not alone. Saab is a relatively large industrial firm, and it’s going through a sophisticated bankruptcy process in Sweden. State- and privately held Chinese manufacturers are in some cases declining to be forthcoming about their positions in negotiations—and… Read more »
saaburban
Buying parts of Saab might mean: – production facilities & tooling – technical R&D and testing capability, Including phoenix. – sales organisation and Dealer network – Saab brand rights. – Saab parts 1. if mahindra wants the brand, it needs to buy all other bits n pieces to develop and maintain the Saab name. 2. If mahindra only wants to develop it’s ssangyong brand, it might just go for the R&D, Phoenix and possibly the factory. Since mahindra is eyeing italian motorcycle company Ducati, it seems that the indians are shopping for tech-know-how and premium brands. Saab is like Ducati… Read more »
Angelo V.
Absolutely right on all counts. Personally, I think Mahindra is in this for the whole enchilada—-the ability to make cars and sell them as Saabs, in Sweden and elsewhere (perhaps rebranding other cars as needed if GM tech can’t come with the deal)—-to sell other non-Saab vehicles in Saab showrooms under their own name—-and to develop the PhoeniX platform as the first “real” new Saab in many years. It’s a tall order if GM doesn’t license technology—-they will lose a lot of money for at least 2-3 years. They know this and I think what is probably being debated at… Read more »
orion

I read the article on “Life with Saab”, about Mahindra’s ambitions. I’m not quite optimistic.

xelav

Thanks, needed that.

kochje

ivo 71

A kinda funny (funny/strange, not funny/haha) Occam’s razor, this situation. The fastest way to get a GM-free Saab on the market is by getting GM to agree to license their IP to build Saabs with GM tech in them until the GM-free Saab is ready for launching.

Ivo

orion

Do you really think this will work out. Forget it!
It’s with GM till in the far future, or not with GM.
Furthermore, most of the bids are about getting knowledge first. Secoundly; the production of new SAABs, and third: building somewhere in Sweden.

The only party as far as i can guess, who will build SAABs as we know them, are Brightwell. And why? because of the presence of Muller. Whatever you think of him!
And sure if M&M, or anyone else will build SAABS, please be my guest.

ivo 71

I’m not thinking one way or the other, all we can do is wait how stuff works out. Just picking up on a philosophical contradiction, is all.

Ivo

Bravada from GMI

That’s not very encouraging, but the good thing is that they’ve opened up to talk about Saab. It would be great to be able to find out directly whether they have given up on the Saab brand and manufacturing facility in THN after GM failed to answer their phone, or whether it was just the way the interview was cut that made such impression.

orion

I’m not very optimistic either! It’s talking about technology and not about: “The world of SAAB”. as we would like to see it. This man of M&M has not any idea of who Saab are.

Bravada from GMI
http://forbesindia.com/blog/business-strategy/mms-saab-story/ A good sobering piece showing how the rest of the world might view Saab. The article is clearly written by somebody with as much passion for cars as one would have for plastic containers, and the notion of any “research” done to write it is laughable, but I guess many high-level executives would share the same sentiment. It’s not that they are stupid or lazy, but there are many lower hanging investment opportunities with better return than restarting the Saab brand. Without true passion and conviction in it, it is hard to expect anybody to get into it seriously.… Read more »
orion

And so another brand might die, so simple.

Angelo V.

The first sentence we hear from the man being interviewed is “Saab has some OTHER assets…” In other words, the interview picks up after he’s already talked about some things they are interested in. We don’t know how it started, do we? But one thing I didn’t like was the (quite attractive) anchorwoman talking about bidding on ASSETS of Saab instead of just saying bidding on Saab. That concerns me.

Angelo V.

“I’m like an old Saab. I want to keep running forever.” Great quote.

JasonPowell

Angelo, did you read that? The title makes it sound like dealers are turning to Maserati and when you read it, it was one dealer saying they had contacted Maserati and they still don’t know….. Funny how that translates to dealers though. I like that quote too, some dealers don’t want to give up on the brand or their customers.