Graeme Lambert – “Saab Turbo’s forced infection”

Graeme Lambert, our Saab mad friend who used to work at Auto Express, has written an article at Retro Classic Cars about how his affection or affliction with Saab was started.
Below is an taster of his writings, the link to the whole story is below the picture.

It’s a cliché, but Saab owners are a terribly loyal bunch, often appearing misguided and blinded by their love for the brand. The bug has bitten many, myself included, and no matter what happens with the company’s future you can guarantee it’ll continue biting.

As a 12-year-old petrolhead who had grown-up around a series of Volvos, the announcement that my father fancied a change of brand instilled a sense of brio in me. The prospect of trawling round the local dealer network, scooping up scores of brochures as we went, was one of pure un-rivalled excitement.

It didn’t take long to end up in the Saab dealer, and after examining various 9000 hatchbacks and saloons I sat back thinking my job was done. Until the weekend after when I discovered a sales sheet for a Volvo 460GLEi. Betrayed, there were tears before I informed them they’d made a mistake. Two years later my tantrum was justified, and the ever-troublesome Volvo got the boot, replaced with a black Saab 9000.

Click this link for the full story http://retroandclassiccars.com/2012/03/25/your-cars-graeme-lamberts-saab-turbos-forced-infection/

900_S

Nice article and not an uncommon story. Almost like you’re getting the story from a spontaneous new Saab friend you just met on the street, who noticed your car or Saab apparel. No explanation why it was sold, what he replaced it with, and the story behind the current C900 he has. Oh well. The car pictured looks very nice, though. Yeah, there’s just something about Saabs…

Graeme Lambert
@900S Sorry the article was quite strict on wordcount, so no room to explain all but I’ll try and do that here for you. It was sold, because it was my first ever car and I had it six years. When I chose it, the c900 had to be a jack of all trades. It was fast, distinctive, comfortable, spacious and at the time good value (£2,500 in 2004 for a 1992 T16s model). It was my only car, and one that had to take me to work, to the shops, to Europe, around a track and anything else asked… Read more »
ivo 71

Great choice, Graeme. Imho the 9000 Aero is the best car Saab ever built. The Abbott tweaks make it exceptional. My 9000 FPT is looking forward to meeting it -and I you 🙂 – at Spa in August.

Ivo

Graeme Lambert

Hi Ivo,
Thanks for the comments. Make sure you do come and say hello at Spa in August – Black 9000 Aero on a UK L registration.

G

900_S
Hello Graeme, Thanks for responding, that cleared up everything! That’s too bad about the strict word count. Without that extra bit you just kindly provided, your article just seemed incomplete. Sounds like a spiffy job, getting to drive all those different cars, including the new 9-5. Also nice replacement for your prized C900 with the Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster AND the 9000. I can understand needing to move onto different cars. I’ve only had my non-turbo C900 S, but I’m interested in many other cars. Some Saab, some not. I actually have a 1973 Triumph GT6 restoration project that isn’t moving… Read more »
Graeme Lambert

No problem Jason.
The word count is soemthing we have to deal with in everything we write to be honest – the skill in our game is to get the important information accross in the space we have. this story was actually meant to be a first part in a two part series, the latter article explaining about the new 9000 Aero etc but that is no longer happening due to changes at the retro and classic website. And your comments didn’t come accross as crass in any way – I’m just happy you enjoyed it.

G

XC9000

Nice!
I had a black Volvo 460 Turbo aut. some years ago; a nice car, I especially liked the trip computer of it;
But ofcourse nothing beats a Saab 9000… not even most other Saabs.. (well…, maybe a 9-5 Aero from before 2006, the one with the proper Saab dash..)

Great looking 900 classic b.t.w.. 🙂

Stefan E Sthlm

Nice story. And an extremely nice car!

Graeme Lambert

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie

Thanks for the response all.
Sorry about having to cut the full story short, but as Graeme mentioned R&CC has seen a change in circumstances lately. However, if you’d like to be continued I’m sure I can make an exception if Graeme doesn’t mind.