Painting the Picture

As I left my home to get to work this morning the weather could not have been more fitting. Half of the sky was sunny, the other half filled with black rain clouds. And as I got to my Saab the biggest rainbow in years showed up. I enjoyed the sight a lot and to a degree took it as a sign after those indications we got yesterday on how the bidding process has developed.

As I expected, last night’s post brought up very mixed emotions on the future of Saab. This may be caused by the name of the potential winning company, National Electric Vehicle Sweden. But as far as all sources I could reach told me this name is a bit misleading as it is not about pure electric vehicles, the main focus is said to be hybrids. Sounds like an evil word, as it is in most heads tied to the ugly face of the prius but we must not forget that a car with a 1.6 twin turbo BioPower engine and eAAM rear axle technology is also a hybrid. And I can see nothing scary about that.

To pick up last night’s post – the core values of Saab we all are so fond of consist mainly of safety, responsible performance, fun to drive, practicability… There is no reason why a car that carries those values can’t be a hybrid. Even more, with clever concepts, this could reassign Saab to be a technology leader, give a unique selling point. To me this feels like transcribing what Saab stood for twenty years ago into the modern automotive world, at best even outperforming the competition.

I urge you not to draw premature conclusions before definite info on their business plan is available. Stay as open minded as we want ourselves to be. Rest assured, this is miles away from the first pure electrical consortium thing. It is rather something that can bring us exciting cars, just on advanced technology.

Looking at National Electric Vehicle Sweden this company is most likely a vehicle to bundle the efforts and investments of a few players. So it is no surprise it was founded just recently. The managers listed in the board bring along lots of experience in their fields. I am not sure if we will ever get to know all parties behind this but as far as I was told, they are no small players.

Some may be disappointed as they really hoped for Mahindra to take over but there is no reason for that. Go figure: Mahindra have been the forerunner at the receivers and all the sudden NEVS is there in the lead. At the same time Mahindra was not seen leaving. I leave the conclusion up to you.

Jonathan
Admin

Mark my words: an electric Saab would make the same impact as the original Saab 99 Turbo. ๐Ÿ˜‰

hans h

+1 ๐Ÿ™‚

Ben

logan

Agreed. The thought of Saab moving into a new space in the market (that is not too oversaturated) would be great timing to make a technological impact. Many of the vehicles (Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius, etc…) are ‘advanced’, but more or less boring. Saab could change all of this, if they remained around the same price point. Personally, I’m interested to see what happens with Tesla’s Model S.

JerseySaab

I very much doubt it. Some “advanced” technologies (electric cars were all the rage over 100 years ago) are just not ready for prime-time. Hybrid, maybe — though I personally would not want one.

maanders

(This was supposed to be in response to Jonathan’s original post)

Perhaps true if

1) The price would be comparable to what a Saab 99 Turbo cost (relative to other cars when it was introduced)
2) The electric Saab would be as practical as the Saab 99 Turbo in terms of taking it on road trips (i.e., what is its range before needing a charge?)

saabdog

Perhaps in fairyland. However, I live in realville where EV’s are definitely NOT ready for prime time.

SpinM
I too would preffer Mahindra, but let’s not discredit new Saab’s future products even before they are on drawing bord. Only time will tell how serious this whole concept is. If it’s something devised by the likes of our “friend” Maud, then trully all is lost, but if it turns out to be electricity being practical in a mass produced car for the first time, just like turbo was decades ago, then sky is the limit. It’s fully understandable however that people got frustrated by this news. It only confirms to me how fiercly loyal Saab fans are and how… Read more »
phermansson

Indeed, we wont see a “Saab Prius”. We will see a Saab 900EV Biopower that amazes the world i Geneva 2015 :).

Timeshifter

kochje

That would be something; YES ๐Ÿ™‚

Maude must be proud as she got her windmill dream up and running. ๐Ÿ™

Mark

Maud needs windmills to disperse her hot air!

Mark

What does scare me is that there seems to have been a certain amount of manipulation to make NEVS the front runner.

See my above remark re Maude. What I dont get is SweGov seems to be pushing NEVS and they did NOTHING for Saab. Pathetic really. Whats the obsession with hybrid cars anyway, nobody wants them and NEVS wants to build them.

GerritN
“Mahindra have been the forerunner at the receivers and all the sudden NEVS is there in the lead. At the same time Mahindra was not seen leaving. I leave the conclusion up to you.” My conclusion, and that’s probably not what you were hoping to hear, is that there was a lot of political maneuvering behind the screens to mollify the Swedish government. I have no problem with that as long as it translates in proper support for Saab and Trollhattan. I’d like to have an electric car! As long as it has the range of my Viggen and provides… Read more »
TonymacUK

Well, if this is true, the company should be renamed, as the present newly registered name can hardly be used in any form to badge a vehicle. I suggest Swedish Electric Locomotive Output Traction. Then the cars could be badged with the acronym SELOUT! (Well, I thought it was amusing, in a sardonic sort of way)

Nigel Mallett
Nate 9-3

nice

richard
til72, thanks for the clear headed response to the posting earlier. This pitchfork wielding mob mentality about the possibility of electric vehicle technology in a Saab is sadly overblown. The core values of Saab have always been about responsible performance. Nowhere has it ever said that the performance must be solely based around an ICE. It is the performance, driveability, efficiencies and practicality of a Saab that has always made it one of the best cars I’ve ever owned and driven. Saab has always used intelligent engineering to get the best out of the technology at hand. And now, it… Read more »
Ralph

Allan B

GerritN

Hear, hear…..

Red J

From what I know, and what I read here the old plans from SWAN and the new plans from NEVS are not that different. Hybrids and e-cars where on the list already last year, and EREV’s where also in the road book.

The most important thing is how will NEVS package this technology?

bilen
Problem with e-xwd is price. It would have been quite a bit more exxpensive than xwd. There where even discussions about introducing a ordinary xwd because of the price and the lower performance of the e-xwd. (Especially when cold, think swedish winter, maybe a ski trip. You wont have much power from the rear wheels due to the low temperature and since it can’t deliver power it will take long time to heat. Sort of a “moment 22”). I could live with e-xwd hybrid. BUT then I see it as a complete failure to not offer a car without the… Read more »
rune

I do not understand.

The Phoenix 9-3 we were told about would still have a 1.6 liter ICE. As I understood it, it would also deliver power to charge the batteries? I assumed the rear electrical motors would always have juice available to them.

If that is not the case, then e-AAM would be fairly moot IMO. (depending on how much power you’d need in the scenario you describe — I currently experience reduced power in my 260 bhp 9-5 on cold mornings, but after a few miles all systems are go)

bilen
A cold battery do not have the same juice available as a room temperature battery. It is also a big lump of mass so it will take time to warm it upp. There are ways to make the battery stay warm longer after used, but this of course adds cost and complexity. Over night should not be a problem, if it is not to cold. A solution fore more traction would be e-lsd for the front axle. This is not a Saab specific problem. I just dont see e-xwd as a company saver. I think something has been lost here.… Read more »
rune
Having mis-spent a youth playing with R/C models, I know all too well about what cold weather can do to a battery used for propulsion. That was not the source of my confusion. It is as follows: Are you saying that if I drove my eAAM-equipped car (implemented the way the next 9-3/900 was intended) for a week or a month without plugging it in somewhere in the mean time, I will after a number of miles not have any juice for the rear axle? Or are you saying that whatever source is used for charging along the way (e.g.… Read more »

Is BMW even willing to supply engines to NEVS if they buy Saab? Where is all the money coming from or does it grow on trees in Sweden?

Quixcube

I assume eXWD will be cheaper than the mechanical system it replaces. The batteries will be the most costly part but electric motors aren’t particularly complex systems compared to the Haldex setup.

PB
I like the discussions above, and i do not want to spoil the party, but who says that the new owner of Saab will be building cars under the Saab name? May be they start producing cars called NEVS, or smaller vehicles for disabled people like Aixam. In other words, when a non-carcompnay comes aboard, it is far from being evident that we will see regular cars leaving the factory again, Hybrid, EV or combustion engine powered cars. And that is a concern, think about all those Saab-dealers still hoping to be able to continue their beloved brand. Next to… Read more »
MrTinkertrain

Some of the reasons for why I like Saab is the sound of the petrol engine, shifting between the gears. If it disappears, I go for a used new Mini or a BMW. Or a Mitsubishi Galant “shark-nose”.
Future sucks.

Tilley

It might not be ‘all or nothing’. The way I see it, it would be wise to offer choices….petrol (with the nice sound), diesel, Saab-style hybrid, electric…..

I’m going to wait and see what happens.

Future is bright because it seems Saab will live on. A slightly different Saab than we were used to, but still Saab.

GerritN

What you need is:

Jeroen

Good thing to remember: Saab no longer has any ownership in e-AWD or e-AAM. It’s all AAM now. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/aam-acquires-full-ownership-of-e-aam-driveline-systems-ab-2012-02-29

OliverH

And doesn’t belongs it to GM (American axle)?

Jeroen

Nope. It’s a GM spin-off though, founded in the 90s. These days, it’s a fully independent listed company.

artizangbr
GM have been trying to offload the Volt (Ampera in the UK) designs and technology please god let us not go down that route! (Saab Volt, just give a dead body one more kick in the nuts!!) Batteries just do not work for a car, and never will. The volt has a range of 50 miles between 4 hour charge ups, its extender is a small engine under powered diesel engine for a massive 314 miles. Not only a fuel bill but also a massive electric one too. . I really hope if electric is the way they are heading… Read more »
Chek Enjin Soon

aeroo
Here l am in Australia a part of Tasmania ( for Swade) where travel distance is often in 1000’s of Kms and a normal drive to the office can be anything from 150 kms a day to a slow stop start to travel of 20 kms in 1.5 hour in the cities . All electric cars are yet to break through three barriers … low travel distance before re-charge, slow re – charge time measured in hours (and availability of suitable charge stations ) and a incredibly high cost of initial purchase … a Nissan leaf is $55K Aud. you… Read more »

Swade, is that you? ๐Ÿ˜‰

DC95
I see a potential problem with any car company tying itself to only one way of propulsion. We have seen this in past with Saab and Jaguar, who resisted diesel for years but in the end had to succumb to market demands. Automotive near future (let’s say next 20 years) will very likely involve petrol only cars (with petrol engines increasingly downsizing, using turbos, supercharges, direct injection etc), diesel only cars, hybrids with either petrol or diesel and in some applications pure electric cars. Big players are likely to offer all of these, with potentially Smart or Up! like cars… Read more »
metalhead

How do we know for sure Mahindra had been the fore runner?

Eric

I don’t mind SAAB having hybrid models(or even an electric one), but they need gas/diesel models for the most part. Hybrids are only a niche market & would never sustain Saab for the long term. Electric vehicles are an even smaller niche than hybrids are & largely have limited commuting ability.
Gas & diesel are the 2 sustainable fuels for the foreseeable future.

Quixcube
This is such a short sighted approach to take. Why intentionally waste all of the energy you had in motion when you come to a stop? Why not try to store some of the energy and use it again at start? That’s just common sense in my opinion. It isn’t that we need gas or diesel only cars for the most part. We need better hybrids for the most part. We need simpler, lighter, cheaper hybrid systems to store and deliver that energy. Who better to rapidly improve hybrid technology than a hybrid electric only forward-thinking company like the new… Read more »
Troels, Denmark
I see no problem if a future Saab will not make pure petrol-cars any more, IF they use the advanced Phoenix/eam-technology, which are already developed to some level. And I think that will be the case because this tehch are probably the main reason for the consortium to be interested in Saab. A key- factor in that tech. was the driving-pleasure and the road-abilities which will be brought to new levels. What is important to me, is that new owners will keep the Saab-name and -brand and , not at least, Saabs core values: Progressivism, independent thinking, integrity between advanced… Read more »
christian

GerritN

I feel that the main issue for a new owner will be to lure the original Saab workers back into the fold. Especially the Saab engineers were the flag bearers of the core values that you are mentioning. Just see what they managed to accomplish with the two Caddie bricks that morphed into the 9-4x and the new 9-5.

Alexandros
You can have your opinion about electromobility and e-cars but if you are a car manufacturer you can’t avoid to be involved in some kind of activity in this field. The university that I work for (Tehnical University of Munich) has designed an e-car which was presented last year at the IAA in Frankfurt: http://www.mute-automobile.de/en/home.html This concept is now the base for a bigger collaboration with BMW, some other car manufacturer and OEMs: http://www.dexigner.com/news/25093 I like the idea of “New Saab” being again in the frontline of Research & Development of innovative technologies. Anyway, I will keep my 9-3 Convertible… Read more »
kochje

Like this, Alexandros !!

Quixcube
Saab at the front of industry technology sounds great. They have been at the rear (though not for lack of good ideas!) for far too long. They produced concept after concept after concept that never got cleared for production. It’s time to build a cutting edge concept as their main product now and that concept doesn’t have to be powered by a massive swaggering petrol-only engine. With all the “golf cart” jabs and “enviro weenie” name calling there’s been too much “born from jets” and not enough “power when you need it” here lately for my taste. A Saab doesn’t… Read more »
e050367
Dont be sad my friends. What SAAB needs is a completely new approach to the market if it the brand should rise again. A completely outstanding enviromental output is whats needed. I dont believe in that the new SAAB product will be purely electric but it certainly needs to be a really enviromentaly vehicle. The Biopower engines maybe will be yet more developed and other hightech evolutions may come into light from the new company. Remember how much knowledge there is available in the Trollhรคttan region today. Inovatum and all other outstanding companies are hungry for a breakthrough and this… Read more »

IMO BioPower is a joke. Here in the UK cars are taxed on CO2 emissions and according to data biopwer cars emit the same CO2 as a normal petrol engine negating any tax saving when it comes to road tax. E85 isnt available here and if it were it would cost the same as petrol but here is the biggest issue, fuel consumption with E85 is 30% higher than normal fuel. So much for efficient performance.

JerseySaab

Sounds like what you need is a regime change rather than scrambling to find cars that please a particular band of armed thugs.

Red J

Zippy,
Europe (UK included) have some kind of problems with E85. When it comes to taxes, E85 capable cars produce the same amount of CO2 as their petrol only counterparts, but on the other side in many countries in Europe E10 has been introduced to reduce their national CO2 footprint.
E10 produces less CO2 than E05 (petrol) but E85 produces the same amount of CO2 as E05.

Carlo A

Till I totally agree with you, especially when you talk about technological leadership …. the NG 9-3 designed by Jason was due to having a 1.6 turbo engine and eAAM at the back … so cool …..

as a SAAB fan and driver I am scared to see the SAAB brand and heritage disappearing ….. so I would like to see them continuing with the SAAB brand

Griffin Up !!!

Sorry Till but I can’t see ‘National Electric Vehicle of Sweden’ being about BioPower and eXWD. They’re going to be politically pressured to EV’s right away. Sounds like the hybrid talk started just to calm down the community. SURE HOPE I’M WRONG THOUGH.

Whoever sells cars with a SAAB badge better remember reliability is one of the key elements. An other is safety. The NG 9-5 is so heavy because it’s ultra safe. Reduction of weight becomes tempting carrying around huge battery packs. The modern vehicle eats up an unbelievable amount of energy when the temperature drops.

GerritN

“The NG 9-5 is so heavy because itโ€™s ultra safe”

BS, it’s so heavy because it started its life as a GM brick.

Really. How is it possible the big Insignia only weighs about 100 kilos more than our NG 9-3 ss then? Never considered that to be a brick.
I believe a manual, FWD NG 9-5 TiD is around 1700-1800 kg.

christian
Till, I fully agree on all of your points, the same is valid for Tim’s last article. With this approach by NEVS, SAAB would indeed be able to keep their core values. I mean, a new 9-3 with a 1.6 twin turbo BioPower engine and eAAM rear axle technology – wouldn’t that be awesome? IMHO, the reborn SAAB don’t have another chance than coming up with alternative (that is, hybrid AND electric) drives in order to be competitive at all. We are talking about 3 – 4 years minimum until production of brand new SAABs may resume, and by then… Read more »
Nicolas
You know: in Belgium legislation concerning cars (for companies) changed dramaticully since 1st of January 2012. A lot of independant workers and companies sold their heavy fuelled cars to buy smaller cars with much less CO2 because taxes are calculated on the CO2. I sould my Saab 9.5 Aero 2.8T (2011) ๐Ÿ™ with endless pain in the heart. For me: taxes went from 2530 euro/year to 10830 euro/year. In 1 day!!!! So I bougth a smaller car, with less CO2. A terrible car (Mercedes B class, 116gr CO2, tax = 1700 euro). The same day that I had my new… Read more »
Red J

And who bought your car? I mean 10k โ‚ฌ per year, this is nuts !!!!

akis96

F**k: And I really dislike paying about โ‚ฌ 950 on car-tax for my Saab 9000 2.3t with 200 hp here in Austria.
Guess โ€˜bigโ€˜ used cars in Belgium must sell at a pretty low price at the moment… sad.

One more reason why I think the MY12 9-5 TiD SC 128g CO2 would have been a huge success…

JerseySaab

Sounds like people there have a problem with their government, not with their cars.

+1. Especially when we pay the equivalent of US$9 for a single gallon of gas.

I dont get the diesel is cleaner mularky either. Ever seen all the toxic soot that comes out of the tailpipe every time a driver hits the gas pedal? Or should that be a diesel peddle? ๐Ÿ˜‰

JerseySaab
I like diesels from the standpoint of longevity and efficiency. Diesel fuel is a lubricant rather than a solvent and a properly designed diesel engine can outlast even a Saab gasoline engine. The high compression ratio and lack of a throttle plate makes diesels more efficient. If Saabs with modern diesels were available here in the U.S. I would definitely consider one. We don’t have a lot of diesel cars here but there are some available, mostly VWs. I have not seen soot or fumes from late-model diesel cars, the “TDI” emblem on the back is usually the only thing… Read more »
Kenneth Wehrenberg
Here in the states, we are awash with a never-ending supply of very cheap energy that is nearly impossible to run out of– natural gas. Right now $0.85 to $1.25/ gasoline gallon equivalent (GGE)!!! More fields are opening up daily. Also, there is a build-out of CNG fueling stations proceeding quickly. All Pilot and Flying J stations will have it as the diesel truckers have seen the light. This is huge market as the only car available from the factory is the Honda Civic and the range is less than 200 miles. CNG leads to longer engine life and cleaner… Read more »
saabdog

Now this is what I call a real solution. Saab should be developing CNG technologies. Perhaps combine this with some sort of electric component. I would actually buy a new Saab based on this technology.

Jeff
I agree on the CNG. And from what I know from Tim, ANA already installs this system on the 9-3 so it should be a pretty turn-key opportunity for the new Saab. Regarding the dangerous wiring, I know what you’re talking about in a serious wreck but I feel that there are certain ways to avoid this through smart design and material use to protect the battery components from any area where there could be high risk to passengers. Other companies like Volvo are hard at work at such solutions and I’m sure Saab with their safety research would be… Read more »
tupolev141

Look at the Mercedes E300 Bluetec. That’s how impressive a marriage between normal engine and electromotor can be. Without needing huge battery packs. There are almost only benefits in this type of “hybrids”. So let’s see and wait in which direction the future SAAB will head under new ownership.

Nicolas

Car was sold to a Dutchman (no, not VM) ๐Ÿ™‚ He will pay … 15.000 euro taxes to import my 9.5!

adde
But what do we, as customers, want to buy (from SAAB-family ofc)? I can see divided opinions in comments, some would like to have pure e-car, some hybrids, and some petrol/diesel. And those are only opinions on SU. What does this tell us then? There is no way to sustain a factory if you go for only on “kind” of cars. SAAB has to meet needs of broad range of customers and offer them a freedom of choice. My opinion among others is that i dont belive in pure e-cars. There are lots of obsticles to overcome in order to… Read more »
Thylmuc

To tell the truth, before we bought the flat we live in, about 2.5 y ago, I checked with the electricity provider that they could deliver electrical power to the parking level, for recharging plug-in hybrids. I am confident that this will be the next evulation stage.

I would nevertheless be somewhat shocked to find myself driving a RWD car, when I actually want to use that electrical motors.

David-SAAB
At last we see where our brand can be heading. As has been stated before on this very blog site – A Saab is better than no saab at all. Hybrid and Electric Saabs may just be what is needed after all. Here we had a brand that held a certain type of quirky fascination, what better than to continue this legacy with quirks and fascination where the rest of the automotice world seems to be heading anyway – sustainability. Sure this is not my first choice by far. I too hoped for Mahindra & Mahindra but hey, I want… Read more »
Troels, Denmark

I my opinion; In only a few years there will be sold very few – if any – petrol/diesel cars without supplying electrical power. What – I thought – we all were looking forward to was the advanced Saab-hybrid-tech. with Phoenix/eAAM-construction. A tech which, according to leading (former) Saab-engineers, should become even more revolutionary to the car-industry then the Saab-turbo-tech in 1978.
So again: IF only the new owners will respect the Saab-name and Saab core values, they shall be welcome.

Nigel Mallett

IF they do that! SAAB could again lead the market!!
Those were great days!

saabserb
I will be free to give my picture of how I understand this has happened: Youngman was in the biding process excepting the fast closure. Their plan was to at this time already own SAAB and almost start up the production of the old 9-3. But the administrators had another plan, wanting to do everything by the book (which I think is correct from their point of view). The process took time, valuable SAAB people has left the building and the value of SAAB went down in Youngman’s eyes. On the other side a new possibility raised: Malaysian Proton was… Read more »
Martin T16s
I think a lot of our viewpoints, mine included are somewhat tainted by the fact many of us are such loyal die hards who have grown up on a diet of nothing but SAAB. As I have written many times I first ‘married’ into Saab cars some 37 years ago and have never left the brand in all that time, working in various dealership roles.It has been a wonderful marriage but now I feel like I have been divorced from what I grew to love so much. In all those years I have grown to adore the brand and all… Read more »
hans h

Move Your Mind. Yes indeed. It is time for precisely that. Especially for all the Saab-haters. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nigel Mallett

Definitely time to think outside the box!

Douglas Brown

I too have been in love with saab for about 37 years. But, the way I see it- There will always be a Saab to drive for me. I’ve only sunk my teeth into one new Saab once in my lifetime, back in 1991. Hey, everybody should own at least one new car to experience it! I’m happy with pre-owned. I do hope that things will come together for Saab as a company soon, to at least keep the pre-owned lot fairly fresh! I don’t think I could ever afford another new Saab, unfortunately.

TonymacUK

My 1.9TTiD OF 160bhp and emmisions of 119g/km will hit 60mph in 9 secs and averages, between fills, on mixed urban/motorway journeys, 42mpg. The annual Road Tax is ยฃ30. As for sooty exhausts when accelerating – must be an older car or a poorly maintained one. Out of my last six cars four have been diesels, one was a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier ( that WAS sooty!), two others were Honda Accords and now a MY12 9-3.

GerritN

“will hit 60mph in 9 secs”

Wow, is that land miles or nautical miles?
Sorry, :), couldn’t resist ๐Ÿ™‚

He should have said roughly 9 seconds from 100-150 km/h (at least with the 180 hp version). Not that far behind a lightweight Viggen ๐Ÿ˜‰

XC9000
Maybe, just maybe, a future ‘eSaab’ would be able to jump ahead of the current flawed Prius etc generation and design a hybrid that does work. Maybe with a small gasturbine engine… ๐Ÿ˜‰ Saab succeeded in the past in making certain ‘exotic’ technologies suitable for everyday driving. Biggest example is ofcourse the turbo; before the 99 turbo there was a BMW 2002 turbo, which was quite a tricky animal. Saab brought the turbo technology under control for normal use by the average driver. The 99 / 900 / 9000 generation was always quite ahead of most of the competition, it… Read more »
Martin T16s

My sentiments exactly!

I WANT YOUR 900 T16S, please. ๐Ÿ™‚

Carmania

This is what I want:

A 900 hatch-back e-AAM 4WD plug-in hybrid with 50 km battery range.

If SAAB does like Apple did with the Iphone and make just one fabulous model they could sell million of cars each year. No sedan, no combi, no options, just one great car – take it or leave it. That strategy took Apple from zero to 75% of all mobile phone profits in a few years.

hughw
I guess it’s fun to speculate, but really, we have no idea where this is going. Until there is official word, we don’t know if NEVS is indeed the buyer, or someone else. And we know even less about whoever the buyers plans are for saab and their timeframe. We’ve all read a lot of stuff over the last years that we’ve jumped on the bandwagon about only to find out it was false information, for example, the BMW excitement. I can’t tell anyone else what to do, but for myself, I’m going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the… Read more »
bpsorrel

+1 Exactly how I feel. The time to react positively (or negatively..) is when we know what is ACTUALLY happening. Until then, I’m going to do as hughw, sit back and enjoy the ride! ๐Ÿ™‚

KT
Hi guys, I’ve been quietly watching everything in the background and reading all the different comments over the last few months. The reason for this is i felt tensions were high enough and i didn’t feel i would be contributing in any way by commenting on other peoples thoughts while the situation was still fragile. Understandably there have been mixed emotions and frustration. But the end is in sight now which will be a great relief to many, be it good news or bad depending on how you view the outcome. The time has come i feel to give my… Read more »
jim

Yes. A 1.6L with electric rear axle is exactly the powertrain I want in my next car. It should be a bit faster than my 2.0T 9-3SS. Yet it should also have 50% better mileage and AWD. How is that not a total win? Especially if it comes in the shape of a 2015 9-3. I’m in (eventually).

adde

Yeah, its total win. I realy hope that when NEVS talks about hybrids it means “petrol/diesel engine (whatever size) in combination with electric rear axle, in this case eAAM” and nothing else.

Thylmuc

Puh, I got a Saab for its FWD. If it now turns out that a plug-in hybrid could be operated merely on electric power for my daily commute, and that would mean RWD in 90% of the time, that would make me err hesitant.

Troels, Denmark

Dave
Thing is, if you can’t sell a SAAB to a SAAB fan, then who the hell exactly are you going to sell one to? Just look at the reactions on this very site. granted, not every SAAB driver is on this site…but i wonder what the average age of SAAB drivers/owners is (might have something to do with them not beeing “online” :p )… Admittedly, i’ve only been a SAAB Owner for the best part of 5 months, after retirering my Volvo S40 Phase 1 (you know, those built by Volvo, not the Ford or Chinese ones..), and my word…… Read more »
jim

Saab fans don’t matter enough. They also need Audi (=AWD) and Prius (=hybrid) fans. That all used to be Saab’s demographic, so they will notice anything Saab does. Most other people will not. At least this is the optimistic view.

Harriet

My biggest concern is the 100k life of the Prius battery – there are 4 Saabs in my family – none has less than 100k miles, and one has almost 250k – a quarter of a million miles! they are all working and I turn the key and they start (no, I alone don’t drive 4 cars). Saab has done exciting new technology, maybe this is the way to go – let’s all hope for that rainbow!!

jim

Most reports show the Prius battery actually acheives typical Toyota powertrain lifespan. I rode in a NYC cab Camry hybrid with over 200k and the driver said no problems. Also this: http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/04/autos/toyota_prius_battery_life/index.htm The Prius has sold in gigantic numbers, so this is now a proven fact. The battery can fail, but Toyota engines can also sludge up and explode, so there’s that.

EuroDriver

If the point of bankruptcy is to make a company profitable or stable once again, why in their right mind would the receivers give off SAAB to

derek

I am interested in buying a car similar to the current Saab 9-3. It is good if the factory is re-opened but if they are building Saab tractors, Saab lawnmowers, Saab women’s underwear, Saab violins or Saab electric cars, I am not interested. Sorry.

GerritN

“Saab womenโ€™s underwear…”

Kinky, me like!

GerritN

Maybe a new item for the SU store?

3cyl

Watch out for the propeller.

Allan B

The Electric Saabs … a good name for a band. I’m on drums. Who else is in?

Olav

Bass here.

Allan B

We got rhythm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Douglas Brown

Maybe a big reason NEVS is a front runner could be simply KIISS (Keep It In Sweden Silly)!

wishihadasaab

So will SAAb still be called SAAB or will they sell their cars as a different brand

scottmil
I hope the focus is hybrids, because electric cars are the most ridiculous and inefficient concept out there. They will never with existing technology or even near term technology be practical. If this is the future of SAAB, then SAAB is dead to me. Even their alleged environmental benefits are questionable, because of all the additional resources and materials used to make batteries, in combination with the sources of our electricity. If electric cars have any benefit at all, it is negligible and those minor benefits donโ€™t outweigh the serious inherent flaws in the fundamental concept of having to recharge,… Read more »
andyb

Where does it say that they will continue to use the Saab brand name.

Baver

Really….Nobody has pointed out that NEVS backwards is SVEN. How Scandinavian is that???

Henric Tungstrรถm

๐Ÿ™‚ lol, you found the secret message

hans h

Please send back to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Red J

NEVS also mean
New Electric Vehicles by SAAB. ๐Ÿ˜›

paul
I need to start coming here for for stock picks, weather forecasts, lottery numbers, and before I put any money down on the next big game. It seems like a lot of people are pretty confident that, not only are electric vehicles not a big deal now, but will never be a big deal. It must be great, or a huge burden, to know the future with such certainty. Like most of the Saab enthusiasts here, my hope has been for a buyer with a lot of resources who will bring back a Saab like I remember – only stronger,… Read more »
Viper
The Porsche 918 supercar is a hybrid is it not. That is an awesome car. Hybrids dont have to be “Prius'”. If they build reasonable hybrids then that cannot be a bad thing. The big question here is, is this company (sorry forgot the name as its been referred to a few now), are they going to keep the Saab brand? If yes, then all good as long as they actually build reasonable hybrids etc. If not, then this is all a waste of time and Saab is dead which would be a very, very, very sad day when it… Read more »
Mats Liljero
Mahindra & Mahindra is finding it tough to exorcise the ghosts of failed Chinese ownership at its South Korean car unit Ssangyong as it looks to push the brand into China’s auto market, the world’s largest. At the same time, the car, tractor and truck maker, the core part of the Rs 80,000 crore diversified Mahindra Group, will take its own rugged sport utility vehicles (SUVs) elsewhere, to emerging markets such as Brazil and South Africa – though it is developing engines to be used across both brands. Mahindra’s muscular jeeps have for decades been a favourite in India’s rural… Read more »