The Indian Angle

Ever since the receivers took over the control at Saab quietness ruled the news. There were those regular press conferences but most questions were only answered very vaguely if at all. Most things happened behind closed doors, which was very strange for us after the very public Spyker era. I don’t want to judge the latter here but I do have to admit that I like that calm style. There are certain things in business that do not belong into the public and the talks with potential investors certainly are such.

This silence was broken a few times by Youngman who gave some interviews that were merely intended to polish up their image. In the end, at least for me, they left more questions than answers. I do not see them as a good owner for Saab as they may own a few mines and be a big bus manufacturer but their car subsidiary is rather small and since they lack a joint-venture with a big automotive player it is in danger to be eaten up by the threatening consolidation within the chinese automotive landscape.

Even at first look Mahindra seem to be in a totally different league. They are a modern conglomerate consisting of many sectors: automotive, agricultural, aero, defense technologies, IT-services to name but only a few. If you wanted to compare them you’d have to look at companies like Samsung or of course Tata.

But as we learned under GM sheer size of a parent does not guarantee success and growth for a brand like Saab. But the more I dig in it I can see what Mahindra stands for and why they became not only my personal favourite, but also the one of people at Saab and among the receivers.

Let’s start with one of the more obvious things. Saab is still more than an empty shell. Its engineers have developed some very interesting environmental technology like the TTID engine and ePower, but also with regards to vehicle stability, quality and longlivety . All of these can be pretty valuable for Mahindra – with their own cars like the XUV5OO. If they want to get into the European market, especially with their SUVs they need environmentally friendly engines and electric technology. As we already learned the TTiD engine is not subject to GM’s approval so it would be not that hard to adapt it for use in other vehicles, maybe even in the Ssangyong range. And that would indeed satisfy the ever growing local market, with a rapidly growing number of consumers wanting European styled vehicles and technology underpinnings. European technology is hot in India.

Speaking of green technology – this is a main issue in India. The government is putting a lot of effort in establishing environmentally friendly technologies. Of course they have a long way to go but according to the WorldBank experts India has been among the countries who made the biggest progress regarding environmental issues between 1995 and 2010. Despite the fact that the big difference in development of the regions does not make it easy they are much more seriously focused on those issues than some countries in the western world. Not only did the use of for instance plastic carrier bags got prohibited, also most sales of lightbulbs got crushed. India’s crowded streets were cleaned up at an alarmingly fast pace, investing heavily in cleaning up engine pollutants. There is a reason that CNG is one of the most used mobility fuels. The quality of the Indian design and technology was indeed over the last 15 years completely turned around.

Apart from the field of technology it’s worth to take a look at the Indian mindset and company culture. As we could see throughout the process Indian companies tend to act very quietly and behind closed doors. I can only remember a single interview with a board member of Mahindra where they publically stated their interest in Saab. They rather focus on the issue itself, which can be a bit unsatisfying if you are as eager as we are to get news but looking at the greater goal also much more efficient.

When I talked to people who worked with Indians they all described them as a bit understated, hard working and reliable. Once they are hooked to a goal they won’t leave until they moved all mountains that are in the way. Even if such a mountain is called GM. They are a large country with different cultures amalgamated into one.

As I already stated earlier Saab can be seen as a logical addition to the automotive portfolio of the Mahindra Group. While they already are strong in the field of rough off road cars, have just launched a contemporary SUV and acquired Ssangyong with a portfolio that is mostly adapted to the Asian market Saab could complete this with cars made for the European and North American customers. Mahindra already tried to enter those markets but have not yet been rewarded with the desired success.

Also the company philosophy is in a way similar to the one at Saab. They are always looking for the best solutions even if they require out of the box thinking. Some of those values that were not wanted under GM could live up again under Indian leadership. Even more as Saab could be a technology leader in certain fields within Mahindra’s automotive sector.

Rest assured that Mahindra realize the full potential of Saab and really want to get the company back on it’s feet. But as much as the Indian mindset fits into what Saab stands for it is also clear that mistakes were made within the Saab. If Mahindra get to buy Saab they will take a close look at every bit of the structure to implement improvements. In my view to launch project Cheetah was very important, albeit it came two years too late. Many processes from the GM era remained under Spyker but made no sense within an independent Saab. All those points have to be found and I am pretty sure that this will be one of the first things that happen at Saab 2.0 before there is even a thought about turning on the production line.

It may require some re-thinking within the remaining team at Saab. In a way the Saab engineers refused to act to GM’s guidelines several times. A good example here is the current 9-3, that was developed on a Vectra base but had not much in common with the Opel base in the end. They were extremely fond of doing it their own way. Within the Mahindra group they’d have to cultivate the culture of cooperation that slowly started under Spyker even more. They have to understand that there is a new, big parent that wants them to prosper but also gives some rules. And there is no other option if this shall succeed. After all the moment for such a rigid change could not be better than with this complete start from zero. Once a proper management team is in place and the Saab found a direction we may see a similar hands-off leadership as Tata does it with JLR.

Even among us within the Saab community a bit of rethinking may be needed. Those Spyker years built up a dream of a small car manufacturer, totally independent of big players. A relief after being mistreated by evil global giant GM for so long. But we have to face reality, this dream was a bit too ambitious to come true. Nevertheless Mahindra could be the option that gives a proper financial background and big ressources while still retaining the core values we like so much about Saab. A few things may change – bigger product portfolio and thus Saabs won’t be as rare as they are today but I could easily live with that.

As a reward there will even be a place for us in the future story of Saab. Indians value their family as their biggest asset and what else than the Saab family are we…?

hans h

Waht a nice thing to read. Thank you, Till. 🙂

Joaquinho

talked to swedish ambassador today … and asked him frankly about the most important question: the future of Saab. From his perspective it is all over, no chance …Youngman, no, Mahindra, no go…I was not happy with this answer, and I am not hoping, I know it, we will all experience a new era of Saab: small scale production will start soon, in a little Swedish garage, these very exclusive cars will be manufactured by the branch of Saab Technolgies, Aircraft.
While this dream comes true, we continue to drive our Saabs, The legend is alive ….

Jasza

I wonder if M&M allow to connect Saab and Ssangyong showrooms?

Bravada from GMI

Umm, Till, are you trying to prepare us for something that you know of, or are those just loose rumblings? I am very surprised by some of the issues you point out, because they aren’t the ones obvious to me. Are you trying to say Saab won’t be an automobile manufacturer under Mahindra, but only an engineering/development centre for Ssangyong and Mahindra vehicles?

TurboX

I understand it as Saab will be THE Brain for all the MM Car manufacturers but there will be SAAB and we will see our brand on the Street as Saab not as some other brand. That’s how I understand the text.

Dan P

Pretty sure all it is saying is that Saab has a lot of existing tech that might be useful to M&M. And yes, that of course Saab would build Saab cars under M&M. Not sure where the confusion comes from!

Coke is it

A good article that gives a good insight to MM.

Will there be an article named “The German Angle” soon? 🙂

TurboX

I shure hope there would be, but have you heard any thing from the European Angel?? I haven’t sadly 🙁

TonymacUK

Surely, you jest!

SaabKen

How’s this for the “German angle” ? [wink]

guy davidson

where do old beer maids go to die? none in that shot

Coke is it

Rüsselsheim?

Douglas Brown

Looks like a good time to me!

bilen
A reson for the reenginering of the 9-3 SS compared to the GM variants was only to protect production i Trollhättan. It was not only stubborness from saabs side. In many cases it is very deliberate. Whoever buys Saab should make a real effort to buy people back. A lot of the significant improvements to the Phoenix platform the last 8 months are not gated and therefore not documented and of no use to anyone except the one who made it. If the information is even saved since this work primarly were made on local harddrives and is to be… Read more »
Mark

It had been rumoured that GM wanted to shift (the Epsilon based) 9-3SS production to Belgium. Saab’s extensive re-engineering effectively put a stop to that. This angered GM because it couldn’t shift production and also the amount of money Saab spent with that re-engineering. Because of this Saab was heavily penalized and planned models in the 9-3 range had to be shelved. However what Saab did possibly saved Trollhattan, and just imagine how very ordinary the car would have been if Saab had built the 9-3 exactly how GM wanted it?

dezzer

I really dont think BMW are in the running……its only us on here that’s actually said BMW are interested, Here’s to Mahrindra, my bet

900 classic cab

I was very glad to read that the TTiD engine does not require GM’s approval.
It’s a really great engine.

Carma

Also: it seems as Mahindra, since June 2011, already actually have a working relationship with Saab. The other Saab, that is. The defensive one.
But still, it can’t be a negative thing…

Mark

That should help in Mahindra securing rights to the Saab Brand name should it win.

TonymacUK

Well, this is interesting;
TTela today; “But when TTELA again make contact with the giant vehicles in Detroit and talk to the press officer James R. Cain, he says:

– We have been approached by several interested parties, but we do not negotiate with any of them. We have not changed in approach to technology licensing, and more.

So that means that you still say no to making the existing Saab models?

– Yes.

And the dialogue have you had with the administrators about this?

– We have communicated to them our position on the matter.”

Dan P

I think at this stage it’s simply understood and accepted – there may be some last-minute dealings but we’ll have to wait and see. The official line is “no deal”. The official line can and does change.

But I think anyone who is at all realistic about the situation knows that the next time we see a new Saab on the road it’ll probably be something we haven’t seen before. Let’s just hope it IS a Saab.

Thylmuc
Seems we need to accept that the 9-5 will remain a rarity that will turn into a true classical. Concerning the overdue next 9-3, I would say that there is a decent chance that Mahindra would have or could hire enough Indian engineers to speed up specific tasks in the development process. (There is also a huge academic working force in China, or so I heard, looking for employment, so the same would presumably also hold for Youngman). If the BMW 1.6 petrol engine deal still is valid, I believe that Fiat would be more than pleased to deliver Diesel… Read more »
E
In Philadelphia we have a football coach (that’s American football 😉 ) who talks in cliches. So much, in fact, that the local paper publishes an article each Monday after a Sunday game entitled “What Andy Says/What Andy Really Means” to help us normal folk understand what he is really talking about. Let me apply some of that “technique” to our good friend, James R. Cain, here as he answers the TTELA comments: What Jim says: “We have been approached by several interested parties, but we do not negotiate with any of them. We have not changed in approach to… Read more »
Thorfinn

What an EXCELLENT posting! Clarity, realism and optimism in equal measures.

spacy

See Brightwell then…..!!

maanders

Well….Brightwell probably asked for something reasonable, GM countered asking for a huge amount of money that would not have fit Brightwell’s business plan for Saab. Thus, to Brightwell, GM was unreasonable.

BarryMemphis
“E” is right. Your comment abount Brightwell is well taken, however, OTHERS might actually be able to achieve success WITH or WITHOUT obtaining licenses from GM. Why? To put it simply, GM *could* see it in their best interest to grant the licenses. Mahindra is actually ‘bigger’ than GM. Yes, they have more MONEY, more assets, more employees, etc. They have a VAST portfolio, amongst which is their own financing ‘arm’ (which may be critical to dealers who require Saab vehicles to be financed at a time when many lenders have ceased financing of Saab vehicles). Please take the time,… Read more »
davidgmills

Once again I hit the wrong button. Can somebody move this damn thing (report comment) to the opposite side of the page? It is so annoying to accidentally hit the thing when all you want to do is reply.

Barry, you and E are making too much sense. You need to stop. Please get back on the emotional roller coaster this site is known for.

Angelo V.

+1 (the part about the “report comment” button!)

MeanSabean

+100 Barry, “M&M actually may have value to GM. They have deep pockets, GM has virtually no presence in India, and most of all, M&M can tell GM to ‘take a hike’ if they don’t grant the licenses”.

Angelo V.

If Andy Reid and James Cain traded places, GM would be better off and the Eagles would go winless.

Jordy

I feel it would be great to have Mahindra as the new owners of Saab, lets face it they have the courage to be different, think along new world ideas, so lets hope it works out.
As far as GM is concerned they should change their name to “Borg Motors”, all they do is assimilate companies, suck out the best and then turn the balance into drones.
I live in Adelaide and our one and only Saab dealership has a Mahindra dealership attached.

hans h

I finally understood that you meant the Borgs from the Star Trek universe.
The swedish financial secretary is Anders Borg, and I thought you meant HIM. Although he has too much power for my liking, it surely can’t be THAT MUCH.

I do agree with you, now that I realise which Borg you are referring to. 🙂

SaabKen

GM to Saab: “Resistance is futile. We will …………. assimilate” 🙁

TonymacUK

In the TTela article, (for what it`s worth), Mahindra seem to be on reasonably good terms with GM.

Thylmuc

Funny enough, in the 80ies, I once flirted with a Mahindra Jeep clon. And I rather liked the off road they sold (or still sell?) in Italy, the Scorpio.

Does anyone still remember that Mahindra had (as it seems, still has) an assembly plant in Greece?

TurboLover

Thanks Till! That was a well written piece, close to 1 Swade 😉

talladegan

I thought the same when I read it. Good piece.

Explorer9

Very interesting article.
Maybe it wouldn’t be too bad to have to wait awhile for completely new Saabs to roll out of the Trollhattan factory again.
If that means a 100% new start, totally liberated from any GM parts & influence, I’m all for it !
I’m sure my 9000 will last a few years more till the all-new Saabs become available..

Angelo V.
A couple quick observations: 1) Transparency is generally a good thing, not a bad thing. If this were the case of a private company having talks with other private companies about selling—-I totally agree that it should or at least could be behind closed doors, no press conferences, no public information unless they WANTED to create some interest by offering the public tid-bits (often done to run up stock prices when mergers or aquisitions are being discussed). In this case, we’re talking about a bankruptcy that involves the public trust and as I understand it, public funds. Quiet? Aloof? Secrecy?… Read more »
bpsorrel

I can’t believe how long this process is taking! Is there something in Swedish law that requires business deals to be done at less than a snail’s pace or is it just the cautious Swedish character, cosssing as many “T”s and dotting as many “I”s as they can find with no sense of the urgency of this matter at all?!

I pray for a good solution before it’s too late…..

Bravada from GMI

By now, nobody cares, Angelo. Many people I meet even today have absolutely no idea that anything happened to Saab. It’s just you, I believe.

And Saab is still a private company. Oh, and Mahindra stands to get involved with billions and billions, that they could easily lose. I guess they’d rather not, so if they in any form of negotiations, I guess they’d take just as long as Mahindra needs to be absolutely sure they are making the decision that best suits their interests.

Angelo V.
Proof is all around you Bravada, that I’m not “the only one.” Do a little reading—-begin in this thread for example. Funny—-you say that you meet people who have no idea anything happened to Saab. I agree with you—-I meet people like that too. I’ve always believed that car buyers and car enthusiasts (and for that matter, Saab enthusiasts) are not one in the same. Most people haven’t even heard about this. That was the reason I wanted a fast resolution—-for the news to be reported that Saab is alive and will be well again—-the brand, factory, employees have been… Read more »
MeanSabean

Angelo -1

BarryMemphis
MeanSabean… -999 (or whatever increased number you want to apply). I don’t always agree with Angelo, but he is most definitely correct. Too much time has passed, the value of the brand has greatly diminished even more, as a result of this elongated period of uncertainty. Many, if not most, dealers have moved on, etc. Bids are bids. As I understand it, the Admistrators have stated that it is neither their responsibility nor their intent to ensure the viability of any ‘bidder’s’ long-term plan (or business plan, PERIOD). If that is true, then it seems to be simple matter of… Read more »
Angelo V.
Barry: I’ll go a step further—-even if it wasn’t as simple as a matter of money—-this could have been and should have been sorted out long ago. Multiply the amount of weeks these Receivers have been on this task by an assumed 40 hour work week for each of them—-and you’re into thousands of hours. I’m assuming they have administrative help—-they aren’t developing anything or creating anything—-this isn’t a process where there is dwell time or creative paralysis that should slow anything down. It’s mostly numbers, it’s phone calls, it’s people—-it’s company backgrounds and company financials—-things that can be researched,… Read more »
Alex740
“This could have been and should have been sorted out long ago…” Angelo, you have no knowledge of the actual process, swedish bankruptcy law, what’s happening in negotiations, what discussions are happening between administrators bidder and GM, not to mention a plethora of other aspects of this process, yet you continue to leave the most arrogant “I could do this better” responses. I respect your passion for Saab but you are sitting behind a computer somewhere in the world typing away criticisms of people who are actively trying to broker a deal to save Saab, so please tone it down… Read more »
Angelo V.
We all hit that darn report button—-not to worry. But I will take you to task on something: Not once have I said “I could do it better.” But I remain convinced, 1000%, that there are indeed people with expertise who could have done it in a more expedient manner—-efficiently, effectively and covering all bases. Also, I agree with you about something: I DON’T know how how hard these people are actually working—or not. And neither do you. That’s because they have failed to communicate. They have failed to outline (in a general way) what steps they are taking—-what they… Read more »
MeanSabean

Many people have absolutely no idea that anything happened to Saab. They can take all the time they need! Which ever Company buys the Saab brand and has all the funds required, it will not matter how long they take to revive the brand. Remember that Money Talks !!!!!!

Dan P
I think a lot of people DO know – everyone knows I am a Saab fan, and many people have reported the bankruptcy etc to me over time (which of course, I already knew about). However I do agree that as long as the next Saab is really killer, it won’t matter. But it will really have to be something special to get people into the dealerships.Of course, there probably won’t be any dealerships left by then, because it’ll take a few years to get a new product out there. On the other hand, the brand will arguably be stronger… Read more »
Angelo V.

What dealerships? Taking seasons to sort this out has driven a good many dealerships out of business. They don’t know the future—-they don’t know if there IS a future—-so they’ve folded.

saabserb
I guess that everyone here (at Saabsunited) and there (in Trollhattan) and everywhere wanted this to be finished 1st of January this year and that SAAB got the best possible owner with vision and sack full of money. But it is not like that, and couldn’t have been like that. remember when the administrators booked the meeting in court in April this year, we couldn’t believe that it would take such long time. But also remember that bankruptcy of a company of this size and proportions is not an everyday’s task. We have a considerable number of companies and people… Read more »
Angelo V.
All fair points—-but I’ll add that sometimes when faults are found in someone’s work, the accusation is rooted in a legitmate grievance. In other words, sometimes criticism is deserved. Do I know for a fact that they aren’t working at a satisfactory level? No. But one thing I can say with certainty is that they are working on a project that most definitely falls under a “public trust” description—-and they have failed miserably in letting the public know some rudimentary aspects of what and when. I suppose it’s possible that “who” “where” “how” and “why” are not anyone’s business—-at least… Read more »
Allan B

Good article Till. I am persuaded that Mahindra are a good bet. A recent conversation I had with a friend in India opened my eyes to the fact that India’s rapid development in the past 15-20 years has seen a remarkable focus on environmentally and socially responsible technology and practices. That sort of thinking will go down well in Sweden.

Angelo V.

Really? I guess we’re reading different sources. I’ve read that China, India and Mexico are guilty of repressing environmental practices to develop industry quickly and competitively—-something we in the U.S. did for decades.

David-SAAB

Here, here!!

leriksso

Middle of May was the date ? I’m right ? I’ts the 9 of May now..so one more week in uncertainty
or will it be end of june now ……?? It takes a long long long time..to long

BTW, Good article

dezzer

which year you talking about !!!!!!

saabyurk

Nice, well reasoned article, the kind I like to read. Thanks!
Seems like Swade has additional well reasoned thoughts today over at Swadeology (http://www.swadeology.com/).

GerritN
Hi Till, I surely appreciate that you spent the time to put your thoughts about Mahindra to paper. However, you make a lot of conjectures and statements that don’t seem to be shored up by any more knowledge about Mahindra than most of us reading SU on a regular basis. You say yourself that Mahindra is very closed (secretive) about their intentions, so how do you back up statements like “They are always looking for the best solutions even if they require out of the box thinking”? Without proper references, even stated as ‘private communication’ such a statement is pretty… Read more »
MeanSabean

Nice Read Till, Due to the fact that things are to quiet I’m still reuting for BMW!

Go BMW Go!!!!!

3cyl

Forget about BMW. Their level of interest is only slightly above that of Studebaker.

I reckon BMWs interest begins and ends with the Phoenix platform, IMO. I hope all this has a positive outcome.

BarryMemphis
SaabKen

Good points.

And I don’t see why Mahindra can’t partner with other automakers to jointly develop new, or purchase the rights to, engines, powertrain, platforms, etc. I mean really, SAAB has always been a quirky (but intelligent) amalgamation of different technologies and componentries (is that a word ???) of different sources, and I don’t see its future all that different. Ssangyong while not an automotive giant, has capabilities and it’s the 4th largest Korean automaker (after Hyundai-KIA, GM Korea, Daewoo) and I think a good relationship between Ssangyong and Saab is more than possible.

saabyurk

Where am I going wrong on Mahindra, is Wikipedia wrong? GM has 10 times the revenue of the Mahindra group, and nearly twice the employees. Still big, but I don’t think that big.

Coke is it

Maybe they don’t have as many managers managing over each other… big companies from US usually have to many levels of managers doing nothing useful at all.

Markishmark

What a nice story! Thanks Till.

aa

If Mahindra is in some way like Tata Saab would be in good hands. Jaguar and Land Rover was in a very bad condition when Tata bought them. They believed in JLR and let them do their thing and today they’re having big momentum.

SaabKen

Look at Ssangyong’s lineup:

Hey how about a SAAB 9-9 Chairman ? 😉

3cyl

Not bad for people who are dissapointed that they missed out on the previous line of Cadillacs.

Ronnie_Rad

I find it strange how people compare Saab and Mahindra to Tata and Jaguar/LR.

Thats like saying, “American car companies are great because Ford treated Volvo well!” when we all know that GM was the jerkoff of the century in regard to Saab. For all we know, Mahindra could be the “GM” of India, while Tata is more like the “Ford” of India.

Stop stereotyping.

Mark
If Mahindra chooses to run Saab like Tata runs JLR, Saab would have a very good chance of success. If it chooses to run Saab the way GM did, then failure is most likely. Hopefully history and commonsense will steer Mahindra in the right direction? With the current 9-3, I think GM just wanted Saab to tart up a Vectra and sell it as competition to Audi and BMW. Saab wasn’t happy with that and made considerable changes to try and make the car and platform more ‘premium’, which it did to a limited extent. That cost a lot of… Read more »
hans h

I agree

Alex740

Great write up, agree on all points, hope they can do it! I think we are the only people talking about the BMW bid, don’t think it exists.

Simply9-5

Well I got bored and decided to see what a Mahindra & Mahindra XUV500 would look like if it was Saabified.

Kinda looks like the Saab 9-4X, only more Indian.

SaabKen

Ssangyong worked with Mercedes to build the Musso, which in some markets was sold as a Mercedes: