According to DI: M&M could build petrol Saab cars

DI.se is the only source of this piece of News, so don’t get too excited about it, but this could be the missing link in the whole NEVS story.

Saab’s new major shareholder Kai Johan Jiang said at Wednesday’s press conference that the owner company Nevs secured financing of 7 billion Crowns to manufacture and develop electric cars.

7 billion Crowns are about 997 Million USD, so it is a big amount of money. But it won’t last forever, so they will have to sell cars to keep Saab afloat, and maybe they won’t be able to sell enough EV’s

Development and production of electric cars will also be supplemented with traditional car manufacturing facility in Trollhättan. These cars would be equipped with low carbon output [engines]. It says sources told Dagens Industri on Thursday.

This sounds interesting, but it is not confirmed.

A collaboration with Indian Mahindra said to be an opportunity and facilitate the possibility of access to the Saab brand, as India is the defense group Saab’s most important markets. Nevs have not yet cast got right to the trademark Saab and negotiate with Scania and defense group Saab on the matter.

Di’s sources assume that the Indian company in a partnership will be responsible over the complete development of the Saab Automotobiles Phoenix Platform. The platform used for the production of the new Saab 9-3, designed by designer Jason Castriota. About 40 percent of the development work to be done, for a cost estimated at nearly 2 billion.

The new Saab 9-3 fuel-powered car is expected to hit the market just over two years.

They are saying, that because Saab AB and M&M already collaborate in India, NEVS will try to get M&M on-board to build petrol-powered Saab cars, and use the contacts between M&M and Saab AB to get access to the SAAB brand name.

As I’ve said before, this is not news as words like “assume” can be found in the text, but in the last months I have noticed that when you saw some smoke, there has always been a fire behind.

Keith

Wow. Speculation on top of speculation. We might call it speculation cubed.

There is one thing certain from all this news, however. It appears Angelo’s date with Rachel Pang is done. Kaput.

I’m sorry Angelo.

Jeroen

DI’s print version actually has a quote from Rachel Pang. According to DI, she picked up with “tension in her voice” and said that she couldn’t comment at this point. She referred to the PR department of Youngman.

Keith

Ahhhh, opportunity. Tension in her voice. Rachel may need comforting. Angelo – you’re back in!

adde

What happened to Angelo? Havent seen his posts for some time.

bpsorrel

Could he already be comforting…. 🙂

dezzer

sitting in a KFC in Washington DC with the lady on his arm……complete with a bargain bucket !!

adde

Good news everyone!
I found Angelo. He’s totaly censored and his comments can only be seen in Activity part of this site.
Apparently he has touched a sensible nerv somewhere and have been “arrested” by moderators. Well there in “jail” he’s trying to survive on bread and water, and as ive heard daily torture is common on every day-basis. 🙂
Feel free to send him a PM.

Free Angelo! (and free booze to rest of us!) 😀

Baver

I agree, free Angelo. He says he is coming around and hopes for the best. He just is a little overly exuberant at times. He does have an Italian name and the Italians are known to be quite passionate in their beliefs.

Funniest darn thing I’ve read all year! LOL

jagoblu

brilliant!! 🙂

davidgmills

Now is not the time to ban Angelo. He could be consoling Rachel and we will miss out on the details.

Kimberly

It’s a shame that if someone doesn’t agree with groupthink they get banned. 🙁

Nate 9-3

I am sure that Angelo would have no problem serving as “the rebound”.

Belfast_Saab

A flicker of hope…that’ll keep me interested in ‘new’ Saab a while longer…….this would be a very good outcome for all.

adde

Agreed.

JerseySaab

Absolutely, this is wonderful news if true, and certainly seems like the best path to success – build real cars for the here and now, see if they can make electric cars feasible for the future. Now we have more news to wait for…

Kimberly

Agreed.

I’d buy a performance-oriented Saab (keep it driver-oriented with the fantastic ergonomics the 9-3 always had) and would love a hybrid 9-3, especially if it works more like the BMW ActiveHybrid3 and results in an increase in performance when desired along with improved economy under normal driving conditions. Just one thing: keep the timing chain in the engine – don’t go with a crappy timing belt. The extra durability and maintenance-free nature of a timing chain is well worth the tradeoff for a tiny bit more vibration.

Kimberly
If they come out with Turbo X performance (or better!) again, I’m there – especially if it is a hybrid with assistive mode for further increased performance on demand, with even better economy than the 9-3 currently delivers. Electric only? Impractical for nearly everyone, making Saab even more of a niche product. A hybrid will reach Saab’s historical niche in spades, and a performance-oriented hybrid will break Saab out of the niche. Just improve the interior materials (no more shortsighted GM bean counters castrating Saab!) then the MSRP that keeps entry-level BMW and Audi out of Saab showrooms will be… Read more »
Belfast_Saab

and of course India drive on the same side of the road us in the UK – NEVS seem interested only inChina, and later USA, so UK (Australia/NZ/India) will otherwise miss out on any new models.

bpsorrel

+1 Good news indeed. I’m all in favour of the EVs, but this is even better! 🙂 Bring on a new convertible and I’m there, money in hand!

Mark

I also agree that Saab should build EVs and Hybrids too, but they should be a gradually increasing part of Saab’s product range. Not the only products.

rune

This makes much more sense than what was said at the press conference yesterday.

M.A.

Maybe they are free to negotiate deals that actually make (drive)sense now that all the bull* negotiations with the receivers are behind them.
IC engines and car production in THN are the keys to SAAB name also.

Skipper

Well if this turns out to be true and REAL Saabs get made in Trollhattan again, I will not need to visit the Volvo dealer in a few years time. 😉

E. Boon
Nothing against EV’s. All car manufacturers develop them next to their exiting fuel engine program. In fact it’s how they fund the R&D. The technology is not ready yet to replace the fuel engine market. SAAB dealers and SAAB customers need SAAB’s “today”. Not just “tomorrow”. The NEVS deal as known today is unreal. China targeted EV’s, engineered and made in Sweden. That simply means that development and start-up will be paid by the Swedish taxpayer and when the volume is there mass production will be in the country itself. The big winner in this set up is the Chinese… Read more »
Belfast_Saab

+1, and why Saab not yet agreed to let name go to NEVS, they’re clearly not convinced either….

Kimberly
The problems with electric vehicles are: * Range is completely unpredictable because HVAC, defroster and accessory load is variable * Fast recharge = massive heating of batteries, faster wear, incomplete charge * Deep cycling is very bad for all battery cell types (except NiMH), but particularly bad for Li-ion/Li-polymer * A 400-mile drive goes from a 6.5-hour drive to 2-3 days (8-20 hours to recharge after 60 to 200 miles) * Limited recharge stations * If you do run out of charge, you can’t just call AAA or walk to the nearest station to get a gallon of fuel to… Read more »
Niklas G

>Range is completely unpredictable because HVAC, defroster and accessory load is variable
I read some test recently where a Volvo hybrid got the inside temperature up from -20 to 20 degrees C in something like 5 minutes (I do not remember the exact figures, but it got warm rather fast), but then they used some of the fuel to speed up the initial heating when starting the car in cold Swedish winter weather. So I guess that or similar is the standard to compare against for cars sold in cold climate regions.

ivo 71
That’s not the point, Niklas. The point is that HVAC, defroster, lighting and accessories put an extra load on the battery as that’s the only source of energy. So, if you claim, say, a range of 300 miles on a fully charged battery then this distance will be reduced rapidly to much less -next to nothing in some cases- in real life if you use the accessories and subsystems mentioned. And then you can plug your EV into the grid and wait another 8 to 20 hours before you can continue your trip. And those charging times are not even… Read more »
Thylmuc

Heating, though, could be done by another energy source, like ethanol.

ivo 71

Making the car even heavier? Have doubts. It would be like heating a spacecraft with a gas hearth.

Ivo

Thylmuc

Err, you are assuming batteries, then? Any information that NEVS wants to use batteries? Or, for what it’s worth, today’s battery technology? I could not find anything in the press conference/documents.

All of the problems you mention would not be present in hydrogen/fuel cell EVs.

Skipper

Just about everything concerning NEVS makes no sense as far as I’m concerned.

Mark

This is the collaboration I have preaching about for the past couple of weeks. NEVS with a car manufacturer could be very good for Saab. NEVS by itself would likely be the opposite. Hopefully sense will prevail and M&M will come on board. I think it is the only real now that Saab now has?

Skipper

I also think NEVS alone and just producing electric cars would be another road to ruin.I just wish NEVS would come out and tell us all what they really intend to do!

adde

One question that is still in my head is, how important is brand “Saab” for NEVS and M&M? They (NEVS) have already purchased technology and Phoenix. M&M is supposedly coming in as well. Why would they keep production in Trollhättan in case they cant use name “Saab”. What would keep them here? (both NEVS and M&M)

Keith

In fairness, NEVS probably doesn’t know exactly what they intend to do. They didn’t acquire an operational car company, they’ve acquired a bunch of stuff, parts of which used to be a car company. NEVS isn’t exactly an experienced car manufacturer.

It rather appears NEVS will “feel” their way through this. Which is brilliant for Tim & SU – it means lots of articles and reader interest on what might be.

Allan B

This is another interesting development. If it is true it could be great. Both India and China are becoming leaders in cleaner, greener energy and transport so it would be no surprise if Mahindra want to work with NEVS. So let’s wait and see.

RandomGuy

Is it only me who interpret “Di’s sources assume that the Indian company in a partnership will be responsible over the complete development of the Saab Automotobiles Phoenix Platform.” as Mahindra will do this _in India_ and not Trollhättan.
So what we got is platform engineering work done in india by Mahindra and battery/electronics done in Japan and a plant in Trollhättan with a few hundred engineers doing what I assume is testing and tuning?
Doesn’t sound very Saabish to me to be honest.

e050367

The guys in NEVS may not be so stupid anyway. In this way, they can reassure doubters regarding clean cars. Is this true, it is very smart and a pipe dream for all of us saab enthusiasts. electric cars, yet have access to Swedish / Chinese environmental money.
Nothing’ve said openly of an additional partners such as M & M as a manufacturing more conventional
cars.

MeanSabean

Red J,you’ve done this before with your unconfirmed stories! I’ll believe it when it’s announced and confirmed!!!

xelav
Hey, finally some common sense in their business plans , tomorrow I go test drive an outback and a Lexus . Despite of all good means from Jeff et all. I am not going to buy a car that can’t drive 600km in one peace. Or rent a car for the holidays that can do that either.If they come up with hybrids, I’ll wait for it, but as they said yesterday, they are only going to produce full electro cars and only for the Chineés and US markets then it’s goodby. I have been waiting and stressing for a good… Read more »
Mark

I agree, NEVS seems like a horse wearing blinkers. It can only see in on direction and not necessarily the right direction. It seems to care little for Saab’s customer base and it’s history. Buying Saab’s car factory and the brand (if it get’s it?) is perhaps only a convenient step in it’s overall plans?

Mark

Ben

I have trouble imagining how this might work. Can you really have a cohesive model range with mahindra funding bits and nevs funding bits? I assume all the development still happens at Saab in trollhaten so it would be hard to split costs and then profits ect. Maybe I’m not reading this right but it seems a bit messy.

Mark

You bring up an interesting point. It might be that history gets to repeat itself? When Saab was with Scania, it was often said that Scania made the profits and Saab spent them. This could be the same with Mahindra and NEVS. Mahindra might be quite profitable selling conventional cars and perhaps hybrids and NEVS selling comparatively small numbers of EVs, might well be quite a loss maker.

sandborg

Of course they will build petrol/gasoline cars. Can’t live on love or electric cars alone guys & girls

Vector-SS

I’ve had my hopes up way too many times before to be crushed again. Until something is confirmed, I won’t believe anything anymore and I’ll stick by my opinion against EV vehicles only.

hughw

Sounds good if true, but I have doubts. Why on earth not have even a tiny mention of this partnership in the news conference yesterday>

Legally Saab

Because it would have raised questions that could not be answered at this point? It does not seem to be a done deal yet.

Legally

adde

Who knows…Maybe to avoid possibly unconfortable questions about M&M/bidding process/Youngman from reporters.

boxman

Aaaaaarh………….. just when we thought the roller coaster was about to stop, we whiz past the finish line and start again. could be the answer though.

hans h

A very good description of my feelings right now.

Thylmuc

In other words: In order to get the brand name “SAAB”, they may need Mahindra to put pressure on Saab AB? Sounds weird to me. Saab AB has officially stated that they are willing to allow further use of the brand provided production continues in Trollhättan and the new owner is competent, or something to this effect. Seems that this is the case, with or without Mahindra.

Of course, I hope that production starts soon again, for the sake of Trollhättan!

Mark

I think Saab AB and Scania AB require volume car production at Trollhättan not just token amounts of cars being made. I think NEVS might have a hard time guaranteeing that without M&M?

Skipper

NEVS have never built a single vehicle of any sort, in fact NEVS have never built ANYTHING at all. OK maybe they have some funding and a few bright people here and there, but as a company they have absolutely NO experience of making anything at all, therefore I don’t believe that they can do it without the help of a company that knows the industry. Whoever that may turn out to be!

phermansson

I hope you are aware that they just bought all the know-how they would ever need from SAAB. There are lots of former Saab employees who has already been re-employed and they have produced tons of cars for many years and certainly know how to produce stuff 😉

Mark
Tim, that sounds good but what proportion of the old SAAB design and technical staff (non production) have been re-employed? My concern is the real quality people have found other jobs and are not available. For me SAAB is its people, and if that can be put back together again then SAAB has a chance IF NEVS can set a realistic direction. I do continue to worry that NEVS does not buy into the SAAB ethos and their objectives are so different from what was SAAB that what they will produce will not be a SAAB. I still believe at… Read more »
ivo 71

Lots, yes, up to a point. But many key people are gone. I read that about 1.500 ex-Saab employees are still out of work in THN. That means that the other 2.000+ have found a job elsewhere.
Ivo

Thylmuc

Like in those “consulting companies” now eagerly waiting for the next contract from NevSaab? Or in the mining industry up North (as I read somewhere here)? Well, IF I could find a job in mining, deep down under the soil, I for one would not change back to a lousy job in a stinking high tech company 😉

ivo 71

Mining engineers generally don’t work underground.

Ivo

Skipper
Yes Tim I am aware of the fact that they have bought some “know how” as you put it, however VM did that and look what happened, and he did at least have some prior experience of making cars, but not on a large scale. It just worries me that NEVS seem to be just a bunch of people with funds and no experience of owning and running a car company. At least when VM took over at Saab he had a managing director and a board of directors already working at Saab, who had been there for some time,… Read more »
Thylmuc
In contrast to some of the people her, I don’t think that VM made much mistakes. He evidently had a plan A, which was based on selling 50000 cars a year, but also a plan B which included funds injecting by Antonov. After both plans failed, he even was prepared for a plan C which was (rightfully) based on the assumption that Chinese companies might be interested. We know what happened, but I mostly believe that this was a weird aggregation of oddities. Also, the situation is now different, since apparently, NEVS has _much_ more money at hand, and, for… Read more »
adde

More maybe be on their way back to Saab.
“Darkened loss.
Volvo Cars CEO Stefan Jacoby argued in May that the company made a profit of 1.6 billion last year. Basically the car maker made a resounding loss of 7,3 billions SEK.”

Peter Gilbert

If Mahindra indeed would build SAABs under the SAAB name would NEVS be able to use the SAAB Brand? this is getting more confusing by the day. An EV must supplement a conventional fleet not be alone. If SAAB could not sell the fantastic
NG 9-5 how will they market electric. This is a serious question I am asking.

Coke is it

I wonder where Toyota fits in in this equation… could it be that it is Toyota that want to build their own cars in the Saab factory or is there interest only in providing the platform for the small EV1?

Troels, Denmark

Yes, strange to hear Toyota and Saab in the same sentence – i.m.o. complete opposite philosophy’s…

It’s not so bad when you think about it. Toyota is mostly known for it’s reliability as does Saab. GM on the other hand was known for less flattering things. Opel was not much of a car before the THN engineers were married into the family so to speak.
PS. Anyone else hate those Turbo badges on all the Astra’s and Insignia’s nowadays?

hans h

Not to mention the Insignia Turbo X…. :-/

Kyle Merrihew
If this is true, this could be the best case scenario for Saab. Saab stands for innovation and could be a fore leader in the electric car world. However, I do not think the market is ready for mass production electric vehicles. Having said that, I believe petrol cars or even hybrids are essential to keep this company afloat in today’s marketplace. There needs to be something to fall back on if in fact the new electric cars don’t do well. Electric cars are the future, I just don’t want to see the owner of Saab jump into this too… Read more »
leriksso
Someone has a lot to prove now to rebuilt the faith for the brand I want a declaration of how NEVS supose to handle SAAB if they get right to the trademark. Products, future, financing, parts, customer service, production and so on ……. Only then can I possibly consider changing my today’s negative attitude towards NEVS. No secrets up there sleeve.No empty words, no nonsense, no mambo jambo, and no “ups” forgot to say at the press conference. NEVS … WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR SAAB? True will be fine…..ok “The early bird get the worm, but the second mouse… Read more »
saabdog

If true, bring it on!

hilmar

Whew, I should take a cure. Fear I am getting paranoia from all these speculations, could and would should have and may be. Hope time will heal this madness. I need a time machine to travel into 2014.%-(

OddJob

Sounds like the missing link in NEVS business proposition.

Actually, at the press conference Mattias Bergman from nevs said something like “Our main markets are China, US and India, but more on that later”

M&M could make this puzzle complete.

adde

Btw, whats GM’s stance in question about M&M+IP rights for 9-5/9-4X? So far i know they refuse to let chinese companies to use it due to allegedly competition on chinese market. So how about an indian company? Is it same there?

Mark

Since NEVS would still be involved, I’m guessing GM would still be just as recalcitrant as before. But the bigger Saab’s owners are, the more pressure that can be applied to GM. In any event, I doubt that GM will build any more 9-4xs’.

adde

No idea how following works, but is it possible to make a contract like “here are IP, it will cost you X% of every sold car, and you may sell both 9-5 and 9-4X allover the world EXCEPT China.” Both signs the contract and thats it.
I mean is it possible, generaly, to do something like that?

Skipper

GM will not be at all interested in, or worried by NEVS! At this point in time, NEVS as a business does not even truly exist, it has no turnover, it sells nothing, it has never sold anything and it has never made anything. It is merely an entity with some funds, some ideas and some apparently switched on people. BUT…..can they make cars and profits? I doubt it, not without help anyway!!!!

Turbo_Charged

I have been out of the loop for a few days but I rad that NEVS had bough the rights to the 9-3 platform. I never found out who from & what that meant – id someone could enlighten me.

I still dont thing Saab AB is going to let NEVS use the name.

TonymacUK

“Low carbon output” – does that mean the MY12 9-3? And if so, does it follow that production of that car will soon re-commence as an interim measure?

Skipper

Be nice if it does mean that, but who knows?

JoPlSe

I would really like to see some BioPower Saabs until the electric cars are mature enough for the public. BioPower would fit NEVS bio mass production philosophy. A recent study indicates that new production technologies for developing ethanol would cover a great part of the Swedish consumption. There are a lot of unused farmlands in Sweden where it would be possible to grow fuel crops.

It would be nice if Mahindra could procude the cars together with NEVS under the Saab brand.

Thylmuc

Well then, enjoy ruining your landscape. When driving through Germany, all I can see are huge mono cultures of corn and rape. (I exagerrate just a bit)

Mark

A cynical person might wonder if this just a ploy so NEVS can get to use the SAAB brand name.

That’s why there are contracts and clauses 😉
Swedish R&D center, BioPower-eXWD/Hybrids and a local minimum production requirement (X % of all cars manufactured) would be a good start.

I kinda like your idea.

saabyurk
Kinda like the first reply to most current post on the Life With Saab blog. I’ll cut and paste it for reader’s convenience (not necessarily my opinion): “ngu • 14 hours ago − I am from Hong Kong, where the company “China Dragon Base Holdings Limited”(中國兆龍恒基控股有限公司)which owns a majority stake in NEVS through a BVI company, is supposed to be based. Yet I have never heard of this China Dragon Base company locally, nor its owner. I think NEVS’s acquisition of Saab is merely a way for a foreign car marque “SAAB” to be affixed on China-made cars intended for… Read more »
SaabLife

Considering how direct NEVs was with the Chinese market and almost no reference to the other global markets (mainly the west) I would guess this makes sense.

Once all is said and done I can really see this happening once all of the contracts are signed and dotted.

derek

I really doubt Mahindra is going to build petrol Saab 9-3’s. Why help a competitor? The only way they would if they are acting as a paid consultant and help NEVS get the factory started again and later help develop the petrol powered Phoenix. Or if NEVS does a joint venture with Mahindra.

derek

Actually, what NEVS should do is partner with Youngman or Mahindra. Youngman really wants the Saab name. If Youngman helps design cars in return for having NEVS sell them to Youngman at a cheap price (like Magna did for Saab 9-3 Cabriolets/Convertibles), then that is not so bad.

SaabKen
OddJob

Mahindra a competitor??!!! Please check their website.

troy

I don’t think you will see these cars globally. If it happens at all it will be for China and China only.

Skipper
NEVS does not instill confidence at all. What they have said so far makes little or no sense to a lot of us and at best it simply does not add up. Normally when a company is bought, the new owners have a proper coherent plan to put forward to past and potential customers, suppliers and also to a workforce. Everything that NEVS have said so far just raises even more questions and doubts about their intentions,motives and abilities. I can remember when Tata bought Jaguar, they told the whole planet very quickly what they intended to do, it sounded… Read more »
lmg
That’s the thing. This doesn’t make any sense whatsoever! – Kai Johan Jiang, previously in bioenergy (equipment and energy production) through hay boilers. – Mattias Bergman – Springtime, a PR guy. – Carl Erling Trogen – Former Volvo Trucks – lately involved in Jiangs ethanol project in Sveg (now scrapped?) – Virgin Island registered, apparently no need for NDRC approval – Sun Investment- a Japanese Green investment fund, unknown to the rest of the world – Business plan in short. Relaunch 9-3 as EV in 2014. Then Phoenix. – Main market China. Day after announcement Jiang states he got up… Read more »

😉

Skipper

Well I just checked out the NEVS website, it is still as it was! No update regarding their intentions, in fact nothing new at all. At best this is not looking very professional, if they don’t even update their website, what chance have they got? Why have they not used the website to broadcast news of their wonderful acquisition? As someone else has already stated on SU, the website looks cheap and looks like it was done by a kid. The first thing they need is a PR man I guess! LOL!!!!

Dan P

They need a web designer. Guys, I am available for hire 🙂

Niklas G

In my opinion, the first thing they need to do is to finalize the deal, finalize all negotiations with Saab and others, hire staff, develop new Saabs etc. PR and a flashy web site is useful when they have something to sell, but who cares in 18 months what the web pages looked like today? 🙂

lmg

Actually, their COO preseneted as “Operativt ansvarig” is a PR-guy working for Sprintime, previously Exportrådet.

Doesn’t strike me as the type of person who set-up a car company.

phermansson

The first thing they need is to work out all their details, getting all the right people… I think their website is item number 445679 on their list 😉

You should cool down Skipper, you’ve got a lot of attitude and you’re waving around your opinions time and time again… take it easy and watch, you might just learn something 😉

Skipper

Yes Tim, I do have attitude and I am waving my opinions around time and time again, that is what people do in open forums such as SU. Yes I really should cool down Tim you are right! 😉

rune

There is a comments policy in effect — even if we have not been good at pointing it out (or enforcing it).

Please state your opinion once and be done with it. I know I’m not good at following this rule myself, but we all need to get better at not repeating our personal beliefs over and over again. Too much noise and too little content.

Skipper

Yes Rune, I am well aquainted with the policy. However if a comment is made which needs the same/similar response to one made previously, then a similar response would obviously need to be made. I shall of course bear in mind your views and those of Tim. I shall attempt to make my opinions follow in line with what is deemed to be an acceptable belief, with more content and less noise. I shall try to keep the status quo wherever possible.

rune
Feel free to air your opinions, all I am asking (and I think Tim agrees) is that you do it once, not twenty. And there is a fine difference between forgetting that rule in the heat of the moment a couple of time, and simply bluntly ignoring it time and time again. I believe our favorite lovebird got into trouble for flooding his views ten-fold. ‘Less is more’ (insert similar truisms as needed here). FWLIW: I believe both the pro-EV camp as well as the EV-denier camp would agree on at least one thing: Choice is good and ideally an… Read more »
Skipper
I shall bear your comments in mind. Personally I am not actually anti EV as such, I just do not think that it will take off in Europe or the USA in the way that it may in China. The range of the current EV’s is awful except for town/city use, therefore at this moment in time and probaly for a long time yet, they will not be as popular as they may be in China. Hybrids are a different case as are bio fuel cars or course. I am not really anti anything at all, so long as it… Read more »
Brian Hamilton

Well Skipper, from the looks of your photo you’re a man of my own heart!
Personally, I’ve been enjoying your comments and think they’ve been mostly valid.

Skipper

Thanks Brian. The photo? Oh you mean a girl on each arm of course (and neither of them is my wife) LOL!!!

liftarn

According to http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/fordon_motor/bilar/article3494416.ece the PhoeniX will be built with hybrid drive.

peeceepeh

There’s one more disturbing piece of information in this article:
“Nevs har nämligen ännu inte fått rätten till varumärket Saab och förhandlar med Scania och försvarskoncernen Saab om saken.”
Transl.: Now Nevs has not yet got to right to the trademark Saab and is negotiating with Scanis and the defense company Saab on this matter.
Is this true? I mean, Nevs bought all of Saab, and Saab has the right to use the brand name, so why should the New Saab not be allowed to use the brand name?

rune

Well, there are many questions left unanswered and I believe the rumors of NEVS negotiating with other companies for production of the hybrid version of the Phoenix.

What makes a Saab a real Saab can get confusing very fast. I would be surprised if these negotiations could reach a conclusion before the whole picture becomes crystal clear.