Goodbye Curvin, Thanks Is All I Can Say

It is with great sadness that we let everyone here at SaabsUnited know that our friend and Saab Ad man Curvin O’Rielly lost his battle with cancer on Friday night. For a man that I never met but had the chance to interact online here and through Facebook, it greatly saddens me to have received the news last night through the crew mail.

I am Curvin’s son in law.  I noticed your nice historical posts on Curvin and his ad work with Saab.  I am writing to let you know that the original Saab ad man has passed away here in Saratoga Springs, Friday night.  I can forward you a link to an obit when it is published in the next couple of days.  I found your posts as we searched online for more material for his obit.

Darren, Saratoga Springs, NY

Curvin is the man responsible for the 1979 Saab tagline “the most intelligent car ever built”. Back in November of 2010 Swade did a profile on him where Curvin introduced himself to all of us.

My favorite print ads from his time with Saab ads are these:

And

If you click the link above to read the profile he did for Swade, you will see that this mans background was so much more than just Saab, heck this man is responsible for the Jello pudding ad campaign with Bill Cosby that ran for 32 years. He has won virtually every award you can in advertising as well.

His simple philosophies from the Swade post are great rules to live by.

As a copywriter, I have a simple philosophy: “Every word weighed before use.”
As a copywriter, creative director and brand strategist, my philosophy is equally simple: “Be on-target strategically but off-center creatively.”

I had noticed that on July 2 he had posted a photo of himself at home and I couldn’t have been happier and then yesterday receiving this news of his passing, what a shock.

I believe I read somewhere that he was a speaker at the 2010 SOC and with the 2012 SOC going on right now, I would ask that everyone think of memories of Curvin while you’re out there enjoying the sights and sounds of Saab this weekend. He was what we want to see in Saab and had a great way of marketing to everyone. As he once said, it’s hard to build a reputation in the car business and very easy to kill it. Curvin, you really knew how to build a reputation and your work and the way you carried yourself spoke to the character you possessed and it is one I will truly miss.

CoolCombi
4 years 1 month ago

I met Curvin at SOC2010. His ads, along with Bob Sinclairs leadership, put Saab back on the map in the US. My favorite ad: “If IBM, Boeing and NASA built a car, would you buy it? Of course you would. They don’t. But Saab does.” A sad day indeed.

julie@KellySAAB

You did great work while here in our realm and through it will live forever.
My favorite quote from him was definitely “Be on-target strategically but off-center creatively.” and it can be seen in so much of the work he did, not just for SAAB but for others as well. A genius has truly left us.
R.I.P. Curvin

Anders

RIP

coggs
4 years 1 month ago

Only had the pleasure of meeting Curvin once but it was a pleasure. Had some great stories. Cancer is a birch. Been there, done that. 🙁

Peter, Sweden
4 years 1 month ago

I often let my students watch through some of Curvin’s work when we’re discussing and studying copywriting and advertising, and his work always manages to impress them as much as they’ve always impressed me. Sad to see him leaving the world 🙁

900 classic cab

RIP

rune
4 years 1 month ago

“Former Saab ad writer, Curvin O’Reilly, was also in attendance today. He offered both his credit card and checkbook, but still wasn’t allowed to take PhoeniX home.”

I never met Curvin in person, but I always enjoyed reading about him and his comments here. He will be missed.

paul
4 years 1 month ago

Same here – everything I’ve read by and about him made me really hope to get to meet him some time. Great guy.

maanders
4 years 1 month ago

Saw him at the U.S. SOC 2010 on a panel discussion at one of the dinners, presenting a pitch on how Saab (under Spyker ownership) could get back to a hard-hitting ad campaign. Then at SOC 2011, I had the chance to meet him and talk with him briefly as we looked at cars out on display for the People’s Choice and Concourse voting.

My condolences to his family.

spacy
4 years 1 month ago

I never met Curvin, but wish him ‘God’s speed’ on his next journey.

Cancer is such a bitch of a illness……it should be banned by God!!.

Ian Glenday
4 years 1 month ago

Thanks Darren for letting us know. May he rest in peace!!!!

paddan
4 years 1 month ago

My deepest sympathy to the O’Rielly family. What witty, interesting and engaging man. RIP my friend.

JH
4 years 1 month ago

I never met Mr. O’Reilly but I must say that his ads were very impressive and his Saab enthusiasm very obvious. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family.

4 years 1 month ago

I remember those print ads from MANY years ago. Curvin is up there in heaven with Bob Sinclair tearing up the roads in his Saab.

Rest in peace.

SpinM

RIP

Chris Ivory
4 years 1 month ago

So sorry to learn this. Our thoughts and prayers with all those affected at this time.

meg haviland
4 years 1 month ago

To Curvin, it was a pleasure meeting you several times and talking Saab. I always appreciated your support on my delivery pics on FB from my short stint of selling the brand we loved again. I know you will be finding your own road again driving along side with Uncle Bob….my prayers to your family. RIP.

meg haviland
4 years 1 month ago

Any word when and where the services will be? I would like to pay my respects in person…..depending upon location, Saratoga is not too far driving a Saab.