Youngman Considering Their Own Legal Action

Our favorite writer over at Just Auto, Simon Warburton, has posted a very interesting story today about Youngman looking at the possibility of filing their own suit against GM. What a crazy 24hrs this has been. Just yesterday Victor Muller through Spyker brought a 3 billion dollar lawsuit against GM for unlawful actions and now today there is this possible lawsuit to come forward from Youngman. It’s starting to look like a deck of cards falling in on General Motors and one that I think is rightfully deserved.

From the Just Auto article, Lars Holmqvist the former head of CLEPA says:

“Youngman is also thinking about suing GM,” Holmqvist told just-auto from Sweden. “I know that. They have not made up their minds and, of course, they would be encouraged by Victor Muller’s lawsuit.

“I have information. I know from people…they are looking into the possibility. It is obvious because they spent SEK550m…securing the rights to the new platform.”

Victor Muller claims that GM deliberately drove Saab into bankruptcy by interfering in Youngman’s attempt to buy Saab and from what we can see right now, there are some areas that seem to be obvious where GM over stepped their rights. With Youngman now looking into to their own possible lawsuit, it would seem that GM has some serious issues surrounding them.

Will GM take these suits seriously? I think they have little choice but to take them serious and if they are smart, in my mind they will want to settle quickly. GM is not in a good position to deal with any negative publicity and this has the potential to be crippling to the auto giant. Lars had this to say about weather GM takes it serious or not:

“I hope Detroit takes it seriously because the one thing about Victor Muller is he is a smart lawyer,” added Holmqvist. “This is going to cost a lot of money. He has got more energy than the whole management group of GM put together.”

Weather you have faith or trust in Victor and his abilities, that line says a lot about the determination and character of Victor Muller when the former head of the suppliers body describes you this way.

The article also goes on to say that if Spyker is to be awarded any of this suit that part of it would go back to Saab and then on to the creditors. So that being said, this case means a lot to a lot of different parties and could in the end be the start of some serious headaches for GM.

GM of coarse is defending themselves saying that these suits are baseless and without merit, to which I would have to believe is just lawyer talk and fluff. I am sure this has them worried and they will have to take this seriously and they will probably try to settle because as the late Curvin O’Rielly once said, “It’s hard to build a reputation in the car business. And so easy to kill it.” This suit and others that may follow could potentially cast a darker shadow on GM then what there is now and it is very difficult to recover from such damage to their reputation. I think too and these are my personal thoughts, when different companies start to come forward and get somewhere with their litigations, it will undoubtably bring more.

As Lars Holmqvist further makes mention in the article of further potential balls rolling GM’s way:

“There are very strange things that happen,” said Holmqvist. “I see some papers and emails that are very interesting regarding the action of GM. It is not going away.

“I suspect we have another scandal coming up. If this ball starts rolling, there will be more balls rolling.”

This is not looking good for GM, not good at all. Youngman was not available for comment and would suspect they will not comment until they do or do not take action.

Chris Ivory
4 years 1 month ago

Very interesting developments in the last 36 hours or so.

spacy
4 years 1 month ago

Of course GM, could get out of all these potential damages from claims, by [He,He] declaring themselves insolvent/bankrupt if substantial awards are made against them.

But as they are giants, I doubt even they could pull that one off.

Let the proceedings begin…….” Revenge is a dish, best served cold”.

xlx
4 years 1 month ago

well giant currently with a bit of unstable equilibrium

74StingSaab
4 years 1 month ago

peek a boo…. GM , we see you. Just the negative talk of Spyker and maybe YM suing GM is more negative press they certainly do not need right now.

Baver

Damn, I wish I was a lawyer. 🙂

davidgmills

No you don’t.

paddan
4 years 1 month ago

So true davidmills, from a fellow attorney.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

Depends what type of attorney guys—-there are still people practicing law who HELP!

paddan

I’d like to think so.

davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

Me too. It just gets more impossible every day.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

All joking about lawyers aside—-many of them help laypeople like me navigate an increasingly more difficult system. True—-it’s often lawyers (in the form of politicians) MAKING those things more difficult. But you find good lawyers and they help you get through it.

Coke is it

Go Youngman!

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago
It’s clear that the actions of General Morons directly led to the demise of Spyker’s Saab and lost millions of dollars for Youngman. The question becomes, were any of these actions illegal? I said back in December or January that the actions by GM were unethical—-bordering on illegal. My sense was that they had done something very wrong and that if I were able to dig deep enough, I’d be able to find a law broken by GM or a contract issue they were on the wrong side of. That is what they do. The question becomes—-did they actually do… Read more »
Baver

Keith
4 years 1 month ago

Angelo – you should sue GM too. A clear cut case, with exactly the same kind of future it wuda happened logic Victor is using.

ANGELO SUES GM FOR ALIENATION OF AFFECTIONS
Thanks right, file suit on GM for tampering with you love life. If Youngman had done the deal, you and Rachel were a lock. A sure thing. Those mean Detroit suits took it all away. Demand restitution!

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

I wonder if I can actually go to small claims court for lost resale value on my Saab—-and perhaps in the suit, I can also claim emotional distress over losing the chance to court Ms. Pang.

Baver
4 years 1 month ago

Why the hell not? I’m sure tempted to try it, sans the courting of Ms. Pang.

davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

You haven’t lost your chance. She’s still around. Window of opportunity may be closing. Time to mitigate your damages and go to China for yourself.

Keith
4 years 1 month ago

Angelo, this isn’t small claims court stuff. This is huge. It combines your future love, companionship, emotional support, bliss, sugar mamma, company Saabs and Lotus for life – all in one. Rachel was robbed from you, by tyrannical titans from the rust belt.

100 million. Minimum.

Olav
4 years 1 month ago

Go YM, and go VM! Let GM finally feel the real heat.

Aerobic
4 years 1 month ago

There is a saying that what’s good for General Motors is good for America.

Does anyone really think that an American court is going to let GM lose this? The playing field is not level.

Gatelaw
4 years 1 month ago

Well, there is no reason the court should deny a jury trial, and the jurors are instructed to only look at the facts of the case. They are not allowed to let patriotic ideals color their decision. But then again, how do you control that the jurors stay within the confines of their powers? Anyway, it will be up to the selected American average joes to decide if the law suit has merit. And we all know that Victor Muller knows how to talk, and perhaps he will be allowed to make his voice heard in court.

JerseySaab
4 years 1 month ago

Actually, juries in the U.S. can do whatever they please, the instructions given by the court to the contrary can be, and have been, freely ignored.

The power is more typically used in criminal trials when a law is perceived to be bad but may also be brought to bear in civil trials. Look up “Jury Nullification” in your favorite search engine.

davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

I think it will be a victory for GM to get a jury trial. Cases decided by Motions to Dismiss or Motions for Summary Judgment are the rule, not the exception in Federal Court. Jury trials are becoming almost as threatened a species as tigers.

davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

Seventh Amendment be damned.

Quijote
4 years 1 month ago
Actually, I think the playing field is probably more level here than in either Sweden or Netherlands. We know public, especially government, sentiment towards Saab is pretty low in Sweden. I’m not sure how it is in Netherlands, but probably not much better? Fact is, there is a HUGE amount of apathy and downright hatred towards GM in the United States right now. Ask any Republican, and they’ll tell you GM deserved no bailout and deserved to die. While I’m more of the Democratic flavor, I somewhat agree with the generally Republican conclusion that GM sucks. If Spyker’s lawsuit ever… Read more »
davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

In Federal Court, if they do get a jury trial ( a big if) at least you do not need a unanimous verdict. Usually 10 – 2. I don’t think GM can get 12 out of 12 jurors on their side, but they don’t have to. GM would only need three. If you pick any 12 Americans off the street, I think it is pretty likely that you can still find three GM fans.

Aero1
4 years 1 month ago

Actually President Bush started the bailout of Grievous Morons, Obama just decided to give them not only government money, bit also all of us taxpayers money. My local SAAB dealer has mentioned that not only are some US dealers debating a Class against GM, but said some SAAB owners will be starting a suit for lost values and warranties. GM will get what they deserve!

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

Aero: Correct. Bush’s instincts against the free markets and in favor of bailouts were as bad as President Obamas. But don’t forget—-under President Obama’s leadership, chunks of the bailed out auto companies were turned over to the UAW—-he actually made the UAW part owners. That really is amazing and unpresedented intrusion by the government into private business.

Peter Gilbert
4 years 1 month ago

A few times I have explained what a bunch runs GM and how they stick it to people whether the deliberate closing of dealerships like we witnessed in Wisconsin to this just breaking news how the Secretary of the Treasury fixed the pensions of non-union workers. Welcome to the Chicago way not Trollhättan.
I would like Victor and Youngman to teach GM a lesson.

Gatelaw
4 years 1 month ago
Very interesting development from Spyker and, possibly, Youngman! Of course GM is trying their best to reduce the importance of the law suit, and others that may follow in its footstep, because there are only two ways to go about it – either confess or deny. To confess would mean to part with a substantial sum of cash, but in the grand scheme of things even a full US$3 billion + payout is less of a loss than a future competition from Saab on the Chinese market would have meant. So even if GM lost this law suit, the company… Read more »
Explorer9
4 years 1 month ago
Lots of former GM-car drivers have turned their backs at GM products to buy Fords, Jeeps or Chryslers, and rightly so. Although in the past GM produced some very interesting vehicles (3 of those are still parked on the Moon btw..) their products became increasingly low-quality and unfortunately also infested a number of Saab models, when superior quality materials, like those used in the venerable 9000, were replaced by more and more crappy generic GM stuff in later Saab models. Amazing how, for example, the quality of the 9-5 decreased more and more, especially from the ‘dame Edna’ onwards, and… Read more »
3cyl
4 years 1 month ago

The stiffish leather on the seats of my Dame Edna are a far cry from the supple leather that was in my 9000’s. Nonetheless, as I have noted before, my Dame Edna (2007) has had absolutely no repairs so far and a an associate’s 2006 also has had no repairs. I have owned al lot of SAABs starting with a two stroke in the the late sixties. Yes, the leather is vinyl-like, but these late model OG 9-5’s have been as reliable (actually more reliable) than any of the many pre-GM SAABs that I have owned.

Seán
4 years 1 month ago

This is all well and good, but does anyone know what happened to the lawsuit from Magna International regarding the failed Opel/Vauxhall takeover? Did it even go ahead?

I hope the Spyker lawsuit goes all the way and there is a positive result. I also hope that Youngman launches their own lawsuit against GM. GM needs this slap in the face, actually all of the corporate world needs a slap in the face.

hans h
4 years 1 month ago

GM. Down in flames. Thats enough for me.

I hope Ford and Chrysler can scope up any employers on the “floor level”. The top GM management have a special place in hell, I would think, where they can keep trying to understand difficult things like “brands” and “products”.

kochje
4 years 1 month ago

The more pressure ons GM the better os the top management will not recieven tier bonuses but need t.o. pay those they treated os badly and unprofessionally.

kochje
4 years 1 month ago

spelling is awful; here we go again.
The more pressure on GM the better. Top management should not receive their bonuses but need to bleed for those they treated so badly and unprofessionaly.

scand
4 years 1 month ago
Hyperbole much. Come on! Shall we all get real for just a sec! GM is not going to be bought to its knees by victor muller. Yesterday in the US they sold around 7000 cars, today they will sell around 7000 cars, and tomorrow, same thing. Victor mullers track record of meeting a business plans goals, let alone making an operating profit in the car business is about zero. Therefore it’s not going to be hard to shoot down the $3billion argument. GM has an army of in house lawyers, and they can quite easily outspend him, and his investor.… Read more »
scand
4 years 1 month ago

Ignore “the young man has…” ! And speaker equals Skyker.

Damn iPad!

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

GM’s army of lawyers? I hope they’re better than they were in the 1980s, when my friend’s Dad took them to court over the failed diesel engine in his Oldsmobile 88. He successfully sued them, winning easily (representing himself by the way) against some young, wet behind the ears lawyer they sent from Detroit to Pennsylvania, where the car was bought and where my friends lived. My friend’s dad brought in a stack of articles about how these engines were failing too quickly and how GM wasn’t covering them.

davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

I had one of those. It was toast at 60,000 miles in an Olds 98 and I babied the thing.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago
I think my friend’s Dad’s car had even less than 60K when it went kaput. Funny thing is—-we were college students in Harrisburg, PA. My friend’s Mom drove that car from Philadelphia to our college—–to take my friend to a job interview in Washington, DC. She made it to our campus. When they tried to start the car to continue on to DC, it threw a rod or something—-totally toasted. They had to rent a car to drive him to the interview. He actually had a car on campus, but it was a ’66 Volkswagen fastback and he didn’t trust… Read more »
kochje
4 years 1 month ago

with 7000 carrs sold/ day this overly overloaded company will starve to death.

Bréanainn
4 years 1 month ago

I hope gm lose it will give something back to SAAB call me a old school SAAB nut but I never really considered SAAB a SAAB when it was on a gm platform even if SAAB made them better.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago
Actually, I disagree. I did consider GM Saabs to be “real” Saabs. It was remarkable that Saab kept some identity on a GM platform. I will say, the Saabaru 9-2 was too much like a Subaru—-it was a clone but it was a decent, reliable car. The 9-7 was too close to its GM stablemates for comfort. But I think the 9-3 and 9-5 models certainly kept their Saab identity inside and out and they were/are very decent cars—better than other GM products by a mile. I think a case can be made that the 1980s era 900 was the… Read more »
davidgmills
4 years 1 month ago

The European leagues are quite expensive by world standards. Even VW is pretty damn expensive now. I remember the days when a Porsche was still in the realm of reason.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

Actually, comparitively speaking, GM models for sale in the U.S. have become more affordable. That includes Jetta and Passat.

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago

Obviously meant to say VW, not GM. Geez, GM is on my mind—-must be the crushing blow of GM denying me of Rachel Pang’s companionship.

spacy
4 years 1 month ago

Sending you a Shoulder + Hanky…..

Sam
4 years 1 month ago

I would guess GM management is laughing their a** off right now about this. You really think think lawsuit is going to have any effect on them?

kochje
4 years 1 month ago

Let’s just wait ans see….

Angelo V.
4 years 1 month ago
Keep calm and carry on Sam. I think you’re right—-the fools at GM probably ARE laughing their a** off about this. They’ve been late to the party or wrong so many times, I’m sure they’re not taking this seriously either. We’ll see if they have to sign some checks for Youngman or Muller—-and yes, they’ll still be smiling even then, knowing that it’s not really their money, but it’s U.S. Treasury cash they continue to burn through. Hopefully it’ll give Rachel Pang some extra “going around town money” and she can buy me a nice sweater at Nieman Marcus when… Read more »
North Toronto Punter

Lyrics from Billy Talent’s ‘Viking Death March’ apropos:

“Down on your knees you just don’t look so tall
Open your eyes and the Empire falls!”

To the Ren Cen! [Catchy tune by the way]

Maxwell
4 years 1 month ago

Two lawsuits against GM and a boycott against GM in the UK would be freakin’ epic.