ANA delivers its last brand new Saab 9-5 II

FH-9891One week ago, tomorrow, the last brand new (no other owner) Saab 9-5 Sedan was delivered from ANA Trollhättan to a man who never owned any other brand. 55 years ago he bought his first Saab and has since then a new one, almost every year.

Let me introduce you to Göran Danielsson. Now, owner of total 42 Saabs thru his 55 years of only Saabs. He lives just outside Gothenburg with his wife and he used to work as a auto-journalist.

Back in the days you had to own your own car, if it was needed for work and thru all these years he never ever thought of buying any another brand than Saab.

This is the second Saab 9-5 he has bought. And he hopes it’s not the last one either. All depends on how NEVS will build up. Göran comments with a smile and hopes that the cars produced by NEVS will be more sporty, as they were back in the days when Erik Carlsson “On the roof” was active in rallying. Otherwise he might have to buy a BMW…

The 9-5 he bought this time was built in the Saab Factory, and not at ANA as a few of the very last Saabs were. Göran and his wife drives home with a 9-5 Vector 166hp diesel and equipped with almost everything you can get in a Saab. Only thing missing is the moon-roof.

FH-9966

ANA Trollhättan CEO, Joachim Lind stresses the question: Has anyone else ever owned 42 Saabs thru 55 years? Can anyone beat that?

Well, I doubt  it… =)

JasonPowell

I doubt it too, that’s an incredible amount of Saabs to have owned. This guy is a Saab super customer, one that any dealer would love to have.

Angelo V.

A very fitting/appropriate home for this final new Saab! And this guy is inspirational. How can NEVS NOT get production going in a hurry, to make sure they have a car ready when this man is in the market again!!!!

ingvar

Well, I have only own 12 Saab cars since 1973.My present one is a Saab 9-3 SC Biopower 2011.
I also hope that new Saabs will arrive and not only electric ones!
Ingvar

Baver

Nice story. I can’t tell if he has HUD or not. If he does, he better be praying that his windshield stays in one piece. Still no word on when they MAY become available. I got a big chip in my driver’s side this past weekend and so far, not one HUD/Rain Sensor/Lane Departure Warning windshield to be had. Word from Saint-Gobain is that they offered Saab Parts windshields, but Saab Parts NEVER responded.

phermansson

We dont know of that is just rumors of if its true, Rune is checking on that… there are two sides to every story!

923m
One of the interior shots clearly shows that the car is equipped with HUD. Whatever the truth is about St Gobain and their offer/non-offer to Saab Parts in sourcing windshields, it appears that there are no new NG 9-5 replacement windshields of any variety, at least in the USA. We’ve been told it’ll be only a matter of months before they’re back in the parts pipeline. That was close to a year ago. I’m really not interested about different “sides of the story”. I’m only interested in knowing that there will be an adequate supply of new windshields.
Angelo V.
I sense your frustration 923 and I feel for you. The fact that there were so many different windshield configurations for the same model in Muller’s Saab—-is mind boggling, when you consider that they were apparently so underfunded. And now, no replacement windshields of any type to be had? The more I hear, the more I question exactly what was going on at Saab for those couple years. Sounds like a disorganized fire drill. And my observations of NEVS—-going on a year now since we first heard of them and in the same breath, heard that they were being gifted… Read more »
Baver

Update, upon further review, Saab parts did respond….this from a trusted Saab friend….Spoke to Sales manager Mats Elmenius today at Sekurit/Saint Gobain in Eslov Sweden.
They offered Saab Parts HUD screens for well over a year ago. Lennart Stahl at Saab Parts turned the offer down. Mats is more than happy to send that offer again.
The tools for making the screen is owned by the Saab bancruptcy estate. All parts are at the Saint Gobain plant in Poland.

rune

Tim’s contact at Saab Parts is working on getting to the bottom of this. More to follow soon.

Baver

Thanks all for your work!

kochje

Do drive , together with my wife who also drives Saab, now our 19th Saab.
While this is a 9-5 NG I have to drive that car until it falls appart.
Has now already more than 100.000 KM and as Baver said; hope the windshield does not have to be replaced while the HUD is fantastic.
Hope that Göran Danielsson never has to think about purchasing a BMW and that NEVS did note what he wishes to purchase when this new 9-5 comes to the time it has to be replaced. A SPORTY NEW SAAB.

saabyurk

I wish I could claim even a quarter of that number of Saabs, however, about the only things I can claim that might match Daniel are my age and haircut, and an understanding wife. I hope Daniel and wife enjoy that Saab for many years to come.

kochje

Like this comment; nice 🙂

Mark

I’ve owned five Saabs in 25 years and unfortunately none were new. I have to agree with Göran that future Saabs need to be more sporty. The total GM ownership era started with the very conventional 9-3SS (the first Saab that ever made me yawn when I visited the showroom), and ended with the somewhat stodgy NG9-5 and 9-4x. Both of which I found ‘too GM’ for my taste and also more conventional than they should have been. Let’s hope future Saabs can be more sporty, more athletic and a bit more unconventional again..

XC9000

I agree; the GM-era Saabs to me always felt a step back from the superb 9000.

NG9-5. Stodgy? I’d say its the ‘Saabiest’ Saab since the NG900. Lets agree to disagree. I LOVED my 2.0T 9-3SS and miss it so much.

Toby K

Nice little competition! My list, I have had a 95, 99, 90, 900S, 9000, 9000CSE, 900 Aero, 9-3 Convertible, 9-3 Aero turbo, 900 Carlsson, another 900 Carlsson and a 9-5 Vector.

One day I will get my hands on a Viggen hopefully soon and a new 9-5. but for now only 12 cars in my 38 years (I still have 4 of them 🙂

XC9000

A BMW as an alternative..?? They might technically be great cars, but they have RED dash lighting ! 🙁
I’d prefer the new Volvos as an alternative; Swedish cars equiped with lots of clever innovations, partly thanks to a bunch of former Saab engineers who now work for Volvo…

Baver

The Volvos are pretty nice. The BMWs I’ve seen have orange displays – Audi has the red.

Harriet

while they are at it – I hit something in the road and lost the small plastic piece that attaches to the bottom of the front bumper (I have no idea what it is called), and actually, just 1/2 of it, the other 1/2 is fine – can’t get that part! It has been months, sure it doesn’t affect the driveability of my 9.5 – but I would like it to look whole.