Do you know everything about SAAB cars? (Update)

The guys at saabblog.net have a question for real SAAB fans.

What are you looking at?

Yes, it is an engine, but what engine?

The engine is the VM Motori V6 Diesel, internally known as A29DT, in the engine bay of a 9-5 II.

According to Saabblog.net this car is now for sale in the Netherlands. For the ones that think about buying this car. You maybe could fined some spares for this engine at a Chrysler garage, but I can’t say if the version used by Chrysler is identical to the one that GM was willing to use, but paired with this engine is also a automatic transmission that Aisin developed specially for that Engine, and that GM never used for any other engine. The Transmission was able to cope with the 550Nm of the engine. For instance the strongest automatic gearbox used by Saab on the 9-5 NG, the AF40, was only able to cope with 450 Nm of torque.

An insider has told us that a first 9-4x prototype did exist with that engine.

kanundrum

Components in the Engine Bay give a hint at the 2.8 how ever the Intake Manifold is in a different position btu everything else matches up. I am guessing a Engine for the 9-5 Combi 2.8

phermansson

I asked Peter Bäckström, he said HFV6, which is the 2,8 liter found in the 9-3 Aero

This could be an early version or prototype?

kanundrum

Maybe something in works for a new platform (phoenix) before the closure. If anyone would know I would guess Peter!

Dmain

Doesn’t look like my 2.8 9-Aero.

Brett

VM Motori V6 diesel.

Trued

The WIS on NG 9-5 mentions the badge for a V6 TTiD i bet this is that engine. It is the engine bay of the NG 9-5.

andys

it’s 9-5 NG

3cyl

At first glance it appears that someone mislaid one of those elongated toilet seats.

Angelo V.

No, I don’t know everything about Saab cars (can’t identify that engine if my life depended on it) but it doesn’t matter. I don’t know everything about things I enjoy, but I still enjoy them!

Angelo V.

Considering the heat of the engine compartment, I wonder how that Saab badge holds up? Any peeling on those?

Timeshifter

I guess, there is airfilter underneath, so there are not so high temperatures there…

Patrik H

Haha, you made me chuckle out loud. Oh, Saab and those peeling badges….

I gave up and got vinyl decals. They do the job well, no problems yet; fingers crossed.

Angelo V.

Where did you get the vinyl decals? Are the the exact size to cover the full circle of the badge?

Mark

It’s more of a UV problem than heat that screws up the badges.

Angelo V.

so if I smear some sunscreen on mine, and block the UV, they might last?!! The one on the front (a replacement under warranty after the first one turned silver) is intact. The one on the back, has started to peel away.

Pete Rhyne

Looks like the V6 from the 93X aero.

LarsG

Only what I can read a V6 Turbo. A 2,5 or 2,8.

StefanH STHLM

Perhaps we should ask a BMW person. Can it be an engine in the adaptation process?

saabni

Not a 2.8 oil filler cap is in middle of rocker cover, mini 1.6 turbocharged maybe???

Aerobic

AeroX Concept from 2006?

phermansson

Nope, that was a biopower engine.. and not a V6…

Michał

maybe it is a 2.9 TiD superdiesel from 9-5 NG (Alpha)

DUTCH900C

The enginebay is typical for the SAAB 9-4X. See the brakefluid-tank and the aluminium plates arround it, But that engine what Michal named could indeed be the engine.
I would say: The 2.9TiD engine, mounted in a SAAB 9-4X.

tcastaldi

I think it says V8, I’m assuming it’s a 9-7x with the Corvette engine?

roger

Is it really a turbocharged engine in Corvette(and 9-7x)?

hughw

If you zoom in, you can see it says V8TURBO.

Onslow

Some years ago there was an OG 9-5 Combi at GM’s Milford Proving Ground with GM’s new “Global V8” installed. It was a pretty polished package with full Saab badges. The Global V8 program was eventually cancelled prior to the GM bankruptcy. Not saying that this is that vehicle – just saying that there were V8 studies being done at that time.

saabyurk

I’ll jump on board with a guess: The BMW 1.6 Turbo. When I zoom in it looks like a “1.6” but the 6 might be an 8. But, on further review, might say “V6”, maybe a turbo diesel being tested for the 9-5? Heck, I don’t know.

dcpattie

V6 + flux capacitor? Or Twin turbo V6.

saabni

I get bored of guess the engine games also get bored easily of I spy games! If it’s a new engine to be used just tell us !

roger

It can’t be a new engine for a NEVS car. It has an old Saab badge on it.
I think it’s a VM Motori V6 Diesel. Probably fitted in the latest 9-5.

Similar:

JH

I think it might be the Saab 9-4X Turbo6 with the Australian 2.8T V6 engine made by Holden.

Johnny Johansson
I should know, I worked with this engine cover 3-4 years ago. But I made a lot of covers under the hood during my last years at Saab, engine covers, battery covers, fuse box covers, and so on. But I worked with the styling, not the parts under the covers. The badge says V6TURBO, the engine compartment tells me it is the NG 9-5, so I will say, a NG 9-5 V6 engine, not sure if it is diesel or petrol. There is no battery cover. The 9-3 has no battery cover in the diesel cars, because the battery is… Read more »
Silas

How long do we have to wait before you tell us?

Chek Enjin Soon

GM twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 (LF3)

Trued

Spit it out now…let us know.

SaabKen

9-5 Mk.II 2.8T

Marko Bezjak

This is 2.9 liter V6 diesel engine in Saab 9-5 II,producer VM motori,engine code : A29DT

It is not serial motor in 95.One 9-5 with that engine is for salle in Holland.

I read this here:http://saabblog.net/2013/09/26/bilderraetsel-saab-motor/

Andreas

Im so sad. Im sure if the 9-5 (normal and SC) and the 9-4x with this engine would have saved the company. 🙁

Yes, I would have bought the 9-5SC with this engine for sure.

Angelo V.

They would not have saved the company. They would have prolonged the agony because they were competing at the high end and that’s been tried and it has failed. The only way they might have saved the company—is if they kept Saab afloat long enough for Muller to come to grips with the fact that a volume car was needed at the low end—-to rebuild the brand from the ground up, as it was built in the first place.

Joe

Muller would only come to grips with his own wallet.

rune
@Joe, unfair statement much? Without Victor, the factory would have been completely empty early 2010. GM had effectively shut everything down (supply chain told to take a hike). A big part of Victor’s troubles stem from the slow ramp-up caused by the liquidation process set in motion by GM. Without swegov/EIB’s strange involvement, Muller would have secured additional funding from Antonov (still not brought to trial, still not convicted and his investment would still have been in play at this point). It is my understanding that given the steadily increasing sales numbers, SWAN would have been cash flow positive by… Read more »
Angelo V.
Rune: I’m too far away from the situation to know what really happened with regard to government involvement in this. I’ve heard and read plenty of times about how the Swedish government wanted Saab dead and for the life of me, I just don’t understand why. But knowing government bureaucrats the way I do (living in the Washington, DC area), I don’t need to understand it to believe it. They work in mysterious ways. No, make that, they work in really stupid, erratic and unpredictable ways. Here, they play favorites like betting on horses to keep some institutions alive with… Read more »
phermansson

That comment really shows that you dont know Victor

Joe

Respectfully, Tim, that’s fully understandable from your perspective.
In any event let’s look forward and…”SAAB-ON!”

Trued

Score! I know my Saabs!

Fredrik

This car was, according to my documentation, sold in the KVD Saab enthusiast cars auction 2013-04-03.

Obj no.: 554363
Model: 9-5 Vector (TiD6) Alpha 245hp
Year: 2010
Chassie no.: YS3GP4AL0A4000013
Reg no.: Deregistered
Milage km: 81760
Market/spec: No COC
Location: Tjörn, Wallhamn

Description: The SAAB Superdiesel, 2,9 litre, 245hp, 550Nm, only one built. Test car at SAAB Powertrain. Aut, GPS, HUD Leather.

saabyurk
OT: It never ceases to amaze me how good Saab engineers are, or were and hopefully will be. Aftonbladet reports that the Qoros sedan got the highest scores of any car tested in 2013 in the Euro Ncap. Do you think it’s because the former Saab engnineers responsible for safety were allowed to do their job unfettered by heavy-handed GM bean counters saying “No!”? From Aftonbladet on 2013/09/26 (Google translation): “Based on the mindset of Saab” … Crashworthiness is based on thinking from Saab so it does not exist in our world that we get more than full marks, said… Read more »
Angelo V.

The KIA Carens also scored high in those safety tests. This is the type of vehicle NEVS needs to consider as a lower priced Saab. You can be safe, and innovative, and value priced and desirable.

Derek van der Gaag

Does anyone know where the 9-5 with TiD6 Alpha-engine is for sale in the Netherlands?

Fredrik

Venezia bought alot of the auction cars. But I can’t find this one there.