Tomorrow the internet sale of Saab cars begins

Tomorrow, December 10th at 2pm NEVS will start selling the 9-3 Aero Sedan in Sweden over the internet. Last monday they already released some details about that, but today on a press-release they have disclosed further details.

The cars will be a fully equipped 9-3 Aero, tomorrow we will know what fully equipped means, and will sell for 279 000 SEK with a manual transmission, and you will have to add 10 000 SEK if you want an automatic transmission. We already knew this, but today they’ve also disclosed, that the price will include a 3 years guarantee, 3 years of service and 2 years of road assist.

Although the contract between Orio and NEVS is currently only a “Letter of Intent”, the NEVS Saabs will be serviced by the current Saab genuine service workshops.

The first cars will be delivered in spring 2014, and NEVS is already announcing this cars as a “limited edition”.

The cars will be delivered at the factory, and the buyers will get to talk with NEVS officials and will also get a factory tour.

For my private taste this is a very nice package for a car that despite its age, still looks modern, and with an engine that in 2008 was really good, from the comparisons I made by then.

I don’t expect to see the 9-3 in the top places of the Swedish sales statistics, but I’ll will follow the sales numbers as I did in the past.

xelav

Only in sweden…. But how do you trade in your old car?

phermansson

You can’t… yet…

Doctor Donk

Just sell it to other guy with great discount

theSandySaab

“I don’t expect to see the 9-3 in the top places of the Swedish sales statistics…”

It will be an extremely exclusive car with sale numbers near RR, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Koenigsegg (!) etc…
Best of luck to NEVS in selling this exclusive car, online at that!

Bilsweden.se has a lot of figues for sweden…

saabfanatic

Any info on the engin? Any connectionS to BMW or Fiat engins by any chance? Hope is not GM left overs!
How about the interior, havn’t seen any pix from the instrumentation panel? Does it look like the old 93 design made with the same componenets/material/ light colours?

phermansson

GM A20NFT 220hp engine, instrumentation etc are exactly like the 9-3 Griffin 2012

saabfanatic

Oh no,they purchased the engines from GM? I thought it was supposed to be GM free after all, I don’t get it!!!
I know it was pre bankruptcy period, but wasn’t there some BMW engines sitting in the factory at some point of time and getting tested. What happened to those?
I still love the body design of the 9-3 but even if it was available in my market, I’m not sure if I pay this much for Vauxhall engine under the hood – Sorry to say this NEVS!

maanders

I think it was stated earlier those engines went back to BMW during the bankruptcy process since Saab had not finished paying for them.

Also, of all the GM parts in prior Saabs, the engine was not the issue as the Saab engineers had tuned it and made modifications to it. It is/was a good engine.

Ward Schoonbrood

Sounds good. GM engine with 220 hp and turbo. And I am also really happy about the green interior instrument lights. I think it really fits with Saab and hope that NEVS will continue in the design direction for which we all value Saab.

saabfanatic
Yes, I loved the green instrumentation lighting that I had on my old Saabs too, but how about that same old stereo. I had to rub my eyes when I saw that stereo on the new NEVS 9-3. I’m sorry if I sound like a party pooper here, but come on people – GM used that same stereo which BTW sounded terrible on their cheep Saturns with slightly different nobs about 10 years ago. I’m not sure what NEVS is thinking, they should’ve at least equip the car with some infotainment system that lines up with today’s standards not the… Read more »
StefanH STHLM

Hi Red
I had an email correspondence with Mattias Rabe at Teknikens Värld today and he had been in contact with NEVS regarding the absence of facts about the New Car Warranty.
He later forwarded the answer from NEVS.
In Sweden the 9-3 comes with :
2 years of New Car Warranty. Not mentioned in today´s press release.
3 years Collision Damage Waiver/Insurance.

Nicolas

It’s a real pitty we can’t buy the car in Belgium!!! Can’t we try to purchase one via a Swedish dealer? When can we buy the car in Belgium?

phermansson

There are no swedish dealers… You can buy it but you have to export it yourself with Swedish Export plates and then import the car to Belgium…

99turboman

Gradually some more good news! 🙂
Keep it coming Nevs and good luck!

saabni

Sounds great! You can buy one from Internet pictures without driving it , can’t trade your old car against it and can bring it to all the old saab dealers to get it serviced! Oops that’s right , they have all closed – all this for 279 000 sek sounds lick a bargain – I’ll take ten of them

saabyurk
I think this is a great bargain for an Aero version, if equipped as I expect an Aero to be. The complaints about price drive me nuts! On another blog, someone complained that you could buy a 3-series BMW starting at 268,000. Wow, a 135 hp engine, cloth seats, zero options. Just wow, comparing that to an Aero version Saab, 220 hp, all leather, auto climate control, etc. If this was available in the USA (minus the 25% VAT of course) I think I would buy it as an investment. This is a great accomplishment. I wish the complainers and… Read more »
Saabseller

Exactly, STHU! If you’re not keen on a Saab, why are you even looking at this forum? I would have thought you would all be happy a car was even being produced as it is the first step to more progress.

I for one hope the car is a success and I can some day be a Saabseller again.

Quit your belly aching and be happy for NEVS.

KJ

andys

I’m sorry, but s60 t5 automatic, in the base – 297000. Why do you choose Saab?

rune

The 9-3 is 10000 SEK cheaper, and I suspect has more options. Plus it looks much nicer and comes with 3 years worth of free service.

Busy

may be because your a SAAB enthusiast…..

Angelo V.
Busy: I understand everyone’s euphoria because NEVS has the factory up and running. And I’m happy for them and for the community—hope is a great thing and NEVS has delivered some hope. But this notion that “everything will work out fine because Saab enthusiasts will buy anything for any amount” is hogwash. Please don’t advise people to part with their hard earned money simply because a Saab nameplate is on the car. NEVS has a responsibility (in my opinion) to deliver the right cars at the right prices to keep Saab in business longer than a couple more years. There… Read more »
Busy
My short reaction referred to just to the fact that I do not expect of a SAAB enthusiast on this blog to buy a VOLVO for a little bit more money. If you want to buy one fine with me. You are absolutely right as far for the fast majority of people who want to buy a car may be future SAAB’s. Since the production amount of this ”perceived old” 9-3 is very small, you will have to be an enthusiast of SAAB. (=be able to be one of the first to buy a SAAB again) Nobody else knows you… Read more »
3cyl

One we reason we choose SAAB is that it is not Volvo.

Angelo V.

The longest journey will start with one step. So this might not be the big restart some of us hoped for—-full production, full sales. But at least it’s something. Hopefully NEVS can build on this.

Richard

Anyone know if they have a sunroof? I can’t tell from any of the photo’s I have seen.

PPSwiss

Compared to the 2012 figures the sales will go through the roof…..

maybe it is actually better to go one step a time and not try to push 3 different cars with 6 different bodies, and numerous variations and not have the financial backing to pull it off…

I really didn’t think this was going to happen, so I’m happy – keep calm and carry on – as Swade would have said…;-))

Angelo V.

That’s sort of where I am Swiss. This is better than nothing, which is what we were facing in December of 2011. I think things could have been/could be done better, but it’s a start and maybe they can ramp up from here.

900 classic cab

3 years guarantee, 3 years of service and 2 years of road assist for a well equipped car seems to be a great deal. It also shows real commitment to the buyers, in my opinion.

Ward Schoonbrood

Agree!

hughw

Is anyone underwriting the guarantee and service? As I recall, all Saabs sold by SWAN came with guarantees, albeit not service, and that proved pretty worthless when SWAN was no longer around to honor them.

E

SWAN SAABs came with service too … 3 years scheduled service. Of course, that went as the new car warranties went …

svensson

It will be interesting to see how many people in Sweden will put their money where their mouth is. Back in 2010-2011 many prospective car buyers said they would buy a new Saab but… if only this and that, etc.

Nevs says there is a demand for Saab 9-3, let’s see if they are right. I have my doubts.

saabboy1

I know $42000.00 is a tough pill to swallow for the 9-3. I bought a 2011 9-3 for $27,000 in 2011 and it was an aero manual transmission. If it were the 9-5 no question about it but I’m afraid NEVS is going to have to come to the table a little on this one.

Angelo V.

My idea was a decontended version to be sold as a price leader—-many, many more people could have afforded this car if it was a base model and many others would be more willing to risk buying if it were cheaper. I wouldn’t have started with a loaded car as the only one—-a loaded 9-3 no less…priced that high. But maybe they know what they’re doing.

DonL

Angelo, that is what I was hoping for too! A base Saab, 20-23k. However, I believe that it may come next year once they have perfected the production and gov’t regulations in different markets. They are not ready yet for full scale production, so this is a good alternative(better than waiting another 6 months for any type of production), until everything else is in place. It appears that next year they may produce 2 cars, the current 93 as their intro model(cheap), and the new 93N.

rune

Not sure how interesting it will be. “The production rate will be very modest, about ten cars a week initially, and then gradually the pace will be increased to meet customers’ demand.” (last week’s press-release)

The production start is a vital and big step in the right direction, but production-wise there are plenty of steps left until they can deliver the kind of numbers that will make a dent in even the Swedish market. Don’t get your hopes set way high for 2014. This process takes time!

Angelo V.
Rune: I have a question for you (and Tim, and others) who know about how the factory works. It strikes me that even though these early cars are overpriced (in my opinion), there is something valuable in getting a car that was one of only 10 built in a week. In other words—-you can’t touch a hand built car for this cheap—-and if they are only making 10 cars a week for a while, isn’t that the closest thing most people will ever be able to afford in the way of “hand built?” As recently as the late 1960s/early 1970s,… Read more »
rune

I cannot really provide you with an authoritative answer on your query yet, but I strongly doubt there’s more handcrafted production taking place now.

BTW: Keep in mind that the price includes 25% VAT (+ various extras!). The 9-3 is a big and roomy sedan compared to many, and you’ll be hard pressed to find a cheaper and better equipped car here in Sweden. (Yes, resale value is a big unknown, but we only live once, right?)

The missing infotainment-system is an issue IMO, but hopefully other aspects of the car will ensure potential customers remain interested.

Martin
I’m happy they’re back and as a non Saab owner it would be nice to have one. However, as a big fan the new, Chinese owners seem to be taking some magic away from Saab and with the loss of the 9-5, 94x and even just the old badge I think the company will struggle especially with a model which, although is still very good, is in need of an update after over ten years. In addition, it’s likely that a Chinese company will cut costs which will take even more away from the company, this mostly being its unique… Read more »
aslak

I hope that some of you at SU can get out som sales/reservation figures from Nevs about how the first sales day in Sweden work out!

Trued
NEVS has so far not opened their WEB store. The cars will be sold only on the WEB. With that in mind comparing with regular dealer sales, the indicated price seam remarkably high. It should be like IKEA, you pick up the goods and put it together yourself, but You and IKEA to some extent share the savings. Here it is clear who is making a profit, and it is not You. This talks for a lower price; – R&D cost for NEVS on a car that has evoled over 10 years should be low – No advertising cost –… Read more »
roger

You’re missing the point here. Low cost demands huge volumes. In this case it’s very small volumes and a bunch of totally new suppliers with new production tools, new personell and new routines for production and delivery.
Obviously it can’t have a “low” price at this stage.

Angelo V.
Roger: If they can sell them for what they’re asking—make a little profit and get things started, the plan is fine. Later, as they ramp up production and do produce in higher volume, I’d be hopeful that their prices will come back to Earth. This is what concerns me: There is some pent up demand for a new Saab and there are people with money to blow—-who will just spend the sky high price to say they own one of the first NEVS. That is a small fraction of the buying public, but it might just be enough to speak… Read more »
David Hay

The big day has arrived and as of now 11:57 am(UK time)no mention of being able to buy a car online at the SAAB website.

I really think these guys should get their act together — to me they seem half asleep. It does not instil confidence.

Wake up!

hughw
Google translate does a very good job of translating swedish, so I’ll definitely take a look. But I’m genuinely interested in how many cars they’ll sell in the first few days. If a tree falls in a forest, who hears it? And other than readers of SU and perhaps a few other blogs here or there, who will know that NEVS is open for business and selling Saabs? Has there been any local advertising in Sweden? Has there been any relatively widespread Media coverage so that the average Swedish resident even knows that Saabs are available? No doubt there are… Read more »
Busy
Nice to be abe to buy a SAAB again. This how Mini does this in The Netherlands. An online “auction” where you can buy a new Mini and you can ask a dealer for a proposal for your old car. (www.mini-auctions.nl) NEVS could cooperate with ANA for instance were people can get an offer for there old car. The Mini experience: advertorials in magazines, a special site, on YouTube (search: Mini Nederland auctions) It’s in Dutch obviously but this gives you an idea. NEVS could do this in order to create also an online SAAB experience, in addition to the… Read more »
SAABNUT
Great to see some action from NEVS. Obviously the restart in producing SAAB 9 3 2,0 is not where the potential and future success for NEVS lies. Its more of a organization – production vetting process, preparing the company for the upgraded SAAB 9 3.0 due next year and in turn leading to the all new Phoenix based car due even later. And in the future the resurected Phoenix derivate implementing the electric drivetrain and battery technology will be brought to the market. Small babysteps taken towards a more comprehensive and larger roll out of a more modern car and… Read more »
Fredrik
Fredrik

Here it is: ( The Swedish Saab/Nevs-site9

Troels, Denmark

It is now 2.36 – an nothing seems to have happened!… ???

Troels, Denmark

I am sorry! I now saw that I just had to choose Swedish language on the NEVS-site…

Troels, Denmark

This seems to be an fantastic buy!! 3 years service and a set of winter-wheels included in the price!! And it is a SAAB! 🙂 ( – not just some German mainstream-stuff… 😉

JST1981

since my Swedish is pretty limited – could some native speaker please confirm:
– no Naviagtion available (so far)
– no Sunroof
– only one leather color available
+ a set of winter tyres included

But: I have to say. Good job NEVS!! The price is totally right, very reasonable for a very good 9-3.
I wish you guys good luck and hope that we will get NEVS Saab to Germany and the rest of the world too!
Now Swedish Saab Fans put your money where your mouth is and buy!