SOTW “The Beast”

This weeks SOTW comes from Dr.Os here in the UK, at first glance a 9-3 Aero but as you can see from the picture there are a few differences and they don’t stop there. Read Os’s words below.

The car is a Saab 9-3 Aero Sports Saloon 2003 model. It has enjoyed only the one owner since new. The performance and visual creations of the car started off in 2007 with a Saab City dealership T9 upgrade package.

Since 2007, the car has undergone a complete and extensive metamorphoses, from the factory produced variant into what I lovingly refer to as “The Beast”.

With the help of a truly dedicated team of engineers lead by the Neo Brothers based in the UK, the team have continued to stretch the boundaries of technical innovations as the car continues to evolve with the future very much in mind.

In its current guise, the car is running well in excess of 400 BHP with an additional 150 BHP (Jetted at 100 BHP) computer controlled nitrous oxide injection system. At the heart of the car is a 2 litre 4 cylinder special race prepared engine coupled to a five speed automatic gearbox.

As part of the engine performance, there is also installed a MapTun equal length tubular manifold system; which in turn couples up to a full 3 inch stainless steel bespoke exhaust system created by the legendary Simpson Race exhausts.

The handling side of things is taken care of by a full set of MapTun adjustable coilovers, bespoke front strut brace, additional strengthening braces and a full complement of Powerflex polyurethane bushes for both suspension components, engine and gearbox.

Stopping power is taken care off by MapTun’s 360mm floating front disc arrangement with their renowned six pot brake callipers. Both internally and externally, the car benefits from a full bespoke custom collection of one off carbon fibre trim enhancements, this starts from the rear air diffuser and continues right through to the front grill surround.

I have added a few more pictures to Flickr for you to look at. https://www.flickr.com/photos/trollpowersaab/sets/72157626596402165/

100%Saab

Impressive, thank you.

Dr Os Reid

Thank you for you positive comment.

North Toronto Punter

Magnificent! Interested to know what (if any) mods done to gearbox (and I did read “five speed automatic gearbox”).

Dr Os Reid

The gearbox had a bigger torque converter fitted from the GM range years ago.

Jan Olesen

Wery good build but why hide the engine under covers? I like to watch it.

Dr Os Reid

To put it quite simply, the engine is very boring to look at. Visual enhancements is what is required here, if carbon fibre is good enough for Lamborghini then it is good enough for my baby.

theSandySaab

Brilliant! Very nice indeed…

Dr Os Reid

Thanks for the positive comment.

Trued

Nice car, but I am afraid the auto tranny will have a hard life with 400+ BHP.

Dr Os Reid

Oh contraire my friend, there happens to be a couple of cars in Sweden running the same auto gearbox with even more power and crucially here, no issues. If you neglect the basic service of the gearbox then you can expect trouble. Without fail the fluid gets replaced every year, also the unique skill in the company who remapped the engine; have all but elimanted the chances of damage through the huge torque under hard accelaration from gears 1 to 2. The Nitrous has been on for two years and again, no issues.

tombalas

“oh contraire mon frère” sounds better, it rhymes, and remains truer to the original French.

Love what you’ve done to the 9-3!

Patrik H

Extremely impressive. This thing is definitely a “Beast”! I must ask though. Why not just start with an ’08? The expense of changing the entire front fascia/hood/headlights from ’03-style to ’08-style must have been pricey. Must have been fun, though!

Dr Os Reid

Thank you kindly young man, the car has been owned by me since new and has undergone many changes with regards to bodywork and it’s looks. To buy a car that already looks different was never an option. Yes all my projects on the car have pushed the boundaries of what can and can’t be done. Both Neo Bros and myself are forever looking forward as to what can be done next to the Beast. This is a continuing project in which we strive and seek engineering perfection.

Mika

Have any modifications been done to the interior? Any difference in materials or dashboard to the factory make?

Dr Os Reid
Yes loads buddy, The car has had three interiors including the original half leather half cloth. Next I had the interior changed to a full grey leather interior from Neo’s. After that (Notice I did not say finally!) the third and current interior is from a TX. This is full black leather with the added comfort of electrically adjustable and heated seats. The air conditioning panel unit was replaced for the version with the heated seat controls added and programmed. The seat controls were plain plastic so I had these removed and had a custom leather cover made for them.… Read more »
Patrik H

Sounds fantastic! I would love to see some photos.

Dr Os Reid

I will see what I can sort out buddy.

baas900i

Hi, do the air scoops on the bonnet help cooling? the city saab t9 conversion came from a uk dealer?

Dr Os Reid

Yes they do assist in helping to keep the under bonnet temperatures down. The naca ducts was not a T9 option, I had these fitted after my first big turbo upgrade. They cost a small fortune to have done but I was very pleased with the end results. The T9 Saab City conversion was indeed a UK option. At the time and to my knowledge only two people had this done on the 9-3.

SHEMEL

The car looks great. I have a question, how do you get on with insurance considering these modifications ?

phermansson

In sweden at least most insurance companies will cover the car if it passes through the annual gov inspection.

Dr Os Reid
Insurance is not a problem (Now that is!) My car was originally insured for the first four years through Saab Insurance through the dealership. One more phone call from me declaring additional modifications added to them at the time made my insurance void as I had passed their acceptable level of performance enhancements. I made some phone calls and found a company called Adrian Flux. These people understand high performance and the modifiers mentality. They accepted the car straight away and I have been with them ever since. Absolutely everything is declared from the nitrous through to all carbon fibre… Read more »
elli

A really stunning car,

elli

Joe Lobo

What kind of suspension mods did you apply to this masterpiece ??? I love the way it looks from the wheel and height perspective !!! Looking forward to your feedback.

Dr Os Reid

The suspension is all MapTun coilovers with bespoke front strut and rear braces. Everywhere that can have a polyurethane bush fitted has one. The car has been especially engineed by Neo Bros to sit even lower than the coilovers originally allowed.
The full geometry has been custom adjusted for track performance, hence the front end has a more intense negative camber applied to it.

Robert heard

Dr Reid, I am not sure you will remember me, I used to work at Saab City and had talked to you on many occasions, I saw your registration on FB and just had to comment, OMG what a transformation…hope you are ok? Great reading the article and seeing that your enthusiasm for your car has not diminished.
Regards
Bob heard

Dr Os Reid
Hello Bob, I do indeed remember you young man. You were instrumental in many of the past modifications that I had done to the Beast while it was at Saab City. If memory serves me correctly, you pushed through the exclusive designs for the T9 badge after I had the package fitted. It was a real shame what happened to Saab City in East London, everyone there knew me and greeted me very warmly and nothing was ever too much trouble with regards to works done on my car. It was only in the last month before the plugged was… Read more »
Tonyb152

Looks really nice Os, so different to how i remember her at the 2012 Swedish day.

Dr Os Reid

Thanks Tony, the car will always be undergoing cosmetic surgery as part of my “keep it looking fresh” design ethos.

muppen