What I drive now while waiting for a future swedish sportscar.

As Tim Rokka mentioned in his last posting here that he has ordered a BMW 428i Xdrive. For the last two months I have been the happy owner of a BMW M4 Coupe. Last week I had a pilgrimage to Germany visiting BMW Welt + Museum and production facility in Munich. From there to a racing course at Sachsenring via a stop at the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt. The M4 is for me that Saab 9X or AEROX that Saab never made. The former owner Spyker had some racing cars but they where in my opinion sort of kit cars with an Audi engine and 100% impractical and just space for 2 people without any luggage. My present M4 has enough space to go to the BMW dealership and pick up a set of 255/40/18 wheels inside the car. Just folding the rear backrest and all the wheels fit.
It is my first rear driven car ever and I really look forward to this new relationship. Handling wise it is a supercar german motor magazine drove it on Nürburgring in 7:53 minutes. I managed in my very first timed slalom drive at the Sachsenring circuit get the best time. First time for me in a slalom in a rear wheel driven car.

IMG_2770
At Sachsenring Circuit near Dresden, Germany

IMG_2570
At the BMW welt (World) with the BMW Headquarters and Museum in the background

_DSC4465
MY favorite racing car of all times the BMW 3.5 CSL in the original M livery that has inspired me to att the racing colors to my M4. Swedish Formula 1 driver Ronnie Peterson raced BMW when not in the Lotus or March cars.

Now I am off to pick up newly blasted chassis part for my Saab 99 Turbo 4 door car. I will post more on that project here on SaabsUnited. All You guys know where the SU crew hearts are!

kochje
1 year 11 months ago

Trued, I have to get accustomed to this. Hope you do not change your avatar as well 🙂

Carlo A

Nice car ….
We are not becoming a BMW community, are we? 🙂

TonymacUK
1 year 11 months ago

Perhaps you could consider the new triple-charger Volvo?

dcpattie
1 year 11 months ago

I also love the E9 Bimmers. My dad owns a 2000CS (body by karmman) and its just the sweetest little coupe. The new M3/M4 is an absolute monster of a car. Congratulations on your new ride. As for my Saab replacement – I’m thinking perhaps a PoleStar version of the Volvo Coupe concept (better yet the shooting brake version if they ever build it) with Volvo’s Next-Gen 450hp 4-cyclinder engine might replace the NG9-5 Aero.

100%Saab

To each his own.

Just a thought.

gustaf
1 year 11 months ago

Great article. If it was posted on the BMW blog. I must ask what the interest would be for a SAAB blog site to write about BMW and their models, museum etc.? Here is my advice and feedback as a SAAB fan reading SAABSUNITED as often as I can: Write the 99 turbo article and replace this article with that one 🙂 The BMW cars and their history are fabulous but they belong to the other blog. Sincerely, one of your readers.

900 classic cab
1 year 11 months ago

We don’t even use this site for news anymore, so what’s the point of being around if the posts aren’t Saab related?

Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago

When there’s a pathetic trickle of news about NEVS, I’m sure it’ll be covered here. Until then—-if the site has to survive with photos of BMWs or even recipes for creole bow tie pasta baked with chicken, I’m in. The drought of Saab news since the Spring of 2012 has been depressing.

Doug R.
1 year 11 months ago

I agree Angelo…. Guys, face it, right now Saab is dead legally at least, the brand name… Nevs? well that is all together another sad sad story.

Any how, show all kinds of new stuff why not? Until something really happens its fun ,,, keeps us informed.

Robert
1 year 11 months ago

+1 this blog is about Saab and Saab only; If anything, then maybe occasionally also about Spyker, that fantastic Dutch sportscar design 🙂 , or Jaguar…but surely not about characterless teutonic efficiency..

Michael Specht
1 year 11 months ago

Hum… during Spyker era Saab 9-3NG was supposed to host a PSA/BMW engine, the Prince 1.6 liter. Previous Saab cars hosted german components too : ZF gear box (just like BMW cars), etc. Talking about BMW cars here isn’t so improper then. However, comparing Saab to BMW is unfair since the two companies don’t offer the same quality level.
___
PSA = Peugeot Société Anonyme, french car company.

Chris Carrier
1 year 11 months ago
I completely agree and while I don’t know what revenue this site may still generate, the fastest way to kill it is to advertise for other cars. Lets make everyone here question their own choices by waving new BMWs (or other alternatives) in their face. Yes, I get that there are no new Saab choices out there currently, I get that the authors are Saab fans at heart, I get that I have no skin in this website as a business (nevermind the $90 in skin on my NG 9-4 & 9-5). My drive to work is one big commercial… Read more »
Angelo V.

What about KIA?

lala
1 year 11 months ago

“The former owner Spyker had some racing cars but they where in my opinion sort of kit cars with an Audi engine”

You truly are a joke Trued

Coke is it
1 year 11 months ago

I really like the flames on the car!

Eagle63
1 year 11 months ago

It seems this is turning into a pro-BMW blog…, kinda sad actually..
In the 80s I used to ‘blow the doors out’ of BMW 323i and Golf GTi’s with my first Saab, a 99 Turbo (especially on wet pavement… 😉 )
Later on in the 90s I was amazed at the superiority of the 9000 compared to the 5-series BMW..
But the biggest difference was always the owners/drivers; almost the complete opposite, totally different kinda persons…
I always felt much more affinity with the friendly, intelligent drivers of Swedish cars than some of the ‘sporty’, snobby BMW people, thinking they are sooo superior….

jouni72
1 year 11 months ago

I’m holding my tongue here and on my best behaviour: I shall simply say that maybe it’s time for Tim et al to pass on the SU torch. It’s fine that you guys are moving on, but there are still hundreds of thousands of Saab drivers all over the world. I bought 2 Saabs this month and am supporting my local ‘main dealer’ who still believes there might be some fairytale ending to all of this. Now that is a Saab guy.

Filip
1 year 11 months ago

I don´t care about your BMW.
This is a Saab blog.

scand
1 year 11 months ago

Would you rather stare at a blank page? There is no saab news…

Michael Specht
1 year 11 months ago
Nice car indeed, we are certainly all pleased you ride on BMW now. NEVS isn’t dead yet though. Saabsunited could talk about companies that are also (trying to) developping electric cars. Detroit Electric, an old american brand, has been revived in 2008. After delays and fundings difficulties, just like Saab, Albert Lam (CEO) has introduced the car in 2013 (the SP:01 based on Lotus Elise chassis), and new emblem in october 2014. Unlike KJJ, Albert Lam bet on luxury sport cars branch. He has formed EV venture with China’s Geely in 2013 to develop classic electric cars though (chinese market),… Read more »
900 classic cab
1 year 11 months ago
That’s it. There are lots of good people around here, but if I constantly have to put up with BMW and Lexus and …whatever, I prefer to leave. This blog contributed for many good things, true, but it has lost the Saab soul for a while. And even if the brand exists no more, I would rather read about old Saabs or Saab related stories than about brands so big that don’t need any more advertisement. Fortunately, there are still a few good Saab blogs and I feel that I should pay them a lot more of attention. There’s a… Read more »
jouni72

Right behind you.

saabyurk
1 year 11 months ago

I think the owner’s of the SU blog ought to look at saabblog_dot_net to see how a Saab blog should be run. It’s worth using Google Translate to read it. They write a lot of speculative stuff, but it’s fun and it’s about Saab!
I’ll keep coming back here though — I’m a glutton for punishment.

david thornton
1 year 11 months ago

I agree Dave, to many negative comments on here.
I own a 2007 95 aero . Good or bad news this site should be about saabs!!
I can fully understand Tims decision to buy another brand as he is doing high mileage.
However for people like me who are only doing about 10,000 a year it is not a problem to keep there saab , look after it and it will serve them well for years to come !
Tims comments about supply of parts worries me as it could scare many saab owners into getting rid of there cars.

phermansson
1 year 11 months ago

I thought you had done that already Dave, you’ve certainly claimed to have been gone before but yet you keep on coming back? We’ve had 8 posts in total about other brands in the past 3 years, 8 posts out of 3692 posts in total… so yeah we are constantly pushing you guys towards BMW???… you are a joke Dave…!

roger
1 year 11 months ago

At the front page of SU today You have 3 out 11 posts about BMW. It’s your blog. You do what You want with it but when readers react like this you should probably better be listening.

Speaking for myself I don’t give a damn about Trueds BMW’s. Good for him if he like it but I don’t go here to read about you selling your last Saab for a BMW or Trued’s new toy. If You don’t write about Saab, Saabs or anything else Saab related I’m gone. When I come here I expect Saab related posts…

Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago
Well, I think if nothing else, it’s naturally interesting to read about what Saab lovers will move to next, considering the fact that many rade4rs here will need a new car before Saab returns—-if they ever return. I think it’s fine to have that discussion and amongst the administrators, photos of their cars as well as how they arrived at their decision is more interesting to me than some other things that are written about. Truly, it would be a lot of fun to see a graph showing what Saab owners (who would have bought another one) turn to as… Read more »
Baver
1 year 11 months ago

Sorry, not going to be fooled into buying a Chinese made long wheelbase S60 Volvo will be exporting to the USA next year. You know the price won’t be reduced. Other automakers will be watching very, very closely. Personally, I think this is suicide for Volvo in the US (unless they think they can attract an entirely different clientele). We shall soon see.

Mick E. Bice
1 year 11 months ago

The Chinese-built Volvo S60 L signals the beginning of the end of Swedish-manufactured Volvos, no doubt about that (though some people are too naive or starry-eyed to realize it or admit it to themselves, no doubt in part because the long lead times of the auto industry haven’t made it happen yet).

The question is whether this will kill the Volvo brand with it, or whether it will finally spur mainstream acceptance of Chinese-built cars. It could go either way.

svensson
1 year 11 months ago

Why would it be the end of Swedish-manufactured Volvos? Are you aware of how big investments Geely has made in Sweden, with 50% increased production capacity in Gothenburg for the coming years?

Lots of European and American car manufacturers build cars in China and it sure hasn’t stopped them from keep producing cars in their original country as well. Why would Volvo stop that?

Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago

But those other companies you point to aren’t owned by the Chinese.

svensson
1 year 11 months ago
Ok so that’s the decisive difference? Volvo is Chinese-owned which inevitably means they will move all production to China? Is it typical for Chinese companies to act like that? Is that what they do with all their investments in USA and Europe? Take it down and move it to China? Even if economic reality (transport and customs) makes it more profitable for Asian car manufacturers to produce cars locally for Europe and North America, and even though Geely has invested heavily in Volvo manufacturing capacity and R&D in Sweden and Belgium, they will still close it down and move everything… Read more »
Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago
They will do whatever they think will make the most money for them and be the best thing for their company. In China, since the government is more intertwined with businesses than most Western countries—-what’s good for China might also be a consideration. So if they can provide jobs and at the same time, build the product for less money, that adds up to more profit and more productivity in China and exports are better than imports to some extent. When will it happen? I don’t have a crystal ball, but I would guess that a lot of factors will… Read more »
Mick E. Bice
1 year 11 months ago
I think Angelo is right. And it will indeed be phased in. One particular acronym we’re bound to see a lot of in the future is “CKD”. It means “Complete Knock Down”, i.e. a kit of parts from which one can assemble a complete car. The Chinese owner of the formerly British brand MG use these already from what I’ve heard – they send CKD kits from China for final assembly in the UK, thus their cars are “Made in the UK” even though all the parts required to build them have been manufactured in China, with only the finishing… Read more »
svensson
1 year 11 months ago
To some extent, I agree with you. I remember when Volvos Chinese factory opened a while ago, Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson said this would be a good way to evaluate Chinese/Asian sub-suppliers. If the suppliers can deliver good quality parts for the Chinese factory, then there is nothing to say they can’t also deliver the same parts to European factories. Exporting parts from China to Europe will be much more cost efficient compared to exporting complete cars, so definitely this will happen. It already happens, and Volvo is not alone in this. International automotive suppliers like Delphi, Magna and Bosch… Read more »
Eagle63
1 year 11 months ago

Yes it is; when eventually the time comes to trade in my 9-3 (and Saab hasn’t brought back to life) I will buy a Volvo XC60.
I considered Audi (too Germanic), Subaru (great engines but too low grade interior), Porsche (the best but too expensive) and Ford (too mainstream).
Volvo is safe, Swedish, has interesting new engine technology, has a very nice and tastefull interior and no overly aggresive looks (like many BMWs have).

scmit02
1 year 11 months ago

As a owner of 2010 9-3 I get people are looking elsewhere, but if I want to read up on a M4 (great car btw!) I go to a BMW site. Same with Volvo, Acura, Subaru, etc. That said, it isn’t my site and as a lover of cars I do enjoy the posts. Perhaps these write-ups on other makes/models go straight to the forums?

This main page should be for uniting the Saab community hence SaabsUnited!

StefanH STHLM
1 year 11 months ago

So U bought a Bus? Its the third most common bus in Swedish bus lanes, after Scania and Volvo buses.
😉

Coke is it

ROTFL

SaabKen
1 year 11 months ago

It’s a very sad day for the SaabsUnited (and global Saab) community when two of the site’s key figures talk, or brag, about their new BMWs.

Marque
1 year 11 months ago
OK, an M3 is an M3 (pardon me, today it’s M4) in the motor industry, and congratulations to your purchase and have fun and be safe with it. This is with all due respect to the creators and editors, and to Trued, our 99 restorer- and car racer guru…. But yes this bimmer thing might have grown on us really over the top now. Saab is Saab and BMW can’t take over a Saab blog because the authors start to claim “It’s a so hard fact and superior you just gotta gulp this and sit down”. Actually, there are /… Read more »
Michael
1 year 11 months ago

Hey – you have been close to were I live. The Sachsenring Circuit is close to the city of Chemnitz. A historic place for all motor enthusiasts. Amongst lots of other keypoints in motorcar history, the Grandpa of the SAAB twostroke engine has been developed and manufactured here before WWII. I will stick to my two 9k and to my 900. Seems SAAB is getting to a youngtimer brand for the time now. Here in Saxony – we also have a strong SAAB community too. There is a meeting with roundtrip organized two times in a year.

Joe
1 year 11 months ago

What we are witnessing above, is a transition.
True SAAB fanatics will transition to a group of folks keeping their cars interesting by adding modifications, creating customized rides, in the absence of new vehicles coming from the factory.
Some folks, understandably, are showing anger and frustration over the reality that it is likely “over” for the brand, and are having difficulty in seeing SU leadership moving on in some ways. It is exemplary of an admission to the current status of the brand.

Chris Carrier
1 year 11 months ago

Thanks, papa Joe. Where would we be without you to categorize us?

Joe
1 year 11 months ago

Thanks for the complement, Chris! I did give much thought to my post. Glad you find it constructive.

theSandySaab
1 year 11 months ago
All the M’s and now the M4 are really nice cars, no question about it. While I was extremely happy with my Saab 900 SE Coupe in 1996, one of my friends had a 328i Coupe 1996 and the dynamics were like night and day. In direct comparison, the BMW manual gearbox was really nice with a solid feel, while the Saab was a bit spongy. The BMW steering was crisp and direct with amazing road feel, likely due to chassi tune and the RWD. The 900 was very front heavy, steering a bit indirect and with torque steer when… Read more »
Chris Carrier
1 year 11 months ago

I do make assumptions about BMW drivers here in the states. Perhaps they do about me as well. Maybe it’s different elsewhere.

Marque
1 year 11 months ago

The same in Hungary for the last 20 years now or so. (With the passage that with the beginning of the Bangle-era, the scene got a bit bursted/diversified but no big overall improvements, moral-wise at least.) But the worst news is that a lot of other brands’ drivers started to claim and copy the “BMW Fanatics” “pregorative” conduct for themselves and so everything got even worse. 🙂

1 year 11 months ago

“It is my first rear driven car ever and I really look forward to this new relationship”.

Be careful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKE-f7y_Ao

BMW Rider
1 year 11 months ago
Nice car, I’d have not gotten the colorful graphics, not my taste, but not my money either. I like BMW’s motorcycles, I have owned several and still have my R1150RS, their cars are OK, I’ve shopped for them bought never bought one. In fact I bought my first new Saab 9-3 convertible over the BMW 3 series convertible in 1999 – at the time the Saab was much more for the money at that time. A better convertible for sure. Working for a German company and visiting there at least once a year for past 20 years I found it… Read more »
3cyl
1 year 11 months ago

BMW bikes seem to be going the way of their cars. Performance and the associated complexity seem to be dominating their new bike designs as evidenced by the introduction of limited water cooling on the opposed twins. I guess this is necessary to achieve more power, but BMW already has a line of fours with leading edge performance as well as water cooled vertical twins. Incidently, I also ride a BMW 1150 (R model) and have never owned one of their cars.

Eagle63
1 year 11 months ago
It seems some people here on BMWUnited have a ‘superiority complex’. They must have equipment that they perceive as being ‘the best’, with much less emphasis to other important factors, like heritage, design philosophy, character etc. If its superiority you’re after you should never have come to Saab; Saab is about being different and unconventional, about safety, ‘Swedishness’ and having a link with aviation (a 9000 or pre-2007 9-3 with push-button dash exudes a very aircraft-like atmosphere that no BMW can match). Cars are a lot like people; I prefer to hang out with the friendly, pleasant and interesting folks… Read more »
Jesse Crandle
1 year 11 months ago

I drive BMWs every day of my work week, and I have to say I HATE getting in and out of their coupes. Now I understand on a regular basis you won’t be getting in and out 50-100 times per day like me, but I enjoy getting in and out of the sedans much more. Would I buy a coupe over a sedan? Maybe, it’s hard to say, but since I do use them so much it’s a tough call at this point lol.

Aero1
1 year 11 months ago

BMW as a superior car? Maybe in a humble opinion. .I would rather drive a 14 year old SAAB with rust.The whole reason for joining this site (community) was to read, see SAAB products.and articles. I really could care less about reading about how awesome a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc…is.

Besides, my opinion is that any Audi RS is better than any run of the mill BMW.

Baver
1 year 11 months ago

I still love my NG 9-5 Aero. After reading posts on here over the past month, I have become very worried about future parts availability. Unfortunately, I am not in a very good position to part with my car. If I were to find a buyer, I would have to trade way down..to a rolling appliance. I just can’t bring myself to do that…yet. I wish I had the resources to keep my Saab and buy a 4 or 5 series for my daily driver, but I don’t. Real life sucks sometimes.

Sensonic
1 year 11 months ago
I’d never purchase a BMW. I still own my trusty NG900 Turbo but for everyday’s driving I’ve chosen Skoda Superb Combi. Was the biggest company car I could get so that was my choice. I could’ve also get BMW, Audi or Volvo but they’re not really my cup of tea. But if I wouldn’t have children, maybe then I would’ve chosen Volvo V60 (was very good to drive). IMO BMW’s philosophy is different to SAAB’s so that’s why I wouldn’t waste my dime/time on them. The Skoda I’ve been using has worked like a charm. Not a single fault, the… Read more »
zvovesny
1 year 11 months ago

I can’t find better opposite to Saab than a BMW. And I’ll rather find spare/tuning parts info or look in the history here than a BMW photos. It hurts my eyes on this blog. No matter how I acclaim BMW’s for their technical superiority. Just my cent.

JONATHAN PRICE
1 year 11 months ago

Whatever happened to all those BMW engines that disappeared in the Saab factory? Strange to think that latter Saabs could have been powered by BMW engines.

Eagle63
1 year 11 months ago

I don’t have a problem with BMW technology; the engines are among the best. What I don’t like are their way too aggresive looks and the glitzy interiors nowadays (that attracts all those maniacs we see driving around like they own the road).

Some time ago (10 years or so?), BMWs still had professional looking dashboards with lots of small black pushbuttons, similar to many Saabs and aircraft flightdecks.

Psycho Dave
1 year 11 months ago

That is it, I have now deleted my saabsunited link. Have a good time here…

3cyl
1 year 11 months ago

No need to go psycho over this Dave.

3cyl
1 year 11 months ago

I drove a superior BMW recently. A classic 635CSI with a Corvette engine / manual transmission conversion.

e050367
1 year 11 months ago

Why is this car here, isn´t this a site for saabers any more? If you have lost faith in SAAB already why not leave the community as well?

Robert Myre
1 year 11 months ago

Bless me, Trued, for I have sinned. I drove my wife’s Chevy Equinox 3 times this week… and I may have coveted a coworker’s Jaguar F-Type. 🙂

Tom Nelson
1 year 11 months ago
I also have sinned…….. about 13 years ago when I bought my wife an S2000 for her 60th birthday. She quickly recovered by replacing it in less than 2 years, with a new 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero SC…… nothing but Saabs since then. And we are fortunate, at age 73, that we now have two Saabs that will probably last us to the end of our motoring lives. We have the 2009 9-3 Aero SC XWD and the 2011 NG 9-5, as daily drivers, as well as the 1986 900T CV, and a handful of 2-stroke Saab 96’s and a… Read more »
troy
1 year 11 months ago
Come on guys. I have more than one car and I always have. I didn’t go telling everyone on this site though. I have a 1993 SVT Cobra mustang. When I talk about it I go to A Mustang and Ford forum. I have a Saab 9-5 Aero year 2007 and I love it as much as my Mustang but I don’t talk about it on the Ford site. As far as selling your last Saab because you are afraid of parts, etc. and owning a Saab blog, I think you are ridiculous. If you can afford a brand new… Read more »
Eagle63
1 year 11 months ago

I agree 100; its all kinda absurd really….

troy
1 year 11 months ago

The above reply is directed at Tim more than Trued. Trued still has 6 Saabs and Tim has 0.

Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago
The dealer where I bought my Saab back in 2004—-moved down the street and they are surviving. Obviously, they haven’t had new Saabs to sell in quite a while. Muller went out of business and NEVS failed. So they are surviving by servicing Saabs and other car lines and selling used Saabs and other used cars. So they went from a shop that sold Saabs and serviced Saabs, to a shop that sells used Saabs and other used cars, services Saabs and services other cars. The point? The point is that when a company has fallen, there is fallout that… Read more »
Angelo V.
1 year 11 months ago

Meant to say that NEVS has fixed it so that there is nothing to report about NEW Saabs. Speaking of fixing things, how about fixing that “edit post” function!

troy
1 year 11 months ago

I was wondering if anyone has a small oil leak that drips on the exhaust and has a burning smell in their cabin from it. On a 2007 saab 9-5 aero. These are the kinds of questions and forums we need. Help each other out to keep our cars on the road. Also, does anyone know where to get a door handle pull for the same model year. It’s been on backorder forever. Any ideas?

These are the things we do on the Mustang forums.