RE-POSTED to the top, just bring a new emphasis now that a new bunch are awake.
With 12,000+ comments in the last 20+ days, things have been pretty busy around here. I get an email for each comment so that I can see the tone of conversation and take action where required. I’ve posted some notes below so that you can help me keep things under control here.
I can’t say enough about how great it is that people are keeping one another up to date here in the hours I’m getting some sleep.
The news is coming through thick and fast and I’m eternally grateful for the help I receive in covering it all so that we can remain completely up to date with what’s going on.
As the volume of comments increases, it’s getting harder and harder for people to see what’s actually going on. It’s one of those “can’t see the forest because of all the trees” situations.
We already have a comments policy here at SU and I’d urge you to read it. Particularly the part about making your point once.
A few other things to consider:
- Before you drop a news tip or URL in comments to the first post on the site, please scroll down the front page have a look to see if there is already an article on the website about the story you’re thinking of linking to. It may have already been covered.
- Before you drop a news tip or URL in comments, please have a look to see if someone else has done it already.
- Please don’t cut and paste an entire news report in a language other than English. Just the URL is fine if it’s not already in there.
- We might have to lighten up on the witty repartee, depending on the nature of the post. I love it as much as anyone because it builds community, but right now the news cycle is red-hot and we need to remain on point. If the topic has been covered adequately, then please feel free, but if it’s fresh, then please allow the comments area to remain focused.
- There haven’t been many, but if they come around, don’t feed the trolls (i.e. people just dropping in to pick an argument).
I absolutely love the community here and I don’t want to discourage any of that interaction. However, I’m just conscious of the user experience remaining positive for everyone at this sensitive time.
Thanks for all your help.