This week we didn’t receive many entries for SAAB Of The Week until the last couple of days. That being said, I made the choice on Saab of the week based on the uniqueness of the Saab and the passion for making it so much more than stock. The vehicle below belongs to Nikolaos Spyriadis from Athens, Greece. Nikolaos must have had a hunch that I would choose his car because his description below is as if it were already announced and rightfully so because he has turned this already amazing car into a beast. What I would give to see the look on an unassuming sports car drivers face when this 9-3 leaves it behind off the line.
Great job Nikolaos, thanks for sharing with us. Keep your entries coming to jason.d.powell[email protected] and read the description below of all the serious upgrades that have been done to this car.
SAAB Of The Week
This week’s “SAAB Of The Week” comes from Athens, Greece. The car is a 2008 Saab 9-3 2.8T Aero Convertible. From the outside it looks like an ordinary 9-3 cabrio but under the bonnet the engine has been treated with Maptun Stage 5 with the ambition to bring it to the desired target of 400hp/550Nm. The car on the road is “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” as being very fast! Stage 5 is not included in Maptun’s regular product line (which ends up to only Stage 4) and it is sort of an “experimental” stage. The following alterations have been made to the engine:
1. Stage 5 Maptun software (400Hp/480Nm) plus MapTuner
2. Hybrid TD05HL-20G turbo unit with new oil and water piping
3. Custom turbo exhaust manifold (to accommodate the new turbo unit)
4. Ferrita 3” stainless steel downpipe with HKS sport metallic catalyst (200 cells)
5. 3” cat-back twin-pipe exhaust with free-flow middle silencer and Maptun end-mufflers
6. Maptun Intercooler 9-3 2.8T/V6 with SAMCO silicone hoses
7. Bosch fuel injectors 630cc with wiring harness
8. Metallic delivery intake pipe
9. Large conical free-flow air filter
10. Sachs Performance 6-puck clutch kit with reinforced pressure plate
11. Forge metallic electronic bypass charge control valve (fitted with a custom base plate)
12. Denso iridium spark plugs (gap set to 0.8mm)
13. Brand new Bosch ignition coils
The experimental Stage 5 software is not finished yet and it needs some fine-tuning by Maptun to bring it to the desired 400hp target. As it is right now (with an experimental ECU software) the car has been measured on a TAT Dyno Systems to give out 356.4 PS (262.0 kW) at 5462rpm and 505.7 Nm at 4118 rpm (see attached graph). On the road it drives well up to the red line and when pressed hard it just disappears from the vision of nearby drivers!
Maptun is expected to finish the software soon and transform the car to a real “supercar”.