I started to post my project 2 years ago, but it is still ongoing. The more I am “drilling” into the depth, the more is revealed. The 2017 summer I drove to Aalborg to replace the soft top including a new heated rear window. On the return trip to Sweden there was a terrible rain storm. We really tested the new soft top! Back in the garage I found water in the trunk so I realized that there was leakage somewhere. The rear quarter windows lift did not work + suddenly the soft top hydraulics stopped working. The decision to make a winter project to get the car in a better condition was taken.
What I have done so far this winter:
1. Repaired both lift motors – driving cog wheels stuck with hardened old grease. Cleaned and greased. In the same run I removed the lifting mechanism so I could clean the drainage outlets and make a proper rust protection. Greased the mechanism before installation.
2. Repaired defective hydraulic cylinder – O-ring was leaking, probably due to age and lack of usage. Dismantled the cylinder and change the ring. Cleaned the hydraulic system and reservoir. Full instruction found on You-Tube.
3. Electric window heater did not work – The time-relay was missing. Purchased a used one on eBay.
4. Water leakage was localized to be caused by many rusted spots in the rear inner wings, lower part on both sides. I have cut out all rusted areas and have to make by hand replacement plates and weld them. The process is ongoing. There is also heavy rusted areas in the trunk floor along the side to side joint. I have not yet decided what to do.
5. The rear axle is heavily rusted. I plan to remove it to get it sand blasted and painted. I will replace the shock’s. They are probably 30 years old – as the car.
I guess this is about all I can manage to do this winter. I hope to get the car on the road by end of May. Time will show.